Feeling Rich, Looking Rich And Claiming To Be Rich

This weekend, i got a comment from my sister who lives in NY that got me stumped... Sabi niya...bakit daw mga Pinoy has this NEED to establish in ANY social interaction that they are RICH..

Your thoughts please..

I believe that this dates back to the time of the Spaniards. Filipinos (er, Indios) were considered second class islanders or even lower. Even Mestizos (in the 60s these were know as the "mestizo de entre suelo) born in the island belonged to a lower strata when compared to a Spanish migrant. However, the process of social assimilation by the Filipino with the Mestizos and Spaniards had a pre-requisite of land and wealth. This was very evident in Rizal's novels, particularly, with Dona Victorina. Up to this day, wealth and influence became the standard of the Filipinos' acceptance in the society or community he/she revolves in, not just abroad but even locally.

The situation never improved because the Philippines never had the occasion to broaden its middle class. The landed and the hacenderos wielded power and influence during the post-Spanish rule. It got worse during Marcos' time, where only a handful of cronies benefitted. To have influence and wealth, cronies stole from that state. Corruption was a way to get rich. This carried on during Cory's, FVR's, Erap's term. Well, need I say more for GMA's term?

Filipinos are proud! Among the countries in Asia, we are one race where bowing is not customary -- Japan, China, Korea, India, Thailand etc. bowing is part of their tradition. Filipinos, they nod their heads by lifting their chin.

A false pretense from one of the poorest country in Asia!

Edited by masi
This weekend, i got a comment from my sister who lives in NY that got me stumped... Sabi niya...bakit daw mga Pinoy has this NEED to establish in ANY social interaction that they are RICH..

Your thoughts please..

Well. I believe that money makes the world go round.

The more money you have the more power you have.

Power = control. And everybody wants to be in control.

I had that observation for a long time borne by my trips overseas.

I have learned the art of bowing for a long time since I've been dealing with Japanese and Chinese (Taiwanese and Mainland) for more than a decade. The bow is the most respectful gesture a man could make to a man or a woman. I put it higher than our "mano po" or the typical "faux pas" of the "beso-beso".

Filipinos have an identification with Americana. The fake slang and twang, the Starbucks culture, the CA fashion sense, and showbiz. etc. Elsewhere in Asia, Asians have their own sense of identity -- the Malaysians, Singaporeans, Thais, Taiwanese, Koreans and Japanese. Tayo, we act as if we are the 52nd state (even at least in our dreams)!!!!

If every Filipino puts his mind, body and soul to productive work, we will have a wider middle class.

Then we can catch up with the rest of Asia, not only in having a truly Asian identity but in our economy, as well.

Colonial Mentality

Filipinos have an identification with Americana. The fake slang and twang, the Starbucks culture, the CA fashion sense, and showbiz. etc. Elsewhere in Asia, Asians have their own sense of identity -- the Malaysians, Singaporeans, Thais, Taiwanese, Koreans and Japanese. Tayo, we act as if we are the 52nd state (even at least in our dreams)!!!!

i really never really thought about it til i read the posts here. you guys have something here. i sometimes ask some of my friends why they need to buy the latest most expensive mobile phones...some say coz it's better, some says coz it's new...but then thinking about what i've absorbed here in the topic, would it be perhaps along the lines of a short cut to people thinking you are rich coz you can afford such devices?

Edited by Sgt Oinky

Maybe it is just human nature .....

We want something that we do not have, we want something that no one else have and we want it a lot more than anyone else ......

Oh but the hongkonese and the koreans try to look like the japs as well...

In fact I have complimented a good number of ladies in HKG about looking

japanese and it had been a thrill for many of them.

Remember the times when only a few have cellphones? ..... it was damn expensive and only the Richie Rich have....

Now that almost everyone has a cellphone .... Richie richies have or want to have the TOP of the line phone models with hi-tech features .. gold plated etc etc

Human nature ....

i really never really thought about it til i read the posts here. you guys have something here. i sometimes ask some of my friends why they need to buy the latest most expensive mobile phones...some say coz it's better, some says coz it's new...but then thinking about what i've absorbed here in the topic, would it be perhaps along the lines of a short cut to people thinking you are rich coz you can afford such devices?

Your thoughts please..

For SOME Filipinos, it NOT good enough to show that they are DECENT.. they need to show na AFFLUENT sila - whether real or imagined...my observation - bragging rights dinadaan sa anong latest acquisition nila, kung ano ang branded na mga gamit sila, ano at saan sila kumain, sino kasama nila....okay lang yon, actually, kung within CONTEXT but for the just so...just cause..maisingit lang mentions para lang magmukhang nakakahigit sila, yun ang PANIS :thumbsdownsmiley:

I agree with Masi..there is a psycho-socio-cultural explanation to this quirk. :thumbsupsmiley:

Something about the phrasing of the topic smacks of elitism (which may not be deliberate). Not everyone is 'organically' wealthy, most people work for it. And it may not be such a bad thing if they choose to reward themselves with the finer things in life. If a 'Class C' (economically) person has a 'Class A' (price-wise)phone we can't punish him for crossing the lines.

For those working abroad, it is such a strain being apart from your family and being a second-class citizen. The only way to press on is to continually remind yourself why you are there -- to earn. And I think there is a need to display or demonstrate that you are succeding at your objective. It is still a better thing to talk about. If OFW's abroad would only talk about their families or brag about their children they'd all end up sobbing in five minutes.

There is a lot to be said however for responsible spending and living within your means. But we have to be careful that we aren't looking down on people because they don't deserve to be rich, feel rich, or look richer than they may actually be on any other day of the week.

what ive noticed with some filipino kids/teens who has rich parents is that they brag about wat they have or intentionally showing it off to others. its not bad to have those but for Gods sake its not even theirs, it was their parents who worked for it.haha

Something about the phrasing of the topic smacks of elitism (which may not be deliberate). Not everyone is 'organically' wealthy, most people work for it. And it may not be such a bad thing if they choose to reward themselves with the finer things in life. If a 'Class C' (economically) person has a 'Class A' (price-wise)phone we can't punish him for crossing the lines.

For those working abroad, it is such a strain being apart from your family and being a second-class citizen. The only way to press on is to continually remind yourself why you are there -- to earn. And I think there is a need to display or demonstrate that you are succeding at your objective. It is still a better thing to talk about. If OFW's abroad would only talk about their families or brag about their children they'd all end up sobbing in five minutes.

There is a lot to be said however for responsible spending and living within your means. But we have to be careful that we aren't looking down on people because they don't deserve to be rich, feel rich, or look richer than they may actually be on any other day of the week.

point taken. good points of view. i should have expounded more...well, there are those i know that would rather spend on this and that than take of themselves. like seeing a doctor or a dentist. or even going hungry for a while or living off their friends as long as they get their material want. For me, what people spend on is really none of my business. But it's more of the why factor. I suppose i should feel lucky i know how to spend my money the smart way.

What i am pointing out here is that ... for most Filipinos, its not a GOOD impression most want BUT an impression that they are RICH / AFFLUENT. Isnt it enough that the impression we make is that we are a DECENT person/s. Doesnt that count for something??? ..kelangan ba talaga na RICH ..feeling..looking like one para lang maging acceptable...this isnt meant to start a discourse on how one spends money..or how one shows that he has made it..

Edited by augustmoon

i see. well, some people who want to emulate that they are what they are not most likely will want to look the part. while there are more who simply want to look decent. but i do know my fare share of people whom i do not associate with as much who have those fake feelings and attitudes.

just my 2 BBs worth

I had a Philosophy teacher in college who often states the difference between "OLD and NEW" rich..

According to him, new rich people often flaunt what they have.. Buying luxurious cars, remodelling their houses (or even buying a new one), and buying stuff to flaunt.. jewelries, watches, signature clothes, newest phones/gadgets, etc. etc... Kasi nga daw mayroon pa silang gustong ipakita dahil hindi nila ito naranasan noon..

Old rich folks do not flaunt what they have because they have been affluent ever since they were born.. and they do not find anyting worthwhile in flaunting riches..

Interesting perception, right? But I really don't agree.. Why?

Because even old rich folks flaunt.. Especially when provoked.. Society (even abroad), IMO, worships the rich, and the powerful.. So in a way, if society perceives a person as a lowlife, respect is not given to him/her.. And because respect is also part of what people seek, we sometimes try not just to look decent but also to look rich (especially if one does have power and riches) so as to gain respect from society..

I personally don't act and look rich.. Nor do I claim to be rich.. But sometimes, I do find it necessary to flaunt.. Its not just acceptance.. Its also to gain respect from people who value riches and power above all things.. You say that you should not associate with these kinds of people? I'd say, what if its necessary to associate with them?

We can't change society's viewpoint.. We sometimes have to join in.. Although it sucks.. But what can we do? We are mainly specks of atoms if compared to society as a whole..

Just my two pesos worth.. :D

Edited by revi
What i am pointing out here is that ... for most Filipinos, its not a GOOD impression most want BUT an impression that they are RICH / AFFLUENT. Isnt it enough that the impression we make is that we are a DECENT person/s. Doesnt that count for something??? ..kelangan ba talaga na RICH ..feeling..looking like one para lang maging acceptable...this isnt meant to start a discourse on how one spends money..or how one shows that he has made it..

growing up among my peers, we would always joke a fil-chi adage "kung wa la ka pe la, wa la ka kwen ta!" how this got to be a discussion point among my peers, i have not the faintest of ideas.

whoever coined it really got his money's worth!

looking and feeling rich is a way to get accepted, but the sad part is that rich people don't need to lift a finger to get accepted. let me share a personal experiencs.... i was going to attend a meeting convened at a hotel in makati. i parked my car in the basement and i was just about to close the door of the elevator when someone shouted "hold it" and i did. a person, whose namesake is the same as Makati's golden mile, rode the elevator.

he thanked me for holding the elevator and i acknowledged it by saying "you're welcome!" when the elevator doors opened on the ground floor , i said "have a nice day" and he retorted, "you too".

in my quarter of a century life as a "makati-based" professional, i've met the most down-to-earth ceos and coos. as well as the most boisterous and boastful staff managers and junior executives.

maybe a case of "chihuahua syndrome"

Edited by masi
what ive noticed with some filipino kids/teens who has rich parents is that they brag about wat they have or intentionally showing it off to others. its not bad to have those but for Gods sake its not even theirs, it was their parents who worked for it.haha

This is very true.

Well I think the nouveau rich want the finer things in life because they did not afford those stuff before and they're just making up for lost time. So we really can't blame them for that.

But being nouveau rich isn't wrong.

Becoming a conceited nouveau rich who thinks too highly of himself/herself is pathetic.

Co-sign my buddy redshirt on this!!! Its like me when I was back in elementary school. I used always admire the well to do kids with their fancy Sneakers. I still remember...lol. My mom would only buy me a pair of white Reebok runners. When they would get old I would just use washable color markers and just buy matching laces with them so it would seem like I would have a semi new pair! Now that I am older and broker! LOL... I get the sneakers that I want!

Co-sign my buddy redshirt on this!!! Its like me when I was back in elementary school. I used always admire the well to do kids with their fancy Sneakers. I still remember...lol. My mom would only buy me a pair of white Reebok runners. When they would get old I would just use washable color markers and just buy matching laces with them so it would seem like I would have a semi new pair! Now that I am older and broker! LOL... I get the sneakers that I want!

• 3 weeks later...

Mga Pinoy lang ba?

Sabi ni Maslow sa kanyang Hierarchy of Needs, kapag nalagpasan mo na ang basic needs (food, clothing and shelter, etc) natural sa tao ang maghangad ng confidence, achievement, recognition, respect of and by others. Symbols of success ang material wealth kaya people try to establish and project some level of "affluence." Kapag nalampasan iyan, self-actualization needs naman (morality, lack of prejudice, creativity, understanding and acceptance of the world around one's self, etc).

Baka naman ang mga Pinoy, in general, ay wala pa dun sa highest level according to Maslow. :hypocritesmiley:

ego boost

During one JG Summit stockholders' meeting, I saw John Gokongwei take out a plastic Pepsi watch (the freebie kind) from his pocket. This guy is a billionaire and yet, he was content with having a plastic watch to tell the time. Amazing guy.

There is also this senior guy in our office - a very accomplished and wealthy man, founded his own firm over 30 years ago and made it one of the country's top professional service firms. He goes around in a Kia Besta (a gift from a client-friend), wears barongs which have torn collars, and sports a cheap looking watch.