Unknown Good Movies

wrestling ernest hemingway (richard harris, robert duvall, sandra bullock), 2 lonely retirees meet, bond and learn the value of friendship.

walk in the clouds (keanu reaves), a chocolate salesman/ war veteran agrees to help a pregnant damsel in distress by posing as the father of her child

bicycle thief (i dont even remember) a foreign film about an indigent man who looks for his stolen bicycle (its indispensable in his job)

Il Postino - a postman asks the help of an exiled poet to woo the woman he loves

Crossroads (Ralph Macchio) a classical music guitarist student helps a condemned harmonica player free his soul from a contract he signed with the devil. the guitar confrontation between Macchio and "the guitarist" from hell was very cool. including the piece he used to win the contest.

Edited by bakedzitiguy

Off the top of my head:

Blazing Saddles, History of the World Pt. 1, Spaceballs - Mel Brooks at his finest; no one could spoof movie conventions as good as him

The Host, Volcano High, Oldboy - Korean films are already catching up...when will Filipino films ever attain such degrees of excellence?????

Dog Soldiers - Werewolves vs. SAS squaddies...exactly the kind of horror flick Garth Ennis would've scripted

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Johnny Depp delivers as usual as Raoul Duke in Terry Gilliam's brash, ballsy adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's memoirs...a total turnaround from Willy Wonka and Capt. Jack Sparrow. Awesome PD & soundtrack

Maybe I'm just old, that's why some of the "unknowns" are just really good old and not-so-old movies that came out before and during "my time". I'm really not THAT old! Hahahahah!

Examples: Citizen Kane (voted number 1 of the Top 100 greatest movies of all time), Stand By Me, Space Balls, History of the World Part 1, Stand and Deliver, Trainspotting and Boogie Nights (definitely not unknowns).

BUT: definite must-watches these films.

Here's one relative unknown, got ditched after a week here in the Phil:

LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS (A Guy Ritchie Film)

Before SNATCH, there was LSATSB. Eddie is a cardsharp who gets into a high-stakes game with "Hatchet" Harry (sextoy king and mobster boss) with money he and his three friends Tom, Bacon (Jason Statham) and Soap put together. He loses the money after getting cheated out of it in the game, and now has a week to get the money he owes or he starts losing body parts and eventually, his dad's (J.D., played by Sting) bar. The usual Guy Ritchie plot twists and crosses involve a trio of ganja growers and their psychotic black boss, Eddie's neighbors who are a gang of thieves who have no qualms with homicide, the debt collector Big Chris (Vinnie Jones) and his son Little Chris, and a couple of bungling burglars (aka F**ckn northern monkeys).

Yan ba yung pumunta yung isa dun sa Club Vandersexx at pinasukan ng 4 ng rotating dildos :boo:

uu pare.. un nga un...

but still in d end okay naman knalabasan..

tpos dhil sa ABSINTH nadale ung magkapatid.. ahahaha...

pinaka astig was nag DO sila sa loob ng "confession chamber" if thats the term..

and dami tlaga hottie sa movie na ito..

dont tell scotty!!! ahahaha

Revelation

I know it has a lot of bad reviews (if googled) but i liked it. It was somehow the "Da Vinci Code" of 2001.

I watched it on its premier opening, even bought the DVD when it came out. :D

The movie revolved on the idea that Christ can be reborn from his DNA. The nails that were used to hang Jesus to the cross were hidden in a wooden box (loculus) and had been hidden from the evil Templars. Eventually at the end, a direct decendant of Jesus and Mary Magdalene was born at the same time that the evil Templars presented to the world as the Second Coming the DNA-regenerated Christ. How fascinating is that?

Viewers are then left to conclude whether the world will then be under a false Christ, or the true Savior.

Oh by the way, be warned.

THIS CONTAIN SPOILERS. :upside:

maybe not really "unkown"...baka mas tama yung word na "under-rated"...

1) the classic (korean title: keurlaesik) - the story of a timid young college girl writing love letters for a friend who's to shy to express her feelings. and the guy happens to be her crush as well. as the story goes along, she finds a box of love letters, her mother's and she discovered similarities of her mother's love story to hers. the movie is indeed a "classic": nice cinematography, story full of juxtaposition, twists & tragedy. but ultimately, a happy ending...oh, by the way, this was directed by the same guy who brought us my sassy girl.

2) t** guk gi - the story of 2 brothers drafted to fight for south korea during the korean war. eventually, one defected to the communist north. all because one wants to protect his brother. i would say this one is as good if not better than saving private ryan.

3) in the bedroom - no, this is not a sex-drama flick. sorry to disappoint you guys. it's a story about a young college bound guy falling for a single mom of two who happens to have a violent ex-husband. death. revenge. tragedy. tom wilkinson gave an outstanding "restained "performance as the father of the young dude stricken with grief. a different take on violence & its subsequent aftermath.

more later...

Nice movie lists guys! Didn't know there were so many movies I missed out, specially on the international scene. Although I did watch around 30-40% of whatever was mentioned on this thread.

For the next posts, could we get a brief synopsis of what the movies about? Kasi sometimes it might not be a person's cup of tea, and we all know what we're getting into when we look for the movie.

if you like Ichi the Killer, then get Battle Royale, brutal as well.

Eurotrip is one of the best movies ever made

-Scotty doesn't know in different remix versions

-Mi Scuzzi

-the safe word

-Robot Fight!

-f*cking Frommer's Travel Guides

-Bratislava = teh best country in the world.

kitano's battle royale is really something. it could be a benchmark for a sub-genre of an action film. but i wouldn't really call it brutal. i'd say it is twisted.

and speaking of kitano, the guy got some bad-ass movies to his credit. "brother" is one. lots of gun fighting, nocholant-bad-boy-gangsta-killing. think quentin tarantino's resevoir dogs with more dead bodies.

oh, by the way, takeshi kitano's take on zatoichi, the blind swordsman is the best i've seen of all those zatoichi flicks.

yeah, richard linklater's before sunrise & before sunset is indeed samshing! i wish i've seen it earlier. it could have changed they things then...ha ha ha. dinibdib?! LOL

unknown good movies? i got one in my mind right now. a feel-good one. it's at the top 5 in imdb.com but i'm under the impression that this one is quite unheralded here in the PI. well anyway, it's tim robbins & morgan freeman's randem in "shawshank redemption". the story of a two improsined men, of different circumstances. bonding and eventually finding redemption.

Guest brutus
there's this one movie that my mom really really like that she even bought a copy for each of my sisters and brothers just to make sure that we'd watch it. its entitled 'its a beautiful life"

it's about having second chance in life!!!

• 2 weeks later...