Philippine/filipino References In A Foreign Movie

i bought a vcd entitled "aswang" though it's an american film.i got curious so i bought it.i think some of the brains behind the making of this movie are filipinos.from screenwriter to editor but the producer and director both are american. the movie is about obviously aswang there is a rich mom living in the country US who is visited by her son and daughter in law newly wed.there is a governess w/c is a filipino.she always speaks tagalog.and the aswang is the mom.the daughter in law is pregnant.the mom went up the roof ( the roof is not pawid) so the long tongue travels to the windows to the bedroom to the bed....and so on.i didn't finished the movie because it's so boooring!!!!!!

Guest Leviticus
Has anyone watched Constantine? the one with keanu Reeves? Nung may devil possession na ngyari sa bata sabi nung devil kay keanu "papatayin natin sila" tapos nung narebuked na yung devil sabi nung mommy nung bata "anak, anu ngyari sayo?"

already covered :cool:

There was this old TV series from the 80's Indiana Jones wannabe' kind of genre. The setting was usually in some jungle with native tribes sort of characters portraying the bad guys....they spoke Tagalog to make it sound exotic, but they altered the accent a bit ... it may have worked with Western audiences but was hilarious to us locals. 'Na-keeta ko seeee-ya! Na-keeta ko seee-ya!"

For The Sopranos fans, there was this tough filipina married to a junkie running a sleazy massage parlor (sheesh) and they were lagging behind their payments to the mob, and this pinay was one tough cookie, in her first scene she stood up to Christopher Montesanti (tama ba spelling?)...but Tony sent a tougher henchman (that italian guy I forgot his name) who beat the crap out of her.

Oh well. Thank God for the Great Raid. Redeeming roles for a change.

...IN THE AWARD WINNING MOVIE OF DENZEL WASHINGTON AND ETHAN HAWKE "TRAINING DAY",

DENZEL'S CHARACTER WAS TALKING TO SCOTT GLENN'S CHARACTER, A SHADY CHARACTER WHO

HAD TONS OF MONEY BENNETH HIS KITCHEN FLOOR, WHEN DENZEL ASKED WHAT HE WAS GOING TO

DO WITH THE MONEY, GLENN RESPONDED THAT HE WOULD TAKE THE MONEY AND BUY AN ISLAND IN

THE PHILS.

• 2 weeks later...
sa movie na "An Officer and a Gentleman" nung pumasok sa military si Richard Gere, tinanong siya ng trainer nila kung saan niya nakuha yung tattoo niya sa kanang braso.  Sabi niya "I got it from Subic Bay, Philippines, sir!"

first part of that movie was shot in olongapo, richard gere's dad robert loggia was supposed to be a service man assigned to subic & there was a scene there where a kid playing gere as a boy & loggia were riding in a jeepney & anothere scene where loggia was drinking SMB...

there was this space film (either Sphere or solaris), one of the signs showed the word "basura".

another example was not in a movie but in the book Hannibal. Lecter was trying to console or taunt Graham about his guilt for previously killing a serial killer. Lecter said he shouldnt be guilty because God Himself wasnt merciful. as an example he cited an incident wherein 60+ Filipinos died in an airplane crash

there was this space film (either Sphere or solaris), one of the signs showed the word "basura". 

another example was not in a movie but in the book Hannibal.  Lecter was trying to console or taunt Graham about his guilt for previously killing a serial killer.  Lecter said he shouldnt be guilty because God Himself wasnt merciful.  as an example he cited an incident wherein 60+ Filipinos died in an airplane crash

I think basura is the same word for trash in Spanish..? Not sure.

in mr. & mrs. smith, i wasnt paying attention during this one part (eating popcorn po!) and i just hear "filipino" lol. i don't know exactly what they said tho... when i get the dvd, i'll pay more attention :D

and if u've seen "malibu's most wanted" when they show the credits at the end of the movie, the song goes "look at that filipino girl right there. she's got it going. front, back, side to side" something like that... :thumbsupsmiley:

and oh, in "men of honor" Robert De Niro's character (chief leslie "billy" sunday) mentioned the leyte gulf and how he fought there

and in one tree hill, when chad michael murray's tattoo was bleeding, the guy goes "where'd u get that from? an alley in manila?" (i dont remember now if he said manila or philippines -- its one of those though)

in the movie BIG FISH ung kay ewan mcgregor.

ung scene na napatawag sya sa ARMY sa vietnam.

Nung nagparachute na sya pababa nakita nya na parang

may performance night sa enemy camp.

ung nagpe-peform, saktong nagpan ung camera sa ventriloquist na

pilipino ung sinsabi, hindi mo masyadong maiintindihan pero i think

i heard bwisit, kasi parang ang skit nila, nag-aaway ung

puppet at ung ventriloquist.

for those who watched the movie, this is before he met the twin

performers.

In the TV Series West Wing, the were several episodes where Martin Sheen (who plays the President of the United States) and John Spencer (who plays the White House Chief-of-Staff) discuss the option of sending troops to the Philippines. Also I remember one scene where one of the characters, during an emergency stiuation, mentions that a certain military general was flying back from Manila.

Sometime in the 90's, there was a sitcom called Union Square. That was the name of the diner where the where the characters of this comedy show would hang out. In the diner, one of those who worked there was a Filipino waiter, who spoke tagalog and never spoke a word of English. In fact, everytime he would speak, there were subtitles to translate his pretty witty remarks against some of the other characters. He would often utter one liners such as "gago" or "tanga". In one episode, nag-mura sya. Subtitles simply read "*!@#&$#". Funny show. Too bad, it was never previewed here. The good thing about this show is that the pinoy, while portrayed simply as a waiter, turned out to be a pretty cool character. Often times, his filipino lines came as witty responses to some smart alecky remarks made by the other American actors. :cool:

The next movie/tv show, I'm not quite sure. Return of the Jedi (Star Wars Episode VI) featured little characters called Ewoks. They spoke in some incomprehensible language that was charactereistic of many of the aliens in the series. During one scene with two Ewoks speaking to each other, that scene where they first saw C3PO (who they thought was a God), I thought I heard one say to the other "Ito, puno yan."

The upcoming movie "The Great Raid" is about events which happened here in the Phils. during the 2nd world war.

The movie, which recounted the true story of how American soldiers rescued POWs held in a concentration camp in Cabanatuan, featured Cesar Montano as a guerrilla who helped the Yanks in their mission, and other local stars like Rez Cortez, Bembol Roco, Ryan Eigenmann and Rommel Montano.

Ironically, instead of filming in the actual location, the producers opted to film the Philippine sequences in Shanghai.

in the movie "Training Day", Roger (played by Scott Glenn), the retired partner of Detective Boyd (played by Denzel Washington) mentioned that he is gonna retire in the Philippine Islands....made me proud hearing it. Crooked LAPD cops hope to find solace in the Philippines maybe with our cheap beer and women.