9 replies to this topic

#1 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

The Lightworker

• 5,171 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

56567263_10213321822537969_4520592957534

Katie Bouman: The woman behind the first black hole image

But Dr Bouman, now an assistant professor of computing and mathematical sciences at the California Institute of Technology, insisted the team that helped her deserves equal credit.

The effort to capture the image, using telescopes in locations ranging from Antarctica to Chile, involved a team of more than 200 scientists.

"No one of us could've done it alone," she told CNN. "It came together because of lots of different people from many different backgrounds."

What do we know about the black hole?
  • The black hole, which is "unseeable" to the naked eye, measures 40 billion km across, or three million times the size of the Earth
  • It was scanned over a period of 10 days in the Messier 87 galaxy
  • It is "larger than the size of our entire Solar System", Prof Heino Falcke, of Radboud University in the Netherlands, who proposed the experiment, told the BBC
How did her algorithm create the image?

Put simply, Dr Bouman and others developed a series of algorithms that converted telescopic data into the historic photo shared by the world's media.

In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is a process or set of rules used to solve problems. MORE HERE

I was a bit surprised when I first heard this "First Black Hole Photo" news last night. Not because of its 'rarity' in nature but because we were talking about it few hours prior to its release. 

I asked one of my students about this "black hole" stuff being written on a certain page of his Science book (we were discussing about Solar System as part of the lesson). I know it was his handwriting referencing to a trivia topic 'Milky Way Galaxy".

He answered to me, "Oh, it was accidentally written because my pen was not working well, Teacher."

And I was like, "Oh, Ok". 

#2 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

The Lightworker

• 5,171 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

some sort of synchronicity?

Will create a separate topic for this so we won't be a little off.

#3 Beni Rocha

Beni Rocha

Blessed

• (14) Tera Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Will create a separate topic for this so we won't be a little off.

hopefully medyo nalilito ako , sort off

#4 jacuzzi

jacuzzi

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:18 AM

I do not think they uncovered any scientific proof of a black hole. I remember immersing in details of National Geographic articles about NASA space probes sent to explore the surface of distant planets like Jupiter and Saturn. That satellite probe technology is a lot better than what this network of telescopes are.

However, the probes had limitations. Our Earth rotates around an axis and can communicate or focus on the space probe only at certain times of the day. Our planet also revolves around our Sun. This prevents it to focus on the other planets since they too have their orbits.  The article describes the effort to recover and interpret data streams which can have a lot of interpretation. Finally the data is only rendered as a digital stream of an image. This image is then interpreted by artists who manually paint the conclusion based on instructions.

Eventually the article got a lot of reactions. It was made to be responsible and much correction led to several more scenarios. More artist rendition of what could be. The credibility of the program suffered from flaws, which led to hot expert debates. Yet it cannot be denied that there is a breakthrough since these probes are pioneering work and state of the art. Eventually even NASA was under fire and threatened to be dissolved. I remember that NASA was almost shut down by the Obama administration.

As for this black hole picture which is farther than Jupiter and Saturn, the idea that it captured an image is still debatable. Imagine that the Earth, the solar system it belongs to and the galaxy that we are in, are all in constant motion. Just like in photography, movement will cause an image distortion.  Thus this black hole picture may just be an illusion resulting from movement and the limitation of the hardware, which in this case are the telescopes from the participating space observatories. Let us wait for actual space travel before verifying the Truth of our theories imagination.

#5 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

The Lightworker

• 5,171 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

hopefully medyo nalilito ako , sort off

Err san ka nalito?

Sa: 

a) black hole
B) synchronicity
c) separation of church and the state este of another topic
d) the phrase " be a little off"
e) none of the above

#6 Retz

Retz

God of Lust

• (11) Wyld
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Hindi naman actual photographic image but using radio telescope at ginawan ng image. Last 2017 pa daw nakuha yan mga data? 53 million ly away yan so are we seeing the "image" 53m ly in the past?

#7 Beni Rocha

Beni Rocha

Blessed

• (14) Tera Poster
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

Black hole madam

#8 Julianda

Julianda

Omry feek antia

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

I do not think they uncovered any scientific proof of a black hole. I remember immersing in details of National Geographic articles about NASA space probes sent to explore the surface of distant planets like Jupiter and Saturn. That satellite probe technology is a lot better than what this network of telescopes are.

However, the probes had limitations. Our Earth rotates around an axis and can communicate or focus on the space probe only at certain times of the day. Our planet also revolves around our Sun. This prevents it to focus on the other planets since they too have their orbits.  The article describes the effort to recover and interpret data streams which can have a lot of interpretation. Finally the data is only rendered as a digital stream of an image. This image is then interpreted by artists who manually paint the conclusion based on instructions.

Eventually the article got a lot of reactions. It was made to be responsible and much correction led to several more scenarios. More artist rendition of what could be. The credibility of the program suffered from flaws, which led to hot expert debates. Yet it cannot be denied that there is a breakthrough since these probes are pioneering work and state of the art. Eventually even NASA was under fire and threatened to be dissolved. I remember that NASA was almost shut down by the Obama administration.

As for this black hole picture which is farther than Jupiter and Saturn, the idea that it captured an image is still debatable. Imagine that the Earth, the solar system it belongs to and the galaxy that we are in, are all in constant motion. Just like in photography, movement will cause an image distortion.  Thus this black hole picture may just be an illusion resulting from movement and the limitation of the hardware, which in this case are the telescopes from the participating space observatories. Let us wait for actual space travel before verifying the Truth of our theories imagination.

Actually, you do not have to go too far.

The way I understand the article, it is likely an allusion to capturing the image leading to its successful recovery of a PHOTO from the data using the technique called interferometry. 

JOJN4Ok.gif

To put it simply, the article is not about any uncovering of anything but rather a disclosure of creation of first image of black hole. 

#9 jacuzzi

jacuzzi

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

... but rather a disclosure of creation of first image of black hole. 

The original article in Yahoo was moved to entertainment since it was a risk to declare that the image was indeed a black hole.  It could easily be the ghost image of something else that is running opposite from the direction of the galaxy we are part of. In such case, the speed is far greater than what the fastest digital camera sensors can pick up. Cheers!

#10 Julianda

Julianda

Omry feek antia

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

The original article in Yahoo was moved to entertainment since it was a risk to declare that the image was indeed a black hole It could easily be the ghost image of something else that is running opposite from the direction of the galaxy we are part of. In such case, the speed is far greater than what the fastest digital camera sensors can pick up. Cheers!

LOL

Alright.

Well, the proof is  in the pudding. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users