Scuba Diving And/or Snorkelling

goldgreen

On 1/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, MRROUGHSEX said:

That is cool.  Hope it happens for you so you can share pics.  

The difference between Tubattaha and Apo Reef is location. Apo Reef is in Mindoro, which is closer to Manila than Sulu Sea 0which sits on the far south tip of Palawan. It is much more shallow making it friendly to regular, non technical Scuba stuff.  The coral life is like Anilao but maybe 10x larger. Thus it is very colorful.  The size difference is difficult to catch in videos but sometimes you get to see a school of adult Napoleon Wrasse, the size of a small car feeding on bottom corals. I do not think they are carnivores like the Lapu Lapu or Grouper.   The place is shallow and ships or small vessels find the area dangerous. Many wrecks in the place.  But remember that your boat could be next so watch out!  Perhaps the season or window time for a safe visit is very limited because it can really threaten boats and even swimmers who can get caught in sharp edged corals that may even surface during very low tidal days.

11 hours ago, ramennagi said:

What’s your most recommended dive sites here in the country?

It is cheaper to dive at Anilao because you don't need to rent a boat to reach the corals - they are near the shore.  This also nearest Manila.  

Mactan is better near Mactan airport, if you rent a boat, you will see better dive site.  

El Nido, in Palawan is probably the best in the Philippines and the world.  Don't miss this.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:47 AM, jacuzzi said:

The difference between Tubattaha and Apo Reef is location. Apo Reef is in Mindoro, which is closer to Manila than Sulu Sea 0which sits on the far south tip of Palawan. It is much more shallow making it friendly to regular, non technical Scuba stuff.  The coral life is like Anilao but maybe 10x larger. Thus it is very colorful.  The size difference is difficult to catch in videos but sometimes you get to see a school of adult Napoleon Wrasse, the size of a small car feeding on bottom corals. I do not think they are carnivores like the Lapu Lapu or Grouper.   The place is shallow and ships or small vessels find the area dangerous. Many wrecks in the place.  But remember that your boat could be next so watch out!  Perhaps the season or window time for a safe visit is very limited because it can really threaten boats and even swimmers who can get caught in sharp edged corals that may even surface during very low tidal days.

Apo Reef is in Mindoro. But the world-class Apo Island Diving paradise is in our place in Negros. When I was in grade school we used to have a beach house there. Then when my entire family decided to relocate to New York, the area was converted into a fish sanctuary maintained by Silliman University Marine Science Laboratory. I visited the place in 2019 and most of the resorts there are maintained by expats (Australians, French, Belgians, etc). They have divers arriving every day.