If Aliens Are Out There, Why Haven't They Contacted Us?

I think people will still attempt to do it even if it means not getting there before millions of years pass on earth. We don't even need wormholes. Sleeper and generation ships have been suggested in the previous century. And if we do find ETIs, we could even us William Gibson's idea of transmitting people there (Gibson suggested joint interstellar virtual reality interface with whatever the extraterrestrials used as an internet).

Anyway, great post. The best I've read here since, well, ever :D

sleeper and generation ships while plausible is such an inefficient way of doing things.

That means you'd have to deal with relativity, you'd be travelling linearly and have to deal with ageing. Even if you were put in some kind of cryo sleep, the time you spend aboard the ship versus earth time, the gaps would be staggering, you could leave now, get to alpha centauri in say 100 years, gather data, make the trip back in another 100 years, and be surprised that the earth has been wiped out by a global catastrophe. There's also communication back to earth to worry about. I maybe explaining it vaguely but you can read The Forever War (excellent book!) you'd know what I mean.

it's just so cumbersome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If they really do exist and if they are aware we exist, I guess, the reasons why they haven't contacted with us would be:

1. They respect the balance of the universe. They are aware and they respect the right of other living organisms.

2. They might be afraid that we, inferior species if compared to them, will make a foolish attempt to "study" them instead.

3. They have bigger priorities to mind instead of wastiing their time in our planet that will soon die and our life span that obviously shortens over time.

The Zoo Hypothesis got me thinking. What if our current level of intelligence is not enough to fully comprehend what is really happening around us. What if advance beings are already among us and we just can't process this in our current level of evolution. Because we observe and perceived our surroundings as humans, we are somewhat limited in terms of senses, rational, culture, etc. If this is the case, then we can compare ourselves to the stray cats. They go about doing their daily routine while being oblivious towards humans.

• 2 months later...

Here are the possibilities

1. Take into consideration the invisible lights, Infra red, ultra violet. They exist but we do not have the means to detect them without the use of special instruments. Visible light is only a small part of the spectrum, we only hear a small band of sound...our senses are limited

2. Wildlife conservationist mentality. If a higher being wants to preserve a lower being, he will contain it and observe.the same as an ant farm, safari, etc....the chose not to be detected

3. "I have not yet heard from you yet" theory. Our signs of advance technology (the radio waves, radiation from nuclear bombs, will reach the nearest star (alpha centauri yata) after 50 years from being sent from earth. If an alien is lucky enough to be in alpha centauri during that time, it will take its reply 50 more years for it to come to earth....noone has heard from us yet

4. they are here and they are preparing for the culling and teraforming. Ask Area 51 buffs and the majestic 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm leaning towards a combination of 1. The Zoo Hypothesis and 8. We Can’t Read the Signs. Imagine an ant. We usually just let them be, because theyre just not too significant to have an impact or pose a threat to us. I wouldn't believe we're under observation, just ignored because we really can't comprehend each other. As far as I know, I don't know what goes through an ant's head and I like to think it certainly has no idea what goes around my head. Kind of mutual ignorance kumbaga.

For 11. The Phase Transition Hypothesis, Instead of 'naturally occurring disasters' such as the explosions mentioned, I think it would be more of an implosion. Civilizations (human/alien) caving in on itself due to its structure. Before one reaches interstellar navigation, there's a very high chance that its social system or lifestyle crumbles, bringing about doomsday on its own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There might be aliens. I few years from and NASA will probably discover a planet habitable by living things not known to us.

But until such time, the only clear at this moment is, there is no alien - either here on earth and/or on those extroplanets that NASA are continuously discovering. UFO's sightings are just either hoaxed, or for the benefit of the believers, are probably being hidden to public for some sort of national or international security. But again, until such time that majority of human beings on earth can attest on its existence, aliens and UFO's are still debatable theories...

Edited by joshua_sx1
  • 4 weeks later...