Classical Music

baboyboy

I remember once seeing a CD with the title Pachelbel's Greatest Hit and laughed my head off, seeing as it was an omnibus recording by various artists of Pachelbel's Canon in D Major, eight different versions of the same tune (original German title: Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur für drei Violinen und Basso Continuo) composed in or around 1680 (in the Baroque period) by Johann Pachelbel. For a full discussion on the ubiquity of this piece in modern culture follow this link: Canon in D - Wikipedia

For a fun treatment of this sleeper (hee-hee) hit click below:

or

Lim Jeong-Hyun - Rock Canon

The one who started all the buzz on the internet:

Jerry Chang - Canon Rock

or

Jerry Chang - Canon Rock

But if you browse here Banya - Wikipedia,

you'll find the motherlode.

• 2 weeks later...
anybody here interested in opera? if any of u saw the movie "mirror has two faces" by barbara streisand and jeff bridges ( really cheezy love story pero gusto ko pa din) barbara said " when u are in love u hear puccini" then at the ending comes nessun dorma from the opera turandot ( an aria always sung by pavarotti with a very strong melodic ending with the tenor hitting a very high note) hehehe sarap na pangdate movie hehehe.

uy, this is one of my favorite movies. i've bought the vcd twice but somehow it keeps getting lost even though i never lend it out. hmm, maybe there's a barbra streisand-loving ghost somewhere in the house. hay, nessun dorma! okay na soundtrack 'to a first kiss. i love how the music er, climaxes, at the end. pakiramdam ko sasabog ang puso ko. hehe! ^_^

hmm, i've been reading an article on this aria and i find it interesting that jeff bridges' character in the movie bears a strong resemblance to the character of turandot. if you're interested, you can find the article at http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb815.html.

OT: hey, kuya, haven't heard from you in a while. were you able to find that barbra streisand piece that i asked you about before, the one entitled "on my way to you"? i might need it for a wedding that i'll be attending in november. i'll pay you back na lang for the photocopying. ^_^

ingat lagi, kuya!

Edited by pussycatdoll
Is anyone here into Classical Guitar Music ... like John Williams, Segovia, Parkening, etc... ?

I've been trying for the longest time to find some classical guitar events here in Manila. Anyone have any ideas on where to look? Please PM me.

One may perhaps substitute for the paucity of live concerts, some excellent classical guitar DVDs.

This DVD is recommended as a very educational excursion into the 500-year history of the development of the Spanish guitar by foremost classical guitar exponent Julian Bream. It is presented in eight episodes:

1. The Golden Century

2. Courtly Dance - The Baroque Guitar

3. The Guitar in the Classical Period

4. Flamenco and the Romantic Guitar

5. Granados and Nationalism

6. Isaac Albeniz

7. The Guitar in the Twentieth Century

8. Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez

post-101504-1159540478.jpg

This second DVD features John Williams: The Seville Concert from The Royal Alcazar Palace

post-101504-1159541414.jpg

The playlist is as follows;

1. Isaac Albeniz - Sevilla (Sevillanas) from Suite espanola, Op. 47 (arr. John Williams)

2. Johann Sebastin Bach - Prelude from Lute Suite No. 4 in E major, BWV 1006a (arr. John Williams)

3. Domenico Scarlatti - Sonata in D Minor, K 213 (arr. John Williams)

4. Antonio Vivaldi - Concerto in D Major for Lute, 2 Violins and Basso continuo, RV 93

5. Yuquijiro Yocoh - Sakura Variations

6. Nikta Koshkin - Usher Waltz, Op. 29 - After Edgar Allan Poe

7. Isaac Albeniz - Asturias (Leyenda) from Suite espanola, Op. 47

8. Agustin Barrios Mangore - Sueno en la Floresta

9. Joaquin Rodrigo - Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez

10. The Film Profile

This next DVD contains two Christopher Nupen BBC documentaries on that giant of the classical guitar - Andres Segovia.

post-101504-1159542915.jpg

Andres Segovia at Los Olivos (1967) consists of mostly excerpts or background music while Segovia reminisces about his life and the history of the guitar.

1. La Maja de Goya, by Enrique Granados (arrangement Miguel Llobet, revised by A. Segovia).

2. Sarabande from Lute Suite I, BWV 996, by J.S.Bach (arranged by A. Segovia).

3. Gavotte en Rondeau, from Lute Suite IV, BWV1006A, and Violin Partita III BWV 1006, by J.S.Bach (arranged by A. Segovia).

4. Fandanguillo from 'Suite Castellana', by F.M.Torroba.

5. La Filla del Marxant ('The Merchant's Daughter'), a popular Catalonian song, arranged by Miguel Llobet.

6. Study Lesson 26 from 'The Complete Works for Guitar' Vol.2 page 52 (Chanterelle 802), by Dionisio Aguado.

7. Recuerdos de la Alhambra (music in background) by Francisco Tarrega.

8. La Arrulladora, Lullaby from Suite 'Platero and I' by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco.

9. Spanish Dance Nr.10-in G by Enrique Granados (arranged by Miguel Llobet, revised by A. Segovia).

10. La Maja de Goya (music in background), by Enrique Granados.

In The Song of the Guitar (1976), all the scores are performed in full by Andres Segovia.

1. Capricho Catalan, by Isaac Albeniz (arranged by Michael Lorimer, revised by A. Segovia).

2. La Maja de Goya, by Enrique Granados (arranged by Miguel Llobet, revised by A. Segovia).

3. Torre Bermeja, by Isaac Albeniz (arranged by A. Segovia).

4. Sonata KII.L352, by Domenico Scarlatti (arranged by A. Segovia).

5. Minuet from Suite 'Platee', by J.P. Rameau (arranged by A. Segovia).

6. Minuet in La, by Fernando Sor.

7. Baletto & Allegretto (Prelude), by J.M. Ponce.

8. Syudy Lesson 26 from 'The Complete Works for Guitar' Vol.2 page 52 (Chanterelle 802), by Dionisio Aguado.

9. Gavotte from Cello Suite VI, BWV 1012, by J.S. Bach (arranged by A. Segovia).

10. Prelude Op. 28 Nr. 7, by F. Chopin (arranged by F. Tarrega, revised by A. Segovia)

11. 1st Movement 'Allegro' of 'Sonatina', by F.M. Torroba (revised by A. Segovia).

12. Leyenda (Asturias) by I. Albeniz (arranged by A. Segovia).

13. El Noi de la Mare, popular Catalonian song (arranged by Miguel Llobet).

post-101504-1159646561.jpg

Forbidden Plays

Kazumi Watanabe & Shin-ichi Fukuda

This is a collaboration between a jazz guitarist and a classical guitarist.

The playlist:

1. Bronze

2. Etude No. 1 (Villa-Lobos)

3. Norwegian Wood (Lennon-McCartney)

4. Ave Maria (Gounod-Bach)

5. Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin, No. 3, BWV1006 (Bach)

6. The Fool On The Hill (McCartney)

7. Mission St. Xavier (Koko Tanikawa)

8. Romance de Amor (Traditional)

9. Once Upon A Time In America (Ennio Morricone)

10. Danza Ritual Del Fuego (Manuel de Falla)

Any recommendation on string quartet? I like the sound of music played by a group of string quartet. And also any recommendation on shows of string quartet group here in Manila?

there is a certain group named clarion ensemble i think... they have shows every two months ata... pero di lang pang string quartet, minsan chamber orchestra and iba iba pang chamber music. ill post thier next concert date pag me balita ako. syempre this is for strictly classical music. if u want to listen to pop music played by string instruments i suggest u go to hotel lobby's like manilapen, manila hotel etc.

Yo-Yo Ma - Inspired by Bach Vol. 1, The Music Garden / The Sound of the Carceri (Cello Suites 1 & 2) (1998)

"The Music Garden" (60 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 1 for Unaccompanied Cello. What if we created a garden inspired by Bach? In their quest for the answer, Yo-Yo Ma and garden designer Julie Moir Messervy journey from Boston to Toronto, across bureaucratic miles of frustration and through seasons of changing hope. Their remarkable tale is movingly documented by filmmaker Kevin McMahon. "The Sound of the Carceri" (55 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 2 for Unaccompanied Cello. Imagine Giovanni Piranesi's dazzling "carceri" (prison) etchings, the unrealized dreams of this 18th-century Italian master architect, brought to life in a computer-rendered 3-D "virtual" collaboration. In this cutting-edge film by Francois Girard, Yo-Yo Ma explores Bach's mysterious Second Suite, creating with his music a sound to match the invented spaces of our imagination.

post-101504-1160719447.jpg

Select Scene

2. Opening [3:31]

3. Act One: Prelude [5:48]

4. Prelude Performance [3:11]

5. Act Two: Allemande [5:50]

6. Allemande Performance [4:53]

7. Act Three: Courante [4:11]

8. Courante Performance [2:53]

9. Act Four: Sarabande [7:40]

10. Sarabande Performance [3:23]

11. Act Five: Minuett I & II [5:43]

12. Minuett Performance [4:31]

13. Act Six: Gigue [4:27]

14. Gigue Performance [3:44]

Select Scene

15. Introduction, With Thoughts From Yo-Yo [3:36]

16. Prelude [5:14]

17. Piranesi and His Architecture [1:22]

18. Yo-Yo's Interaction With His Environment [1:38]

19. Creating "A Venue That Doesn't Exist" [4:28]

20. Allemande and Courante [6:09]

21. Using the Hall [3:12]

22. Perceptions of Reality [4:36]

23. Sarabande [5:37]

24. Carceri and Bach's Second Suite [5:40]

25. Menuett I & II [3:09]

26. The Baroque Way [2:28]

27. The Trip [3:14]

28. Gigue [4:41]

Pachelbel's Canon is my favourite but like a lot of others - Mozart, Bach, Faure, Boccherini, Albinoni - too many to mention.

Used to give my Dad a hard time about listening to it when I was growing up but now really enjoy it myself.

Unlike a lot of bands that have a number 1 hit and then disappear most of these composers are timeless and their music will be played for centuries to come.

Yo-Yo Ma - Inspired by Bach Vol. 2, Falling Down Stairs / Sarabande (Cello Suites 3 & 4) (1998)

"Falling Down Stairs" (55 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 3 for Unaccompanied Cello. Although he knew the music well, Mark Morris had never thought to choreograph a dance based on Bach's "Third Suite." He felt the music was complete in itself. But through a close collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma, an astonishing dance emerges, a true three-way collaboration between musician, dancers and filmmaker Barbara Willis Sweete. "Sarabande" (56 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 4 for Unaccompanied Cello. A great musician instinctively builds a complex and intimate relationship with his listeners. This dramatic film from director Atom Egoyan (The Sweet Hereafter) explores a number of such relationships, revealing the generosity of spirit and love that flow from Yo-Yo Ma's performance.

post-101504-1160720019.jpg

Select Scene

1. Opening [2:47]

2. The Barn [2:08]

3. First Rehearsal [1:22]

4. Falling Down Stairs [2:42]

5. "I can actually do this" [1:34]

6. Scales vs. Arpeggios [2:17]

7. Yo-Yo attends a Dance Rehearsal [4:07]

8. The Stairs, part 1 [2:35]

9. Adding to the Music [3:33]

10. The Recording Session [1:40]

11. The Stairs, part 2 [3:15]

12. Spiritual Completion [3:50]

13. Prelude [3:42]

14. Allemande [3:33]

15. Courante [2:59]

16. Sarabande [4:46]

17. Bourree I & II [3:21]

18. Gigue [4:28]

Select Scene

19. Opening [2:37]

20. "Something Extra for Your Efforts" [2:02]

21. Confusion at the Airport [5:24]

22. Coughing Fit/First Examination [4:48]

23. An Explanation [2:23]

24. When You Listen to Music [2:40]

25. "What Kind of Smell?" [2:03]

26. Possible Routes [3:30]

27. A Private Piece [4:59]

28. Warming Up/A Note from the Doctor [2:10]

29. A Lesson on Passion and Focus [3:52]

30. "I don't see anything wrong" [2:13]

31. The Concert [11:00]

32. A Switch in Rhythm [1:31]

33. Gigue [4:50]

Yo-Yo Ma - Inspired by Bach Vol. 3, Struggle for Hope / Six Gestures (Cello Suites 5 & 6) (1998)

"Struggle for Hope" (55 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 5 for Unaccompanied Cello. Master Kabuki actor Tamasaburo Bando sets out on a journey to discover, through traditional Japanese dance, the universality and emotion of Bach's Fifth Suite. The result is this revelatory, cross-cultural and trans-oceanic collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma, sensitively documented by filmmaker Niv Fichman. "Six Gestures" (53 min.) features Bach's Suite No. 6 for Unaccompanied Cello. Bach and ice dance? Yo-Yo Ma believes that world champion ice dancers Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean have done for their sport what Bach did for the cello--that is, to dramatically redefine the artistic possibilities and to shatter all preconceptions. This mesmerizing film by Patricia Rozema (Mansfield Park) explores the outcome of this unlikely collaboration, with Bach himself as the dramatic counterpoint.

post-101504-1160720578.jpg

Select Scene

2. Opening [:21]

3. Some Introductory Thoughts [2:44]

4. Yo-Yo Sends a Message [3:06]

5. 1st Rehearsal [1:01]

6. "The second movement is difficult" [1:52]

7. Background and Family [4:22]

8. Home Movies From Yo-Yo's Concert [2:09]

9. Artistic and Personal Relationships [1:01]

10. Onnagata (Men Who Play Women) [1:02]

11. The Struggle for Hope [1:32]

12. A Message About the Sarabande [1:57]

13. The Recording Session [1:42]

14. Yo-Yo's Final Thought [2:48]

15. Ritual (Prelude and Fugue) [1:34]

16. Mourning (Allemande) [6:18]

17. Denial (Courante) [4:41]

18. Prayer (Sarabande) [2:02]

19. Dream (Minuettes) [3:25]

20. Reconcilliation (Gigue) [4:16]

Select Scene

21. Opening [2:49]

22. Act One: Prelude and Performance [1:59]

23. Act Two: Allemande [4:39]

24. Allemande Performance [2:41]

25. Act Three: Courante [8:04]

26. Courante Performance [3:04]

27. Act Four: Sarabande [4:01]

28. Sarabande Performance [1:33]

29. Act Five: Gavotte [9:00]

30. Gavotte Performance [1:13]

31. Act Six: Gigue [4:17]

32. Gigue Performance [1:20]

manny thanks for the info's. grabe ang knowledge mo about this stuff ha. check out ko tong ke yoyo ma. a cellist friend of mine told me he is considered as the best daw e. pero he also mentioned that in an interview daw yoyo ma was quoted as saying that there is one filipino cellist daw that he really respect. si chino bolipata. me mga cd ka ba nya? i heard this boilipata is a bit on the cuckoo side na nga lang ngayon. any info?

post-101504-1160848887.jpg

1. Sonata No.1 In G Major, BWV 1027: I. Adagio

2. Sonata No.1 In G Major, BWV 1027: II. Allegro Ma Non Tanto

3. Sonata No.1 In G Major, BWV 1027: III. Andante

4. Sonata No.1 In G Major, BWV 1027: IV. Allegro Moderato

5. Sonata No.2 In D Major, BWV 1028: I. Adagio

6. Sonata No.2 In D Major, BWV 1028: II. Allegro

7. Sonata No.2 In D Major, BWV 1028: III. Andante

8. Sonata No.2 In D Major, BWV 1028: IV. Allegro

9. Sonata No.3 In G Minor, BWV 1029: I. Vivace

10. Sonata No.3 In G Minor, BWV 1029: II. Adagio

11. Sonata No.3 In G Minor, BWV 1029: III. Allegro

12. Sinfonia Concertante In A Major For Violin, Violoncello And Orchestra: I. Andante Di Molto - Pinchas Zukerman

13. Sinfonia Concertante In A Major For Violin, Violoncello And Orchestra: II. Rondeau: Allegro Assai - Pinchas Zukerman

The Bach sonatas were originally composed for viola da gamba and were transcribed for cello. Harpsichord accompaniment was provided by Kenneth Cooper.

The Sinfonia Concertante is by Bach's youngest son, Johann Christian Bach. Accompanying Yo-Yo Ma are Pinchas Zukerman on violin and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra.

My funeral march should be the Ode to Joy, Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Coming attraction:

post-101504-1160853456.jpg

Ed Harris as Ludwig van Beethoven and Diane Kruger as Anna Holtz. This is a fictionalized account of the last years of Beethoven's life, when he produced his most spiritually uplifting music, including your favorite - Ode to Joy. Sir Anthony Hopkins gave the original impetus for the script, but eventually decided not to do the movie.