Lasik Surgery

brentley

The goal of the surgery is to give patient 20/20 best corrected vision. With 20/20, then it is possible to see those small characters. You just have to squint or to move closer.

Overcorrection of the myopia will just cause the opposite problem in the patient.

I agree that 30k is very cheap. While its possible that that price is already all-inclusive, I believe the average going rate is around 55-70k and upwards.

Personally, I believe that LASIK, done properly, is quite safe. It's true that since its a relatively new procedure, there are very few long term studies that can show its long term effects, but so far, its all been quite positive.

Do you think lasik is advisable for me with these measurements:

Sph: -1.25/R -1.25/L

Cyl: -1/R -1/L

Axis: 180/R 180/L

Add: 2.25/R 2.25/L

MPD: 0/R 0/L

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think lasik is advisable for me with these measurements:

Sph: -1.25/R -1.25/L

Cyl: -1/R -1/L

Axis: 180/R 180/L

Add: 2.25/R 2.25/L

MPD: 0/R 0/L

LASIK can easily remove your nearsightedness, provided you pass the initial screening. But the need for reading glasses remains unless you opt for and can tolerate "monovision" (one eye sees clearly for far, the other eye for near).

LASIK can easily remove your nearsightedness, provided you pass the initial screening. But the need for reading glasses remains unless you opt for and can tolerate "monovision" (one eye sees clearly for far, the other eye for near).

This sounds like a good idea. I have tried monovision with contact lenses and it worked for me but I could not tolerate contacts for too long. I will also need a consult in conjuction with some planned corrective surgery on my eyelids. I have noticed that my vision improves if I pull them up somewhat and make them less 'droopy'.

Please PM me your clinic address, phone number, and clinic hours. I am in Quezon City and would appreciate someplace near but I really don't mind going anywhere to consult an eye doctor who knows and understands what kind of eye candy I like best.

• 1 month later...
This sounds like a good idea. I have tried monovision with contact lenses and it worked for me but I could not tolerate contacts for too long. I will also need a consult in conjuction with some planned corrective surgery on my eyelids. I have noticed that my vision improves if I pull them up somewhat and make them less 'droopy'.

Please PM me your clinic address, phone number, and clinic hours. I am in Quezon City and would appreciate someplace near but I really don't mind going anywhere to consult an eye doctor who knows and understands what kind of eye candy I like best.

Try QC Eye Center just beside Mahalikaya Health complex

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, boomouse. Sorry for the overly late reply re your LASIK inquiry. I've been away from MTC for ages! I tried to PM you, but got an error message.

If you're still interested in an eye consultation, I just added St. Luke's QC to my clinic schedule. I'm there Fridays 9-12 by appointment. Otherwise, I have clinics in Manila (in front of PGH) and Alabang (Asian Hospital). Send me a PM with your number or email and I'll send you my clinic info.

Again my apologies.

PS saw you're a mac guy. Am getting a macbook for myself (switching from PC) next week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had PRK done instead of LASIK. If you are an active person, into sports and all that, I suggest you do PRK. The corneal flap could possibly move, even after healing, on eyes done with LASIK. Also make sure to look for a surgeon that uses the newest laser, I think it's called wavefront laser. They use it on both PRK and LASIK. I had it done about 3 months ago. The first month sucked, I could see halo on lights at night. After a while it gradually went away. Right now my vision is 20/15 on my left eye and 20/20 on the other. I think it was just my eyes.

The whole PRK process took about 15 mins for both eyes, They will tell you to keep taking vitamin C up to 3 months to help the healing process. The healing process was not too bad. It didn't really hurt, it was more like annoying. They will give you medication that will put you out, haha.

I got my eyes done through my employer, so I can't really help you out with the price. All in all, it is well worth it. It's awesome not having to wear glasses or contacs. No more buying contact lens solutions. No more cleaning contac lenses. It's great.

If I were you, I would get it done as soon as possible but make sure to do your homework first, check on you doctors. Those eyes are yours, so if they fuucked it up, you will be sh!t out of luck. Pick carefully. Goodluck!

http://www.allaboutvision.com/ <----- check this site out. It will give you some idea on what to expect, also, check out youtube.com for eyesurgeries, it will show you how it's done

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking of having this procedure too, for a year now. I've been wearing glasses for over two years and I don't like it. I do a lot of reading. And my eyes get itchy a lot. And I'm always in front of a computer.

My question is, if ever I do get better vision after this procedure, what will happen when I get old? I mean, will my eyes stay 20/20 all my life after this operation? Thanks!

^lasik is subject to the usual effects of aging. by around 40's you'll probably need reading glasses despite an earlier lasik procedure.

Gusto ko rin ito, i've been wanting to do this for the last 3 years, but i am afraid of the risks...

Edited by nightingale
I've been thinking of having this procedure too, for a year now. I've been wearing glasses for over two years and I don't like it. I do a lot of reading. And my eyes get itchy a lot. And I'm always in front of a computer.

My question is, if ever I do get better vision after this procedure, what will happen when I get old? I mean, will my eyes stay 20/20 all my life after this operation? Thanks!

what are your circumstances? how old are you? are you a myope? hyperope? have you noticed change in your vision over the past 6 mos? past year?

from what you have stated, my guess is you are just suffering from presbyopia- you necessitated reading glasses once you've reached your late 30s or early 40s. is this the case?

• 5 months later...

FDA to study negative effects of Lasik eye surgery

By MATTHEW PERRONE, AP Business Writer Matthew Perrone, Ap Business Writer – Thu Oct 15, 6:33 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The Food and Drug Administration announced plans Thursday to study the scope of problems connected with laser eye-correcting surgery, which include blurred vision and dry eyes.

The FDA says it will work with the National Eye Institute and the Department of Defense to determine the percentage of patients who experience negative side effects following surgery.

The first phase of the project is already under way, with plans for an online questionnaire to help patients gauge their quality of life following surgery, according to an FDA statement.

The project will also include a clinical trial tracking patients who undergo the procedure, which is expected to conclude by 2012.

"This study will enhance our understanding of the risks of Lasik and could lead to a reduction in patients who experience adverse effects," said Dr. Jeffrey Shuren, the acting head of FDA's medical device division.

An estimated 6 million Americans have undergone Lasik surgery, which permanently reshapes the cornea, a clear layer covering the eye. There are no guarantees of 20/20 vision and the long-term safety of the procedure is still unknown.

Ophthalmology societies report that about 95 percent of patients are satisfied with their new vision.

But a small number of patients have reported permanent damage to their eyes following the surgery, including double vision, dry eye and halos around objects at night.

The FDA agreed to look into the problems in 2008 after years of complaints. The agency said last summer it received 140 reports of Lasik-related problems between 1998 and 2006.

Lasik procedures have fallen off in the past year as consumers cut back on the pricey surgeries, which can cost between $1,500 and $5,000

Makers of Lasik lasers include Advanced Medical Optics Inc., Alcon Inc., and Bausch and Lomb.

Also on Thursday, the FDA announced warning letters sent to 17 Lasik surgery centers for inadequate adverse event reporting procedures. Regulators periodically send letters to facilities that don't follow federal guidelines for reporting patient complaints.

"The inspections did not identify problems with the use of the Lasik devices at these facilities," the FDA stated.

More inspections of Lasik centers are planned in coming months, according to the FDA release.

:mtc:

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If you're younger than 40 years of age....ok ang lasik....bago na mga machine....pero dapat may screening ka muna...vision screening test ranges from 2k and above....

After that kung ok na....we do the procedures....prices here ranges from 50k both eyes to as much as 80k per eye....depends yan sa ophthalmologist mo kung magkano PF nya...

Pero kung malapit ka na mag 40....or advise ko sa mga mid 30s na....wag na mag pa lasik masasayang lang...there are better alternatives for mga patients 40 and above....

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...