Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Letting them join in the PBA is the least expensive of all options. Of course, ideally, letting them join in as much international tournaments is the best way to gain experience. But it is also the most expensive. Not to mention, it could also shatter some confidence of the young players if they join immediately in tournaments just to end up losing all the time. Take note, young players. If they are seasoned players then their confidence is more or less already established and they already know what they can do.

Letting them join the PBA the least expensive option if PBA dedicates one conference to full FIBA rules.

having a seat in world basketbal tournament= PRICELESS, landing a spot on olympics= PRICELESS... for playing other asian countries and gaining expereince ders MASTERCARD.............

Bakit ang china, iran at ibang middle east countries may professional league ba? pero bakit sila ang nagchachampion?

Hindi kaya masyado lang mataas ang tingin ng mga pilipino sa PBA dahil "professional"

China has their "professional league" called the CBA. They also have the CBL which is a division 2 "minor league" which can be parallel to our PBL.

Iran has the Iranian Basketball Super League.

I guess the way to view your query is that it is no longer a distinction whether a league is deemed as professional or amature specially with the advent of OPEN BASKETBALL. Before kasi, pros can not represent their country in international competition thus they try to maintain their amature status kahit na binabayaran din ang mga players. Ofcourse they use different terminologies for the money received calling it an allowance instead of salary.

• Like (+1) 6

Good intention, but bad idea.

The BEST athletes will still gravitate towards whatever sport/league that will pay them the most. And players are on a very strict timeline. They have a an expiration date.

Just re-invent the PBA, to accomodate the current realities of basketball in Asia (and the current rut the PBA is on). Being "nationalistic" is what will save the PBA!

Wel that would be the case if coach RAJO will adapt the PBA style of play ... however, the Gilas Team can actually play the system they intend to develop while playing in the PBA.

NCC joined and won a conference in the PBA, I don't think they adopted to the PBA system of 1 on 1 plays then. On the positive note this is an inexpensive way to build teamwork in a competitive scenario.

Boss:

I agree that they can play the way they want to. But even if you employ the system you want, you can't see the fruits of it playing in the PBA. Ang problem lang is the competition they will be seeing in the PBA is still so different from what they will be seeing in international play. I wasn't around during the NCC days, so I have no opinion on that. But today, why risk it? You have an international-style team in the Smart-Gilas team. Why risk them developing the bad habits that you wanted them not to in the first place?

I also agree that its the most inexpensive way to develop chemistry. But, should that be a hindrance? I am not saying that they should live in the states or in Europe. Join 2-week tournaments here and there. Play exhibition games here in the Philippines against top-quality international teams (Qatar, Lebanon, etc.). Hopefully, MVP/Smart has allocated a lot for the Philippine team.

Re: your comment on the confidence level of these players. These players are young, I agree. But, I do not think that these are greenhorns that you have to cradle as well. These players signed up to the program, understanding that its a long-term project. Why would there confidence be shaken if they lose early? And if it does, I'd rather we find out now so we can replace them this early. No point in training if they are of weak heart and character.

Good discussion. Keep it up.

Boss:

I agree that they can play the way they want to. But even if you employ the system you want, you can't see the fruits of it playing in the PBA. Ang problem lang is the competition they will be seeing in the PBA is still so different from what they will be seeing in international play. I wasn't around during the NCC days, so I have no opinion on that. But today, why risk it? You have an international-style team in the Smart-Gilas team. Why risk them developing the bad habits that you wanted them not to in the first place?

I also agree that its the most inexpensive way to develop chemistry. But, should that be a hindrance? I am not saying that they should live in the states or in Europe. Join 2-week tournaments here and there. Play exhibition games here in the Philippines against top-quality international teams (Qatar, Lebanon, etc.). Hopefully, MVP/Smart has allocated a lot for the Philippine team.

Re: your comment on the confidence level of these players. These players are young, I agree. But, I do not think that these are greenhorns that you have to cradle as well. These players signed up to the program, understanding that its a long-term project. Why would there confidence be shaken if they lose early? And if it does, I'd rather we find out now so we can replace them this early. No point in training if they are of weak heart and character.

Good discussion. Keep it up.

In basketball you have what you call OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE patters. These are basic patterns you try to establish for the team irregardless of who the opponent would be.

Kung ang systema sa opensa for example is that a player should not have more than 3 dribbles and there should be at least 3 passes before shooting the ball then it will be the system no matter what. Now kung ang players will stick to that system while playing in the PBA then it will become 2nd nature to them when they play internationally. In that sense that would be the dividend they get while playing in the PBA.

Sa defensive patterns naman, it will depend on whether the PBA will allow the national team to use Zone which is not allowed in the PBA. However, hindi lang naman isang defensive pattern ang ginagamit ng team diba. They could practice their full court or half court press if they so desire. On half courts, they can make use of honing their straight man to man defense or the man-zone defense.

Again, going back to the 80's since the PBA use professional rules when the NCC team played as a guest squad, coach Ron Jacobs often employ the man-zone as well as the press.

As to gaining chemistry while playing I think there is no argument about this, it all boils down whether do we play internationally or locally. Am not suggesting that we forget the international competition. What I am saying here is we hone our skills by playing locally in the PBA then test our skill levels/improvements by joining international tournaments. The PBA battle should do them more good since it will be better than just scrimmage ... eto actula game situations wherein players tend to experience real game situations and will eventually learn how to react accordingly. As they say there is no better teacher than experience.

Finally,as far as loosing is concerned that would lower the confidence level of the BOYS ... I didn't think I said that but here's my thoughts ...first and foremost, the intent to join the PBA if allowed is not only to be the training ground but also to win. Ofcourse winning would be secondary as long as the team would be able to achieve the more urgent agenda they have for participating. Will loosing affect the confidence of the boys? Well, I don't think so ... coz most of these players look up to the PBA players. As such I see is as more of a WINNING situation. Why? Well dito pa lang sa thread na ito we all agree that talent wise the PBA players would be up and above the Gilas Team diba? SO in that sense, bakit ka madidismaya if you know you lose to a better player. Now hindi maiwasan na may pagkakataon na ganyan nga ang maging pagiisip ng players lalo na un hindi pa mature, then this is where the coaching staff should come in and continue to MOTIVATE these guys. On the other hand, assuming they would be able to go toe to toe with the PBA teams ... hindi ba isang malaking moral booster ito?

• Like (+1) 5

Ex-Los Angeles Lakers CJ Giles has finally signed a one-year contract to play as import -- and possibly a naturalized player -- for the Smart-Gilas developmental team preparing for various international events next year.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala said on Saturday that Giles, an athletic 6-foot-10 center, is expected to come to the Philippines on September 1 to start training with the rest Gilas squad under Serbian mentor Rojko Toroman.

"We're really excited to have CJ in the line-up," Eala said yesterday.

The SBP is now in the process to naturalize Giles, 24, through Congress with the help of Rep. Robbie Puno, who heads the Youth and Sports Development committee.

Eala refused to divulge the exact amount of Giles' one-year deal, but he mentioned that it is close to the salary of a PBA import, which is approximately $15, 000 a month or P8.64 million spread over one year.

The SBP has also the option to extend the contract depending on the performance of Giles, who recently played for the Denver Nuggets during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas where he averaged 7.2 points and 7 rebounds.

According to Eala, the contract of Giles also includes a service car and a house, "and he can also bring in his brother and three-year-old son."

Giles actually played as import of the Gilas in the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia several months back, where he played alongside amateur stalwarts like Mark Barroca, Dylan Ababou, JV Casio, Chris Tiu, and RJ Jazul. Waylon Galvez - Manila Bulletin]

I'm just wondering what will be the reactions are.

If you will ask me, well I guess it is a good move in terms of strengthening our national team but I dont think that most of Filipinos will agree for us having so much pride to be rescued by an American the second time around.

Good intention, but bad idea.

The BEST athletes will still gravitate towards whatever sport/league that will pay them the most. And players are on a very strict timeline. They have a an expiration date.

Just re-invent the PBA, to accomodate the current realities of basketball in Asia (and the current rut the PBA is on). Being "nationalistic" is what will save the PBA!

"The best athele will still gravitate towards who will pay them most" ... I AGREE, example would be Rico M., Ogie Menoe and Japeth A whol are all being recruited for the Gilas team but decided to turn pro. Again, basketball is a means of livelihood for them thus money/pay is important. Di natin alam kung ano ang naging offer sa kanila ng Gilas Team but my guess is that it could be less than what they potentially could earn in the PBA. Now dito masusubukan din un NATIONALISM ng player. Willing ba siya to forgo some income for the flag? Some of them would ... others won't as the case.

At the end of the day nasa FILIPINO yan kung gaano ang pagmamahal niya sa bayan ... 2lad ng nabanggit ko dati, si Kerby at james Yap ay gustong bumitaw sa national team kasi nahihirapan na daw sila sa double practice. Eto namang nga internatonal nba players like Tony PArket at Pau GAsol willing na willing makapaglaro sa national team nila kahit pagot sa isang mahabang nba season. Yun dalawa nga na-injure sa practice e nagpupumilit na makapagpagaling para matuloy pa din ang pagrepresinta sa kanilang bansa sa Euro Championship.

• Like (+1) 4
Ex-Los Angeles Lakers CJ Giles has finally signed a one-year contract to play as import -- and possibly a naturalized player -- for the Smart-Gilas developmental team preparing for various international events next year.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala said on Saturday that Giles, an athletic 6-foot-10 center, is expected to come to the Philippines on September 1 to start training with the rest Gilas squad under Serbian mentor Rojko Toroman.

"We're really excited to have CJ in the line-up," Eala said yesterday.

The SBP is now in the process to naturalize Giles, 24, through Congress with the help of Rep. Robbie Puno, who heads the Youth and Sports Development committee.

Eala refused to divulge the exact amount of Giles' one-year deal, but he mentioned that it is close to the salary of a PBA import, which is approximately $15, 000 a month or P8.64 million spread over one year.

The SBP has also the option to extend the contract depending on the performance of Giles, who recently played for the Denver Nuggets during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas where he averaged 7.2 points and 7 rebounds.

According to Eala, the contract of Giles also includes a service car and a house, "and he can also bring in his brother and three-year-old son."

Giles actually played as import of the Gilas in the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia several months back, where he played alongside amateur stalwarts like Mark Barroca, Dylan Ababou, JV Casio, Chris Tiu, and RJ Jazul. Waylon Galvez - Manila Bulletin]

I'm just wondering what will be the reactions are.

If you will ask me, well I guess it is a good move in terms of strengthening our national team but I dont think that most of Filipinos will agree for us having so much pride to be rescued by an American the second time around.

Using naturalized players in general as a means to strengthen the team is an acceptable practice under the guidelines set by the FIBA. However, as to the issue of "PRIDE" on the victory gained through such, its a big debate.

Liberals will say as long as it is within the rules, there is nothing wrong specially other country also have the same practice. On the other hand, PURIST will say that the victory is diminished for reasons very obvious.

Again even with a naturalized player in Giles, realistically I still don't like our chances of a final 4 finish in 2 years time for the 2011 FIBA Olympic Qualifier ... worst I think only the top 2 would qualify. However, I still hope for the best and wish to be proven wrong.

Edited by peithe
  • Like (+1) 4
Bakit ang china, iran at ibang middle east countries may professional league ba? pero bakit sila ang nagchachampion?

Hindi kaya masyado lang mataas ang tingin ng mga pilipino sa PBA dahil "professional"

Iranian Basketball Super League (est. 1998)

Chinese Basketball Association (est. 1995)

i think its too early kahit maglalaro mga yan s pba maybe toroman could teach them a thing or too in playing team ball.... which is of course the proper way to compete in international compatition... however even if they were able to beat the pba teams.... the fact still remains n maliliit tayo compare to other asian countries... may giles ng tayo kaso iisa lang cya.... the rest are either 6,5 and below.... walo tayo player who could match up with the 3 and 4 position.....

Only China have a professional league... Yung Iran maybe all of us know na mhirap yung country due to trade embargo. Yung ibang middle east countries ang alam ko sumasali sila sa mga invitational tourney. Or nagpupunta sa malapit na bansa to play.

smart-gilas (s-g) playing in the pba? i think that this is a short sighted solution to the problem. i know that it will be cheaper and easier logistically. but what will we end up with? another powerade team version 2.0. last i looked, powerade team v1.0 couldn't keep up with korea, and not to mention majority of the middle eastern teams it went up against. so s-g joining the pba imo will be like taking one step forward and 2 steps backward.

now all these talks about s-g team teaching pba teams a thing or two, or the pba dedicating a conference to fiba rules is not realistic. cmon guys. the pba is a commercial league who's sole responsibility is to look after no.1- the pba. they have no obligation to the philippine team. otherwise, they will take it upon themselves to spearhead their involvement on a regular basis. i see their past involvement with the nat'l team as primarily for public relations purposes on their end. they have benefitted from it and thus, it (their involvement) was still about them. so how do you expect them to bend backards (change their rules to fiba rules) to facilitate s-g's entry?

Only China have a professional league... Yung Iran maybe all of us know na mhirap yung country due to trade embargo. Yung ibang middle east countries ang alam ko sumasali sila sa mga invitational tourney. Or nagpupunta sa malapit na bansa to play.

would you care to expound on your statement? Are you implying that IRAN has no professional league at all which is counter to what have been presented a few post before or you are saying that this professional league no longer exist?

• Like (+1) 6

dude, you may have mixed iraq with iran

i wouldnt exactly categorize iran as "mahirap"

Iran has an estimated GDP of $290B (PH is $140B +)

But i guess all that is for another discussion on a different thread and forum :)

however, i think i do get what you mean

but the thing is, i dont think the amount of partipation and invitational tourneys with neighboring countries is the issue with the RP team...but the level of competition that is available within SE Asia

simply putting it, the closest competition we have in our region is from Indonesia and to say that they are 5 years behind with basketball is an understatement

the most economically feasible means to foster teamwork and cohesiveness with Smart-Gilas is with having them compete toe-to-toe with the PBA

however, training shouldn't stop there

Smart-Gilas should look into regular participation in international competitions (outside of SE Asia); preferably in Europe

Guest megalodon
dude, you may have mixed iraq with iran

i wouldnt exactly categorize iran as "mahirap"

Iran has an estimated GDP of $290B (PH is $140B +)

But i guess all that is for another discussion on a different thread and forum :)

however, i think i do get what you mean

but the thing is, i dont think the amount of partipation and invitational tourneys with neighboring countries is the issue with the RP team...but the level of competition that is available within SE Asia

simply putting it, the closest competition we have in our region is from Indonesia and to say that they are 5 years behind with basketball is an understatement

the most economically feasible means to foster teamwork and cohesiveness with Smart-Gilas is with having them compete toe-to-toe with the PBA

however, training shouldn't stop there

Smart-Gilas should look into regular participation in international competitions (outside of SE Asia); preferably in Europe

I agree with you here regarding sending Smart-Gilas to international tourneys (preferably European tourneys since the competition is at a higher level) at least 3 times a year. Since this team is the one chosen by the SBP to represent RP in the coming tourneys, we just have to accept it. However, if this team fails to make it to the Olympics, the SBP should rethink the composition of the team and send our back our pros.

we may have to ask our ofw brothers and sisters for help again. they may have sired 6'10s or 7-ftrs while working overseas so i believe they should recognize these kids and bring them over here. the ofw kids can now be rewarded financially playing basketball in p.i. with an mvp backing and hopefully the other big corporate sponsors should support also, it has commercial viability anyway. the usd15k monthly budget for a naturalized player will go a long way.

But i guess all that is for another discussion on a different thread and forum :) yup is a different topic

from the current roster of Smart-Gilas team unless this players can be as deadly shooters like Larry Bird, Joe Johnson, Reggie Miller we can play against any FIBA Asia team toe to toe... but rarely we can produce as good as ALLAN CAIDIC. And this team not necessary to go to Europe to play basketball.

would you care to expound on your statement? Are you implying that IRAN has no professional league at all which is counter to what have been presented a few post before or you are saying that this professional league no longer exist?

pardon it was a misconception from Iraq to Iran lol...

Boss:

if you let them play in the PBA, they would develop PBA-brand habits (reliance on one-on-one, too much dribbling, little ball movements, too much post-ups), which would be detrimental to their development in terms of international play. They should join the Euro League or something. Or just follow the Iran/China teams around. If the Iran/China teams play in a given tournament, sali den tayo. Mukha tayong saling-pusa but there's no better way to get better than playing with the right type of competition.

THEN PBA SHOULD APPLY FIBA RULES. THAT SIMPLE. :)

hayy, PERA PERA na talaga.

panu kaya kung super duper laki budget ng pinas para sa olympics? as in more than what USA has (which is 99.9% impossible).

--SAGOT: baka pati si MANNY VILLAR mag try-outs sa SMART GILAS hahaha!

hayy, kelan kaya magiging PATRIOTIC tayong mga PINOY?

SANA BUKAS!