bods, i not very familiar with wines but i know a lot of people who are into wine selling.

i can give brief description about south corp wines from australia, like rosemount & lindemans, my guess, the best selling in the philippines, as to the price and taste, just the average, but i have seen a lindemans named for jackie chan.

mostly that i know also for california wines are the generic makers, didn't you know that a cellar in US produces a generic cab sauvignon & merlot for any distributor worldwide putting the any brand they like, & what funny someone sells it her in MNL, and a known distributor pa.

de loach & apprilles are my favorites medyo expensive nga lang.

the chards of south africa (two oceans) they say are still the best (my opinion), well, chilean wines are also picking up in the market right, from vina santa rita & siete soles. I just didn't know what makes a wine good, is it because of the price or the taste? more expensive the better quality. I have one bottle here of fleur du cap, is it good? i also have one finca flichman 1990.

for european, well, any robert giraud wines will be best / . frescobaldi's naman for italian.

can i also add the champagnes- dom perignon. I had this moet & chandon millenuim edition 1.5 liter for display. can't afford a dom perignon.

hello there!

actually most wines being sold are made from grapes and due to its long tradition, these are the best.

there are a lot of reds in the market - dun ka pumunta sa supemarket dahil mas mahal sa wine stores. Among the best with a lot of choices are Shopwise, Cash & Carry, Landmark, Unimart. Hwag ka pumunta sa SM dahil mas mahal sa kanila.

For beginners, safe ka na dun sa budget mong P300. Madaming mas mura kaya lang baka ma-turn off ka sa wine dahil ang mga cheapies na ito ay mapapakla. Offhand, I can say you try Butterfly Ridge - mga P300 yata ito - pero good value ito dahil pwede na. Kung hindi mo makita , just look for other P300 wines there. Madaming choices - may French, California, Chilean, Australian. May makikita ka sa mga bote na nakasulat - Cabernet Sauvignon, or Merlot, or Shiraz. Usually medyo softer ang lasa ng mga merlot kesa dun sa dalawa.

After buying your wine, store it in a cool, preferably dark place. NEVER store it in the ref or else the cork will stick and you will have difficulty in pulling out the cork.

If possible, store the wine on its side, not standing up. After opening, hwag mo nang paabutin ng more than 4 days yung alak - kundi sasama na lasa nito.

good luck pare!

tnx pre, subukan ko yung suggest mo

CHANGYU CHEFU RED WINE FEBRUARY 2003 EXPIRY DATE BEST CONSUMED BY 2006,YANTAI.CHINA

RATING PUEDE MAGBIGAY NG NEGATIVE :lol:

COLOR BRIGHT RED.SHADES OF VICKS FORMULA 44 BEST DRUNK WITH COUGHS AND RUNNY NOSE :lol: :lol: :P

hahahaha!

I knew you would come up with something like this :P

Thank goodness it was you yourself who came up with the Tasting Notes and not me hehe

As a matter of fact, yes she is! :) She works in an exporting company that wants to import wine in the Philippines, do you want to see their brochures or something? I can send it through mail if you want.

NZ wine is really good.. you're a wine-lover so I'm pretty sure you know that :)

what a coincidence!

I'm very much interested :)

I'll PM you my contact details. Thanks a lot! Offhand, can you tell me the winery they represent? Thanks again............

bods, i not very familiar with wines but i know a lot of people who are into wine selling.

i can give brief description about south corp wines from australia, like rosemount & lindemans, my guess, the best selling in the philippines, as to the price and taste, just the average, but i have seen a lindemans named for jackie chan.

mostly that i know also for california wines are the generic makers, didn't you know that a cellar in US produces a generic cab sauvignon & merlot for any distributor worldwide putting the any brand they like, & what funny someone sells it her in MNL, and a known distributor pa.

de loach & apprilles are my favorites medyo expensive nga lang.

the chards of south africa (two oceans) they say are still the best (my opinion), well, chilean wines are also picking up in the market right, from vina santa rita & siete soles. I just didn't know what makes a wine good, is it because of the price or the taste? more expensive the better quality. I have one bottle here of fleur du cap, is it good? i also have one finca flichman 1990.

for european, well, any robert giraud wines will be best / . frescobaldi's naman for italian.

can i also add the champagnes- dom perignon. I had this moet & chandon millenuim edition 1.5 liter for display. can't afford a dom perignon.

welcome pare! sure tell me about those winesellers you know. Thanks!

Southcorp is that mammoth Aussie conglomerate that carries also Penfolds and that venerable icon - the Grange. I've enjoyed Lindemans since I started drinking wine. Their best is the Bin 65 Chard but since I prefer reds - yung Shiraz Cab nila ang lagi kong binibili dati - besides which mahal talaga ang Bin 65. Jackie Chan became an endorser - I'm not quite sure they named a wine after him. Expensive yung the best Rosemounts so yung natikman ko sa kanila is so-so. The same with Penfolds' Rawson's Retreat - just average. I don't know if The Grange is available here. It's quite rare and VERY expensive.

The Gallo wines are the most well known generic California wines - but they've been around a long time. Nung hindi pa kasikatan ng wine, Gallo is THE wine for most drinkers there - ngayon medyo natabunan na sila kasi naging mas discriminating na taste ng mga wine drinkers.

DeLoach.....well.....a real boutique wine - quite expensive.

I've also been drinking Two Oceans since way back. Kaya lang medyo nagkaproblema distribution nila dito - I think their distributor closed shop pero may bago na yata ngayon kasi I've been seeing Two Oceans again.

The Chileans sell well here - mura na kasi saka medyo ok na din for everyday drinking. Gato Negro is quite a bestseller.

Price alone is not an indicator of quality but it's a good enough gauge. Para sa mga beginners medyo mahirap ma-distinguish kung masarap nga lasa pero sa mga matatagal nang umiinom, they know if a higher-priced wine is a stinker or not.

Fleur-de cap is an average wine but it's good enough for everyday drinking.

Finca Flinchman 1990? I'm not quite sure that Finca Flinchman is for maturing. Kung 14 years na yang alak mong yan I'd say medyo off na lasa nyan kaya inumin mo na at sayang lang hehe

Robert Giraud is cheap but it tastes quite good - very nice for everyday drinking.

Champagne is mostly a celebratory wine. Ok na yang Moet & Chandon mo.

I hope to see you here again, pare. thanks for the drop-by!

what a coincidence!

I'm very much interested :)

I'll PM you my contact details. Thanks a lot! Offhand, can you tell me the winery they represent? Thanks again............

I'll let you know once I got the brochures..

You'll be the one and only NZ wine seller in the whole Philippines. Well, there's possibly some other people who sells it too, but there arent that much people. My sister's company's wine has been awarded the best wine of 2004 here in NZ.

Specially now, NZ is so popular because of the LOTR. If someone's in a hotel and they'll ask what kind of wines are there, and they said we got Chardonnay from Europe, White wine from New Zealand and so on... they'll wonder how NZ wine will taste like.

Well.. I dont know much about wines, but my sister does. Please PM me your cellphone number or work phone.. and we'll ring you up whenever it suits you.

I'll let you know once I got the brochures..

You'll be the one and only NZ wine seller in the whole Philippines. Well, there's possibly some other people who sells it too, but there arent that much people. My sister's company's wine has been awarded the best wine of 2004 here in NZ.

Specially now, NZ is so popular because of the LOTR. If someone's in a hotel and they'll ask what kind of wines are there, and they said we got Chardonnay from Europe, White wine from New Zealand and so on... they'll wonder how NZ wine will taste like.

Well.. I dont know much about wines, but my sister does. Please PM me your cellphone number or work phone.. and we'll ring you up whenever it suits you.

hi thanks so much!

parang I can't recall any NZ wines being sold here - the primary reason being which may kamahalan ang mga magagandang NZ wines. And also because the specialty there is chardonnay - hindi masyadong mabenta dito ang white.

Looks like your sis works for a big time winery - being a winner of a top award. I'll e-mail you my contact numbers and let's see what happens.

Thanks a lot, J!

hi thanks so much!

parang I can't recall any NZ wines being sold here - the primary reason being which may kamahalan ang mga magagandang NZ wines. And also because the specialty there is chardonnay - hindi masyadong mabenta dito ang white.

Looks like your sis works for a big time winery - being a winner of a top award. I'll e-mail you my contact numbers and let's see what happens.

Thanks a lot, J!

Actually there are several NZ wineries that are looking for representation in the Philippines.Real life I am a member of the Philippine New Zealand business council and going to their functions,I discovered that only 1- or 2 small importers bring in kiwi wines.Bods if you are interested in representing NZ wineries,PM me contact details and I will introduce you to my friend in TradeNZ at the embassy in manila so he can refer you to the wineries.

NZ chick,now you know why I am so familiar with new zealand and I go there often . :D

Actually there are several NZ wineries that are looking for representation in the Philippines.Real life I am a member of the Philippine New Zealand business council and going to their functions,I discovered that only 1- or 2 small importers bring in kiwi wines.Bods if you are interested in representing NZ wineries,PM me contact details and I will introduce you to my friend in TradeNZ at the embassy in manila so he can refer you to the wineries.

NZ chick,now you know why I am so familiar with new zealand and I go there often . :D

Honestly, I think those people (tradenz) will serve as middlemen and will just put more patong sa wines, the great thing about my sister's companies wines is they're going to deal with the MAIN seller, wala nang patong patong and they are an exporting company as well (they're the biggest in the oceania, the small islands like papua new guinea and australia) and their wines got awarded:

2002 chardonnay - unoaked

AWARDS:

Silver International Wine and Spirit - London, England 2003

Bronze International Chardonnay Challenge - 2002

Bronze Bragatto - 2002

Bronze Cool Climate - 2003 Australia

Bronze Bragatto - 2003

Bronze Top 100 - 2003

Bronze International Chardonnay Challenge - 2003

Bronze Royal Easter 2004

Bronze Decanter World Wine Awards 2004 - London England

previous vintages

2001 - no production as quality not optimum

2000 - silver royal easter 2002

1999 - silver top 100 2000

2002 pinotage - reserved

AWARDS:

4 star cuisine - 2004

Bronze Royal Easter 2003

2002 chardonnay - reserved

AWARDS:

Silver AIR NEW ZEALAND 2002

Silver Chardonnay of the WORLD 2004 - FRANCE

Bronze International Chardonnay Challenge 2002

Bronze Royal Easter 2003

Bronze International wine and Spirit 2003 - London England

Bronze Bragatto 2003

Bronze AIR NEW ZEALAND 2003

Brone Royal Easter 2004

Merit Wine and Spirits 2004 - Singapore

Bronze Decanter World Wine Award 2004 - London England

They have more types of wines, and it'll take ages for me to finish typing! So Hanggang dyan muna.

Less cost of shipping compared to "just wine" companies. Those wineries will need shipping as well and will cost a lot more. I asked my sister to fax the brochure today and hopefully it'll reach bods.

@rey- >If you're interested as well, pm me and I'll give you my contact details or I'll ring you if you want :)

Edited by nzchick

Actually Trade NZ is not a company,It is the government agency promoting New Zealand,They dont sell anything,they just assist and promote companies that want to export.They just would provide Bods a list of wineries in Kiwiland looking for Philippine agents.Thanks for the concern.I will PM you my contact details

Guys, if you need help or got some inquiries on how to bring this wines in the philippines (taxes/customs/bfad) just send me PM.

i can give you costs of excise tax/customs duties per case on bottle.

bods, you mentioned the company that use to bring two oceans/ southcorp & bacardi/ moet hennessy, well, i should say we are those who got affected.

nz chick, i guess montana wines are from NZ right? it is bought by allied domeq yata?

Guys, if you need help or got some inquiries on how to bring this wines in the philippines (taxes/customs/bfad) just send me PM.

i can give you costs of excise tax/customs duties per case on bottle.

bods, you mentioned the company that use to bring two oceans/ southcorp & bacardi/ moet hennessy, well, i should say we are those who got affected.

nz chick, i guess montana wines are from NZ right? it is bought by allied domeq yata?

thanks i'll let you know if ever! :)

I'll try to do that, pare. Thanks a lot!

As I've said, NZ does well with whites, but whites do not sell well here but we'll see if I get to meet your trade contacts!

oist, damoobs ba yan kay nzchick? :P

Have a nice day, pare!

If I may answer, Montana is the leading winery/wine exporter from NZ, with several brands under its wing.

It's distributed here by Jardine Caldbeck. It exports, aside from Montana, also Stoneleigh and Longridge - which I've seen in some stores here.

White wines usually taste simpler than reds. They have more acidity from the fruit and tend to rest on elements of fruitiness for their appeal - freshness, lively acidity, bright aromatics and tangy flavors. As a result white wine is generally consumed while it is young.

Red wines are generally richer, deeper in flavor and smoother in texture than whites. Because of long contact during fermentation between the skins and the crushed grapes, the wine absorbs not only color but also more flavoring elements. Reds can have a puckery quality that's due to tannins, which they take in from the fruit's skin, pits and stems, or from the oak in which the wine was stored. Most reds benefit from at least some aging, during which tannins soften, and the wines become more complex.

Rose wines combine characteristics of both white and red. They tend to be crisp and fruity as whites are, but they also have some of the complexity and weight of reds. Most roses need to be consumed very young.

Fruit for sparkling wine, such as Champagne, is harvested early, so that it will be tangy and high in acid. A second fermentation, often accomplished in the individual bottle, starts with the addition of sugar. Carbon dioxide, a by-product, is trapped in the bottle, and it explodes into bubbles when the bottle is uncorked.

merlot is my favorite  ;)

great choice, pare! :P

Merlot

Merlot is the primary grape in Saint-Emilion and Pomerol and one of the two primary grapes in Bordeaux, the other being cabernet sauvignon. Though it has never been regarded as highly as cabernet sauvignon, it is used in one of the world's most expensive red wines, Pomerol's Chateau Petrus, which is 100% merlot.

In French the word merlot means "young blackbird," probably alluding to the grape's beautiful dark-blue color. Compared to cabernet sauvignon, merlot grapes ripen fairly early and have lower tannins and higher sugar levels. they produce wines that are generally softer and with slightly higher alcohol levels.

High-quality merlot wines are medium to dark red in color, rich and fruity, with characteristics of blackcurrant, cherry and mint. Merlot wines are rounder and more supple than cabernet sauvignons and can be enjoyed much earlier. Generally, merlot wines do not age as long as cabernets. A small amount of cabernet is often blended with merlot to give the wine a bit more structure.

great choice, pare! :P

Merlot

Merlot is the primary grape in Saint-Emilion and Pomerol and one of the two primary grapes in Bordeaux, the other being cabernet sauvignon. Though it has never been regarded as highly as cabernet sauvignon, it is used in one of the world's most expensive red wines, Pomerol's Chateau Petrus, which is 100% merlot.

In French the word merlot means "young blackbird," probably alluding to the grape's beautiful dark-blue color. Compared to cabernet sauvignon, merlot grapes ripen fairly early and have lower tannins and higher sugar levels. they produce wines that are generally softer and with slightly higher alcohol levels.

High-quality merlot wines are medium to dark red in color, rich and fruity, with characteristics of blackcurrant, cherry and mint. Merlot wines are rounder and more supple than cabernet sauvignons and can be enjoyed much earlier. Generally, merlot wines do not age as long as cabernets. A small amount of cabernet is often blended with merlot to give the wine a bit more structure.

pareng bods1000, you sure know a lot about wines. wine drinker ka pala. About me, I'm allergic to anything alcoholic. Asian descendants are more prone to an allergic reaction from alcohols than European descendants because of their water supply in historic times. Rivers and lakes are polluted in Europe in those days that's why Europeans consume more wines as substitute for clean water. While Asians have "cleaner" water to consume hence Europeans have evolve to having lesser (or none) hypersensitivity to wines while Asians have not. 60-70% of Asians have an allergic reaction from drinking wines.....kasama na ako duon. :)

Mama Lips, here's your St. Hugo's:

Orlando St. Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

South Australia, Barossa Valley

Rating: 93 out of 100 (real excellent pala ito!)

Medium red-purple; the elegant bouquet has good fruit ripeness, which flows through into the mid-palate of the wine. The oak has been well-handled, the wine finishing with pleasantly dry, savoury tannins. An excellent follow up to the outstanding '98 vintage.

Best drinking 2004 - 2009.

Drink with rack of lamb.

Ola Bods! I told yah masarap si St. Hugo! It's got a real looooong "finish" and to think I don't know my wines hah at lasang lasa ko siya. :lol:

I picked up a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 vintage and some gold medal award recipient ekek at the airport as part of my last minute shopping. I'm told it's supposed to be good and follows through with a "delicate mouth feel and good length." :lol: Whatever that means! Will tell you if it's any good to the wine-idiot once I've opened the bottle. Hehe.

I just might pay your resto a visit with the bf (in 4 weeks) to pick up my semillon! :) Then you and the BF can have a long discussion about wine. Whaddya say? ;)