1. I'm a doctor and i'm commenting based on my professional opinion (let me stress opinion).
2. parents with newborn can relate to some of the vaccines i will mention.
3. the political circumstances may have put a spotlight to Dengvaxia. But actually, the pharmaceutical industry is largely at fault. in my practice, i never recommend a meds nor vaccine that i haven't studied the clinical studies. last time i checked, these vaccines were absent of enough/proper clinical studies:
2. Japanese Encephalitis
4. Clinical studies are important to statistically determine effectiveness and/or side effects of these. Pharma companies hastily released these ahead of enough/proper clinical studies and trials (evidently, there's not much or no clinical papers available in public) in the name of profit (or market competition)
5. i strongly advice, please have your doctors (or yourself) study/read the clinical papers of the vaccines before agreeing to use these especially on your children.
This is the only sensible comment here and that's because it comes from someone with medical know-how.
The Dengvaxia controversy is a classic case of everybody happy "till the s@%t hits the fan" .
What most likely happened is, the yellow cult was looking for more ways to milk government funds to fund massive vote-buying for the 2016 presidential elections, which vote-buying is the only way they could make Roxas president. A mass immunization program against one of the biggest killers of children would definitely get pogi points from voters and in 2016, that could only be Dengvaxia. Never mind that Sanofi itself admitted that there wasn't sufficient clinical data on its safety and efficacy: minor point na yun which may conveniently be overlooked.
Garin broke all records in getting DOH funding for the purchase, including procurement protocol because such purchase should not have been made because it was not included in the 2017 GAA. Congressional approval was necessary and they couldn't have done that with the elections looming. This for me, is why DOH backed Garin when she said that everything was above-board: because the top honchos themselves were embroiled in the scandal.
LP got the contracts, the funds, the photo ops, which explains why eventually Dr. Ubial had to admit being pressured into the vaccine by Garin's politician hubby.
Wala na sana problema if Roxas became president. They would have swept the situation under the rug just like they did every other scandal in the past.
Kaso, Duterte won. Again, this wouldn't have been a problem even, if some kids didn't start dying of totally unrelated diseases.
Try telling a parent who thought he/she was saving her child from a dengue death, only to have his/her treasure dead by diseases like lupus, hypertension, organ failure, etc. Maghahalo talaga ang balat sa tinalupan.
Some people claim that bakit ang Singapore, accepted naman nila ang Dengvaxia, wala naman nangyayari na gaya ng sa Pinas, "only in the Philippines" daw pinasasama ang mabuti naman. To them I said, there is no question Dengvaxia works and it is a good vaccine but only when properly used. Of course they will conveniently ignore the fact that the issue is not whether Dengvaxia works, but whether Dengvaxia should be used on a mass immunization program, to the scale of 830,000 children who were not even screened prior the vaccine administration.
Never mind that Sanofi itself revealed that the vaccine works only on seropositive recipients, with doubtful effect on seronegatives.. even saying that the seronegatives would be susceptible to more serious manifestations of dengue with subsequent infection.
Acosta was demonized. I agree that she needs lessons on restraint and poised hysterics, but she has a point there. Dengvaxia MAY pose greater risks to children improperly given the vaccine and for that alone, there has to be culpability and proper accountability. One dead child via wrongly administered Dengvaxia is one death too many, coz this didn't have to happen if only they heeded Sanofi's warning, weren't greedy and so lustful of clinging to power at all costs, and utterly stupid for thinking they can get away with this.