Warning About Toyota Cars

• 4 weeks later...

This happened a few years back.

My friend's dad had his innova serviced at toyota cubao for routine check up. They told him to come back after a few days to pick up his vehicle. So he went back on the said date. when he arrived, the vehicle wasn't released yet & told him to wait. After an hour or so, he noticed na nagkukumpulan yung mga staff ng toyota cubao. Eventually, the manager went up to him & said that they couldn't find his innova!!! His innova was missing!!! My friend's dad demanded that they replace his innova. After 10 days, they replaced it w/ a brand new innova. But still, di ko pa din maisip kung pano nawala yung innova sa loob pa ng casa mismo!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Just a little heads up for those who have or are planning to buy a Toyota car.

Our 1.6 Toyota Altis automatic was bought way back in 2002, I personally liked the huge body and style of the car. And because it was a Toyota I was expected it to live up to the Toyota standards of quality and longevity. Fast forward to the present... its 2007 and our cars has about 40,000 kilometers on it, which in my opinion isn't a lot.

But lo and behold, the car suddenly becomes sluggish and has black smoke coming out of the muffler. But when brought to Toyota Quezon Avenue for a check up is given a clean bill of health (change oil lang daw). 2 days later my driver reported that during his daily checklist routine he found that the car had no more oil in it! A fact confirmed by Toyota Quezon Avenue when I brought it to them that same day, and guess what else they told me. They said I needed to have my engine overhauled. OVERHAULED!!! When 2 days ago it was given a clean bill of health and when the car only has 40,000kms on it.

I opted to have my car fixed at a auto shop my friend (who used to work for toyota) recommended. In short I spent 40K or so on the car. Sucks aint it. But this isnt just a rant about my personal experience. Because I know of another person who had the same exact trouble on his car. He is a very good friend from high school who I met a few weeks ago during our group reunion. He casually mentioned his complaints about his toyota to which I asked for more details.

Turns out he bought his toyota on the same year as I did, but get this. His car only has 18,000kms on it. Same symptoms (sluggishness, black smoke) and exact same diagnosis from Toyota Quezon Avenue , complete overhaul; where my friend spent in excess of 100k.

To get to the bottom of this I went back to the head mechanic of the auto shop I brought my car to. He used to work for Toyota and he said the people at toyota did admit to him of certain design flaws in the engine. Specifically he said that the oil pump of the car is too small and this is the main cause of engine failure. Since the oil pump is too small it cannot circulate the oil throughout the engine and as any mechanic knows, this will definitely cause the engine to need a premature overhaul.

He also said this doesn't just apply to the Toyota Altis but to all cars in their stable that has 1.6 and lower engines (Altis, Vios and the new one which I forget what its called) . Only the 1.8L Altis is said to be free from this defect.

So a word of warning to all potential car buyers out there. Just remember a brand name is just that, and is never a guarantee of quality.

• 1 month later...

Some of the observations here are applicable in the past. Yes, some Toyota Camry models produced in many Toyota plants accross the US were found to have some defective airbags. But that was then. My older bro's Toyota Sequoia (the biggest SUV in the world) never encountered any problem except with the usual fuel consumption which is obvious. My mid-sized Toyota SUV and sedan never encountered problems too.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

depende siguro sa casa yan. i've heard horror stories in Toyota Alabang.

however, I had very good experiences in Toyota Manila Bay and Toyota Bel-air.

Dito ako nagpapa pms which is kanina nag pa 10k ako. Mukhang ok naman, baka ung lumang TAI un kasi sa zapote road n ung bago since 2018. Mababait din ung service agent

• 10 months later...

Toyota Alabang in filinvest is ok, but the problem is they keep on adding useless things everytime I go for pms. The reason i go there for pms is for the warranty, because it's in the fine print that regular maintenance with them will make sure that any factory defect is not the owners fault. Just planned to go there for maintenance until the mileage is about 30k, around that mileage you are sure that there is no factory defect. Anyways, I had a problem with the wiper motor a year back, it was not working and went back there, of course they replaced it for free since it was under warranty. Infairness while waiting for the part to be available, i was contacted by my service advisor that the part has arrived, i thought they would forget about it but thankfully they remembered.

Edited by gcz79
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 8:07 AM, johnlove said:

If your vehicle has front and back aircon vents (ie avanza, innova), always turn them both on at the same time.  Never turn on only the front, and leave the back closed.  This would save you over 10k in repair bills in the future.

Bakit kaya?  Parati pa naman naka off ung ac sa back ksi wala naman umuupo almost always.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...