His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

Mahirap sabihing Greatest si Jordan, unfair kala, Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cosy, Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, etc (to name quite a few)

Kanya-kanyang panahon lang yan eh.  Iba ang panahon ng mga players mentioned above, iba rin ang technology. 

Hindi ka wide-spread ang NBA tulad nung 1960's, so walang masyadong EXPOSURE.  I believe you can blame media for not exposing the Great Players of the 60', 70's, 80's too much because of technology na rin on that period.

Those are the players who pioneered the game. 

I believe nahaluan na rin ng much HYPE ang popularity ni Jordan.

Tamang Tama.

i think its more appropriate to say the he's the greatest IMPACT player to play the game, or the greatest clutch shooter. the word "greatest" is just too broad to figure out. greatest in what? he's definitely not the greatest 3 pt shooter, the greatest scorer, nor greatest dunker (again, too broad to describe). and also the greatest money-generating cager the modern sports has known... he can also ba the most influential sports figure known to man, (alongside Ali ang other icons).

^^^yea, got it right hype.  hype+winning attitude+real/reel life hightlights made jordan a god. anyway, no other cager have made majority of fans got crazy more than what mj did.  oh, i forgot, it's jordan who made these dollar-hungry media and league people filthy rich.  If ever Lebron can surpass all the revenues and $$$s MJ gave to these people (from the league, media, endorsed commodities, etc.) they will also worship him like MJ.  Oh yes, speaking of Lebron, these media are also the same culprit that crown Bronnie to be the King, the true heir to the throne, barely just out of high school.  The league, the media, nike, etc desperately need another michael for them to tickle once again the crazy fan's fantasy for them to earn more money.....  so all in all, it's really more about money....

If only Jabbar or Bill Russell can bring that much money to the NBA,(or american economy as well,) then they should be the Basketball God, not MJ.  But what people buy is the drama, the thrill, the showtime only MJ can provide.  Kahit mas konti ang ring nya kesa kay russell (6 against 11), kahit 3rd lang sya sa total career pts, kahit di sya ng 3 pt champion ala bird, kahit may mga pagkakamali pa rin sya as a person, (sugarol, babaero, malakas mang asar, etc.) the important thing is that, he makes people buy; that why for most, he's the greatest.  Kahit ata a palaya i endorse nya, maraming bibili at kakain.  he's the perfect and ultimate marketing tool. I should know, nung college ako inuubos ko baon ko maipambili ko lang ng basketball cards ni MJ.  mas malupit barkada ko, roughly P10,000+ na nagagastos nya aside from MJ's face tattoo, for those MJ items collection, halos sambahin na nya.

Correct na naman.

Sa basketball Karamihan ng Lumilipad na ha-hype. Kung si jordan hindi mataas tumalon hindi yan mahahype kahit magchampion pa ng six times. Tapos magaling pa marketing ng nike. ipasok ba naman sa sapatos yung air. tapos mataas tumalon yung player. match na match.

Akala tuloy nung mga bata pag sinuot nila yun "Be like Mike" na sila. Hindi kayo lilipat jan. cushioning lang.

Mahirap nga naman ma-hype yung game nila Bird, Stockton, Magic....etc. Si Kirilenko nga na ok ang fundamentals hindi nga ma-hype eh. Hanapin nyo nga ng endorsement na malupit si Kirilenko

Ksi gusto ng tao eye candy. Dito sa pinas panuodin mo ang karamihan bata ng basketball. Pag may nakita mataas na tumalon na player idol na nya yun. Pero pag si stockton ang panuodin ng bata ililipat na lang sa cartoon network.

Sa akin jordan great player pero NOT the greatest.

Ang greatest sa akin yung hindi mataas tumalon, hindi rin mabilis tumakbo. hindi physically gifted. pero malupit maglaro. San ka ba nakakita na hindi physically gifted pero kahit bantayan sya ng mga physically gifted natatalo nya. yan ang greatest.

Correct na naman.

Sa basketball Karamihan ng Lumilipad na ha-hype. Kung si jordan hindi mataas tumalon hindi yan mahahype kahit magchampion pa ng six times. Tapos magaling pa marketing ng nike. ipasok ba naman sa sapatos yung air. tapos mataas tumalon yung player. match na match.

Akala tuloy nung mga bata pag sinuot nila yun "Be like Mike" na sila. Hindi kayo lilipat jan. cushioning lang.

Mahirap nga naman ma-hype yung game nila Bird, Stockton, Magic....etc.  Si Kirilenko nga na ok ang fundamentals hindi nga ma-hype eh. Hanapin nyo nga ng endorsement na malupit si Kirilenko

Ksi gusto ng tao eye candy. Dito sa pinas panuodin mo ang karamihan bata ng basketball. Pag may nakita mataas na tumalon na player idol na nya yun. Pero pag si stockton ang panuodin ng bata ililipat na lang sa cartoon network.

Sa akin jordan great player pero NOT the greatest.

Ang greatest sa akin yung hindi mataas tumalon, hindi rin mabilis tumakbo. hindi physically gifted. pero malupit maglaro. San ka ba nakakita na hindi physically gifted pero kahit bantayan sya ng mga physically gifted natatalo nya. yan ang greatest.

Kanya kanyang opinion yan but most would agree that he is the greatest player ever period.

Totoo karamihan mag-aagree sya ang greatest player. lalo na sa mga 20 years old and below.

I guess.. your judging again.. You're definitely not correct with your statement.. Ho-hum! Eto na naman tayo..

Jordan (as I have said) is the most known basketball player in the world.. that is common knowledge.. so kahit sa anong age bracket.. kapag sinabi mong basketball.. MJ kaagad ang nasa isip.. kaya kapag tinanong mo sila kung sino ang the best BB player in the whole world.. they would say Jordan.. Sorry.. but that is reality..

Totoo karamihan mag-aagree sya ang greatest player. lalo na sa mga 20 years old and below.

I guess.. your judging again.. You're definitely not correct with your statement.. Ho-hum! Eto na naman tayo..

Jordan (as I have said) is the most known basketball player in the world.. that is common knowledge.. so kahit sa anong age bracket.. kapag sinabi mong basketball.. MJ kaagad ang nasa isip.. kaya kapag tinanong mo sila kung sino ang the best BB player in the whole world.. they would say Jordan.. Sorry.. but that is reality..

hahaha...yeah...and not Larry Bird! Yeah,mostly the ones who witnessed Jordan's era would most likely agree that he is indeed the greatest NBA player ever.

i dont deny there are many great players like bill russel, wilt chamberlain, oscar robertson, kareem abdul-jabbar, dr j, larry bird, magic johnson, isaiah thomas to name a few. that'w why the league recognized them as members of the 50 greatest players of all time.

but amongst all of them, there has to be the greatest. the no. 1. if you would rank the 50 players, who would be your no. 1. i'd take jordan as the no.1, bill russell as no. 2, magic johnson no. 3, larry bird no. 4 and the rest of them.

i looked beyond stats and numbers. i looked at the players on how they played the game in their best situations and most importantly in their worst situations. i put more emphasis in the playoffs and finals rather than regular season.

here are some of the noteworthy performances by jordan. some the dates may not be accurate as these are from memory and not from nba.com or other websites. however the situations are pretty accurate. i would not mind somebody correcting me.

1. jordan as a sophomore in unc made the winning shot in the corner to win an ncaa title.

2. in his sophomore year in the nba, jordan was sidelined by injury for almost half of the regular season. some was writing him off and many doubted his comeback. somehow, the bulls managed to get into the playoffs but faced the mighty boston celtics led by larry bird. game 2 at the boston garden. against a very hostile crowd, jordan showcased his individual basketball and athletic abilities. he scored almost at will. driving to the hoop passing 3 defenders hanging in the air before making his shot. boston tried different defense strategies but to no avail. jordan cooly sank two free throws that sent the game into overtime. at the end of the game, jordan made 63 points. larry bird said "that was god, disguised as michael jordan." as expected, the celtics being a better team that time swept the bulls in their series.

3. no particular game but in the years leading to their championship years, the bulls had to get past the bad boys of detroit. for at least two years, jordan had to endure the physical beating he got from the bad boyos of detroit. half the time he drove to the basket, he ended up on the floor. but his competetive spirit and his basketball and leadership skills overcame the physically tough plays of the bad boys. in a given season, jordan had to face the pistons 6 times in the regular season and minimum of 4 games in playoffs.

4. '91 finals against magic and the lakers. the bulls were highly favored to win their first title. in game 1 at the bulls home court, magic as usual, led the lakers and made the assist to sam perkins that hit the final shot at the corner that won the lakers the game. a lot of people, doubted jordan's ability to play in the finals. game 2, sometime in the game, jordan drove to the hoop, took off and was planning to dunk the ball. while in the air, he decided to just do a finger roll. the shot was so beautiful that it inspired the whole team and the crowd. that changed the tempo of the game and put the momentum on the side of the bulls. jordan led the bulls to win the next four games thus winning his first nba title.

5. '93 finals against the suns. after losing game 3 in a triple overtime in chicago. jordan took command of the game. he made that running jumper that won them the game and gave the bulls a commanding 3-1 lead against the suns. the bulls, led by jordan, went on and won their 3rd title.

6. after coming from more than 1 and half years of retirement, jordan helped the bulls to reach the eastern conference finals. however, he made a crucial error that lost them the series to orlando magic. in the next season, jordan led the bulls to an nba best 72-10 record.

7. game 5 '97 finals. the best performance of an athlete i've seen so far. this to me is the defining moment for jordan as an athlete. before the game, series is tied 2-2. game 5 is in delta center which has proven to be the noisiest crowd. suffering from stomach flu, throughout the game, jordan looked weak and dehyrdated. he had to literally be carried by his teammates during timeouts. against all physicall odds, jordan did his thing, led his team, and made the crucial 3 pt shot that won them the game. i've never seen such pure desire and determination to do what it takes to win. as a result of winning this game, the bulls went up 3-2 and put the series back to chicago for game 6. in the last time out of game 6, jordan said to kerr that the jazz will be after him and told kerr to be ready to take the shot. in the ensuing play, the jazz really went to jordan. jordan passed the ball to kerr and kerr made the winning shot of the game and of the series giving the bulls their 5th title.

8. '98 finals. game 6 in delta center, jordan made that jumper on top of the key to win the game and the series giving the bulls and him their 6th title.

jordan during his prime has proven to be unstoppable especially in post season. i'm not sure what the numbers are but i'm sure his stats in the playoffs and finals are better compared to regular season. this shows you his ability to step up the level of his game when its time to win. his leadership skills were most evident during his last 3 years with the bulls. he showed he can control the antics of dennis rodman who at that time was the most hated player by the coaches and managers. he did not allow rodman's ridiculously childish antics affect how the team played.

i'm sure there will be somebody who will break jordan's stats. but until i see a player that shows more heart and more competetive spirit against all odds, i'd still put jordan as the greatest.

Lahat nga nagsasabi si jordan. Sinabi ko lang karamihan mga 20 years old below kasi dun karamihan gusto sya.

Tanungin mo 11 years old sino greatest player. Kahit hindi nya naabutan si jordan yan pipiliin nya.

Pero kung ang tao tinanong mo na si Larry Bird ang greatest player nila sigurado alam nya sinasabi nya.

Madali gustuhin si jordan. Si Bird kailangan maintindihan nung gugusto.

Guest jason_kidd

CORRECT! JORDAN RISES ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE.. PERIOD! :thumbsupsmiley:

Lahat nga nagsasabi si jordan. Sinabi ko lang karamihan mga 20 years old below kasi dun karamihan gusto sya.

Tanungin mo 11 years old sino greatest player. Kahit hindi nya naabutan si jordan yan pipiliin nya.

Pero kung ang tao tinanong mo na si Larry Bird ang greatest player nila sigurado alam nya sinasabi nya.

Madali gustuhin si jordan. Si Bird kailangan maintindihan nung gugusto.

nandyan ka na naman?!!! :P may ebidensya ba yan? papaano mo nasabi na tama yan? lumalabas sa statement mo na people idolize michael jordan even if they don't know who the real michael jordan is.mali naman 'ata yan. brod' people in this thread idolize michael jordan for whatever reason only they knew,don't take it away from them.di naman siguro sila 'engot para humanga sa isang michael jordan kung walang basehan di ba? by the way.....still waiting for your larry bird thread.

nandyan ka na naman?!!! :P  may ebidensya ba yan? papaano mo nasabi na tama yan? lumalabas sa statement mo na people idolize michael jordan even if they don't know who the real michael jordan is.mali naman 'ata yan. brod' people in this thread idolize michael jordan for whatever reason only they knew,don't take it away from them.di naman siguro sila 'engot para humanga sa isang michael jordan kung walang basehan di ba? by the way.....still waiting for your larry bird thread.

Oy ha, Wla ako sinabi engot.

Ang point ko ang mga bata hindi pa nila ganun naiintindihan ang basketball. Marami may gusto kay jordan dahil magaling mag-fade away, marami din dahil sa graceful mag dunk.

Parang damit yan. Mga bata pag sikat ang tatak gusto nila kahit hindi pa nila naiintindihan na commercial lng nagpasikat jan.

Di ba may anak ka, dumating din yung time na nagpabili sayo yan na mahal na gamit pero the same din lng quality sa mura na gamit. ang pinagkaiba lng mas sikat yung mahal.

Uulitin ko Greatest si jordan sa karamihan ng mga tao. Especially sa mga bata. Sisikat ba si jordan kung hindi dahil sa mga bata? bebenta ba nike hindi dahil sa bata?

Maganda yung example nung isang poster. Ang laki ng part nung media. kung 90% nung palabas sa tv puro jordan eh tlga dali bolahin ng mga bata.

Anak: Daddy bili mo ako air jordan five

Dad: Anak mag adidas ka na lng matibay din yan.

Anak: eh dad wlang jordan dun eh.

Dad: Anak Sikat lng yan.

Anak: eh basta gusto ko jordan(iiyak na)

Dad: oh sige na bili na kita

"Wanna Be Like Mike" ahahahahhaha

Guest jason_kidd
Oy ha, Wla ako sinabi engot.

Ang point ko ang mga bata hindi pa nila ganun naiintindihan ang basketball. Marami may gusto kay jordan dahil magaling mag-fade away, marami din dahil sa graceful mag dunk.

Parang damit yan. Mga bata pag sikat ang tatak gusto nila kahit hindi pa nila naiintindihan na commercial lng nagpasikat jan.

Di ba may anak ka, dumating din yung time na nagpabili sayo yan na mahal na gamit pero the same din lng quality sa mura na gamit. ang pinagkaiba lng mas sikat yung mahal.

Uulitin ko Greatest si jordan sa karamihan ng mga tao. Especially sa mga bata. Sisikat ba si jordan kung hindi dahil sa mga bata? bebenta ba nike hindi dahil sa bata?

Maganda yung example nung  isang poster. Ang laki ng part nung media. kung 90% nung palabas sa tv puro jordan eh tlga dali bolahin ng mga bata.

Anak: Daddy bili mo ako air jordan five

Dad: Anak mag adidas ka na lng matibay din yan.

Anak: eh dad wlang jordan dun eh.

Dad: Anak Sikat lng yan.

Anak: eh basta gusto ko jordan(iiyak na)

Dad: oh sige na bili na kita

"Wanna Be Like Mike" ahahahahhaha

OT na dude.. may kwento pang kasama.. ano yun? bonus?? back to regular programming...

Mike is great, but the greatest of all time, no way Wilt Chamberlain holds more records than Mike. B)

kanya kanyang opinion yan pare pero para sa akin sya ang pinakamagaling. records are meant to be broken. wilt has 1 championship while mike has 6 championships. they played in different eras.

i dont deny there are many great players like bill russel, wilt chamberlain, oscar robertson, kareem abdul-jabbar, dr j, larry bird, magic johnson, isaiah thomas to name a few. that'w why the league recognized them as members of the 50 greatest players of all time.

but amongst all of them, there has to be the greatest. the no. 1. if you would rank the 50 players, who would be your no. 1. i'd take jordan as the no.1,  bill russell as no. 2, magic johnson no. 3, larry bird no. 4 and the rest of them.

i looked beyond stats and numbers.  i looked at the players on how they played the game in their best situations and most importantly in their worst situations. i put more emphasis in the playoffs and finals rather than regular season.

here are some of the noteworthy performances by jordan. some the dates may not be accurate as these are from memory and not from nba.com or other websites. however the situations are pretty accurate. i would not mind somebody correcting me.

1.  jordan as a sophomore in unc made the winning shot in the corner to win an ncaa title.

2.  in his sophomore year in the nba, jordan was sidelined by injury for almost half of the regular season. some was writing him off and many doubted his comeback.  somehow, the bulls managed to get into the playoffs but faced the mighty boston celtics led by larry bird. game 2 at the boston garden. against a very hostile crowd, jordan showcased his individual basketball and athletic abilities. he scored almost at will. driving to the hoop passing 3 defenders hanging in the air before making his shot.  boston tried different defense strategies but to no avail. jordan cooly sank two free throws that sent the game into overtime.  at the end of the game, jordan made 63 points. larry bird said "that was god, disguised as michael jordan." as expected, the celtics being a better team that time swept the bulls in their series.

3.  no particular game but in the years leading to their championship years, the bulls had to get past the bad boys of detroit.  for at least two years, jordan had to endure the physical beating he got from the bad boyos of detroit.  half the time he drove to the basket, he ended up on the floor.  but his competetive spirit and his basketball and leadership skills overcame the physically tough plays of the bad boys.  in a given season, jordan had to face the pistons 6 times in the regular season and minimum of 4 games in playoffs.

4.  '91 finals against magic and the lakers. the bulls were highly favored to win their first title.  in game 1 at the bulls home court, magic as usual, led the lakers and made the assist to sam perkins that hit the final shot at the corner that won the lakers the game.  a lot of people, doubted jordan's ability to play in the finals. game 2, sometime in the game, jordan drove to the hoop, took off and was planning to dunk the ball. while in the air, he decided to just do a finger roll.  the shot was so beautiful that it inspired the whole team and the crowd.  that changed the tempo of the game and put the momentum on the side of the bulls.  jordan led the bulls to win the next four games thus winning his first nba title.

5.  '93 finals against the suns. after losing game 3 in a triple overtime in chicago. jordan took command of the game.  he made that running jumper that won them the game and gave the bulls a commanding 3-1 lead against the suns.  the bulls, led by jordan, went on and won their 3rd title.

6.  after coming from more than 1 and half years of retirement, jordan helped the bulls to reach the eastern conference finals.  however, he made a crucial error that lost them the series to orlando magic.  in the next season, jordan led the bulls to an nba best 72-10 record.

7.  game 5 '97 finals. the best performance of an athlete i've seen so far.  this to me is the defining moment for jordan as an athlete.  before the game, series is tied 2-2. game 5 is in delta center which has proven to be the noisiest crowd. suffering from stomach flu, throughout the game, jordan looked weak and dehyrdated.  he had to literally be carried by his teammates during timeouts.  against all physicall odds, jordan did his thing, led his team, and made the crucial 3 pt shot that won them the game. i've never seen such pure desire and determination to do what it takes to win.  as a result of winning this game, the bulls went up 3-2 and put the series back to chicago for game 6.  in the last time out of game 6, jordan said to kerr that the jazz will be after him and told kerr to be ready to take the shot.  in the ensuing play, the jazz really went to jordan.  jordan passed the ball to kerr and kerr made the winning shot of the game and of the series giving the bulls their 5th title.

8.  '98 finals.  game 6 in delta center, jordan made that jumper on top of the key to win the game and the series giving the bulls and him their 6th title.

jordan during his prime has proven to be unstoppable especially in post season. i'm not sure what the numbers are but i'm sure his stats in the playoffs and finals are better compared to regular season.  this shows you his ability to step up the level of his game when its time to win. his leadership skills were most evident during his last 3 years with the bulls.  he showed he can control the antics of dennis rodman who at that time was the most hated player by the coaches and managers.  he did not allow rodman's ridiculously childish antics affect how the team played.

i'm sure there will be somebody who will break jordan's stats.  but until i see a player that shows more heart and more competetive spirit against all odds, i'd still put jordan as the greatest.

this is the reason i always look for every tidyaxx's post, mapa political thread man o sports, punong puno ng substance, galing.. :thumbsupsmiley: thanx brod...

yeah, and that's what u call the drama, not just plain basketball showtime. he plays the game like its a scripted movie na sya ang bida. That's what people really drools to watch; that courageous games despite all the odds. although for me, the greatest basketball game that shows grit and supreme determination is the one shown by the New York Knicks of 1999, ung 8th seeded playoff team na puro injury pero himalang nakapasok pa sa finals, at bawat panalo nila punong puno ng drama.

Mike is great, but the greatest of all time, no way Wilt Chamberlain holds more records than Mike. B)

hahahaha...records back there weren't as hard to make as today. Wilt played in the 60's where there were no players who stood taller than him. Bill Russell was the only one who could contain him and he's at 6'9". Wilt's 7'0"....Unfair? Yes. Dominated? Yes,coz no one could play D against him.

How bout MJ? MJ played in the late 80's to the 90's (i won't include Wizards era..haha).

Jordan's 6'6". Not as tall as Wilt and took more shots from the perimeter rather than just scoop it in the hoop. Tougher?YEs! Tighter defense?YES! YES! YES!

Need I say more? geez...not to take away anything from Wilt but IMO, if you put him in today's era, he wouldn't even be able to score 40. YES,not even 40!

this is the reason i always look for every tidyaxx's post, mapa political thread man o sports, punong puno ng substance, galing.. :thumbsupsmiley: thanx brod...

yeah, and that's what u call the drama, not just plain basketball showtime.  he plays the game like its a scripted movie na sya ang bida.  That's what people really drools to watch; that courageous games despite all the odds.  although for me, the greatest basketball game that shows grit and supreme determination is the one shown by the New York Knicks of 1999, ung 8th seeded playoff team na puro injury pero himalang nakapasok pa sa finals, at bawat panalo nila punong puno ng drama.

the 99 nicks has heart. kahit maliit ang starting line up nila at nawala pa si ewing they gave their best. i rooted for this team way back then. Go NY Go.

yeah, and that's what u call the drama, not just plain basketball showtime.  he plays the game like its a scripted movie na sya ang bida.  That's what people really drools to watch; that courageous games despite all the odds.  although for me, the greatest basketball game that shows grit and supreme determination is the one shown by the New York Knicks of 1999, ung 8th seeded playoff team na puro injury pero himalang nakapasok pa sa finals, at bawat panalo nila punong puno ng drama.

thanks for the compliment bro.

yes, that knicks team really showed heart.