Best Japanese Noodles in Metro Manila

Just to kick off the thread. Ukokkei Ramen in Makati is well known for its great Ramen particularly the limited number of bowls served per day tantanmen. It's also very well known for its Ramen Nazi chef with his strict rules and to say the least "unfriendly manners".

Edited by iggy112

Just to kick off the thread. Ukokkei Ramen in Makati is well known for its great Ramen particularly the limited number of bowls served per day tantanmen. It's also very well known for its Ramen Nazi chef with his strict rules and to say the least "unfriendly manners".

I tried their malate branch ....... atmosphere is definitly much much friendlier and they didn't mind that I was taking pictures of their food. (well at least the ones we ordered)

Tried the Watami Ramen of Watami. It's good! The noodles had a nice texture, the pork broth was served piping hot and had layers of flavor. It had egg, pork and bamboo shoots as toppings. The egg was braised in some sauce which I cant place, giving it extra flavor. The broth was heavy, comparable to tantanmen (at least the one I got to try in Shinjuku).

Haven't tried Ukkokei, so I cant compare.

My go to ramen dish is Hiyashi Ramen - cold ramen in a light broth topped with julienned cucumbers, pork, sprouts & pickled ginger. Perfect for hot days. So far, the only one I go back to is Shinjuku. The Hiyashi ramen in Ryuma (Paseo de Sta Rosa, Laguna) is not as delicious. Don't know if there are other restaurants that serve this. If this isn't available, the next one is Zaru Soba- cold soba dipped in a shoyu/mirin sauce with wasabi. Commonly served with tempura in most Japanese restaurants. It's actually easy to make at home- just buy the sauce and soba set at the grocery then boil the noodles in plain water for 5 minutes, drain and wash in cold water. Dilute the concentrated sauce to your liking, then serve together with wasabi.

1. ukokei pasay road or mabini - tantanmien

2. santouka g4 - shio+miso combo tonkotsu

3. kitchitora megamall - shio chicken or ma you noodle

4. shinjuku pasong tamo - chasiu ramen

5. kokoro roxas blvd - tonkotsu

6. mitsuyado jupiter - chasiu ramen

My go to ramen dish is Hiyashi Ramen - cold ramen in a light broth topped with julienned cucumbers, pork, sprouts & pickled ginger. Perfect for hot days. So far, the only one I go back to is Shinjuku. The Hiyashi ramen in Ryuma (Paseo de Sta Rosa, Laguna) is not as delicious. know if there Don't are other restaurants that serve this. If this isn't available, the next one is Zaru Soba- cold soba dipped in a shoyu/mirin sauce with wasabi. Commonly served with tempura in most Japanese restaurants. It's actually easy to make at home- just buy the sauce and soba set at the grocery then boil the noodles in plain water for 5 minutes, drain and wash in cold water. Dilute the concentrated sauce to your liking, then serve together with wasabi.

aside from Shinjuku ........ I know Ukkokei has their version of the Hiyashi Ramen and so does Rai Rai Ken.

Yutaka Izakaya serves Hiyashi Udon

• 3 months later...

Just recently tried Hokkaido Ramen Santouka at Glorietta 4.

Entrance is outside, across SM Makati.

I tried the Kara-miso specialty ramen with the pork cheeks.

The broth is good, the noodles were thick and seemed a little too ordinary(?)

The pork cheeks was excellent!

I'm starting to really like ajitse tamago (marinated/seasoned eggs).

Saw a recipe from the internet that seemed simple enough. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen in SM Aura. Near authentic daw sabi nung half japanese na kasama ko noon.

I tried Ikkoryu a couple of times already. It's great, but I don't think it is as authentic as can be. It's not as fatty as I'd want my ramen to be. Still, they have some great stuff on their menu.

Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen in SM Aura. Near authentic daw sabi nung half japanese na kasama ko noon.

I tried Ikkoryu a couple of times already. It's great, but I don't think it is as authentic as can be. It's not as fatty as I'd want my ramen to be. Still, they have some great stuff on their menu.

I tried this place recently - not bad.

I just can't stand the ambiance - its too noisy. I found the frequent spontaneous shouting of "irrashaimase" and "arigato gozaimasu" quite unnerving.

Those of you who get easily startled due to spontaneous shouting should stay away from this place.

Edited by muttley

I'm just not a fan of their very thin noodles ..... but love their Ajitame eggs.

I tried this place recently - not bad.

I just can't stand the ambiance - its too noisy. I found the frequent spontaneous shouting of "irrashaimase" and "arigato gozaimasu" quite unnerving.

Those of you who get easily startled due to spontaneous shouting should stay away from this place.

I'm always tempted to bring along friends who are very fluent in nihonggo and then they would order in the japanese dialect. (just to see what will be the reaction of the waitstaff) :lol: