Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

PLDT DSL so far the best

Been having intermittent problems with PLDT DSL these past weeks. I can get an IP from their DHCP server and I can ping their gateway, but I cannot ping any external IPs or domains. Whenever I have this problem, I've even tried renewing the IP and I still can't acces external IPs. And then after an hour or so.. problem's gone.

A-holes from support keep giving me stupid suggestions like restarting,etc. and once they sent a support guy to investigate. How the hell is the guy supposed to trace what's wrong if the connection is currently good? Only way was for them to run some remote diagnostics during the time that I have this issue... but alas, the technical guys who can do this is NEVER really available to those that actually answer the calls.

Also, it appears that the DSL connection gets cut off after some idle time period. There have been cases where I stepped out for a while and when I came back, I had to re-login to the stupid MyDSL page again. What I do to workaround is always leave a ping -t command infinitely running so it is never idle.

On the average, I still get a 100+ kbps speed from internetfrog.com so I'm pretty much ok with PLDT. Only problem is support. PLDT has always been lousy with support.

PLDT DSL so far the best

not all connection bro.... I got a Computer shop for almost a year now and their connections keeps on dropping. Also their SERVICE SUCKS their support cant figure out whats the real problem. The worst happened last january where in almost everyday i got a disconnection (as you know at the internet cafe disconnection is a no no especially to those custumer playing online games) I imediately reported it yet until now their techncian doesnt shows up to fix my problem!!!!!

If there is a PLDT employee here sorry bout it but hope you understand my situation if theres available Cable broadband conection here im willing to trash PLDT DSL or even GLOBE Broadband I might considered a 2nd option rather than PLDT DSL!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it really depends on the user. Cable, looks faster but this would be because data is sent out in large chunks and not in a continuous flow like that of DSL.

If its going to be used solely for downloading ang browsing the net, then you might be ok with Cable. But if you will be playing online games I suggest going DSL. Using cable internet with online games causes the games to lag even if you have a fast cable connection speed.

Hope this helps. As for me, MyDSL pa ren. Swerte ko lang siguro maganda yung area ko kaya walang problema ever since connection :thumbsupsmiley:

I guess it really depends on the user. Cable, looks faster but this would be because data is sent out in large chunks and not in a continuous flow like that of DSL.

If its going to be used solely for downloading ang browsing the net, then you might be ok with Cable. But if you will be playing online games I suggest going DSL. Using cable internet with online games causes the games to lag even if you have a fast cable connection speed.

Hope this helps. As for me, MyDSL pa ren. Swerte ko lang siguro maganda yung area ko kaya walang problema ever since connection  :thumbsupsmiley:

Then i guess you are one of the luckiest people in metro manila. Lahat ng kakilala ko with MyDSL complain about the speed and connection. sobrang olats pati customer support. I also use MyDSL, and i have problems connecting to websites, kahit active yung connection. Hopefully the DSL service will improve in time. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i plan to downgrade next month sa plan 999.

I've also downgraded from PLDT DSL's plan 1500 to plan 999. Looking back, I wish I haven't done that co'z the savings so far have not outweighed the poor service I've experienced and continue experiencing. First off, when I applied for a 999 connection last December, they will first require you to either pay a "Downgrade fee" of Php3500 or have your existing Plan terminated. So I chose the 2nd option since I thought that paying a downgrade fee is really outrageous. After termination, which includes surrendering the old modem and cables that they provided, I applied for the 999 service. During that time, I was informed that the 999 promo was over subscribed and they had to either wait for someone to cancel an existing subscription or wait for PLDT to open new lines. It took about 3 weeks before they finally installed my 999 connection. Other than the decreased bandwidth, I've experienced random disconnections usually every a few hours of continous use. Worse, there have been days that it was just seemed impossible to connect to their servers. Being an online gamer, I dread those days when I can't show up to go online because my connection is down.

Today, random disconnections still occur but I don't complain that much anymore co'z I'm too busy at work and do not use my home connection that often. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". Poor as it goes, I think that it is still way a lot better than using dial-up.

It seems there is some confusion here... the topic it self needs corrections...

Cable Broadband and DSL is one and same thing. DSL is Broadband.

Maybe the question should be Cable (coaxe) or copper wire or wifi........they are simply the way broadband is connected or delivered to you, it the type of hiway where data are transmitted.

As w/c is better,

Cable basically uses Coaxial cables wherein both audio/video transmission and internet or broadband passes thru. Cable is more reliable and faster as of now in some location. Coaxe cable has less resistance than copper wire. only downside is, it has to have signal amps for every so distance to maintain signal quality. It is also faster because there are still less subscriber.

Copperwire has a different problem altogether. There are some location that has good service delivery. Could due, outside facility or the wires that you see dangling on post are new, you are near to node, less than 5 kilometers or less subscriber using the same node.

Some location are not so lucky, thats the reason for slow speed, intermittent or frequent downtime.

Wifi or wireless uses different delivery system, simple w/o wires... (wireless nga eh) hehehe...

My answer to this question is it depends!! so if your choosing, ask around the nieghborhood, whose getting better service. then subscribe to it, chances are you get same service.

BTW, if you choose copper or even cable, bantayan nyo ang mag iinstall to make sure they use brand new cables or copper wire. Baka gamitin nila yung mga lumang nakasabit na sa poste... patay kayo dyan...

gimik ng mga installer yan to earn extra from the unused cable or copper wire.

ok ba smart bro???

depending on your location, and number of subscribers using the same base station that you will be homed to. If your a smart user, check your signal if you have a full bar and consistent..not intermittent. If possible verify air distance of smart cell site from your location. the nearer the better. If you go for this, check if the antenna is facing directly to the base station. Hindi nakatalikod o nakatagilid. Pano? tanong nyo lang sa installer, chance are kita nyo ang base or cell site from your rooftop. wag kayo payag kung me harang na bldg or anything. It works on Line of Sight. maaring tumagos sa harang but mahina na ang signal pag dating sa you. Kailangan kita or else..patay ka ....

You can also go PLDT MYDSL, marami nga lang unknown. How far are you from the main node, condition of the outside plant facility. kung pldt pone subs subscriber ka, madalas bang mawalan ka ng dialtone o laging masama ang signal mo? if Yes, forget it you'll have problems w/ connection same kung malayo ka ng masyado sa node. Just ask PLDT rep if your location is 5 kilometers or less from node. kaya lang meron ka pang iisipin kung maayos pa ang mga nagpapansitang mga telephone cable sa lugar nyo.

And if your not a pldt pone subscriber and or sabihin kakabitan ka ng new copperwire or drop wire. Bantayan mo yung nagkakabit or installer. Make sure brand new and kakabit na lines sa you. If you can watch them install from your place up to the telephone post terminal better. And if they will use more that one role or 150 meters..might as well cancell, sasakit din lang ang ulo mo. Because aside na me dugtong na ang wire, it means lalayo ka na sa terminal malamang mahina din and speed mo....

same to all copper wire line based DSL provider.... watch them install... baka gamitin nila eh yung mga lumang wire na nakabitin sa poste, galing sa mga disconnected subscriber. yari ka dun! hehehe..

i've already check the aky cable broadband but i'm not really interested with them..... kasi may limit and yung 1600k na plan up to 384 lang..... so parang ndi ako in favor :(

about the bayantel naman... heard na okey daw yung service and yung cust care nila..... but bad for me hindi daw available sa area namin yung service nila..... haaaayyyyyy..... :(

ok naman ang bayantel DSL wala naman akong problema sa connection its dependable.

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 cent contribution to this discussion

DSL uses a sophisticated modulation scheme to pack data onto copper wires. DSL is sometimes referred to as a last-mile technology because it is used only for connections from a telephone switching station to a home or office, not used between switching stations. DSL is also called an always on connectionm because it uses existing 2-wire copper telephone line connected to the premise and will not tie up your phone as a dial-up connection does.

ADSL is the most commonly deployed types of DSL. Short for asymmetric digital subscriber line ADSL supports data rates of from 1.5 to 9 Mbps when receiving data (known as the downstream rate) and from 16 to 640 Kbps when sending data (known as the upstream rate). ADSL requires a special ADSL modem.

Two other types of DSL technologies are High-data-rate DSL (HDSL) and Very high DSL (VDSL). VDSL offers fast data rates over relatively short distances - the shorter the distance, the faster the connection rate.

Through the use of a cable modem you can have a broadband Internet connection that is designed to operate over cable TV lines. Cable Internet works by using TV channel space for data transmission, with certain channels used for downstream transmission, and other channels for upstream transmission. Because the coaxial cable used by cable TV provides much greater bandwidth than telephone lines, a cable modem can be used to achieve extremely fast access to the Web

The topic of "which is better and faster" has been a highly debated topic, and still there doesn't appear to be a clear winner. DSL offers users a choice of speeds ranging from 144 Kbps to 1.5Mbps. Cable modem download speeds are typically up to 2 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL, but the reason there is no clear speed winner is because cable technology is based on shared bandwidth, with many factors influencing a users download speed. With shared bandwidth the speed fluctuates depending on the number of subscribers on the network. With DSL, the connection is yours and not shared, and you tend to have a more constant speed. This is one reason why cable Internet providers don't often publish speed information.

Both DSL and cable Internet speeds are largely dependant on the service provider and either the distance away from the switching station you are or how many subscribers are in your immediate area.

In "perfect" conditions, cable download speeds are up to 2 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL speeds, Which is roughly 50 times faster than 28.8K Modem.

My choice...

I go for DSL simply because its a better choice for me. (No cable internet in my area. But even if I had, I still would go for the DSL. I'm not a sucker for an "all-in-one" type service. Having them from separate providers ensures that I have cable even if DSL provider goes down and vice versa.

My choice...

I go for DSL simply because its a better choice for me. (No cable internet in my area. But even if I had, I still would go for the DSL. I'm not a sucker for an "all-in-one" type service. Having them from separate providers ensures that I have cable even if DSL provider goes down and vice versa.

A very informative article sir. Thank you very much!!!

• 2 weeks later...