Name Of The Teacher You Won't Forget

sir ramon francisco... even if half of his body is already paralyzed... he still continues to fulfill his duty as an educator...

it was in his class that i had the opportunity to express my own style of writing... he appreciated it and even made some constructive criticisms that i applied to my works later on... my only regret is that i always come a few minutes late for his class... yet he still forgives me... and he knows the two possible reasons why i'm late... either i was busy editing the articles for the school paper... or i was busy stroking the cue stick inside a billiard hall...

such fond memories... and i intend to adopt his style of teaching if fate allows me to become a college instructor just like him...

sir josephrally chavez...taxation 1

sa kanya ko nakuha motto ko sa buhay..he said this in one of his lectures...

"hindi ako gwapo pero hinding-hindi mo masasabing pangit ako"

hanggang ngayon yun ang sinasabi ko sa mga girls na dinidiskartehan ko..and okey naman

kaya sir chavez sana pumasa ka sa bar exams this year..lufet mo!!!

sir ramon francisco... even if half of his body is already paralyzed... he still continues to fulfill his duty as an educator...

it was in his class that i had the opportunity to express my own style of writing... he appreciated it and even made some constructive criticisms that i applied to my works later on... my only regret is that i always come a few minutes late for his class... yet he still forgives me... and he knows the two possible reasons why i'm late... either i was busy editing the articles for the school paper... or i was busy stroking the cue stick inside a billiard hall...

such fond memories... and i intend to adopt his style of teaching if fate allows me to become a college instructor just like him...

Hey, he was my professor too (a long time ago, when he was still in good health)...UST ka rin ba?

He was such a cool professor. Sorry to hear about his present physical condition. He recommended me for a scholarship during my time. Too bad I didn't get it because I didn't do well during the interview with the scholarship sponsors.

PM for you bro.

I feel lucky because I learned from some of the best school teachers of Cerritos’ ABC Unified School district (e.g. Mr. Tom Watson, Mrs. Eve Dow, Mrs. Jackson-8th grade History teacher, Mr. Jeff Green, Mr. Ken Baughman, Mr. Armstrong - World History teacher, Ms. Yamaguchi - high school English teacher, Mrs. Rachel Rach, Mrs. Maria Fiero, Mr. Russell Brose, Mr. McIlhaney - U.S. history teacher, Mr. Ian Desbrough, Coach Jim Chapel - English teacher and basketball coach, Ms. Mejia - French teacher, Ms. Curry – Chemistry teacher, Mr. Neville – Biology teacher, and Mr. Mark Cheverton). With these people’s help, I made it to U.C.L.A.

I probably will never forget those that I wrote above, but the teacher that I’ll always remember is Professor Gerry Crough. He taught some of the PIC (program in computing) classes at U.C.L.A. in the late 80’s and early 90’s (he still may be there). He insisted that everyone call him Gerry. If you saw this guy outside of the lecture hall, you would think that he just walked out of the homeless shelter. He sported a thick “dirty” beard and wore his thinning hair long. He looked and dressed like a bum. It seemed that he always wore the same oversized white shirt and loose khaki pants. From what I remember, his shoes even had holes.

Aside from his appearance, he is memorable because he made life easier for me as an undergrad. Gerry’s classes required students to work on their assignments in the computer lab. If a student did not like working in the lab, he needed the ability to access the Unix system from a remote location. My dad gave me a modem and I tried to configure my desktop to access the school network. I, however, wasn’t as computer savvy then as I am today. I just couldn’t connect to the school network.

After one of his lectures, I informed Gerry of my problem. He offered to take a look at it. I didn’t have a car and he was a bus rider so I had to pick him up from campus on my Honda Elite 80 scooter. When he saw me pull up to the curb, I knew he wasn’t thrilled with the idea of riding shotgun on my scooter. Nevertheless, he hopped on and off we went to my apartment.

While he fixed my remote connection, I cooked hamburgers (Pinoy style home made patties wrapped in mayo, cheese, and pandesal) for my apartment mates. After Jerry finished his task, I offered him a burger and he obliged. I left him in the dining room to enjoy his burger while I tested the remote connection. As onne of my apartment mates walked into the dining area to eat burgers, he saw Gerry eating. My apartment mate proceeded to my room and asked me why I was feeding the homeless guy. When I told my apartment mate that Gerry is my programming class professor, he thought I was pulling his leg. To this day, my old apartment mate reminds me of the time I made him eat burgers with a “bum”.

I am a computer programmer now and I probably would not be one without Gerry’s tutelage.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr.Simon of Letran - Computer teacher. He's very helpful in all our projects and I was given a special pass to use the computer room by myself.

Mr. Bandojo of Letran - Math teacher who knew I hated his subject. He calls me everytime and always twists my ears if I can't answer. He also sends me out of the classroom once or twice a week.

Mrs. Olegario - History teacher who likes me for her daughter. I get assignments ahead, exam papers ahead, I never show up her class and when I do show up, I just sleep in the back coz I'm drunk. I still pass. =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...