Photo

Cat Lovers

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can buy some kitty supplies? My cousin's cat kept scratching her furniture, I told her that she should get one of those scratching posts so Milla (the kitten) can dig her little claws on that instead of the sofa. Either that or she should let Milla play outside and scratch trees... :P

There's a pet and grooming store on the first floor of Vets in Practice in Mandaluyong. Near the rotonda going toward the makati bridge. They're pretty complete. They even have little beds and stuff like that. But I think a lot of pets stores might have scratching posts sweetie :)

#42 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

That is soooo sweet! :lol:

I wish I could have a cat as a pet.. too bad, tita aint for the cats.. prefer dogs.

I saw a kitty on my way home in the terminal of trycycle, i wanna get it though
it has lots of bites && furs are everywhere.. poor kitty -_-

You are like me and the rest of my family. Lahat kami namumulot ng pusa. I even got cats in the office and had to pay the janitor extra to keep the place from stinking up.

We have about 30+ pusakals at home. We're slowly getting them neutered. Mahal din eh, P1,200 for each female cat. In the meantime we always have a new litter about every 6 weeks. You can imagine my cat food bill. Thank God for Makro and S&R. At least mura mura doon ang cat food.

But the vet bills can add up. One young female cat 'linggit' had to be stiched because not only was she nursing her kittens she even allows older kittens to nurse on her and they practically tore off her two nipples. Good thing we never ran out of nursing mommy cats so the kittens always get fed somehow.

Only about 6 cats stay inside the house. The rest camp out in the garden, the terrace, outside the garage. When it rains, we open the garage doos for them to take shelter. Next week the carpenters will finish an open shed for them in the garden. I have three dogs, a huge 50 kilo pitbull, a 6 month old german shepherd, and a 3 year old toy poodle and they get along with all the cats even if my poodle mortally hates the pitbull and wants to k*ll him every time he sets eyes on Merlin.

The cats can sleep on Merlin 's belly and even do that scratching/maqssaging action on him and he doesn't mind. If they get too close to his balls he justs stands up and mov es to another spot.
  • Ninoattina likes this

#43 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can buy some kitty supplies? My cousin's cat kept scratching her furniture, I told her that she should get one of those scratching posts so Milla (the kitten) can dig her little claws on that instead of the sofa. Either that or she should let Milla play outside and scratch trees... :P

Well, if youlike really nice stuff, a new shop just opened at the Bonifacio High Street/Serendra called Landes and Hobbes. They have a fairly extensive and very high end pet supply section. I got my office cat a smart feeding dish that has a plastic lid that stays shut until it detects a cat infront of it. When the cat steps away it closes. A great way to keep food clean and flies out not to mention the fishy smell of some catfood.

They have organic petfood for cats and dogs but the prices are YIKES!. P3.5k for 2.5 kilos. Royal Canin na lang.

#44 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

You are like me and the rest of my family. Lahat kami namumulot ng pusa. I even got cats in the office and had to pay the janitor extra to keep the place from stinking up.

We have about 30+ pusakals at home. We're slowly getting them neutered. Mahal din eh, P1,200 for each female cat. In the meantime we always have a new litter about every 6 weeks. You can imagine my cat food bill. Thank God for Makro and S&R. At least mura mura doon ang cat food.

But the vet bills can add up. One young female cat 'linggit' had to be stiched because not only was she nursing her kittens she even allows older kittens to nurse on her and they practically tore off her two nipples. Good thing we never ran out of nursing mommy cats so the kittens always get fed somehow.

Only about 6 cats stay inside the house. The rest camp out in the garden, the terrace, outside the garage. When it rains, we open the garage doos for them to take shelter. Next week the carpenters will finish an open shed for them in the garden. I have three dogs, a huge 50 kilo pitbull, a 6 month old german shepherd, and a 3 year old toy poodle and they get along with all the cats even if my poodle mortally hates the pitbull and wants to k*ll him every time he sets eyes on Merlin.

The cats can sleep on Merlin 's belly and even do that scratching/maqssaging action on him and he doesn't mind. If they get too close to his balls he justs stands up and mov es to another spot.

My goodness, you are a true cat lover :)

#45 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

They have organic petfood for cats and dogs but the prices are YIKES!. P3.5k for 2.5 kilos. Royal Canin na lang.

Holy cow. That's a little nuts to spend like that for cat food. Royal Canin can be a little expensive compare to frisky's or Whiskas. But they're good. My cat, Yoda is prone to crystalization in his urinary track, it's like uti and cats can die from it. So I have to feed him Royal Canin In Door cat food. It doesn't the things that cause crystalization.

#46 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

Holy cow. That's a little nuts to spend like that for cat food. Royal Canin can be a little expensive compare to frisky's or Whiskas. But they're good. My cat, Yoda is prone to crystalization in his urinary track, it's like uti and cats can die from it. So I have to feed him Royal Canin In Door cat food. It doesn't the things that cause crystalization.

Well, check with your vet but my vet tells me that if my cat will condescend to eat--of all things, dog food, we can avoid the gall stone problem. Unfortunately, of voer 30 cats in the house, only one cat, my half persion, Possum would eat dog food and only if he shares the same dish with his pal, Merlin the 50kg pit bull. I do have to watch out for dogs snacking on left over cat food because they do end up with urinary tract problems as my poodle did.

So, Royal Canins it is for everyone except the neighborhood pusakal who beg fofr food in the yard so we feed them anyway but only the cheap stuff from S&R. This Royal Canin stuff is really good.

#47 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

Interesting. But what if another furry animal gets close to the feeding dish? Will it know the difference between a cat or a dog, or even a rabbit? :P

Well, its not that smart. Its just some kind of proximity detector device that it has. anything the size of a cat will set it off. even a hand waving at it will. but a cockroach won't. I've seen it try.

#48 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Well, check with your vet but my vet tells me that if my cat will condescend to eat--of all things, dog food, we can avoid the gall stone problem. Unfortunately, of voer 30 cats in the house, only one cat, my half persion, Possum would eat dog food and only if he shares the same dish with his pal, Merlin the 50kg pit bull. I do have to watch out for dogs snacking on left over cat food because they do end up with urinary tract problems as my poodle did.

So, Royal Canins it is for everyone except the neighborhood pusakal who beg fofr food in the yard so we feed them anyway but only the cheap stuff from S&R. This Royal Canin stuff is really good.

Oh I didn't know that dogs can also suffer from that by eating cat food. Good to know. My dog Ngyort eats everything under the sun :)

It's nice of you to feed all the kitty cats in your area. It must get expensive though.

#49 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

Oh I didn't know that dogs can also suffer from that by eating cat food. Good to know. My dog Ngyort eats everything under the sun :)

It's nice of you to feed all the kitty cats in your area. It must get expensive though.

Cats and dogs can get affected by food we can eat everyday. Onions, chocolate, garlic, and raisins are stuff you should keep them away from.

The cost of cat food--even the cheapest in town does add up. But we'd rather incur the expense than have to bear seeing skinny, mangey, forlorn stray cats around the neighborhood. What really hurts the pocket are the vet bills. Some strays will show up with massive burns because someone doused them with boiling water, some with cuts or flayed skin, all of these guys had to be given medical attention else they suffer in pain. They sentient beings you know.

#50 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

Cats and dogs can get affected by food we can eat everyday. Onions, chocolate, garlic, and raisins are stuff you should keep them away from.

The cost of cat food--even the cheapest in town does add up. But we'd rather incur the expense than have to bear seeing skinny, mangey, forlorn stray cats around the neighborhood. What really hurts the pocket are the vet bills. Some strays will show up with massive burns because someone doused them with boiling water, some with cuts or flayed skin, all of these guys had to be given medical attention else they suffer in pain. They sentient beings you know.

Well my dog eats all kinds of vegetables and fruits. He even ate baked tahong.

Oh dear. I can't understand why people would do something so mean to a cat, like pouring hot water on them. It's really awful. I know they need to be treated humanely.

#51 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

Well my dog eats all kinds of vegetables and fruits. He even ate baked tahong.

Oh dear. I can't understand why people would do something so mean to a cat, like pouring hot water on them. It's really awful. I know they need to be treated humanely.

You'll be surprised how many people still consider cats and dogs as part of their farm chattel. Cats are supposed to rid their homes of vermin and not steal from the table. Unfortunately, they have children who are amused by young cats and hand-feed them with table scraps when they still look small and cuddly. Of course, they grow up acquiring bad habits and think that stealing from the dinner table is something normal for them. Them they are treated like pests.

You see this even in affluent neighborhoods when the domestic help usually bring their provincial ways of treating animals with them. When they get scolded, they are usually confused what the fuss is all about. Sometimes I am tempted to give them a sample of how they treat animals--but they are not in my employ. My household staff gets an animal awareness and sensitivity lesson as part of their early briefing and training when they are first employed.

#52 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

You'll be surprised how many people still consider cats and dogs as part of their farm chattel. Cats are supposed to rid their homes of vermin and not steal from the table. Unfortunately, they have children who are amused by young cats and hand-feed them with table scraps when they still look small and cuddly. Of course, they grow up acquiring bad habits and think that stealing from the dinner table is something normal for them. Them they are treated like pests.

You see this even in affluent neighborhoods when the domestic help usually bring their provincial ways of treating animals with them. When they get scolded, they are usually confused what the fuss is all about. Sometimes I am tempted to give them a sample of how they treat animals--but they are not in my employ. My household staff gets an animal awareness and sensitivity lesson as part of their early briefing and training when they are first employed.

I know what you mean. I've seen dogs kept in metal cages outside, exposed to the rain and the sun. It's horrible but I can't do anything about it because it's their pet. Pet?! They don't understand what a pet is.

I treat my dogs and cats like my kids. I give them treats, I play with them, I buy them toys and I talk to them. My maid sees that so she treats them that way too. People need to be educated, they need sensitivity training.

#53 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

I know what you mean. I've seen dogs kept in metal cages outside, exposed to the rain and the sun. It's horrible but I can't do anything about it because it's their pet. Pet?! They don't understand what a pet is.

I treat my dogs and cats like my kids. I give them treats, I play with them, I buy them toys and I talk to them. My maid sees that so she treats them that way too. People need to be educated, they need sensitivity training.

You know, I was thing about what you said... Perhaps we can somehow help an NGO like PAWS develop and produce a VCD (to make it really cheap) on sensitivity and animal humaneness. I will take that a step further and post it. Let me make a few calls...

This can include the law on aniumal cruelty.

#54 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

As I was fixing to wax the car this morning, this little kitten barely four weeks old scampered into the garage and headed straight for my huge pitbull sleeping on his mattress. The kitten is called Friendship because nothing really fazes him. It is still remarkable that a 50 kg dog that always wants to beat up any canine in his path (and one 'akyat bahay' gang 2 years ago) would peacefully lie while small sharp claws clamber on top of his torso.

#55 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12326 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

Well, if youlike really nice stuff, a new shop just opened at the Bonifacio High Street/Serendra called Landes and Hobbes. They have a fairly extensive and very high end pet supply section. I got my office cat a smart feeding dish that has a plastic lid that stays shut until it detects a cat infront of it. When the cat steps away it closes. A great way to keep food clean and flies out not to mention the fishy smell of some catfood.

I'm intrigued by this smart feeding dish. But I assume that it does not differentiate between a cat and a dog?
I had to put my cat's dish on a seat because our dog took a liking to our cat food and the vet said that cat food is dangerous to a dog.

#56 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

You know, I was thing about what you said... Perhaps we can somehow help an NGO like PAWS develop and produce a VCD (to make it really cheap) on sensitivity and animal humaneness. I will take that a step further and post it. Let me make a few calls...

This can include the law on aniumal cruelty.

That's a good idea. I know there is a law on animal cruelty but is it enforced?

As I was fixing to wax the car this morning, this little kitten barely four weeks old scampered into the garage and headed straight for my huge pitbull sleeping on his mattress. The kitten is called Friendship because nothing really fazes him. It is still remarkable that a 50 kg dog that always wants to beat up any canine in his path (and one 'akyat bahay' gang 2 years ago) would peacefully lie while small sharp claws clamber on top of his torso.

What a gentle giant he is :)

#57 boomouse

boomouse

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1910 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

I'm intrigued by this smart feeding dish. But I assume that it does not differentiate between a cat and a dog?
I had to put my cat's dish on a seat because our dog took a liking to our cat food and the vet said that cat food is dangerous to a dog.

No unfortunately it does not. anything that it senses in front of it, it will try to feed.

#58 Guest_Slick_*

Guest_Slick_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

I just wish that there is an organization here that imprisons those who exercise animal cruelty, a group just like the Animal Police in Miami. I really appreciate that show, because the Animal Police really nurse the animals back to health after they rescue the animals from their worthless owners. Sure, the police can be quite OC sometimes, but you know, it would really help if pets here can be given the same care like those in the States.

It's really frustrating to see people hurt animals, for ANY reason at all. And I noticed that people here are more mean towards cats than dogs.

I know that show. I watch it sometimes. Yeah I wish we could have that kind of support to enforce the laws against animal.

I know I probably couldn't work as an enforcer. If I came across someone who was being mean to an animal I'd get too emotional and probably beat the crap out of that person.

#59 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12326 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

No unfortunately it does not. anything that it senses in front of it, it will try to feed.

yup except for roaches and other insects, as you said.
just to digress, when I first realized that it would be easier to have a cat because it grooms itself and does not have to pee and poo anywhere except in its cat litter, I tried to get one over and above the objection of my wife, who is a dog lover. Ngayon okay na sila nung cat although she sometimes gets exasperated with him as he is still in that very playful stage.

I got the cat from our vet who said that it was a Persian and I got it because in my research Persians tend to be passive and not run around. It turned out that the mother was a Maine coon and he is turning out to be more of a Maine coon in appearance and behavior. So we now have a 7-month old cat who rans around the house, topples things accidentally and forever craves for attention. :D

#60 the_Master

the_Master

Wanting

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Girls...open-minded girls....

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

ako....I love pussies...I mean....... CATS
shhhh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users