Back To The 70's

what I miss most was the album-oriented radio stations in the 70's - DZRJ and DWRT. I remember staying up late at night just to catch The Rock and Roll Machine which went on at RJ I think at 11 at night. It's where they play live concert music by such acts like Frank Zappa. I think it was hosted then by Howlin'Dave or Cousin Hoagy. Then they also had the Album of the Day feature where they play an entire album for an hour - this is where I first heard Steely Dan which remains a great favorite up to this day. Howlin' Dave also hosted an hour of Pinoy Rock where such acts like Maria Cafra, Banyuhay, Sampaguita, Petrified Anthem, etc first got noticed.

I think it was hosted then by Howlin'Dave or Cousin Hoagy. Then they also had the Album of the Day feature where they play an entire album for an hour -

Speaking of Howlin Dave, he was one of the pioneers of the punk era during that time. I use to see him at the Brave New World Concert series.

I am not from the 70's...

When I was born, kumbaga nasa resolution na ang Martial Law

but I love the 70's after seeing my parent's pictures.. cool clothes, especially ung bellbottoms, tapos ung dresses ang gaganda, honestly fashion fan ako nina Maverick at Ariel. mabuhay ang ukay ukay

Tapos ung disco music!! da best yun.. Ung mga damit din na pang extreme disco talaga...

haay... sana magkaroon ng ukay ukay devoted to 70's stuff lang talaga..

A typical "tipar" ....

Sa "haybols" ng kaibigan, best kung malaki ang sala. Potluck o kaya may prior damage para sa pagkain. Several sofas on one side of the sala, more sofas on the opposite side. The music plays. Sugod ang mga "kelot" sa mga "bebot." May I have this dance? The entire place is in darkness so you can't even see the face of the person you're dancing with. Pero mayroon nang mga identified na maganda. Hotdog, Eric Clapton, Haji, Tito Mina, Commodores. Si "ermat" at si "erpat" nasa taas. Napakiusapan ng host na huwag makialam. Eleven o'clock... kailangan nang umuwi dahil curfew (kung ayaw ma-Crame). Yung iba, stay-in na lang hanggang 4 a.m. pagtapos na ang curfew.

Paano ba mag-party mga bata ngayon ("bata" meaning late elementary or high school)? Mayroon pa bang nagtitipar sa haybols?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tungkol sa typar nung 70's;

Maaga magstart - usually 8pm yugyugan na. Umpisahan ng mga 4 or 5 disco or dance music, tapos 2 sweet music, tapos 2 dance, tapos 2 sweet, 2 dance ulit, tapos pulos sweet na mga 4 or 5. Bakuran na yan, tapos about 9:30-10 eat na tapos sayawan ulit o laponggahan na. Uso noon yung strobe light tsaka black light. Ang thrill noon e since madilim talaga, malalaman mo lang yung kara kapag kainan na. Tapos 12pm (1am curfew) uwian na or stay-in till 4am. Kapag umuwi na lahat ng bebot or chicks, ff or bomba movies na. Pag me mga chikas pa, tuloy ang yugyugan at yakapan. :P

what i really miss from the 70s is radio. there is no station now whose playlist is similar to that of rj-fm and rj-am in the 70s and 80s. iba talaga (santana, joni mitchell, csny, led zep, mclaughlin, bong penera, boy camara, etc...really eclectic, a heady mix of rock and jazz at its finest with a bit of folk and r&b plus pinoy rock to boot). bob magoo's voice was something...same to dodie lacuna, brother wayne and jing magsaysay of wwk (where jazz has never sounded better). they also had a great playlist, and their female newscaster (forgot her name) had great diction. cds may sound clearer but i really prefer vinyl records. pure, real and unadulterated.

Maaga magstart - usually 8pm yugyugan na. Umpisahan ng mga 4 or 5 disco or dance music, tapos 2 sweet music, tapos 2 dance, tapos 2 sweet, 2 dance ulit, tapos pulos sweet na mga 4 or 5. Bakuran na yan, tapos about 9:30-10 eat na tapos sayawan ulit o laponggahan na. Uso noon yung strobe light tsaka black light. Ang thrill noon e since madilim talaga, malalaman mo lang yung kara kapag kainan na. Tapos 12pm (1am curfew) uwian na or stay-in till 4am. Kapag umuwi na lahat ng bebot or chicks, ff or bomba movies na. Pag me mga chikas pa, tuloy ang yugyugan at yakapan. :P

Di ba, pareng storm, yung FF (fighting fish) o bomba movies noon, e nasa reel pa? Na wala sound? Wala pang betamax noon! :lol: :lol:

Speaking of Howlin Dave, he was one of the pioneers of the punk era during that time. I use to see him at the Brave New World Concert series.

yeah kahit sa RJ nun punk was pretty extreme and it was only in his timeslots where you can hear the likes of the Sex Pistols, The Ramones, etc...

I miss those tipars :P

puro plaka pa nun ang sounds, right? :P

what i really miss from the 70s is radio. there is no station now whose playlist is similar to that of rj-fm and rj-am in the 70s and 80s. iba talaga (santana, joni mitchell, csny, led zep, mclaughlin, bong penera, boy camara, etc...really eclectic, a heady mix of rock and jazz at its finest with a bit of folk and r&b plus pinoy rock to boot). bob magoo's voice was something...same to dodie lacuna, brother wayne and jing magsaysay of wwk (where jazz has never sounded better). they also had a great playlist, and their female newscaster (forgot her name) had great diction. cds may sound clearer but i really prefer vinyl records. pure, real and unadulterated.

rock on, pare!

do you remember RJ's sister station sa FM nuon - DZUW? That's where I heard all these non-commercial jazz from Chick Corea, Weather Report, Larry Coryell, Mahavishnu while the other stations were playing Joe Sample, Alphonse Mouzon, Chuck Mangione, Bob James and others of their ilk :D

now kahit commercial jazz station wala na...

hey, I still have and still buy a lot of vinyl records - I scoop up all these ECM records pag may nakikita ako....

Edited by bods1000

DWWK-FM was 101.9. Very good reception. I used to tape some music here on our 4 channel AKAI open reel recorder. Buhay pa yung open reel tape deck, pero sira na.

In 1974, my parents bought an AKAI 4-channel surround stero with open reel tape recorder. It was a blast. That's the first time I heard music played backwards. In a 4-channel recording, all 4 tracks are used in 1 direction that when you play side b, you get 'backward masking'. Eeerie.

Remember Queen's 'Another one bites the dust' ----- you'll hear 'It's fun to hit marijuana' when played backwards..

Di ba, pareng storm, yung FF (fighting fish) o bomba movies noon, e nasa reel pa? Na wala sound? Wala pang betamax noon! :lol: :lol:

Lumabas ang betamax nung 1978. Wala ng curfew noon. :D

Uso pa rin ang mga tipar. Uso rin ang mga vodka and 'brownies' for pica-pica :rolleyes:

rock on, pare!

do you remember RJ's sister station sa FM nuon - DZUW? That's where I heard all these non-commercial jazz from Chick Corea, Weather Report, Larry Coryell, Mahavishnu while the other stations were playing Joe Sample, Alphonse Mouzon, Chuck Mangione, Bob James and others of their ilk :D

hey, I still have and still buy a lot of vinyl records - I scoop up all these ECM records pag may nakikita ako....

Bro, wala na akong turn table e. Pero I really liked the music of Chick Corea, Weather Report, Larry Coryell, Mahavishnu. Me cd ka ba niyan?

rock on, pare!

of course...i thought for a while some years back that kiss-fm would emulate wwk's playlist, or rj-fm would be revived. remember sometime in the early 80s when rj suddenly changed its playlist...i woke up one morning hearing "body rock" and thought, teka, mali ata ang sinalang na plaka. but as the day went on, nag iba ang tugtog talaga, panay pop. then i was told that someone took over rj pala, the group that owns mellow touch 94. fortunately, a few months later mukhang bumalik kay rj ang station niya sa jmt bldg sa sta. mesa.

it's disappointing na wala ng station ngayon that plays 70s, 80s rock. to their credit, nu is good, pero parang bitin pa rin. as you wrote, where can we hear chick corea, mahavishnu orchestra, weather report? iba na rin ang playlist ng ctlite 88 and crossover. hindi rin talaga jazz. i've had my fill of new age.

collector ka ba? you may want to visit the basement of makati cinema square. there's a shop there that has thousands. used to collect, but sold it to another collector kasi i needed the dough. hope to start one again.