Post Your Linux Questions Here

any reviews on ubuntu?

i'm getting a laptop in a couple of weeks and wanted to try out a fairly reliable linux-based OS.

I got an entry level Acer notebook PC without OS. Tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu but it hangs due to issues with the harware (ACPI and SATA). Reverted to Slackware 12.0 where I have full visibility and control.

Slackware is the best!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could install Microsoft Virtual PC, its downloadable via www.majorgeek.com. Emulate a Virtual Machine inside Windows XP the install Linux from there on...Just be reminded you're running 2 operating systems together so make sure you have a VERY BIG RAM and Hard Drive Space :thumbsupsmiley:

I would suggest WUBI.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Although you have to reboot to switch between OS.

If you don't want the hastle and you just want some of the daemons.

Try Cygwin.

http://www.cygwin.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Mas maganda pa rin kung, may mga mag se share ng knowledge nila d b? yung mga na experience nila in using linux

hindi kasi lahat nasa books. it is like experience is the best teacher.

peace.....

using linux is really too broad, from basic desktop, to servers, to networks, to implementing Apache, to firewalls, etc.. what specific areas would you like to learn? probably if you throw questions up in front, then someone can share his insights and experiences.

using linux is really too broad, from basic desktop, to servers, to networks, to implementing Apache, to firewalls, etc.. what specific areas would you like to learn? probably if you throw questions up in front, then someone can share his insights and experiences.

yah you're right. off course sa basic nman lahat nag uumpisa dba. d nman tau pwede sa advance. kung d dadaan ng basic.

hello sa inyo. i have different version ng linux. i can say addict ako sa linux. my 1st linux na nagamit ko is redhat 5. saka mandrake 6.0

now im using my laptop linux mandriva2007 nakadual boot sya.

anyway hindi ako programmer. mahilig lang ako magcomputer.

all i learn in linux was the theme of redhat way back nung asa pinas pa ako.

"In a world without fences who need Gates???"

wehehe patama yan kay Bill Gates. Kasi ang linux is nadidistribute sa internet so no boundaries at all dba.

mabuhay tayong mga linux users!!!!

hello sa inyo. i have different version ng linux. i can say addict ako sa linux. my 1st linux na nagamit ko is redhat 5. saka mandrake 6.0

wehehe patama yan kay Bill Gates. Kasi ang linux is nadidistribute sa internet so no boundaries at all dba.

:thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

I personally implemented a linux clustered router (+firewall serving 6 high traffic segments) back in 2003, using the theories from Ultra Monkey and the boxes are still doing their gob real well. But then that was 4 years ago and i think things has improved a lot.

I guess the most popular (and comprehensive? ) implem is the Linux High Availability Project.

been a while since i touched the subject :P

Hi! bro, mukhang me alam kna sa linux. bro pwede kba maging speaker. kung sakaling mka buo ng isang seminar about linux

nice one bro!!!

tanong ko lang anong laptop gamit mo?

tagal ka na sa UAE?

i recently bought this eeepc laptop for convenience sake and its size. I'm just at a lost on how to install mysql browser and mysql administrator so i can do my database thingy.

Also i wanted to install some other applications... anyone knows how to do this in a xandro distro?

I'm so tempted to format this and turn it into a ubuntu thing but that takes a lot of steps and time which unfortunately i don't have.

dunno if the following question still belongs to this thread, but i'll ask anyway... does anyone know where i can study linux systems administration and/or linux network administration? i tried inquiring from meralco institute inc (MFI) but wala pa silang sched. i also tried blue point foundation pero wala rin silang sched for total linux. total linux reload lang, which is an update course to total linux.

i'd really appreciate all the help. thanks in advance! :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm planning to install Linux on a secondary hard drive... is REDHAT better than SLACKWARE ?

Anyway, why you're not replying to my text message regarding the 160GB SATA HDD that I'd like to buy ? :huh:

I need it ASAP coz I have some projects to do... Just tell me if there's no longer any available stocks so I can get from another source... Tnx... :hypocritesmiley:

I do see Redhat easier to use compared to Slackware, along with it's package managers...

Stable din naman ang applications na napapatakbo sa Redhat...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh by the way ano pala mga linux friendly laptops

Dude I have a dell xps M1730 and an ASUS EEE PC.

Triple boot on the Dell:

Win xp (with Cygwin for ssh)

Kubuntu with Beryl

Fedora Core

ASUS EEE PC:

Xbuntu

default Asus OS

So each laptop may nababagay na distro ng linux.

Though laptop that gave me the most trouble when I tried to install Linux was an older HP system.

It has been a while, since I have avoided HP and Compaq like plague for the past few years hehehe

Just had to many issues I don't hate HP I just had a bad experience with cs.

i recently bought this eeepc laptop for convenience sake and its size. I'm just at a lost on how to install mysql browser and mysql administrator so i can do my database thingy.

Also i wanted to install some other applications... anyone knows how to do this in a xandro distro?

I'm so tempted to format this and turn it into a ubuntu thing but that takes a lot of steps and time which unfortunately i don't have.

Had similar problems before. But fixed it by installing xbuntu on the device.

Got some debian packages to work in xandros though.

Open debian package using Xandros file manager. If you are using rpm convert it to .deb first using alien. Mas madali ang migration from .deb since it seems xandros was based on deb.

So say you have a deb package called mysql-query-browser_1.1.6-1sarge0_i386.deb

Open the package using xandros file manager. The file manager can open the .deb archive.

Create a folder called "mysql-query-browser_1.1.6-1sarge0_i386" (preferable on your desktop)

The structure of a .deb file is that it has 2 folders DEBIAN and CONTENTS

From the Xandros file manager copy the whole DEBIAN folder into the folder you created. Then go inside CONTENTS and copy everything inside the folder in to the folder you created.

So the structure of the folder would be it would only have one folder called DEBIAN then all the files from the CONTENTS folder from the archive is just inside the main directory that you created.

Then go the the directory where you created the folder.

If you created it in your desktop "cd /home/(your username)/Desktop/"

Then type dpkg -b (name of the folder)

in this example dpkg -b mysql-query-browser_1.1.6-1sarge0_i386

it would rebuild the package for xandros.

From there you can install the package directly.

Down side is you might need to do the same process on the libraries hehehe