Pc's Open 24/7

is it ok for home desktops or pc's to be open at an average of lets say 6 days a week? ung tipong walang pahinga. iniiwan lang bukas kapag kakain, tapos iiwan din bukas kpg matutulog na dahil may tinatapos na madownload. basta palaging bukas ung pc. ok lng b or madaling masira? ano naman ang unang massira? need your opinions here...tnx...

First thing that will probably fail are the fans on the PSU, then probably either the CPU or video cooling fans. Next to fail will be the hard disks, since they're almost always kept spining. In the office, we've had to replace 5 PSUs because of the fans failing, and they all happened within 3 months. If you've got a brand new PC, you shouldn't worry too much. The parts will usually last around 16 months before the fans start to fail.

computers namin sa office bihira namin patayin.

COMPAQ server namin since 1998 less than 20x pa siguro pinapatay.

its all about proper ventilation i think. just make sure na walang sagabal doon sa area ng kanyang exhaust fan.

an AVR would be helpful as well para sa power surges. mahal UPS saka since home use lang naman no need.

i have my linux box open 24/7. and yes it is open, without the desktop cover. can't afford ako mag aircon 24/7 kaya tinanggal ko na lang yung cover. yung casing naman only has a 100watt powersupply so di gaano magastos sa kuryente :P

firewall/NAT box ko to, but then i surf and download torrents off this box :lol:

i have my linux box open 24/7. and yes it is open, without the desktop cover. can't afford ako mag aircon 24/7 kaya tinanggal ko na lang yung cover. yung casing naman only has a 100watt powersupply so di gaano magastos sa kuryente :P

firewall/NAT box ko to, but then i surf and download torrents off this box  :lol:

:D pare ako rin gawain ko din yan kasi we can't afford to buy aircon and its so expensive pa sa kuryente. I think dapat may proper ventilation PC mo para tumagal yang PC mo even it is open for 24 hours :unsure: . Nakakasira rin din kasi ung alikabok at dust sa PC, if you can's afford to buy aircon linisan mo na lang lagi ung PC mo sa pamamagitan ng blower para matanggal ung mga dust but be careful because delicate din ang parts ng computer huwag punasan ng basa or matuluan ng basa :rolleyes: . Nangyari na nga sa cousin ko na habang nililinis niya ang kanyang PC natuluan ng pawis ung motherboard niya kaya un palit siya agad.hehehehehehehehehe!!! :huh: the best way pa din na patayin or give your PC some rest because it save a lot of energy... :D

depends on what type of pc unit you have... kung mga server class "mission critical" blah blah ....i guess these units are designed for extended operation... basta importante yung environment ng pc... good ventilation (air conditioned if possible) will lessen load on the hardware...

best to have a back up unit... at least you can alternate to the other from time to time.... companies nowadays have back up systems in other areas in case of disaster....

always a good idea to give the unit some down time once in a while....

Kung home pc, maaring masira nga agad. Lahat naman dadaan sa normal wear and tear. Even yung mga nasa controlled environment. Yun nga lang mas mabilis ang deteriration ng mga pc's na minemaintain sa bahay kesa sa mga nasa opisina.

Better to savor it while it lasts.

a ok...so any safety precautions sa mga pc's na palaging nakabukas?...tulad ng skn...

NOPE although Pc's has computer ventilation or if u have proper ventilation....dont be like stupid american cust that i handle that they leave their system 24/7 na wlang patayan pagbalik nila blue screen error. Its proven Im a tech and it doesnt matter if its well ventilated it can help but it work all the time. :grr:

is it ok kng i have an 1 intake fan and 2 outtake na fan may isang nakatutok na electric fan sa cpu?...kahit walang aircon?....how will you know if you have a proper ventilation for your comp?....

Best way to verify if your ventilation is OK is to check the CPU running temp. Most motherboards have a program included with the board (usually in the installation CD) that can report the board temp. If the CD is not available, search tucows.com for a utility that can report it. The CPU should be running around 50C. The cooler the temp, the longer the CPU will last. If your CPU temp is around 60C, better change your CPU fan, or improve the casing exhaust.

If you overclock your unit, better check this right away. The higher the running speed, the greater the need for proper cooling.

Hope this helps.

:D  pare ako rin gawain ko din yan kasi we can't afford to buy aircon and its so expensive pa sa kuryente. I think dapat may proper ventilation PC mo para tumagal yang PC mo even it is open for 24 hours :unsure: . Nakakasira rin din kasi ung alikabok at dust sa PC, if you can's afford to buy aircon linisan mo na lang lagi ung PC mo sa pamamagitan ng blower para matanggal ung mga dust but be careful because delicate din ang parts ng computer huwag punasan ng basa or matuluan ng basa :rolleyes: . Nangyari na nga sa cousin ko na habang nililinis niya ang kanyang PC natuluan ng pawis ung motherboard niya kaya un palit siya agad.hehehehehehehehehe!!!  :huh:  the best way pa din na patayin or give your PC some rest because it save a lot of energy... :D

In one shop that does wedding videos what I saw them do was that they removed the side panel of the computer casing then they had fabricated a frame and attached a plastic screen. The frame is attached to the PC casing via velcro-sticky tape thingies.

Kung home pc, maaring masira nga agad. Lahat naman dadaan sa normal wear and tear. Even yung mga nasa controlled environment. Yun nga lang mas mabilis ang deteriration ng mga pc's na minemaintain sa bahay kesa sa mga nasa opisina.

Better to savor it while it lasts.

...set up powersaver mode for monitor and hard disk

... close websites that are loading things like ads as they will intermittently load things which in turn may cause the hard disk to spin thereby negate the powersaver mode.

... LCD monitor probably draws less power than a standard monitor.

ano kaya mas tipid?...magdamag nakabukas ang pc dahil may dinadownload using 256kbps? or kahit hindi magdamag...pero ang connection naman ay 1mbps?..watcha think people?....

Depends on the size of your downloads and how often you download... and the cost of electric bill vs. cost of internet access cost. Unless you are a "dl wh0re" who will have a definite need for speed a 256kbps connection is good enough for most uses. Just make sure that the upload speed is also fast enough otherwise it will affect things like when you do online gaming or video chats.

Eg. Destinut Kibol which has 512 dl but the ul speeds that I get rarely go over 100kbps. :thumbsdownsmiley:

As for me, am already using a 1Mbps dl access speed... as my choices were either that or dial up. The laptop sometimes stays on for 2 days straight so I can't say that the connection saves me any.. :)

-you should turn the monitor off to save a LOT of power.

-take off the side panels of your unit but make sure no rats or ants will go in to chew the wires.

-install a casing fan

-don't overclock

-avoid putting useless cards inside that crowd the space and limit airflow

-tie the wires and cables properly to get optimum airflow

-check that the pc is not on fire at least once a day.

I also read in the extremetech threads... that those ramchips with heat spreaders don't really do any benefit although there was one modder who had 80mm fans set up to suck the air from his RAM. Maybe in his case the heat spreaders have a benefit but how many of us will mod-savvy enough to do something similar? ;)