Is Boxing Dying?

johnnydrama

i agree. unless there will be a true successor to what pacquiao has achieved, or more

Brod, pag nawala si pacquiao may mga papalit parin na magagaling na batang boksingero. kaso, di nga lang mga pinoy... except for nonito wala na ako nakikita na kaya sumunod kay pacman na pinoy. sa ibang bansa may mga bata na magagaling at alam ko hindi parin matitibag ng MMA ang boxing kasi mas marami parin boxers kesa MMa fighters kaya mas marami pag pipilian ang fans. Im a big MMA fans pero boxing parin ng haharin at di ito mapapalitan ng MMA for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

No, it's not dying. It could be in better shape, but it's not dying.

I'm a straight up boxing fan. I'm not really interested in other contact sports (I respect them, I'm just not into them).

Yes, the boxing politics and the alphabet belts piss me off. Yes the fact that nobody on the street has a clue about boxing (but they do know about the latest UFC fighters etc) annoys me.

But as long as you have fighters like Erik Morales (and others of course) boxing will be alive and well. It has just seen better days...hope those days come back...

On that last note, I just finished watching Morales v Maidana. If only Erik had both eyes open, he would have taken it....

• 3 weeks later...

Boxing's not dying! It's just that UFC's marketing MMA as it's brand! If people will talk about MMA it's synonymous to UFC. Unlike Boxing people would refer to it's fighter's like Pacman or Mayweather.

And one big note! Eventhough UFC pulls events 2x a month! Boxer's still have bigger paychecks compared to their MMA counterparts! So my answer is a Big "NO" :wacko:

• 8 months later...

Boxing is not dying. Not yet. But boxing has to clean up its act. I believe people will watch a good boxing match if its compelling and competitive and promoted the right way. One way is to market their champions well. I am a boxing fan, and i have never seen Andre Ward fight. I have never seen Lucian Bute fight. I have only seen Sergio Martinez fight maybe once or twice, and he is suppose to be one of the great pound for pound fighters. Why? Aren't they great fighters? Need to see more great fights!

I don't think boxing is dying pero mas OK ako sa MMA because I can access it. I have not seen a boxing match in a long long tiome dahil dito sa UAE, exclusive to pay per view sys. BUt again, this is the way the boxing engine works in terms of revenue. Di tulad ng MMA which has aligned itself to FOX or cable networks. Paychecks are bigger in boxing, only a couple like Brock and Tito Ortiz can lay claim to 6 and rarely 7 digit figures in their fights.

As for practice, mahirap kaya ang practice ng MMA and not so available. Boxing is pretty easy to access, wrestling, muay thai, BJJ, are not, from what I heard, they cost more than boxing. So from my end, boxing will always be there and will always be a base of MMA practitioners.

Maybe MMA is quite more famous now because of better marketing strategies and lesser hidden deals/ agendas than boxing. Even though MMA is "quite" more famous than boxing nowadays especially for the common people (non-fighting just a fan of contact sports) we can't really tell if it is dying. Because any fighting promotion is a business, and being one it has an up and down state. But i think its not in a certain point that we can say its dying. maybe its just on a decline because most of the people (audiences/fans) are fed up of the boxing trade...

Maybe MMA is quite more famous now because of better marketing strategies and lesser hidden deals/ agendas than boxing. Even though MMA is "quite" more famous than boxing nowadays especially for the common people (non-fighting just a fan of contact sports) we can't really tell if it is dying. Because any fighting promotion is a business, and being one it has an up and down state. But i think its not in a certain point that we can say its dying. maybe its just on a decline because most of the people (audiences/fans) are fed up of the boxing trade...

Couldn't agree with you more.

Cut out the boxing politics and let the fighters fight, not blab!

• 1 month later...

boxing is not dying. one problem i see is that there are too many sanctioning bodies which means there are too many title belt holders for a single weight class. a good tournament like the super six won by ward would make boxing more exciting

spot on bro. They should unify all the belts para magkaalamanan. Will make boxing more exciting kht unknown mga boxers. Im sure mdme parn magagaling na boxers na kylangan lang ma maximize potential