Greetings computer experts!

I have a linksys WRT54g router on the 5th floor of my unit and I'd like to extend the signal to the another unit at the 6th floor. Due to the constraints of the place Its unfeasible to place an extra router or repeater sa labas ng unit since baka manakaw lang yan at walang saksakan sa labas. I plan to use a 15 meter wifi extension cable connected to my router then put a 9db antenna in the end of the cable and just staple it sa ceiling. My question is will it be enough to boost my signal to the 6th floor estimating that after the setup the antenna is still about 10 feet (3 meters) away before reaching the unit at the 6th? or will the cable itself cause signal loss as it lengthens? or are there any other potential problems I face here?

Edited by Manilamen

mga router na cdr king hirap paganahin. may tatawagan para sa tech assistance mali pa rin yung mga instructions nila. yung papel na instruction kasama sa box mali din. bumili nalang ako ng linksys, plug and play halos ang dali paandarin. mas mahal lang konti

Bro i bought mine at CDR King for 600pesos. I experienced no prob.Connected all the time. But Im pretty sure wala talaga alam mga tech assist nila. They will tell you it's the ISP that has the problem & not their unit. If you are using smartbro, configure your pc's IP to AUTO and DHCP enabled at the router. Don't forget to put WEP security to prevent leeches nearby.

Greetings computer experts!

I have a linksys WRT54g router on the 5th floor of my unit and I'd like to extend the signal to the another unit at the 6th floor. Due to the constraints of the place Its unfeasible to place an extra router or repeater sa labas ng unit since baka manakaw lang yan at walang saksakan sa labas. I plan to use a 15 meter wifi extension cable connected to my router then put a 9db antenna in the end of the cable and just staple it sa ceiling. My question is will it be enough to boost my signal to the 6th floor estimating that after the setup the antenna is still about 10 feet (3 meters) away before reaching the unit at the 6th? or will the cable itself cause signal loss as it lengthens? or are there any other potential problems I face here?

Bro the problem that you have is that there is a concrete barrier in between floors. Hirap tumagos signal dyan. At kapag nilabas mo naman ang router baka nakawin. What I did on the same issue is that i connected the two routers with UTP cable. Use any port 1-4 to connect both. Yung isang router DHCP enabled (eto yung first router) and the extension should have disable DHCP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 1 year later...

pag po gusto ninyong mag extend ang signal ng router ninyo

option 1. yung antenna ng router ninyo pwede nyong palitan ng mas mahaba (9db antenna) screw type lang naman yun kadalasan (unless linksys na no external antenna)

option 2. gamit kayo ng 18bd Uni Directional Antenna para i extend and antenna

original wifi router -------cable--------concrete wall--------cable--------unidirectional antenna ))))) Laptop mo

option 3. Gamit ka ng Alfa external wifi antenna (alfa network naka USB). pwede siyang gamiting repeater or magiging antenna siya ng laptop mo na mas malakas. gamitin mo yung 9bd antenna nun (ito gamit ko sa laptop ko.hagip pati kapitbahay)

Alfa Network AWUS036H

Easy to install and use this high power usb wifi adaptor offers exceptional range and coverage with its 1000mw ouput power. Great for travelling and general wifi use where higher signal is needed.

Alfa Networks 1000mw USB Wifi Adaptor

802.11b and 802.11g, 13 Channels

Connects at a full 54Mbps via USB 2.0

Detachable 5dBi antenna with RP SMA connector

High security 64/128bit WEP Encryption, TKIP, WPA,

OS Support - Windows CE5.0,98SE,ME.200,XP, Vista, 7 <32 bit only>, Linux 2.6, Mac 10.3,10.4,10.5,10.6

https://www.thewifishop.net/wifi-wireless-network/long-range-usb/long-range-wifi-with-laptop-tablet-pc-ipad-or-iphone/prod_202.html

Antenna Type: Directional

Polarization: Vertical/Horizontal

Antenna Input: N-female

Frequency Band: 5.8GHz

Gain: 18dBi

Beamwidth - vertical: 40°

Beamwidth - horizontal: 40°

F/B ratio: 15dB

VSWR: 1.5

Weight: 1kg

Dimensions: 190x213x50mm

Mounting Type: Pole mount

http://www.signamax.eu/product_doc-AA081E081DF780D7C125730C0050F248.html

I hope this helps...

• 6 months later...

guys, can you please suggest router, preferably CDR king para mura,, merun akong PLDT home Bro.. thanks

imho... madami ng routers ngayon na at par sa price ng CDR-King routers na mas matibay and mas reliable.

punta ka sa octagon and look for Tenda, TPLink or even DLink routers.

may warranty ka pa.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

inquire lang po, kung anung magandang wifi router para sa pang bahay?

depende yan sa bahay mo.

would you be accessing the network wirelessly via walls? is the floor area big? for this you may need to have a dual band wifi router.

would you also be needing to print on a central location wirelessly, you may need to have a print server feature.

otherwise, a plain simple router will do. DLink, TPlink and LinkSys are ok.

i personally do not vouch for the CDRKing routers due to durability. I had one before and I had only used it for 6 months.

besides, firmware is questionable....

• 3 weeks later...

If you subscribe to a Globe or PLDT DSL, the modems they provide nowadays is quite a decent WiFi router naman na. Good enough to cover a 2-BR condo unit. If you have a bigger place (say, a mansion), then you could put additional Access Points or WiFi repeaters to cover the dead spots. Or you could look into power-line networking to save you the trouble of installing UTP cabling.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question lang mga sir: im planning to buy unlocked (openline) pocket wifi, anong klaseng sim ang puedeng gamitin for internet? Will any sim do? Sabi kasi sa smart ibanyung regular prepaid sim sa smartbro sim. And ibandin daw ang regular prepaid sim ng globe sa globe tattoo. Doest it mean na hindi talaga puede ang regular sim to subscribe for internet promos? Thanks!

Meron akong ZTE open-line pocket wifi. Although I use it only as a backup net access point, I put a prepaid LTE sim card from Smart when travelling to the province. Globe will also do the trick but if you travel outside Manila often, I find it from my own experience that Smart has a better coverage outside MNL.

The pure data sim cards of the telcos are different from the regular sim plans (postpaid and prepaid voice/text and data). There used to be a Php999 postpaid data plan, unlimited data but I see that this has been severely constrained lately by the FUP (fair-use policy) of the telcos now. They will now suggest that you go for the capped data plan (plans with data limits like 1.5GB, 3GB, etc.). The loading for the prepaid cards are also different, so you can just check with the sim vendor.

You may not need the pocket wifi if you already have a smartphone, as you can tether using this device. You can use the smartphone as a mobile hotspot.

The open-line pocket wifi becomes handy during travel abroad. Just buy a local data sim from the country of destination and you can have a mobile hotspot where you can do viber, facetime, internet, etc., without the cost of data roaming access from Globe or Smart.