Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my internet connection at home from dialup to any of the broadband services available in the market. So far, I've narrowed my choice down to two: mydestiny's cable broadband and PLDT's myDSL.

Please let me know what you think of the two services: which is better, how's the customer service, how reliable is the connection, etc. Your feedback is appreciated.

If you're considering cable internet, you have to determine whether there are many cable subscribers in your area. Pag marami, you are better off with DSL. The allocated Cable Internet bandwidth is shared among subscribers. The more subscribers, the slower your internet connection. When I got mine installed, Destiny made the assurance that I will get double the speed of dial up. I am getting much more than that because there are only a few subscribers in our area.

If DSL, the consideration is the distance of your place from their Station (I do not know the technical term). The nearer your place, the faster your internet connection. Unless you are given a dedicated line. I hope this helps.

great inputs guys. lalo na ngayon, destiny has a 500 peso promo. 500 pesos yung first two months for unlimited connection. after nun it's regular rate at 1688. not bad pa rin considering that 6000+kbps (equivalent ba to sa 6mbps?)! :boo: wow!! i'm not sure though if there are a lot of destiny dsl subscribers in my area.

how about pldt's dsl-wireless? i was looking into smart's wireless dsl in another thread and most of the posts are rants. considering that smart and pldt are sister companies, baka pareho lang ang maging experience ko!

if 1000kb = 1mb, you would suppose so. but that doesn't mean you'll be downloading mp3 files in less than a second. realistically, the fastest you'd be able to download off any website would only be about 700kbps. the normal rate is around 300kbps, while the slowest would be around 100kbps. remember, you can only download as fast as the computer you're leeching from can upload!

here's my speed test from www.nyc.speakeasy.net .i even managed to exceed my ISP's advertised download speed! :D

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/5377/speedtest2fh.jpg

If you're considering cable internet, you have to determine whether there are many cable subscribers in your area.  Pag marami, you are better off with DSL.  The allocated Cable Internet bandwidth is shared among subscribers.  The more subscribers, the slower your internet connection. When I got mine installed, Destiny made the assurance that I will get double the speed of dial up.  I am getting much more than that because there are only a few subscribers in our area.

If DSL, the consideration is the distance of your place from their Station (I do not know the technical term).  The nearer your place, the faster your internet connection.  Unless you are given a dedicated line. I hope this helps.

Both statements are correct, though cable broadband is more expensive than DSL. I've been using cable broadband since the mid 90's and I never had any big problem except when the original co. was taken over by another co.

You're better off with cable broadband because most likely there are less cable broadband user in your area because it is more expensive.

If I had the resources... I'd definitely go for cable... thing is... I hardly use my pc at home and most of the time I only use it on weekends... or if I have insomnia attacks :lol:

But with my schedule I got DSL... since I hardly have time surfing & browsing at home... which I can definitely do here at work where we have a T1 line...

So it all goes down to what you can pay... and how frequently you're gonna use it...

nice thread, nag-iisip din kasi ako kumuha ng broadband connection para dito sa bahay.

medyo mahal yata ang cable, lalo na ngayon may promo yung PLDT na 999 lang monthly. di na rin masama, lalo na kung para sa bahay lang di ba?

Edited by dodong_79
  • 5 weeks later...

Good day! I am a Bayantel DSL subscriber (896 kbps) here in Novaliches, QC and will be moving to Pasig by next month (Bgy. Kapitolyo). I am really satisfied with my current provider as I have not experienced downtime since 3 months ago. The connection is solid and the speed is very stable. I would like to ask those with broadband connections in the Pasig / Kapitolyo area to give feedback regarding their broadband service. I really do not want to part with BayantelDSL, but it is inevitable. I have heard a lot of rants about PLDT DSL as well as the other providers there, but what is important is what the people in that area experience first hand. My currend UL bandwith is around 640 kbps (around 80Kbps upload speed max).

I would definitely love to have service which is comparable to the one that I have right now. Your insights and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA! Smile

• 4 weeks later...
If you're considering cable internet, you have to determine whether there are many cable subscribers in your area.  Pag marami, you are better off with DSL.  The allocated Cable Internet bandwidth is shared among subscribers.  The more subscribers, the slower your internet connection. When I got mine installed, Destiny made the assurance that I will get double the speed of dial up.  I am getting much more than that because there are only a few subscribers in our area.

If DSL, the consideration is the distance of your place from their Station (I do not know the technical term).  The nearer your place, the faster your internet connection.  Unless you are given a dedicated line. I hope this helps.

With DSL the distance of your location to the central only place a role if you are near the maximum distance allowed ... beside the fact that it also relies on the quality of the cable between your location and the central. Closer by doesn't automatically means you'll get a higher speed as most DSL connections are capped of at a certain speed. So whlie the theoretical maximum goes down the farther you'll get from the central, it doesn't mean you will not get the speed from your subscription.

DSL is also shared, but generally you won't notice it as much compared to cable, cause its not the line from your house to the central that is shared but the line from central to your ISP. What they will do is they will overbook a certain connection from the central to the ISP router. The overbook ratio depends on your subscription but can be anything from 2 to 40 (or even higher). Lets say the line from central to ISP has a bandwidth of 50 Mb and a overbook ratio of 10, that means they can sell 500 subscription of 1 Mb/s attached to that one central. As most users won't be surfing at the same time you'll not notice it.

The sharing among cable users in your area is easier to notice because you’re sharing among a smaller group of users. That’s why, if you got a few heavy users in your area you’re better of with DSL.

reading your notes here...... makes me feel pity for myself..... :( :( :(

i'm using a smart wifi connection now and boy smart really stinks!!! :thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley: all along i'm only getting 54-57 kbps...... and the worse is, right now i have no connection!!!! oh!!! great!!! and plus smart cust-cars sucks..... i've been constantly calling them for almost 2weeks and wala pa din nangyayayri.... parating may palusot...... they say that i need to wait for the higher tech support to contact me..... yeah right!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:

anyways, maybe i'll just gonna disconnect my smart wifi and go with the cable connection....... :cool: :cool:

oh!! by the way... anyone knows the website for my destiny cable??? :unsure: or contact no. maybe... :cool: