Anyone in Ireland? Would like to start being financially independent. Just joined the credit union, as a first step. Would like to know more how to invest here i.e what are the options.

Not from Ireland but from Australia (totally different continent), but on the same Financial Independent journey like you.Here are my tips:

1. Make a budget -i know this sounds boring as hell, but this for me is the best tool of all. Know where your money is going or rather tell your money where it ahould go before you receive your regular income e.g. salary

2. Have an initial emergency fund - because i'm 100% sure one day, life will F*ck you up with all sort of bullshit (car breakdown, sickness, etc.). $500 or better $1,000 should cover you.

3. Pay your credit card balance off

4. Save 50% of your take home pay - if you do this your a badass on the freeway to Financial Independence in no time

5. Invest that 50% savings either in index funds or real estate. I personally invest 100% in Vanguard ETFs

6. Try to increase your savings rate higher year by year by creatively decreasing expenses and increasing income. Be creative.

7. Using the trinity studies 4% rule, if your total investment is 25 times your yearly expenses, then you my friend is considered FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT

• Like (+1) 2

Not from Ireland but from Australia (totally different continent), but on the same Financial Independent journey like you.Here are my tips:

1. Make a budget -i know this sounds boring as hell, but this for me is the best tool of all. Know where your money is going or rather tell your money where it ahould go before you receive your regular income e.g. salary

2. Have an initial emergency fund - because i'm 100% sure one day, life will F*ck you up with all sort of bullshit (car breakdown, sickness, etc.). $500 or better $1,000 should cover you.

3. Pay your credit card balance off

4. Save 50% of your take home pay - if you do this your a badass on the freeway to Financial Independence in no time

5. Invest that 50% savings either in index funds or real estate. I personally invest 100% in Vanguard ETFs

6. Try to increase your savings rate higher year by year by creatively decreasing expenses and increasing income. Be creative.

7. Using the trinity studies 4% rule, if your total investment is 25 times your yearly expenses, then you my friend is considered FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT

Thank you so much for the tips.

Insurance is an expense just like food, utilities, rent etc. VUL is an expensive way to invest. Its a lot cheaper to buy term (expense) and invest the rest in mutual fund or ETF. You'll never go wrong. VUL is widely marketed kasi 45% of your paid premium is paid sa ahente na nag benta syo. So its good for the insurance agent and bad for the consumer ksi napamahal ka. Unless mahal mo ang ahente mo kesa sa bulsa mo

I agree and I’m an insurance agent, rather ‘financial advisor’. Not exactly close to the financial advising services I was exposed to when I was in Australia. Also, there are better structures available for estate planning in the PH - insurance only addresses the immediate financial need and not the possible conflicts therein (e.g Ilusorio family).

Good evening, I hope it's ok to post it here since financial related. I'm planning on buying a condo unit. Any tips? Thanks

Before we can give you tips, first we need to know more about you and this condo. Things like:

1. What's the condo unit for (a place for you to live or as a rental income generating asset)?

2. Is it brand new, off the plan condo or is it old unit (how old)?

3. Where is it located e.g Makati, Ortigas, Laguna, Bulacan, Davao?

4. Have your sorted financing yet? How much down and whats the mortgage interest rate?

5. How much is the condo? Have you done the math on total cost of owning this condo? CAN YOU AFFORD IT?

I got dozens more questions, but at the top of my head, these needs some answers first before we can answer you in a manner that makes sense. Without these info, we can't add that much of a value.

Good evening, I hope it's ok to post it here since financial related. I'm planning on buying a condo unit. Any tips? Thanks

it's always good to buy a condo when it is still in a pre-selling period. just pay for the reservation and initial DP of maybe 5% or 10% in 2 to 4 years time. After that before you start the remaining balance, the value of your condo is already appreciated.

just make sure that location is very important when looking for a condo (ex: located in prime location, flood free, nearby commercial establishments, hospitals, grocery, schools, church, and accessible thru public transportation such as jeepney, MRT, LRT), this is to ensure the value will appreciate by 15% to 20% yearly, and your ROI will be 5 to 7 years.

just my two cents.

Before we can give you tips, first we need to know more about you and this condo. Things like:

1. What's the condo unit for (a place for you to live or as a rental income generating asset)?

2. Is it brand new, off the plan condo or is it old unit (how old)?

3. Where is it located e.g Makati, Ortigas, Laguna, Bulacan, Davao?

4. Have your sorted financing yet? How much down and whats the mortgage interest rate?

5. How much is the condo? Have you done the math on total cost of owning this condo? CAN YOU AFFORD IT?

I got dozens more questions, but at the top of my head, these needs some answers first before we can answer you in a manner that makes sense. Without these info, we can't add that much of a value.

Good evening sir Johann,

1. Yes, planning on living once it's finished.

2. Brand new, pre selling.

3. At Mandaluyong, pioneer st.

4. Financing im going to talk with the agent if there's bank financing. Their longest is 10 year plan term.

5. Price is almost 2Mphp. The computation given to me for the 10yr term costs around 24k per month. In my current salary it goes within my budget.

it's always good to buy a condo when it is still in a pre-selling period. just pay for the reservation and initial DP of maybe 5% or 10% in 2 to 4 years time. After that before you start the remaining balance, the value of your condo is already appreciated.

just make sure that location is very important when looking for a condo (ex: located in prime location, flood free, nearby commercial establishments, hospitals, grocery, schools, church, and accessible thru public transportation such as jeepney, MRT, LRT), this is to ensure the value will appreciate by 15% to 20% yearly, and your ROI will be 5 to 7 years.

just my two cents.

Yes sir Hari ng Spakol, pre selling with 3% downpayment

• Like (+1) 1

Good evening sir Johann,

4. Financing im going to talk with the agent if there's bank financing. Their longest is 10 year plan term.

5. Price is almost 2Mphp. The computation given to me for the 10yr term costs around 24k per month. In my current salary it goes within my budget.

Sounds like a great deal.

Good evening sir Johann,

1. Since the purpose of the property is for a roof over your head rather than investment, then your making a lifestyle choice. My only tip for that is just to enjoy your chosen lifestyle :).

2. Read all the fine prints of the deal make sure that you can commit to all of it

3. I was born and raise in Mandaluyong. Good choice. May I know which apartment is this? I might buy myself.

4. Shop around! Don't just talk to your agent. Your agent might be looking after his own self interest and might put you in a mortgage where he/she will get the biggest commission which the bank will charge you for it. Shop around! Maybe go straight to banks or maybe this community would give you some tips. But I suggest you SHOP AROUND for the best (and hopefully cheapest) MORTGAGE RATE around.

5. The rule of thumb I use your housing cost should be 25% or less of your take home pay. So if your paying 24k for your housing cost, your take home pay should be atleast Php 96k (Php 130k before take). I just don't want you to be house poor man and not be slave of the bank's mortgage.

Again, I'm intetested to know which apartment is this

On the Personal Finance front, what’s the last purchase you did that somehow you wish you didn’t make? Mine is that I bought two Sony WH-1000XM3, for me and my wife. I wish I didn’t do it because of the cost, but at the same time im glad i did for i love thr noise cancelling functionality of it and YOLO right? For sure im not the only one who conflicted like these (Meaning sprinting towards financial independence at the same time would love to make pit stop and smell the roses from time to time). The last time i did this pit stop is when i bought a $2k++ espresso machine. Its a stupid mistake but man, i love it

Do you guys monitor the income from your dividends? I started investing in shares dito sa Australia in late 2014 and I saw how it grows through the year, from meager $426.44 in 2015 to $7,919.52 last year 2018.

I guess lahat nmn nagsisimula sa maliit. Here's the actual income I get starting 2015 until first quarter of 2019 on a quarterly basis.

post-116397-0-54039700-1549030370_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohannBeckham
  • Like (+1) 1

20190201 Updates:

* Reduce total debt to $58K by year end (currently at $72.1K)

* Grow retirement savings to $170K by year end (currently at $153K)

* Anticipate house value to appreciate to $280K by year end (currently at $266.2K)

* Increase college savings of children to $20K by year end (currently at $12.6K)

* Buttress business fund to $65K by year end (currently at $55.2K)

* Expect condo value to appreciate to $50K by year end (currently at $48.1K)

Edited by MRROUGHSEX

And because I am raring to live a more normal life in total solitude (freelancing at home sans a real set schedule), I am willing to realign my expenses in exchange for my health and sanity.

Thank goodness my other boss is willing to accommodate this insane episode.

Crossing my fingers for this year.

I don't want to wake up one day thinking, "What the heck had I just done?"

• Like (+1) 1

On the Personal Finance front, whats the last purchase you did that somehow you wish you didnt make? Mine is that I bought two Sony WH-1000XM3, for me and my wife. I wish I didnt do it because of the cost, but at the same time im glad i did for i love thr noise cancelling functionality of it and YOLO right? For sure im not the only one who conflicted like these (Meaning sprinting towards financial independence at the same time would love to make pit stop and smell the roses from time to time). The last time i did this pit stop is when i bought a $2k++ espresso machine. Its a stupid mistake but man, i love it

A portable DVD player, a kitchen mixer set, and food steamer.

I have barely used them since the day they were purchased. Too lazy to remove and put them back in their boxes.

• Like (+1) 1

And because I am raring to live a more normal life in total solitude (freelancing at home sans a real set schedule), I am willing to realign my expenses in exchange for my health and sanity.

Thank goodness my other boss is willing to accommodate this insane episode.

Crossing my fingers for this year.

I don't want to wake up one day thinking, "What the heck had I just done?"

So you are working at home like me?

Fantastic!

I will be looking for a second job also but maybe next year the earliest. I had just my home office set up last week.

The thought of multiplying my take home x 2 from a second job is thrilling. i have always envied nurses and doctors who earn as much as they could in a day just because they can. For my profession, working at home and being my own Boss is the solution.

So you are working at home like me?

Fantastic!

I will be looking for a second job also but maybe next year the earliest. I had just my home office set up last week.

The thought of multiplying my take home x 2 from a second job is thrilling. i have always envied nurses and doctors who earn as much as they could in a day just because they can. For my profession, working at home and being my own Boss is the solution.

I...

1. Work in a call center on weekday nights

2. Work at home for another organization as a contractor

3. Pursue a Master's degree at a university somewhere in Quezon City.

I'm going to talk with my freelance boss so I can still earn what I am earning from both jobs even if I resign from my call center job.

Working the graveyard shift for almost 8 years straight is taking its toll. I crave the normal sleep pattern.

And I can't start my other plan if I still work in an office like any regular Juan. 😁😁

• Like (+1) 1

I...

1. Work in a call center on weekday nights

2. Work at home for another organization as a contractor

3. Pursue a Master's degree at a university somewhere in Quezon City.

I'm going to talk with my freelance boss so I can still earn what I am earning from both jobs even if I resign from my call center job.

Working the graveyard shift for almost 8 years straight is taking its toll. I crave the normal sleep pattern.

And I can't start my other plan if I still work in an office like any regular Juan.

Its always good to have mutipl3 source of income. Ako sa nga sa dividends lng at sa salary nari received ko bwan bwan.

May mga nag aalok sakin na Aussie local to open a specialty coffee sa Makati kaso prang sakit lng sa ulo

Its always good to have mutipl3 source of income. Ako sa nga sa dividends lng at sa salary nari received ko bwan bwan.

May mga nag aalok sakin na Aussie local to open a specialty coffee sa Makati kaso prang sakit lng sa ulo

Minsan stressful magmanage NG oras kapag lagari trabaho. Pero kapag lumitaw ang tseke, napapangiti ka na Lang. May sense of fulfillment siya. Sulit ang pagod.

Negosyo? Turo NG mga Tsinoy, bantayan mo yan, tumao ka sa puwesto Kung gusto mong lumago iyan.

😁

Guys i would like you to answer this question:

1. How much is enough? By that i mean how much money do you want to have before you can declare yourself Financially Independent?

2. How close are you in reaching the "enough" stage?

Interesting questions JB!

1) In US for the next 15 years, I would say $600K non-property and $400K property for a net worth of a cool million bucks. Conversion ko sa Pinas is divide by 4. That means, $150K or PHp7.5M non-property and $100K or Phph5M property, for a net worth of PHp12.5M.

Enough na yan. HIndi marangya, hindi rin hikahos. Middle class lifestyle.

2) I may be out 11 years from reaching the cool million here. Here's to 2028 for me LOL! I'll be 56 by that time.