Basketball brawls

^Bad old days po. :lol:

pi-no. :lol:

hirap mag kuwento dito at baka mag-po din si howard sa akin.

narining ko nga sa lolo ko yung pangbubugbog nila jawo at reynoso sa mga referee nung panahon pa ng micaa. the worse brawl daw accdg. to him. unfortunately, i couldn't vouch for him at hindi pa ako tao nun. promise. :rolleyes:

Hi bro, another senior citizen here too :-)

I think you must have remembered the brawl between Shin Dong Pa and our own Tembong Melencio during the '73 ABC finals? I've been trying to look for it sa youtube pero di ko makita.

Now, those were the good old day!!!

I think its all because of the tight guarding of Tembong na may siko, patid, at sahod kay Shin. Nag iinit na yung coach ng Korea nuon when he sent in his man-to-man defense against our national team. By the way, the championship was held here sa Rizal Coliseum then Biglang sinuntok ni Shin at siniko si Tembong. Tembong, being a hooded Tondo boy then (walang pumapalag dito nuon!-not even Big J), ayun, nagkagulo, awatan pero not a major rumble. Cooler head prevailed. That was the last ABC Championship tasted by the Philippines. Oo nga pala, patay na si Tembong, namatay sa beerhouse nuong umaawat sa away, nasaksak sa dibdib. Very colorful player and, after 30+ years, I met his son, player ng defunct MBA kaya lang hindi nagtagal, nawasak ang tuhod kaagad. He is now a councilor sa Guagua, Pampanga.

Dito ginawa yung tournament kaya ang saya saya ng Pasko dito sa Pinas nuon. Imagine, basketball champion sa Asia! And on to the Olympics! ........................and that proved to be the last........... :(

Jaworski was the lead guard of that team alongside Francis Arnaiz, Ramon "Tito" (later called "Mon") Fernandez, Reynoso and William "Bogs" Adornado. Other players in that team included Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio, David "Dave" Regullano, Rosalio "Yoyong" Martirez, Manuel "Manny" Paner, Alberto "Abet" Guidaben, Jaime "Jimmy" Mariano and Ricardo "Joy" Cleofas.

It was also around this time when the nickname "Big J" was given to him, resembling the "Big O" tag given to Oscar Robertson who Jaworski played like.

Champion - Philippines100

2nd Korea91

3rd Taiwan73

4th Japan64

5th Iran46

6th India37

7th Thailand64

8th Indonesia64

9th Malaysia37

10th Singapore37

11th Hong Kong28

12th Pakistan19

P.S. No problem with "po". Am really that old :lol:

Edited by photographer

pi-no. :lol:

hirap mag kuwento dito at baka mag-po din si howard sa akin.

narining ko nga sa lolo ko yung pangbubugbog nila jawo at reynoso sa mga referee nung panahon pa ng micaa. the worse brawl daw accdg. to him. unfortunately, i couldn't vouch for him at hindi pa ako tao nun. promise. :rolleyes:

Yes, Kanski, its the worst brawl na na witness ko. Dont know na yung 50s and 40s :lol: Imagine pati referee ginulpi at duguan. Unlike yung mga brawls na iba, players lang, kung minsan kasama team officials. Dito lahat lahat and including the spectators sa bleachers, sa upper box hanggang labas ng coliseum, naghabulan, may mga nabasag na windshield. Its such a nightmare. At may pusa pang kasama sa court. Mga basag na bote. Ganyan ka "passionate" nuon ang basketball. May pride kasi para sa bansa.

Guest hastati

The one I remember most was Dr. J and Larry Legend going at it. Larry was throttling Dr. J's neck. Another one is not really a basketbrawl but a shouting match which could have turned into a basketbrawl if not for the intervention of cooler heads: Kareem and Larry going at it in game 4 of the 1984 NBA Finals.

Bad boy din pala itong si Bird on and off the court

Did Larry Bird’s Bar Fight Cost Celtics ‘85 Finals?

Posted by Matt Sussman on Jun. 09, 2008, 3:30pmThe Celtics tried their darnedest to blow Game 2 of the NBA Finals, but maybe they needed their superstar to pound some random Bostonian bar owner into the ground, like Larry Bird did during the 1985 NBA Finals.

[/url]

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/a/0/a0d7cceb10debaf2104c2941f5e8eb89_birdpunchout.jpg

It only took 23 years for BASKETBAWFUL to uncover this tale of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, in which Bird’s victorious fight resulted in a finger injury.

In 1985, a man named Mike Harlow was beaten up by the Hick from French Lick on the off night between Games 2 and 3 after Harlow allegedly smacked around Bird’s friend Nick Harris for supposedly flirting with Harlow’s girlfriend. There are a ton of qualifiers in this story. Coupled with the fact that it’s been 23 years since the reported brawl. Which led to this assertion:

Was that fight really the reason the Celtics lost to the Lakers in six? Let’s go to the “table,” which is more like a three-legged Ottoman around here, to find out:

Bird’s Regular Season

Bird: 26.1 points/game, 9.6 rebounds/game, 6.0 assists/game

Before The Beatdown (Celtics: 1 win, 1 loss)

Bird: 24.0 points/game, 9.5 rebounds/game, 6.0 assists/game

After The Beatdown (Celtics: 1 win, 3 losses)

Bird: 23.5 points/game, 8.75 rebounds/game, 4.5 assists/game

Well, after the un-Glass Joe-like smackdown, down went the numbers too. Slightly. Yep, totally his fault.

"....That was the last ABC Championship tasted by the Philippines....

Dito ginawa yung tournament kaya ang saya saya ng Pasko dito sa Pinas nuon. Imagine, basketball champion sa Asia! And on to the Olympics! ........................and that proved to be the last..........."

Not exactly, we would still win one more ABC- in '86 where we had naturalized players in Dennis Still and Jeff Moore. (That will have to be the subject of a new thread I guess)

I suddenly remember SEA'81 championship between the Philippines and Malaysia. Nagkaron din ng sapakan, with our bad boys Itoy Esguerra, JB Yango, and Ricky Relosa roughing up and brawling the Malaysians.

There's some parallels between the ABC'73 and SEA'81 brawls. Unang una was that it was held here in Manila with the Rizal Colosseum as the venue. Magpapasko din nun, with our country trying to regain the respective crowns...

"....That was the last ABC Championship tasted by the Philippines....

Dito ginawa yung tournament kaya ang saya saya ng Pasko dito sa Pinas nuon. Imagine, basketball champion sa Asia! And on to the Olympics! ........................and that proved to be the last..........."

Not exactly, we would still win one more ABC- in '86 where we had naturalized players in Dennis Still and Jeff Moore. (That will have to be the subject of a new thread I guess)

I suddenly remember SEA'81 championship between the Philippines and Malaysia. Nagkaron din ng sapakan, with our bad boys Itoy Esguerra, JB Yango, and Ricky Relosa roughing up and brawling the Malaysians.

There's some parallels between the ABC'73 and SEA'81 brawls. Unang una was that it was held here in Manila with the Rizal Colosseum as the venue. Magpapasko din nun, with our country trying to regain the respective crowns...

\

Yes, pero I dont really recognize a champion kapag may ibang lahi sa team. I mean, look what happened now, after the "Filipinization" of Still and Moore including Brown, nasaan na sila ngayon? Saludo at kumakanta ng Star Spangled Banner and renouncing their "given" Filipino citizenship. Like what sa PBA now, after so many years of playing and staying (well, during the tournament proper) sa Pinas, some for more than a decade, ni hindi pa rin marunong mag tagalog. Siguro patriotism still in my blood like during the reign of Martirez, Sullano, Cleofas, Jaworski and Webb (although foreign sounding names, eh, pinoy na pinoy (mas lalo sa pagmumura!) hahaha

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The brawls that I can vividly remember are...

James yap runnning like a 70 mph cheetah after kicking an import of talk n text...

Jerwin Gaco of DLSU retaliating after getting suckerpunch by La Tenorio in the mid section of a UAAP game

Danny Seigle and Richard Yee going at it at an out of town game between SMB and Purefoods

Detroit and Indiana Pacers game goes out of hand...

Joseph Yeo and Enrico Villanueva going at it in a DLSU ADMU exhibition game

Jondan Salvador and Carlos Sharma going at it and Sharma getting knocked out...

Danny Ildefonso knocks out Tee Mclary of coke...

Edited by aj2141987

does anyone remember this? its a game between philippines and usa here in manila that turns into a rumble. it started with benjie paras but in the rumble it was patrimonio who even wrestled a player to the ground. the audience was also involved eventually.

against Swift-USA yon. composed of unknown div. 2 or div. 3 college players in the us.