Compound Vs Isolation

hey there

i concur. i think compound exercises will be more effective in the long run but isolations add more flavor to the exercise. compound exercise save time. imagine doing 5X5 with bicep curls, triceps, shrugs, etc etc etc.. imagine how much time it would burn to do all those isolation exercise.

For everyone who has been asking for this, we have the ability to film it and put it on the Eclipse website...but just keep reminding me...or tell Olympus to kick me in the butt next time he sees me so I won't forget :D

Have you gotten your butt kinked already? :D I really need to know how to do this one sir.

another thing, is the bent over barbell rows the same as your dynamic rows? coz i really dont know how to do the dynamic row exercise, what i did is the bent over barbell row yesterday.

They are similar but different. I posted the description of the dynamic row in another thread here

nice vid, im really impressed!!! :thumbsupsmiley: was that EG doing the demos?

on the DRows, do i have to be concious in sticking my head up in front at the top of the pull? and for the power snatch do i also have to do the jumping motion?

That was one of our assistant coaches. You have to look in front or look up as looking down may cause your back to arch in the dynamic row

For the power snatch, the jumping motion becomes secondary after a time. At first you practice tip toeing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

one thing i've noticed with the compound exercises, ang pinapatunguhan ng korte na katawan ko ay yung katulad sa mga athletes, like dwayne wade. nung isolation exercises ang ginagawa ko, ang laki ng triceps ko at lag ang delts ko... typical sa mga nagbubuhat sa gym. yoko nung ganoong katawan. pero malayo pa katawan ko kay dwayne wade ha? :D

well kasi talaga naman mas better ang compound sa isolation. hehe. health, fat burning, muscle building benefits.. compound workouts are better.

I agree. Better in a sense that you build muscle more efficiently to a point that you encourage proportion strength and muscle development. They key word is better. Doesn't mean I totally forego "isolations."

just a thought on this argument. i've been doing tricep ext. since i went back to the gym last year occasionally doing unilateral tricep ext. about a month ago i changed my routine and started doing dips(bodyweight). last wed. i tried doing the tricep ext. again and found that my strenght has roughly doubled. compound exercises is the way to go!

just a thought on this argument. i've been doing tricep ext. since i went back to the gym last year occasionally doing unilateral tricep ext. about a month ago i changed my routine and started doing dips(bodyweight). last wed. i tried doing the tricep ext. again and found that my strenght has roughly doubled. compound exercises is the way to go!

I'm glad that you were able to figure that out man. For me, you can never really rely on "isolations" to build strength. For the basic reason that less muscles become involved during the execution.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Personally, I do not do/prioritize any direct ab work except when I feel "extra-energetic" on a given day. Whenever I do deadlifts and squats, I feel my abs getting worked by stabilizing the body. The only time I really train abs directly and regularly is whenever I would enter a bodybuilding show, not expecting to "etch" deeper cuts but more on practicing to hold the ab poses.

Lastly, I never would train forearms directly. I find doing wrist curls boring and insignificant since your forearms are physically demanded everytime you do pulling excercises.

For people who do MMA,Boxing or other combative sports (or other sports in general) compound excercises in my opinion are the way to go. Not only does it build the neccessary strength for these kinds of activities but they help the body's muscle memory form a "firing sequence" of sorts so that when a given movement is executed the body muscles help each other out and produce a more desirable result. e.g. if you're shooting for a takedown or trying to control someone in the guard.