Need your advice advertising dudes/chicks....

I've been trying to break into this industry for a long time now, i've been stuck in a job i don't really care about for such a long time, but i feel advertising is where i want to be. I graduated with a degree from such an unrelated subject (human resources), and i'm thinking that maybe this is what is holding me back.

Any tips for me on how to break into the wild and wooly world of advertising? Kahit accounts lang, pano ko kayo pasukin yon? Kahit below the line, kahit ano....

salamat

:mtc:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest uglykid

Hi Larry, I was once a part of the advertising world. I'm now glad that I was able to come out of that hellhole alive.

Just PM me if you want to learn about my story :)

dude,

I used to ba an account manager for TV programs such as the Metropolitan Basketball Association, Philippine Basketball Association and ABS CBN sports before..

just tell me your story and i would help you anyway I can, I have known some good people in the advertising industry!!

ad agencies, clients, you name it!!!

I spent a virtual lifetime in advertising before I switched to media a couple of years ago.

The main thing that will keep you out of the industry is lack of experience, or so the HR people will claim.

But if you think you've got what it takes to move those products off the shelves, a lack of experience, the proper college background or whatever shouldn't hold you back.

Here's what I did eons ago to get in: call up any and all ad agencies that you can. Ask them for whatever openings are there. Then go visit them, drop off your resume, talk to whoever will listen, and, by dang, sell yourself, dude. It's a world run by good ideas, so if you're ideas are top-notch, you have a shot.

Oh yeah, it also helps if you have a few ready storyboards, radio scripts or print ad layouts on hand (even if you wanna be in Accounts, not Creative). Just make sure that they are professionally made and, hopefully, impressive.

I called up 22 agencies, got called in by 8, interviewed by 3 and hired by 1 when I started out. But don't despair. Once you get in, you can easily move from one agency to another, coz that's the nature of the industry. The main thing is breaking in.

So heads up. Take a deep breath. And charge!!

Good luck, buddy.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

dreamstormer, the best way to go if u wanna get into 'creative' work if to get

experience from an advertising agency. which one? i think the 'let your fingers do the talking' is still one of the most effective way. the bigger the ad in the yellow pages, the bigger the company (i think. sabi nila ganon yon e.) try that.

good luck and congrats on ur graduation!

Need your advice advertising dudes/chicks....

I've been trying to break into this industry for a long time now, i've been stuck in a job i don't really care about for such a long time, but i feel advertising is where i want to be.  I graduated with a degree from such an unrelated subject (human resources), and i'm thinking that maybe this is what is holding me back.

Any tips for me on how to break into the wild and wooly world of advertising?  Kahit accounts lang, pano ko kayo pasukin yon?  Kahit below the line, kahit ano....

salamat

:mtc:

If its your passion then go for it man...

dreamstormer, the best way to go if u wanna get into 'creative' work if to get

experience from an advertising agency.  which one?  i think the 'let your fingers do the talking' is still one of the most effective way.  the bigger the ad in the yellow pages, the bigger the company (i think.  sabi nila ganon yon e.) try that.

good luck and congrats on ur graduation!

I'll try that. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking for a Design & Advertising Account Executive...

who will handle and look for clients... PM for details...

You will be working for a Canadian-based corporation but based out of my Manila office...

Lots of potential to be paid renumeration based on Canadian and US sales.

PM me only. Replies to this forum topic will not be answered.

• 2 months later...

Hello to the Advertising practitioners here! ;-)

Not exactly the appropriate thread ... who knows. ;-P

Should you have a need for an SMS/text-based application software or know of someone/companies interested in such, I am just a PM away. ;-) I am an independent reseller for the product ... we can work on some kind of referral fee (on a closed sale). ;-P

Hey, we don't know everyone ... this is where the 6th degree of separation comes into play ... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi guys..im an advertising grad. but nver had enter pa in advertising fields tlga..

after i grad8 kung san-saan creative fields me npunta..w/c is ok nmn.

but im planning n mk-pasok rin s ad agency someday..

my mga ad agency kya n ng-hhire khit wla pang experience s ibang ad agency?

my alam b kyo..?

pm me..tnx! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there if you need tarpaulene printing (10 ft. tarps or more for billboards), backlits, murals, stickers (indoor/outdoor/ for buses, vans and other automobiles), pvc cards, signage requirements and silkscreen and embroidery services at competitive prices. PM me for details.

Attention:   

GRAPHIC ARTIST for Web and Print

(Knowledgeable of Photoshop 7.0 & Dreamweaver)

Please contact me thru:

Mobile : 0921-2276573

Hope to hear from you guys..  :)

Send ur CV to bkashkari@saudiairlines.com.sa and cc to me : fsresma@yahoo.com

Im also a Web Designer working now with Saudi Arabian Airlines..lets see..

• 3 weeks later...

it depends dude kung saan department ka ng advertising interested

there are 3 depts. sa ahensiya

sa media - dito it's either buyer ka o planner

sa creatives - dito ang matitinik sa industriya

kung di ka marunong maglay-out baka pwede kang sumulat

sa accounts - nandito yung magagandang tsikas sa ahensiya

if ur in accounts mabilis ang hiring, mabilis din ang turnover

this is one of those flexible fields, you'll be surprised that most

of the famous and established people in advertising are NOT even

advertising graduates in fact marami sa kanila undergrads

even tessie tomas started as a copywriter at mccann

the advertising industry's a rat race

usong-uso dito ang talangka mentality

the pay is not so rewarding but depende na yan sa ahensiya

kung try-out ka lang why not start with a small agency and work your way up?

• 2 weeks later...
Attention:   

GRAPHIC ARTIST for Web and Print

(Knowledgeable of Photoshop 7.0 & Dreamweaver)

Please contact me thru:

Mobile : 0921-2276573

Hope to hear from you guys..  :)

do you accept OJTs? marunong akong mag Photoshop, macromedia dreamweaver, macromedia flash, HTML.. sana matulungan nyu ako kasi i'm looking for my OJT. thank you.

• 3 weeks later...