Open Source Software

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Leviticus
guys ano po magandang sites to learn about Open source technologies?

what? super broad ng question mo. please specify what you want to learn about opensource? Do you need the GNU license agreement? Do you need a list of opensource software? a definition of opensource? history?

super broad ka magtanong. what sites do you want? there is always google.com you know.. and wikipedia.com. kung kulang pa meron din ang dictionary.com or m-w.com para sa definition of terms mo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys,

Magkano UBUNTU or KUBUNTU na DVD?

at saan makakabili?

$10.00 lang sa Amazon.com eh

pare sa website ng ubuntu, pwede ka mag-request ng multiple copies ng cd's, i'm just not sure kung may dvd. mga 6 weeks nga lang ang delivery, pero wala kang babayaran, sagot nila pati shipping, just to promote open source...

there's also a way to enjoy open source software even if you're tied up to your windows machines in the office or have to use windows at home out of consideration for the other users... check out portableapps.com for a complete suite of open source apps you can put in your flash drive, customizable so you can just put the ones you use. that way too, you can take your e-mail anywhere with you as well as the bookmarks and add-ons on your firefox browser

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been using Ubuntu for the last few months now-- got it when the Edgy Eft was released. Ganda! It's actually my first exposure to Linux and it's made things easy for me.

By the way, I'm also using Gnome and Beryl. Ganda, ganda! :D

Edited by Samhain13
Im the IT guy here at the office. I always push for opensource software as much as possible for its stability and for economic reasons (heck.. its free!).

the main problem is with the users themselves. ang titigas ng ulo when it comes to conversion to linux software. yes, as much as possible I don't install windows here at the office; hihingi pa ako ng reason/justification why I will install windows xp and/or ms office and it must be a VERY GOOD REASON/JUSTIFICATION. nasa isip kasi ng mga officemates/users that pirated ang gamit ko and that I can just install and install as much as I can but they don't realize that the cost for formatting an XP computer is sooo high. Grabe nga eh.. masmahal pa ang software (Windows XP and MS Office = around Php22,000.00) kaysa sa hardware mismo. They keep on insisting on windows! :angry:

nakakafrustrate makipagrason sa kanila; kesyo familiar na raw sila sa windows and ms office, kesyo matagal magaral, kesyo hindi raw nila alam, kesyo ang pangit, kesyo hindi compatible ang program, kesyo ang windows network hindi napapasok ng linux, etc.. hay. I believe lahat na ng rason narinig ko as an excuse not to migrate to linux or openoffice; but I can always dispute their claims that linux will not work.

The truth is, they cannot find a workaround when it comes to linux: too restricted raw (because tinangal ko ang mga music players, video players, java apps, applets), hindi sila makainstall ng chikka/skype/yahoo messenger/msn messenger, hindi mainstall ang mga iTunes and other mobile phone apps kaya angal sila. Hello?!? the computers at the office are for work and not for your personal enjoyment!

kung tutuusin nga openoffice lang okay na when it comes to office applications. may firefox naman for browsing (more secure than explorer; full of bugs talaga ang explorer)

here is a comparative list of programs

Winxp/ Linux/opensource

MS Word/ Openoffice writer

MS Excel/ Openoffice calc

MS Powerpoint/ Openoffice impress

Dreamweaver Frontpage express/ NuVu html/php editor

Winamp/ Banshee/Amrok

Acrobat reader/ Acrobat reader/Evince/Xpdf

Media Player/ VideoLan player

for your opensource needs visit www.sourceforge.org

i'm working in one of the respectable bank here in the phils.. and we're using open office as substitute to lotus and for upgrade until we dropped lotus office completely... we've been using it for quite sometime now,(making documents, reports, memos, emails etc..) and nobody complain.. di naman mahirap gamitin open office :D .. the important thing is, the company saves a lot of money.. microsoft office is very expensive.. just imagine we're more than 200 branches all over the phils (i just can't figure it out how may PC's we're using..)- how much would it cost?

by the way, i'm using ubuntu at home, i downloaded it in the internet and burned it on a cd, after 6 weeks they sent me 3 copies of it, me sticker pa, astig :cool: .. user friendly ang ubuntu, maganda rin pati user interface.. pero curious lang ako sa opensuse.. matry nga.. sabi nyo kasi maganda graphics..

guys suse ba isa sa mga distro? ano ba required specs nito sa hardware? sa mga nakagamit na, can you help me out..

di ko pa masyado gamay linux, i'm barely embracing it for 3 mos, pa lang.. :mtc:

just a question.. bakit pag ginamit ko firefox sa ubuntu, pag nag scroll down ako, parang umaalon yong page, di naman mabagal connection ko, i'm a using a broadband.. ganun ba talaga? do you guys experience the same? kasi dun sa ibang PC na iba OS di naman ganun firefox, diretso naman sya pag nag scroll down or up.. :(

Ubuntu 6 is default to gnome. ang ganda nga ng interface nito as compared to Windoze; one of the incentives sa mga sups to change to linux. hehe. it is a live CD and installer at the same time. and napansin ko as compared to the previous version, masmadali ang networking and software repository (mas user-friendly). If you are close to Makati area i can burn you a copy too. big fan ako ng linux. yun ang aking petix: to download linux distros off the internet. I use Suse 10.1 for my desktop here at the office. Napagkakamalan ngang Vista ang gamit ko lalo na kung 3D mode ang takbo (nakakabagal nga lang ng takbo but not that much)

Slackware na lang ang hindi ko pa nasusubukan. Ubuntu is debian based. I am more of an rpm junkie. try mo rin ang freespire (680+ Mb, the free version of Linspire, Debian based) and Zenwalk (490+ Mb, slackware based, am about to install it in a computer) distros.

other distros you can download off the web: fedora, centOS, old redhat distros for PIII units, BAYANIHAN LINUX (masyado mabagal ang download nito, better to get your copy from UP technopark; with support pa eto take note), Mandriva/Mandrake.

btw, sino dito may old copy ng LINDOWS? Meron ako before but the CDs got corrupted na :cry: perfect for PIII units sana and maganda pa ang interface neto. Pacopy ng mga installers if anyone has it.

bro i hope you don't mind if i'm going to ask you for a copy of opensuse 10.2, if you have a copy of it.. makati area din ako, i'm using ubuntu right now and i want to shift to suse 10.2 curious lang ako sa features nun.. pm mo na lang ako for the details if incase you read this.. :thumbsupsmiley:

bro sensya na newbie pa lang ako sa linux..

for my ubuntu, i'm using p4 2.4, 768mb ddr and 128mb geforce.

actually, yong firefox di naman mabagal pag nagbrowse yun nga lang para sya umaalon pag nagscroll down or up..

pano ba magconfig ng x?

What do you exactly need to do with X? maybe I can help... i started out with ubuntu warty warthog and probably can share some of my experiences.

What do you exactly need to do with X? maybe I can help... i started out with ubuntu warty warthog and probably can share some of my experiences.

honestly, i don't know how and what to fix with x.. suggestion lang ni roninblade..(see post above..) yong problema ko sa ubuntu is yong firefox, para syang umaalon pag nagscroll up ang down.. pero mabilis naman magbrowse.. do you experience the same with ubuntu?

honestly, i don't know how and what to fix with x.. suggestion lang ni roninblade..(see post above..) yong problema ko sa ubuntu is yong firefox, para syang umaalon pag nagscroll up ang down.. pero mabilis naman magbrowse.. do you experience the same with ubuntu?

I think your video card was not properly detected so the defualt driver was installed. Are you using an NVIDIA card? or an ATI Card?

hmmm... so sa firefox lang pala problem.

ano ba plugins ang kinabit mo dyan?

nangyari kasi sa akin before andami plugins na enabled kaya naapektuhan ang browsing.

so far wala pa ko nalalagay na plugins, i think java pa lang.. wala naman problema browsing, mabilis naman..

I think your video card was not properly detected so the defualt driver was installed. Are you using an NVIDIA card? or an ATI Card?

I'm using Nvidia card, i think tama ka bro.. kasi nung ini-install ko yung driver ayaw gumana ng auto-run ng mga cd.. ano ba dapat ko i-update para ma-auto run yong mga driver sa ubuntu..

How did you install the driver for NVIDIA?

where did you get and how did you install the nvidia driver?

from the ubuntu repositories or from the nvidia site?

i didn't install any driver for my video card.. naka default na sya from the time i installed the os (ubuntu).. kaya siguro parang umaalon yong firefox.. i tried to google for the inno3d geforce driver pero walng support para sa linux (ubuntu).. wala na ba chance na mapagana ko auto run ng cd? para mainstall ko driver..

i didn't install any driver for my video card.. naka default na sya from the time i installed the os (ubuntu).. kaya siguro parang umaalon yong firefox.. i tried to google for the inno3d geforce driver pero walng support para sa linux (ubuntu).. wala na ba chance na mapagana ko auto run ng cd? para mainstall ko driver..

Installing NVIDIA card drivers are pretty straight forward if you have a DSL or any broadband connection. You just simply follow the instructions found on this website:

Install NVIDIA proprietary drivers.