Why Some People Hate Valentine's Day

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When I was a child in school, we were obligated to give Valentines to all of our classmates. However as I became a teenager, it was no longer a requirement so it became more of a "Watch the couples be all lovey-dovey while the singles sit around feeling lonely and jealous".

It wasn't until I got older that I realized that Valentines Day is strictly a "Marketing holiday" to drive sales just like "Black Friday", and has no real substance besides peer pressure to purchase goods/services. From Wikipedia:

On the United States mainland, about 190 million Valentine's Day cards are sent each year, not including the hundreds of millions of cards school children exchange.[102]

Valentine's Day is a major source of economic activity, with total expenditures in 2017 topping $18.2 billion in 2017, or over $136 per person.[103] This is an increase from $108 per person in 2010.[87] In 2019, a survey by the National Retail Federation found that over the previous decade, the percentage of people who celebrate Valentine's Day had declined steadily. From their survey results, they found three primary reasons: over-commercialization of the holiday, not having a significant other, and not being interested in celebrating it.

Nowadays, I look forward to Valentine's day because of the big sales on the 15th. That's the best time to enjoy Valentines day because you get to save money when all the stores are trying to get rid of unsold goods and there's an over-availability for services because everyone went the day before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...