Rugby in the Philippines

Headroom

In 2006 I started a thread on this site regarding rugby in the Philippines. That was the year that the Philippine Volcanoes actually started playing International matches. Unfortunately there wasn't much interest and the thread was shut down. Now that that the Volcanoes have won their way through to the Premier Division of Rugby (an amazing feat to achieve in a mere 6 years making them the most successful team next to Japan in Asia) and have moved their ranking from the mid-80's to 55th in the World, are currently the most winning sports team the Philippines has produced and are getting exposure through billboards, tv, newspaper and magazine features I was wondering if there is more interest in the sport amongst members here??

Aside from the rise of the Volcanoes there is now a full contact Women's National Team that won Division B in the Asian Women's 7's competition.

The PRFU (www.prfu.com) has also done a good job of promoting the sport amongst young Filipinos and there was a division in the Bostik 10's competition comprised of 4 teams that was almost 100% Filipino - this included players who had 1 foreign parent but who live in the Philippines.

The more established teams have also been doing work with Orphanages teaching them the game and a number of the children have moved through a program that has seem them work for the PRFU to coach other youngsters in the sport.

So I thought I'd try and start this thread again to see if there is interest or if anyone has questions. If so please post them and I will do my best to answer them.

Well, go to the provinces. Are the Igorots, Mangyans, Manobos, Tbolis and even provincial public school students willing to learn Rugby? Are you willing to spend thousands of days to train them?

Obviously having any sort of successful programme in remote areas will be difficult and is a long way off - I would surmise that it's not only rugby but any other sport trying to compete with basketball that will have issues.

The initial targets are obviously heavily populated areas - Manila and its environs, Cebu and Mindanao as starting points.

Looking at these areas:

In Manila and Cebu there are now enough teams to have a 3 level Men's competition in 10's, 7's and 15's rugby with 10 teams in total competing. There are also Ladies teams in Manila and Cebu - there was recently had an inter-city match where the best Ladies from each city played against each other.

There has recently been a Visayas and Mindanao Rugby Committee put together to promote the game more in Mindanao. Rugby already has a quite large following in Cebu and free weekly training sessions are open to anyone wanting to attend.

In Manila there is a free weekly training session called Rugby 101 that is open to any Filipino wanting to attend.

There is an Angeles City Rugby Club being established to play in the developing Youth League that is currently comprised solely of kids from Orphanages and schools around the city.

In Bulacan a Barangay Chairman is sponsoring training events for kids.

In many instances most of the initial work done to set these things up was done by volunteers. Recently the PRFU has been appointing more Rugby development officers, the majority of whom are young Filipinos who have learned the game through teams set up by the volunteers. These kids have not only learned the game, made friends with and learned how to interact with expats but have also gained employment out of it. They are the ones travelling around to the schools and sponsored trainings teaching other Filipino kids about the game.

As with all things it will take time to develop and nurture a love and understanding of the game, but compared to where rugby was in the Philippines even 6 years ago with the first Volcanoes team, the amount of progress in the last few years has been enormous. To answer your question though in terms of the time that the volunteers put in - yes there probably will be thousands of hours required but there are lots of people who already are putting in the time.

Hats off to the Volcanoes for representing and WINNING. However, the sport just doesn't appeal to me. I can't find an explanation, I just don't find it interesting. I guess people are more interested in sports that they're they're able to play at their own backyard, which is why Pinoys are darn fanatics when it comes to basketball and billiards. Sports that people don't have to exert too much time, money, and effort to play and enjoy.

Hats off to the Volcanoes for representing and WINNING. However, the sport just doesn't appeal to me. I can't find an explanation, I just don't find it interesting. I guess people are more interested in sports that they're they're able to play at their own backyard, which is why Pinoys are darn fanatics when it comes to basketball and billiards. Sports that people don't have to exert too much time, money, and effort to play and enjoy.

In actual fact you can play rugby with less equipment than either basketball or billiards - you only need a ball and some space, it doesn't even need to be grass if you play the touch variety as opposed to the tackle version of the sport. Touch doesn't have all the physical contact of tackle but is a great way to learn the basics of the sport.

Edited by Headroom

In actual fact you can play rugby with less equipment than either basketball or billiards - you only need a ball and some space, it doesn't even need to be grass if you play the touch variety as opposed to the tackle version of the sport. Touch doesn't have all the physical contact of tackle but is a great way to learn the basics of the sport.

Let's hope that it will become popular soon enough

Bench and Globe are onboard as sponsors now and there is a Bench billboard at the Edsa / Southsuper overpass featuring a number of the players. Exposure of that sort should raise the profile.

The game that they played against Sri Lanka was live on television throughout the Philippines and was also live around the world on cable - the game was seen in Australia, New Zealand, throughout Asia, the UK and America.

Bench and Globe are onboard as sponsors now and there is a Bench billboard at the Edsa / Southsuper overpass featuring a number of the players. Exposure of that sort should raise the profile.

The game that they played against Sri Lanka was live on television throughout the Philippines and was also live around the world on cable - the game was seen in Australia, New Zealand, throughout Asia, the UK and America.

Thanks to these companies then. Hope they'll support our team further.

• Like (+1) 1