Try ko lang 'to! :P

Are there any wine drinkers here? Let's share naman dito...

Favorite wines.......favorite varietals (do you go for cabernet? merlot? shiraz? etc)...fave brands....opinions against the use of plastic stoppers vis-a-vis cork?

any wine bars you've been to here or abroad? fave food to go with wine?

I started drinking wine in the early 90's when I learned that it had health benefits. Heck - kung iinom lang naman ako eh di yung may makakabuti na sa katawan hehehe....My drinking binges were over - sawa na akong malasing so pwede na siguro sa akin yung konting buzz lang which wine can give....

Wala akong alam sa wine nuon so I started buying the cheap wines - P100 to P200. Ugghh ang sama ng lasa pero I persevered. Later on I got curious with the more expensive wines so I started buying them and finally appreciated what the enjoyment of wines can bring. I started reading wine literature and I was on my way......Up to now, I never regretted that decision to start drinking wines. I even set-up a small wine trading company :lol: My business philosophy being If I can't sell 'em, I can drink 'em

:lol:

Anybody is welcome here - even those just curious about wines. We will be happy to teach whatever knowledge we have :)

Wine is not a snobbish affair. Forget all those conventions and just enjoy that glass (pwede nyo ring lagyan ng yelo if that will suit you :P ).....

I am not much of a wine drinker,but some favorites are vintage port from portugal with cheese,Canadian Icewine,but this is sooo expensive I rarely get to drink this and chinese great wall wine as the worst :sick: I ever tasted.Personal favorite is a crisp Rhiesling :D

Edited by cebucitylocal

Ola Bods! Eto buena mano sa thread mo. ;)

Am not such a wine afficionado although I find myself increasingly surrounded by people who are. I don't know my wines but I sure know what I like to drink. I know I like red, white at some points. Am a fan of Montepulciano/Farnesse and Shiraz.

Recently I tasted a good drop of St Hugo red and my gawd this was probably the first time I noticed the difference between this wine and the wines I tasted before. May nalalaman akong full body-full body ekek. :lol: But seriously, what struck me was the after taste of this wine, there was no bitterness nor after taste. It just went down smooth and nice and left the palate with the feeling of a warm glow. :)

Wala akong alam sa wine nuon so I started buying the cheap wines - P100 to P200. Ugghh ang sama ng lasa pero I persevered. Later on I got curious with the more expensive wines so I started buying them and finally appreciated what the enjoyment of wines can bring. I started reading wine literature and I was on my way......Up to now, I never regretted that decision to start drinking wines. I even set-up a small wine trading company :lol: My business philosophy being If I can't sell 'em, I can drink 'em

:lol:

Allo bods! I've got a premium drop from Margaret River Watershed which I'd like you to sample (Shiraz, Merlot). Perhaps I can give you a heads up in the event I fly in?

Regards,

Z

I am not much of a wine drinker,but some favorites are vintage port from portugal with cheese,Canadian Icewine,but this is sooo expensive I rarely get to drink this and chinese great wall wine as the worst :sick: I ever tasted.Personal favorite is a crisp Rhiesling :D

pare halos pareho lang tayo..I haven't tasted a lot of wines pero preferred drink ko lang talaga...I haven't tasted port like you do. Port is fortified wine - with a higher alcohol content (wine ranges from 10 to 15%), and I do think that port is not made anywhere else but in Portugal only.

I never realized Canadian Icewine is expensive. I think it has to do with the added process of chilling that makes the price prohibitive. Ordinary wine basically just goes through fermentation.

When I saw these Chinese wines, I never really bothered to try them because, well let's face it - do the Chinese know how to make wine? :D But knowing the Chinese, time will come when I think they will get the hang of making wine - and that's when I will get to taste their product.

Hmmm....riesling. i've heard so much about it and I have never personally tasted it . It's an indigenous German grape variety but it's cultivated everywhere now and Australians have gotten good at making superb rieslings. More often, rieslings are made into sweet dessert wines - the ones Australians call stickies.

Thanks, ccl for the contributions and hope you visit often. We can share some wines...

Ola Bods!  Eto buena mano sa thread mo. ;)

Am not such a wine afficionado although I find myself increasingly surrounded by people who are.  I don't know my wines but I sure know what I like to drink.  I know I like red, white at some points.  Am a fan of Montepulciano/Farnesse and Shiraz. 

Recently I tasted a good drop of St Hugo red and my gawd this was probably the first time I noticed the difference between this wine and the wines I tasted before.  May nalalaman akong full body-full body ekek.  :lol:  But seriously, what struck me was the after taste of this wine, there was no bitterness nor after taste.  It just went down smooth and nice and left the palate with the feeling of a warm glow. :)

hello :)

Nako sayang bigyan sana kita ng isang Semillon sa pagka-buena mano pero naunahan ka ni ccl :D It's so nice to see you here.........

Oh, I don't call myself an afficionado - I just like drinking wine - parang pare-pareho lang naman tayong nag-uumpisa dito eh hehehe.

Yung preference sa wine - either red or white - sometimes depends on what you are having with the wine. The convention states red meat with red wine; white meat with white wine, together with pastas or salads. pero para sa akin whatever goes na lang. I'm not really a stickler for these rules. Pero there might be a modicum of wisdom sa convention na ito because wine should either enhance or stay in the background - depending on what you are eating. If you drink a robust Australian Barossa Valley shiraz with, say, sea bass - malulunod yung lasa ng fish sa lasa ng wine. You won't be able to appreciate then the exquisite flavor of the fish - eh ang mahal pa naman ng sea bass :D

So you like Italians (the wines) and they're quite good too. Italian wine-making has also come of age and they now make exquisite wines. You can also try their Barolos - these are their big, robust reds. Medyo expensive nga lang. And shiraz of course - Australian hallmark. Very nice....pero Australia has different regions and each region has their own charecteristic climate so shiraz from one region to another differs in personality. Anong shiraz ba iniinom mo?

I'm not familiar with St. Hugo. Is it French? Pero you're right about that full-body. Cheap wines are somewhat thin to the taste - you know, parang umiinom ka lang ng tubig na kinulayan :P And masarap talagang inumin yung walang aftertaste - the cheapos are so mapakla it leaves your mouth so dry and thick hehehe. But Lipstick, some of the good wines are what they call tannic. They leave some aftertaste but this is not a sign of inferiority - rather it just means the wine is still young and needs to mature for several years pa. Also, they have what is called a long finish. The mark of a superior wine is when it leaves a pleasurable taste in the whole mouth even after swallowing. The inferior ones have a short finish - does not leave any lingering taste after swallowing.

Visit often ha...maybe we finally get to meet over a glass of your favorite Montepulciano :blush:

Edited by bods1000
Allo bods! I've got a premium drop from Margaret River Watershed which I'd like you to sample (Shiraz, Merlot). Perhaps I can give you a heads up in the event I fly in?

Regards,

Z

hello Z :P Kumusta ka na dyan Down Under?

come to think of it - the wines that I import there comes from the Margaret River region. Very nice region! Ang sales pitch ko dyan is : Margaret River has a Mediterranean climate so the wines there come off as smooth and with a lot of finesse. In fact, shiraz from Margaret River tastes so smooth - parang French na ang dating as compared to the big, bruising shirazes and other reds from, say the Barossa or the Hunter Valley.

Watershed....I got to look it up. If it's with your recommendation, then it must be note-worthy.

Z, your offer of a heads up is very much welcome. Your dish of choice at the resto in exchange for that Watershed shiraz, ok :P

pare halos pareho lang tayo..I haven't tasted a lot of wines pero preferred drink ko lang talaga...I haven't tasted port like you do. Port is fortified wine - with a higher alcohol content (wine ranges from 10 to 15%), and I do think that port is not made anywhere else but in Portugal only.

I never realized Canadian Icewine is expensive. I think it has to do with the added process of chilling that makes the price prohibitive. Ordinary wine basically just goes through fermentation.

When I saw these Chinese wines, I never really bothered to try them because, well let's face it - do the Chinese know how to make wine? :D But knowing the Chinese, time will come when I think they will get the hang of making wine - and that's when I will get to taste their product.

Hmmm....riesling. i've heard so much about it and I have never personally tasted it . It's an indigenous German grape variety but it's cultivated everywhere now and Australians have gotten good at making superb rieslings. More often, rieslings are made into sweet dessert wines - the ones Australians call stickies.

Thanks, ccl for the contributions and hope you visit often. We can share some wines...

Actually what makes Icewine so expensive is the method,it is made,It is made out of grapes allowed to freeze on the vines,but sice only 10-30% of the grapes survive till winter,it takes 5-8 times the normal number of grapes to make a bottle.Parang 1 bottle of icewine uses the grapes of 4-8 normal bottles.But the sugar is concentrated by the freezing that it is really delicous,but prices are like a minimum of mga 60$ abroad,I have seen bottles for sales here at around 3t.

Port is a more refined version of Mompo,and regarding chinese wine,do you want some ??? :lol: PM me,I have a few bottles I was given as gifts which I refuse to drink :sick: I would me more then happy to give you a bottle so you can compare how it tastes like cough syrup :lol: regards

Edited by cebucitylocal

Ola Bods! Hehe take two na ako dito kaya pwede mo na akong bigyan ng isang bote ng Semillon! :lol:

St. Hugo is from the Barossa Valley and from the Yalumba Estates ata according to my boyfriend ;) And I am most certain you will enjoy this drop (I forget the year .. ahh 2002 or 2001 ata which supposedly is a good year ... hahah whatever! I mean what do I know! hehe), once swallowed eh tama ka walang ka aftertaste aftertaste kapag mahusay ang wine. I still can't get over the synesthesia of the taste and the feel. Long finish pala tawag doon ... hehehe quite similar to that long finish we feel I suppose while having epidermal felicity with another featherless biped in desperate congress! :lo: Harharhar.

While leaving Port Macquarie in New South Wales, we stopped by the Wine Shop and I got to take a sip of a nice Riesling -- Sherwood Estates 2001 Traminer. Strangely it felt sparkly and bubbly. Like I mentioned earlier am not such a fan of white but will drink it of course if there's nothing else to drink :lol: but this riesling was nice, sweet and crisp (to borrow CCL's term). We got a bottle and well hehe it is still unopened so am looking forward to drinking it soon when the boyfriend rolls into town. Oh yeah pity we didn't get to make the Hunter Valley sidetrip otherwise marami sana akong kwento pa :lol:

I keep on saying this, while in Australia eh I never drank so much in my entire life than in the one month I was there. :lol: Whether with meals or just plain chit chat! It's amazing how much one can drink in an entire afternoon. :D Sa dami ng bote hindi ko na matandaan anong pinagiinum ko :lol: I vaguely recall a few such as the Mcwilliams Mt Pleasant Rosehill Shiraz, Stonefish Cabernet Merlot and this other bottle that's a mix of Cabernet, Merlot and Shiraz. I will ask my expert boyfriend na lang and shall report it here. :)

Cheers!

hello Z :P Kumusta ka na dyan Down Under?

come to think of it - the wines that I import there comes from the Margaret River region. Very nice region! Ang sales pitch ko dyan is : Margaret River has a Mediterranean climate so the wines there come off as smooth and with a lot of finesse. In fact, shiraz from Margaret River tastes so smooth - parang French na ang dating as compared to the big, bruising shirazes and other reds from, say the Barossa or the Hunter Valley.

Watershed....I got to look it up. If it's with your recommendation, then it must be note-worthy.

Z, your offer of a heads up is very much welcome. Your dish of choice at the resto in exchange for that Watershed shiraz, ok :P

You're on mate! I am already arranging for some samples to be shipped to Manila and your restaurant is good enough for me (or would you prefer to have it with cheese?). It is being marketed as a premium wine and I must agree after sampling the other wines here. Come to think of it, it's the only thing I drink other than JD :D Looks like wine tasting events will become part of the company itinerary - woohoo! :lol:

bods, talaga naman pare, we seem to be on he same page...rock and roll, records...the bachannalian life personified, heh, heh...like you, medyo bago ako sa wine. i have tried to taste different brands, pero madami talaga. good thing dito sa bangkok laging may promo (buy 1, take 1). i like the chilean wines (frontera cabernet sauvignon, carta vieja, santa alicia merlot) and the south african brands. they're cheaper than the french wines, but very good in body and taste. i often get a free bottle or two, because my wife's boss here recently started a wine distrubution business.

I enjoy wines too.

Some of the Californian wines are actually quite good and cheap. I especially like their rosés.

Also tried an Argentenian wine, as well as some Chilean. I mostly take French and Italian though.

For reds, I like my wine either very berry-like or nutty (nice with chocolates) :D

For whites, I prefer the dessert wines. The kind that will go well with a nice slice of Cantal cheese.

If you guys ever get a chance, try wines from New York. Long Island and Upstate New York like around Onondaga Lake have wonderful wineries. I always liked the white wines of the wineries there especially the reislings. Their red wines are ok too, less robust compared to french reds.

i also like drinking wine but i am hardly a connoisseur. i just love reds cabernet sauvignon, merlot, shiraz...usually from chile or australia. i also like spanish tempranillo and italian sangiovese...for white wines i like pinot grigio the most, then chardonnay and riesling...

i just hate how how wine is overpriced here sa pinas...maybe sa shop mo bod1000 reasonable ang price. :)

Edited by chris_md

Can anyone recommend a good ice wine? I wanna try it kasi eh. I was watching the thirsty traveller some months back and ice wine was the feature for that episode. I couldn't recall any specifics but now that someone here said they've already tried it I was wondering if you can help me out.

Can anyone recommend a good ice wine? I wanna try it kasi eh. I was watching the thirsty traveller some months back and ice wine was the feature for that episode. I couldn't recall any specifics but now that someone here said they've already tried it I was wondering if you can help me out.

Generally Ice wines are from Germany and Canada,I would reccomend the canadian ones as better value then the german ones.I bought mines at Rustans Ayala,hope this helps

Actually what makes Icewine so expensive is the method,it is made,It is made out of grapes allowed to freeze on the vines,but sice only 10-30% of the grapes survive till winter,it takes 5-8 times the normal number of grapes to make a bottle.Parang 1 bottle of icewine uses the grapes of 4-8 normal bottles.But the sugar is concentrated by the freezing that it is really delicous,but prices are like a minimum of mga 60$ abroad,I have seen bottles for sales here at around 3t.

Port is a more refined version of Mompo,and regarding chinese wine,do you want some ??? :lol: PM me,I have a few bottles I was given as gifts which I refuse to drink :sick: I would me more then happy to give you a bottle so you can compare how it tastes like cough syrup :lol: regards

Thanks ccl for that info about Icewine....so ganun pala yun. It must be delicious but I bet the alcohol content is high, because if the sugar content in a grape is allowed to go up, alcohol content also shoots up. Tell me where Icewine is being sold ok?

uhmmm...no thanks for your Chinese wines :P Since you mention cough syrup baka nga magkasakit pa 'ko when I drink that lolz. Hmmm...I wonder what we can do with those bottles :unsure:

Ola Bods! Hehe take two na ako dito kaya pwede mo na akong bigyan ng isang bote ng Semillon! :lol:

St. Hugo is from the Barossa Valley and from the Yalumba Estates ata according to my boyfriend ;) And I am most certain you will enjoy this drop (I forget the year .. ahh 2002 or 2001 ata which supposedly is a good year ... hahah whatever! I mean what do I know! hehe), once swallowed eh tama ka walang ka aftertaste aftertaste kapag mahusay ang wine. I still can't get over the synesthesia of the taste and the feel. Long finish pala tawag doon ... hehehe quite similar to that long finish we feel I suppose while having epidermal felicity with another featherless biped in desperate congress! :lo: Harharhar.

While leaving Port Macquarie in New South Wales, we stopped by the Wine Shop and I got to take a sip of a nice Riesling -- Sherwood Estates 2001 Traminer. Strangely it felt sparkly and bubbly. Like I mentioned earlier am not such a fan of white but will drink it of course if there's nothing else to drink :lol: but this riesling was nice, sweet and crisp (to borrow CCL's term). We got a bottle and well hehe it is still unopened so am looking forward to drinking it soon when the boyfriend rolls into town. Oh yeah pity we didn't get to make the Hunter Valley sidetrip otherwise marami sana akong kwento pa :lol:

I keep on saying this, while in Australia eh I never drank so much in my entire life than in the one month I was there. :lol: Whether with meals or just plain chit chat! It's amazing how much one can drink in an entire afternoon. :D Sa dami ng bote hindi ko na matandaan anong pinagiinum ko :lol: I vaguely recall a few such as the Mcwilliams Mt Pleasant Rosehill Shiraz, Stonefish Cabernet Merlot and this other bottle that's a mix of Cabernet, Merlot and Shiraz. I will ask my expert boyfriend na lang and shall report it here. :)

Cheers!

Hello again! I'm so honored by your presence. The semillon is yours for the taking. It's from Margaret River. Sayang you didn't make that Hunter Valley trip. They say the best semillons come from Hunter Valley but semillons from Margaret River have a different character and is so markedly different from the Hunter Valleys. It's equally enjoyable!

Galing-galing naman your bf - I think he should make a guest stint in this Thread :P So, St. Hugo is an Australian, and if it's from the Barossa, it should be quite robust. Is it a shiraz or what? Yalumba Estates is a prestigious Aussie winery and it ranks among the best Down Under. Their wines are quite on the high-end with regards to price. I don't know if St. Hugo is available here although I've seen several Yalumba Estates here.

You're right about those vintages. Wineries have to contend with the climatic conditons for every year and winemakers have to grapple with how they will craft the wine for a certain year's harvest - so it follows that not every vintage for a winery, no matter how distinguished, will be the same. So you have reviewers telling you that this vintage was not as good as another year's vintage or some such thing. For example, they say that the 1998 Cabernets from California were the best that has ever come out from that region. So if you still happen to have a California cabernet sauvignon from that vintage - hold on to it, don't drink it - because wine collectors will make a beeline to you with loads of dollars say, five to ten years from now :P

Hehehehe.... the most enjoyable moments in life are always marked by a long finish and I agree with you 100% :evil: Epidermal felicity ka dyan! You must be having more than a buzz with that St. Hugo :P

About your Sherwood Estates Traminer. Is it really a riesling, because traminer is a grape wine and it's different from riesling. Traminer is short for gewurtztraminer. It also originally came from Germany and it's mostly made into sweet wines. Masarap din yun talaga, as you were saying.

Australia has developed into a great winemaking and winedrinking country so it's no wonder that you got to drink a lot of wines there!. How I wish I had your routine there hehe, and I do not mean that epidermal felicity lolz. McWilliams is a very old and distinguished winery; Stonefish I'm not sure what winery that came from but I'm sure it must also be good.

Cheers! and hear from you again :)

You're on mate! I am already arranging for some samples to be shipped to Manila and your restaurant is good enough for me (or would you prefer to have it with cheese?). It is being marketed as a premium wine and I must agree after sampling the other wines here. Come to think of it, it's the only thing I drink other than JD :D Looks like wine tasting events will become part of the company itinerary - woohoo! :lol:

I'll wait for the samples :P Pero how where when hehehe naglalaway na 'ko agad ah....Thanks for the compliments! I'll see you there again and then get a sip either of your Watershed or my wine there - kahit cheese lang pwede na. Hey, in fact most of the time sa bahay it's only cheese that I have while drinking a red...If it's premium it must be quite expensive, pero good things don't come cheap as always..

uhmmm...not bad for a company itinerary hehehe

bods, talaga naman pare, we seem to be on he same page...rock and roll, records...the bachannalian life personified, heh, heh...like you, medyo bago ako sa wine. i have tried to taste different brands, pero madami talaga. good thing dito sa bangkok laging may promo (buy 1, take 1). i like the chilean wines (frontera cabernet sauvignon, carta vieja, santa alicia merlot) and the south african brands. they're cheaper than the french wines, but very good in body and taste. i often get a free bottle or two, because my wife's boss here recently started a wine distrubution business.

hello there sally :P I'm no bacchanal; maybe it's you that's living that hedonistic life in Bangkok!

Parang wine and rock - hindi magandang combi ano? hehehe pero here we are!

When I was there in Bangkok, I got to compare the retail prices with those in Manila and mas mahal ang mga wines dyan, pare. Good thing as you say may mga buy 1-take 1 lagi dyan. Yung take 1 mo ipadala mo na lang sa akin dito :P

The Chileans are good - and medyo nakahabol na sila in terms of quality and winemaking skills - and they're cheaper to boot. Also, naunang lumabas dyan sa Bangkok yung ibang Chileans kesa dito sa Manila. I've seen Frontera here pero I still haven't tasted it.

South Africa has also come of age. Magaganda na yung mga wines nila. Try KWV, pare- I'm sure meron dyan! And also tell me what other South Africans are there, ok?

thanks for visiting the Thread!

I enjoy wines too.

Some of the Californian wines are actually quite good and cheap. I especially like their rosés.

Also tried an Argentenian wine, as well as some Chilean. I mostly take French and Italian though.

For reds, I like my wine either very berry-like or nutty (nice with chocolates) :D

For whites, I prefer the dessert wines. The kind that will go well with a nice slice of Cantal cheese.

hi there pare! nice to see you here!

A lot of the popular Californians here are quite cheap - Carlo Rossi, Turning Leaf, etc. But the best Californians are of the ultrapremium variety - selling for not less than a thousand pesos. If you really want to have a sip of the best wines from the region be ready to spend that much. Yun nga ang major complaint about the Californians - sobra mahal when you can almost get the same quality from Australians or New Zealand wines at almost half the price.

The Argentinians, along with the Chileans, are at the forefront of the winemaking revolution in the New World - as opposed to the Old World wines from Europe. Maraming masarap din na Argentinians - I'll look up my sources and I'll tell you the best Argentinians, ok?

Masarap talaga ang wines with berry notes or nutty-flavored. Tell me pare kung anong wines na natikman mo na ganun. Others naman like them spicy, or smoky, or peach-flavored. You have to go with what a reviewer says about a certain wine, kasi offhand staring at a wine bottle in a store hindi mo talaga malalaman kung ano character nun.

Kudos to your dessert wines - not many are available here, though.

Nice seeing you here, pare!