Post Your Linux Questions Here

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

dudes question for linux users...

my friend has been telling me how good it is... can i replace mywin xp sp2 os with it and still have the same ease of use? have no real good background about it, how bout networking and internet? may nagsabi pa sakin di masyadong demanding sa resources ang linux...

is it really that good? kasi kung ok cya talaga then it should be worth considering...i also do some programming at times, will i encounter any problems like using vb6 and such?

tnx in advance... :)

my friend has been telling me how good it is... can i replace mywin xp sp2 os with it and still have the same ease of use? have no real good background about it, how bout networking and internet? may nagsabi pa sakin di masyadong demanding sa resources ang linux...

is it really that good? kasi kung ok cya talaga then it should be worth considering...i also do some programming at times, will i encounter any problems like using vb6 and such?

I suggest you do some more reading before you switch to linux ... it's very different from what you're used to ...

If you know how to utilize Linux' features, you'll find it very reliable and efficient.

I suggest you do some more reading before you switch to linux ... it's very different from what you're used to ...

If you know how to utilize Linux' features, you'll find it very reliable and efficient.

I'm planning to install Linux on a secondary hard drive... is REDHAT better than SLACKWARE ?

Anyway, why you're not replying to my text message regarding the 160GB SATA HDD that I'd like to buy ? :huh:

I need it ASAP coz I have some projects to do... Just tell me if there's no longer any available stocks so I can get from another source... Tnx... :hypocritesmiley:

Guest Leviticus
which one is better "debian" or "ubuntu"?

am planning to resurrect my vintage desktop.

tia!

vintage desktop? mga range ng p3? go for debian. ubuntu makain kasi ng memory during the initial installation, lalo na kung version 6 na ang install mo. you need a ver. 5 for p3 units (with 128 RAM).

go for a redhat system for old computers; mga version 9 or fedora linux version 3 and 4.

how about suse 9.3? have you tried? maganda ang development ng suse beginning with version 10.2. actually, if you've handled Vista may pagkahawig ang 10.2 suse.

dami ko na nasabi. hehehe..

eto ang pinakareminisent.. try mo maghanap and install LINDOWS (a now defunct Linspire version). hahaha.. dami mga alalala ko dyan. also try mo bayanihan 3.1 (this is actaully Fedora core 3).

Edited by Leviticus
  • 3 weeks later...

suggest you try linux on a Live-CD to get the feel.

CHHERS!!!

• 3 weeks later...
regarding the same off-site server...

is it possible to do a fresh remote install of ubuntu?

It's possible. How?

I-mount ang installer from remote server hehe

Maraming issue ang pwede mangyayari, and am letting the gurus to Bring Them On!

My complex conceptions of the question:

1. The target unit has a raw hardisk:

Do pxelinux

1st The server is enabled to broadcast dhcp reaching clients

2nd Get server a tftpboot ready with your design

I haven't tried booting from lan/Legacy lan (am still curious about), so suggesting...

3rd Etherboot - not boot from lan but rather get boot data from lan. So kelangan parin cd, diskette o kaya program prom sa NIC

Tftpboot as designed contains the installation program itself. Then just run setup; kaya kaya?

4th Or rather, mount the installation source path and then run setup.

May lamang tatakbo slackware installation, it runs on most machine konti hardware issues na aasikasuhin. At dba meron itong manual na manual na interface pati packages pwede madetalye - which is a must do practice and best for users to familiarize gnu-linux hehe

2. Remote, like www:

1st thing is I don't know hehe try same concept above

May isa pang paraan pero related lang ng konti:

1st Generate an image of a fresh installation of Ubuntu saved on the server

2nd On the target unit, import restoration of image content to target unit's harddrive with specs equivalent to the image source's unit

Hope to be of help :)

help nmn about linux. ano b difference ng server at desktop ng ubuntu? ndownload ko kc un unbuntu 7.10 na desktop. nburn ko n din. ang prob is paginiinstall ko na wat b pipiliin? ung start or install unbuntu or ung install with drivers update? saka bkt ayaw gumana nung mouse pagininstall ko ung unbuntu using start or install unbuntu.. di din kc ngtuloy ung pagiinstall ko hanggang 82 percent lng cya. help nmn po.

sir ano difference nung ubuntu sa kubuntu? ska hlos lhat b ng programs ng ngrrun sa XP mgrrun din sa Ubuntu? how bout games? Lan and On-line? mgrrun b cya sa ubuntu?

Basically its just the desktop ang difference nila. They basically have the same structure. Ubuntu uses GNOME while Kubuntu uses KDE.

All windows application wont run on Ubuntu unless you use a 3rd party application to run them inside Ubuntu. Say CrossOver Office, Wine, etc...

But reminders this is still experimental and experience-wise hard to set up. If plan to switch to Ubuntu you must learn to use its programs.

No Windows as much as possible.

You can however open MS Office files created inside Ubuntu w/ OpenOffice.

Basically what you can do is find counterpart application of Ubuntu that matches MS Windows.

I've been using Linux for 3 years and believe me the 1st months was no picnic..but was worth it..makes my machine mo stable since I don't have viruses.

Yun nga lang games and other apps I still use Windows.

Even here in my office I installed the laptop issue to me, with Ubuntu as my base/host OS and I just emulate Windows from time to time when I need it.

So far no crash at all ako in my computing. Portable pa Windows OS ko hehehehe :thumbsupsmiley:

Sorry for this post! Please disregard this post- answers are already given in the other Linux thread! Many thanks to the people who use Linux and post here!

---------------

Sirs,

I've been using Ubuntu for 11 months now. So far no problems, except for changing macros in Excel to suit OpenOffice, and that Pivot tables don't work with OpenOffice.

A few weeks ago, an upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 came up. I tried installing, but some files were missing/couldn't be found during download, and the upgrade failed. Has the upgrade been fixed? Is it safe to upgrade now?

Also, the screen resolution is set to maximum of 1024x768, and there are no more higher options. How can I increase the screen resolution? Sayang yung laki ng monitor, e.

Hope to hear/read your replies soon. Thanks!

---------------------

Edited by floppydrive