Photo

All About Hongkong! Shopping, Hotels, Tourist Spots - Merged Threa

• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#21 eric0520

eric0520

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good!

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Making ladies satisfaction guaranteed!

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

Mka punta nga to shop.

#22 johnlove

johnlove

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:sex

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:03 AM

If you want to haggle, do it in the afternoon. For a lot of locals, haggling in the morning is bad luck, and oftentimes they are mean. So do your sightseeing (ocean park, disney, victoria peak) in the morning, and bargain hunting in the afternoon.

#23 Guest_Dennis®_*

Guest_Dennis®_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

i agree with in_style. for electronics, go to haiphong road (that's the street perpendicular to canton and nathan. and along nathan, coming from haiphong heading north walk about 50 meters and you will see Park Lane Shopper's Mall. you may also want to try the side streets parallel to haiphong (south side) i was able to find good buys in those narrow alleys. if you're staying at hong kong side, try the small alleys (i think that's fashion walk and kingston) at the back of excelsior hotel (gloucester road.) avoid going to mongkok. medyo hassle dun. they know if you're a filipino. may signal sila sa bawat isa. tinataasan nila presyo. there was this bag they were selling for $100 HK in mongkok, i bought the same bag for 3 for $100HK at a small store in harbour city. caveat emptor! check around before splurging. and one more thing, get an orange card. i've benn using mine for the last 5 years. very convenient when going around. you can even use it at some 7-11 stores. :)

#24 kaplogan

kaplogan

SG version KAPE AT ITLOG

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

try nyo pumunta sa south side Ap Lei Chau or Aberdeen meron dun mga warehouse like Replay, Mango, etc... kung season sale nila July RL at Polo sports 80% off...try nyo din hanapin yung UNO UNO shop yata yun located at Tsim Sha Tsui at Central nagbebenta sila ung may mga sliht defect pero very low price...

#25 kerrmit

kerrmit

Tenken

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hi Sir Kerrmit,

Just wondering, after your shopping in Hongkong, what happens if the customs slap high taxes upon your arrival at the airport?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's for personal use only, it's not taxable. At least, that's what I heard. Im not an accountant but from my travels in the past, I have never had any problems with taxes or duties on my personal effects and pasalubongs. :thumbsupsmiley:

:mtc:

#26 chipmaker

chipmaker

Magnificent Bastard

• (14) Tera Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

electronics (computer accessories, digital cameras, digital video recorders): sham sui po. paglabas mo ng mtr exit, yun na yun. may mga binebenta ring second hand cellphones and pda na medyo bago-bago pa. you can also try wan chai computer center. if you're into digital slr cameras, try mongkok computer center. maraming mga shops selling second hand digital slr.

clothes: central on a sunday. daming sales ng giordano, g2000, u2.

#27 johnlove

johnlove

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:sex

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

i agree with in_style. for electronics, go to haiphong road (that's the street perpendicular to canton and nathan. and along nathan, coming from haiphong heading north walk about 50 meters and you will see Park Lane Shopper's Mall. you may also want to try the side streets parallel to haiphong (south side) i was able to find good buys in those narrow alleys. if you're staying at hong kong side, try the small alleys (i think that's fashion walk and kingston) at the back of excelsior hotel (gloucester road.) avoid going to mongkok. medyo hassle dun. they know if you're a filipino. may signal sila sa bawat isa. tinataasan nila presyo. there was this bag they were selling for $100 HK in mongkok, i bought the same bag for 3 for $100HK at a small store in harbour city. caveat emptor! check around before splurging. and one more thing, get an orange card. i've benn using mine for the last 5 years. very convenient when going around. you can even use it at some 7-11 stores.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sir Dennis, may I know what is an orange card?

#28 kerrmit

kerrmit

Tenken

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Sir Dennis, may I know what is an orange card?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's probably referring to the Octopus card. It's really one of the things i missed most about HK. That card can be used to go conveniently around HK: pay your fares, get your food, buy some stuff.

And i didnt even have to take it out of my wallet! I just swipe it and the beep lets me know the deal is done. galing! :cool:

#29 centrino

centrino

Seducer

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

He's probably referring to the Octopus card. It's really one of the things i missed most about HK. That card can be used to go conveniently around HK: pay your fares, get your food, buy some stuff.

And i didnt even have to take it out of my wallet! I just swipe it and the beep lets me know the deal is done. galing!  :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup its a proximity checking device. Sort of like the E-pass that we have at SLEX or the EC-TAG at NLEX only its much more flexible and personalized :D Sana maging ganyan na din tyo dito, cashless na ;)

#30 kadafy

kadafy

and the frog is back...again!

• (12) Mega Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

electronic stuff - sham shui po
clothing/fashion - central specially on weekends
tiange stuff - mongkok

#31 Susan H

Susan H

Virgin

• (02) Sinless
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

It was great to shop in hongkong BEFORE but right now its just like going to tutuban. Nothing special really except the weather. Ang traffic na din.

#32 wEbStAr

wEbStAr

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:sports, motoring, travelling, food, and but of course, sex!!!

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

The best are to shop is in Kowloon. Its like the divisoria of hongkong.

For electronic stuff, go to fortress. Its the best place to get the tech stuff. :cool:

#33 jombratero

jombratero

Experienced

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

hi newbie here...

HELP!!

M planning to go to hongkong with friends, is it better to go with a tour group or just be on your own?
M worried if we will be joining a tour group, we might not be able to shop around and because of the schedule....
Which is the best choice?

This might be kinda off topic....

Hope you can give advice which is better... (budget wise, schedule wise, etc...)

Thanks......

#34 wEbStAr

wEbStAr

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:sports, motoring, travelling, food, and but of course, sex!!!

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

hi newbie here...

HELP!!

M planning to go to hongkong with friends, is it better to go with a tour group or just be on your own?
M worried if we will be joining a tour group, we might not be able to shop around and because of the schedule....
Which is the best choice?

This might be kinda off topic....

Hope you can give advice which is better... (budget wise, schedule wise, etc...)

Thanks......

Eto kasi yun dude,

If you're not familiar with the place, maybe the tour can help pero nde sya enjoy for me. Sunod lang kayo ng sunod sa guide and medyo strict sila sa time. Plus na ang aga aga ng alis nyo. I think pick-up is around 5 to 5:30 am or depende sa tour.

But if you choose to go around by yourselves, just don't forget to ask from the hotel their card. Y? In case you got lost, you can ride a cab, just give the card to the driver and sya na bahala. Di kasi lahat ng driver marunong mag english.]

Another thing, bring a map. This will be very helpful not only with you guys going around but it also provides info about the public transportation you can take from one destination to another.

Hope this helps.

#35 jombratero

jombratero

Experienced

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

ah ok. Thanks for the tip.
Seems like id be going with a tour, mukhang mas feasible, kasi medyo budgeted...
Totoo kaya yung mga naka advertise sa dyaryo.... I called them, pero
kadalasan, fully booked na raw...
Para tuloy ayaw ako papuntahin sa hk...

#36 baccaratboy

baccaratboy

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,122 posts
  • Interests:Movies

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Jombatero, If you're going to Hong Kong for shopping -- I advise that you don't join the tour, get a free and easy package trip. If you're going to Hong Kong just for sight seeing - you join the tour.

You'll notice that package tours are cheaper than free and easy tours. The reason is that you don't have time to shop if you join the tour (hectic itenirary) and there are travel agencies that will charge you an additional USD$ 50.00 if you don't join the tour.

TIP ON SHOPPING: Tourists shop in Hong Kong, residence of Hong Kong shop in China. WHY? It's cheaper to shop in China and it's a train away (but beware of imitations).

#37 6MD

6MD

Virgin

• (02) Sinless
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

ah ok. Thanks for the tip.
Seems like id be going with a tour, mukhang mas feasible, kasi medyo budgeted...
Totoo kaya yung mga naka advertise sa dyaryo.... I called them, pero
kadalasan, fully booked na raw...
Para tuloy ayaw ako papuntahin sa hk...

You might want to try going sometime around May-June...medyo mura hotels that time ata (at least nung pumunta kami
)...It's relatively easy to navigate around HK (either main HK island or Kowloon side)... tama sila, may mga mapa sa airport pa lang...very convenient at user friendly rin ang MTR (especially when going to Disneyland).

If you're in budget and willing to tour the HK side, try the tram..mura talaga (parang seven pesos lang equivalent nun in HK dollar)..try also eating the local foods..pero syempre piliin mo din yung maayos...

If you're into buying perfumes, try the shop bon jour..relatively mura din dun..

Enjoy!

#38 Guest_bleeding_angel_*

Guest_bleeding_angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:25 PM

dont join tours coz it will waste your precious time. HK is easy to figure out anyway. just grab a map and choose the destination you wish to see. go there for the sights and not for the buys. it's really expensive in hk, even when the prices are discounted.

#39 bea_babe

bea_babe

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:travelling ... shopping ... books ... desserts ...

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

shopping in HK ... I must agree with what the others posted here ... don't join the tours ...

If you see or like anything in a particular shop .. lets say Giordano ... buy it na ... because if later on you decide that you like that particular item and you go to another Giordano outlet, it's not guaranteed that they have the same item on sale ... same with other outlets like Mango etc etc ...

Nine west outlets are much cheaper in HK compared to Manila ...

The esprit outlet in Tung Chung is the best esprit outlet ... they have the latest merchandise .... and a lot of items on sale ... (take the yellow line ... i think ... or basta take the Tung Chung Line .. and it's the last station ... the Mall is connected naman sa station ... better get the day pass kasi mas sulit ... baka nasa 20-30 bucks na yung one way fare ... last time i was there the day pass was 50 bucks lang .. . so if you're going to tung chung then back to central ... sulit na) ... may free gift check ka pa sa marina ... whuch you can use in any establishment there ... maski sa mcdonalds pwede siya ...

I agree ... go to china if you really want to shop ... but .. book it through your agent so that they will arrange na your visa ... kasi if you're going to get the Visa from here hindi masyado sulit ... they have group visas .. which comes out cheaper ...

and if you have bpi atm card with the cirrus logo just use that card in withdrawing money from their atms ... it usually comes out cheaper ... even with the surcharge for using their terminal ... at least that way ... you only take out the money that you need ...

sometimes its much better to buy perfumes from watsons than sasa ...

#40 daDJ

daDJ

In Search Of Sunrise

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

The first H&M store in Asia opened its doors on March 10 in Queens Road, Central in HK.

Bea_babe, I agree with you on shopping finds in Tung Chung. Not only Esprit but you'll also find discounted Calvin Klein, Giordano, Body Shop, Nike, Adidas and Quiksilver items in outlet stores in the Tung Chung Mall.

Some items are cheaper in Zara HK than the ones sold in Manila. Good finds are the kiddie stuff that are sold in the Zara store in Time Square (Admiralty).

Perfumes and skincare items sold in Sasa are more expensive than the ones sold in Rustan's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users