IT Certifications

• 5 weeks later...

Meron ba ditong TOGAF certified? Is it worthit?

As a rule of thumb - cerifications only matter if a.) there are hundreds of candidates and you want your CV to stand out, and b.) if your interviewer dont know how to do that job.

If you need one of the two, get ceritifed. Otherwise, it’ll just be a nice to have :)

For example, if it’s a top position like a chief architect, most probaly, candidates would be sift through via years of experience, and industry he has worked in - let’s say 9 years in the banking world, and 3 yrs of that as architect. Rarely would a TOGAF ceritification would play any role there. It’s nce to have, but it wont make or break your chances.

If the person interviewing you does not know what it means to be an enterprise architect, then you might questions from the internet, and that TOGAF cert means a 3rd party how know more about the interviewer has already validated you - and that’s pogi points. But if the interviewer knows his s@%t, he wont care what certs you have. What’s important is that you can answer his questions :)

Seriously gano pa ka worth it ang mga IT certifications ngaun? minsan ba mas advantageous pa sya kesa sa degree?

Both certs and degrees only matter if you dont have any experience. If you have the experience, and you answer all their questions, they wont even care if you dsint graduate from college. 3yrs in the IT industry and you shouldnt be asked about your GPA anymore. That’s irrelevant. Question is - what have you done in the past 3 yrs?

I dotn know of any 6-digit earner that got that because of degree or cert. they may have it, but that’s not the reason they got it. In fact, some interviewers will doubt if you only accumulated certs and have not done any project of substantial size or complexity.

Both certs and degrees only matter if you dont have any experience. If you have the experience, and you answer all their questions, they wont even care if you dsint graduate from college. 3yrs in the IT industry and you shouldnt be asked about your GPA anymore. That’s irrelevant. Question is - what have you done in the past 3 yrs?

I dotn know of any 6-digit earner that got that because of degree or cert. they may have it, but that’s not the reason they got it. In fact, some interviewers will doubt if you only accumulated certs and have not done any project of substantial size or complexity.

Thanks, Im a graduating cs student and Im betting on my Github profile more than anything to land my first actual job where Im going to compile all my pet projects after refactoring and rewriting its code bases. Im just curious how important these certs are because my school are requiring us to pay and attend seminars like "Introduction to Mobile Programming" by some IT training institute lol or "Game design 101" or Tesda NCII Computer System Servicing in order for us to gain certificates, which is damn expensive sometimes for a student, and specially im not that interested in them...

And to ask another question, searching on the internet led me to believe that my Github/repository profile will be invaluable. because employers can take a peak on how one person actually write code, will this actually work? how far my github profile and pet projects can take me?

Edited by F-16

Certs will be a nice to have, but is rarely a deal maker. However, in the sea of fresh grads, having certifications will do make you stand out.

But you're mindset is correct as well - a github profile with a showcase of your projects is also a great way to standout. That actually is much more impressive for me than certs. Because some of the fresh grads would also have a bunch of certifications. However, only a few showcase their portfolio of non-school projects. In fact, if you can do some actual contractual projects (even for no fee), and if you add that to your CV, that would again even make you stand out more. If you just have school projects in your CV, then you're just like the rest of the fresh grads. But if you have projects like github projects, or upwork projects, or maybe even you did a website/application for a friend (or even an application for yourself), that's a great way to stand out.

Furthermore, there's a huge gap between what the academe teaches vs what is needed in the industry. In doesnt matter if you come from the top 3 universities. At the end of the day, you're a fresh grad who knows very little about technologies and practices done in the industry. And that's not the fault of the universities and their curriculum btw. Because teaching you the specific technologies during college does not help. Because by the time you graduate, trend has already moved on. What the universities teach are the basics. It's up to you to apply these to catch up to the trends (and you'd have to continuously do this throughout your career).

Lastly though, I'd just like to recommend that you create a linkedin profile. Link their your previous projects and your github profile. That should allow recruiters to find you and for you to standout from the rest of the fresh grads.

Edited by kend84
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, theoneandonlymistressmia said:

CCNA and CCNP certified back then but aparently it expires and I hate tech stuff but yeah that was my past. But who cares, I'm an espa owner and partner of an international accounting firm. How ironic. Pakalat kalat ako. Hahaahahahahhaa! 

very interesting. 

i was ccna (Routing and Switching) before but end up managing unix/linux servers.

got my latest az104 cert.   senior consultant atm but still "rethinking" what to do the next 2-3yrs from now 

icing on the cake lang ang cert. experience pa rin talaga hinahanap. just my 2 cents 

Edited by deatheater06
edit
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, Gaston Le Foix said:

Been a SysAd for more than 2yrs. I want to be certified but, not sure which one should I start with. Been working with MS products and Azure. Also, what'e the best way to learn Linux?

To learn Linux at least you must have an environment to play. If you have a PC/laptop running in windows try install virtualbox or VMware workstation to run Linux OS. 

2nd find a reliable source in the internet , you can search document/datasheet/admin guide for a specific Linux flavor that you choose. And there's a lot of YouTubers that has Linux tutorials. 

Goodluck ! 

• 1 month later...