Ang alam ko is to bring your latest bill (since nadoon na rin ang history ng consumption mo) and a letter requesting for a meter calibration check.

good reasons would be

a) I have no new appliances yet my consumption rose

B) I unplugged all my appliances and the meter is still running

etc

meralco (maybe) will send someone to check on your electrical system first, before they pull out your meter.

thanks so much robbie. merry christmas to MTC!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres my general contributions:

1) To those who would like to renovate the house and do the rewiring works. The best advice I can give you, is get the services of a qualified electrical engineer. So that he will be able to evaluate your needs and design a safe and reliable system for you that conforms with the provisions of the national electrical code. The problem in our country is we allow achitect to design the electrical system as well. This is not a good practice, no matter how experienced he is there are things that only the electrical engineer knows. So get the services of a qualified engineer during the design and actual supervision of the house wiring.

2) GROUNDING: There are two types of grounding or earthing. The first one is system grounding. The other is equipment grounding. System grounding is used by electric cooperative. wherein one line is hot line connected to the phase and the other is grounded in multiple points. MERALCO uses the line to line system, meaning the power supply is coming from 2 phases of electric power. Now for uses. in a 3 wire system for Meralco..the two wires are phase wires, the third wire which is colored GREEN or Yellow green is the EQUIPMENT GROUNDING. If you can afford, during the construction of your house, you must have a grounding system around your house, to be designed by a qualified engr. this grounding system is where the grounding points of your house wiring and your appliances will be be connected. The advantage of this system is safety, specially for appliances that is prone to become wet, ie refrigerator, washing machine ang electric range. The principle behind is that when there is a power leakage, it will safely be discharged to the ground. When you dont have a good grounding system, you will get mild or severe electric shock when you touch the handle of old refs, washing machine and electric range.

3) ESD or energy saving devices. These are usually power factor correcting devices only. When you use appliances that is inductive..meaning there are coils of wire in it..motors, etc. your power factor is lagging by an angle..that we will not elaborate. I would not advice buying this product specially if its expensive. Instead of buying ESD's try to practice the following energy saving practice.

3.1) Appliances that produces heat consumes more power that rotating appliances. So when you iron your clothes..do it by bulk.

3.2) When using Airconditioning units..use the timer so that the compressor shuts down when you are already asleep. Then your unit is not equipped with

timers, buy a good timer. to check the capacity of the timer, check how many ampere it is rated and compare it with the ampere consumption of your

AC unit. Note that the rating of the plug timer must be greater by at least 25% than your load.

4) 220 versus 110V? no big deal advantage. If you plan to use a dual voltage 220 and 110 volt system in your house. be sure to use a different type of plug for

the 110 appliances to avoid plugging it to the 220v system.

5) For the sake of non electrical people..power consumption that you pay to meralco is in kwhrs. meaning 1000watts operated for 1 hr...1000 thus the word 1

kilowatt for 1 hr. So it doesnt matter what appliance you use..when the sum is 1000 watts used for 1 hr..you pay the rates..or it could also be 100watts used

for 10hrs.

6) Why faulty wiring produces fire? faulty wiring has many forms. but the usuall method is octopus connection. Note that commercial extention outlets uses small wires and so many appliances is plug to this extention, chances are these lines become overloaded, heats up, produces spark and when the kindling temperature is reached ignition is created and fire starts. Pls donot stock highly combustible liquids near a power outlet. When your light does not light up at night..if its fluorescent type, check the voltage, because maybe it is low. or check the switch, change if is deffective. ABB circuit breakers are still available on the market. try to check with AVESCO marketing or other big electrical hardwares..or thru the internet.

if you have problems with your electrical system..PM me and if im in the Phil..(im in japan now) i will check your system free of charge..ibili lang ninyo ako ng snack na barbecue na saging ok na. jk.

i hope this helps.. to the room owner..its just a little contribution..wla magawa dito sa japan eh...

mas mahal b consumption ng kuryente pag gabi compared tuwing morning?

Dual meaning ang tanong mo..

Kung sa billing ng kuryente ang ibig mo sabihin..sagot dyan ay hinde. pareho lang. or if you mean na mas malakas ba ang consumption ng kuryente sa gabi compared sa umaga...ang sagot dyan ay oo at hinde. oo malakas sa gabi kasi madagdagan ng ilaw. hinde nman kasi..ung ginagawa mo na gamit ay kuryente sa araw ay di mo nman ginagamit sa gabi.. i mean depende sa pag gamit ninyo ng appliances at ilaw. Pero generally ma gabi o ma araw man ang isang appliances na 1000watts (plantsa halimbawa) pag ginamit mo ng isang oras...its one kwhr bill gabi or araw mo siya gamitin...kasi ang binabayan mo nga is per kilowatt hour..

mas mahal b consumption ng kuryente pag gabi compared tuwing morning?

mayroong 'time of use' program ang napocor where electricity price is lower per kWhr in the evenings than in the mornings.

however, this scheme is open to large industrial and commercial users. altho I believe that meralco has openend the scheme to residential users having a monthly consumption of 2,000 kWhrs per month.

If your consumption is equal or above 2,000 kWHrs a month, you can go to the nearest meralco branch and apply for this scheme. to make this scheme work, all kuryente intensive activities be scheduled for night (like ironing and laundry) as prices are lower than in the daytime.

They are offering it to residensial cust. that use at least 10,000 pesos a month. The only problem is that if you load usage is balanced ( the usage of the daytime and nighttime KWH) is more or less the same, there is not that large a savings resulting in it. Moreover, there is a chance that you might have to pay more!

Unless you will start shifting usage at night.

• 2 months later...
if you have problems with your electrical system..PM me and if im in the Phil..(im in japan now) i will check your system free of charge..ibili lang ninyo ako ng snack na barbecue na saging ok na. jk.

i hope this helps.. to the room owner..its just a little contribution..wla magawa dito sa japan eh...

OY CAll ako barbecue lang pala eh. heheheheh. Pm me naman dude.. I have lots of questions. pm mo na din ang yahoo messenger mo.

Dude how come yung isang electrical engineer na factory manager nang isang big garments factory installed one of those ESD but one that he designed and built himself he told me the parts lang inabot na nang 100 thou plus basically big capacitor lang daw.within a few months bawi na. thanks pare.

OY CAll ako barbecue lang pala eh. heheheheh. Pm me naman dude.. I have lots of questions. pm mo na din ang yahoo messenger mo.

Dude how come yung isang electrical engineer na factory manager nang isang big garments factory installed one of those ESD but one that he designed and built himself he told me the parts lang inabot na nang 100 thou plus basically big capacitor lang daw.within a few months bawi na. thanks pare.

With Sir Dominoneedsu's permission, I would like to reply to Sir Biromn.

Sir, that's because Meralco charges three-phase customers differently from single phase (mostly residential) clients.

Those that use single phase meters are charged based on their Kwhr consumption only. But it becomes more complicated for three phase customers. Three phase meters monitor kwhr consumption differently, and Meralco has a more complicated method for computing the total bill.

To put it simply, Meralco does not monitor reactive power for single phase customers. The capacitor bank ESD works to correct the reactive power consumption, which 3-phase customers pay for. Installing one on a sigle phase system here in the Philippines will not have a significant effect on the total bill that's to be paid for.

So why are they advertising it on TV? Please observe that the advertisements came from Taiwan. They probably charge single phase customers in Taiwan for reactive power consumption, so it works for them there. But in the RP, it will not have the same effect.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a registered electrical engineer myself but I must admit that i admire robbietan for having all the correct answers to the questions. Grabe, galing mo bro... Maski ako magpopost din ng questions to you when the need arises hehe... Thanks to guys like you bro... :thumbsupsmiley:

Unbundling is simply the identification of the individual charges, whether generation charges or

transmission charges or government charges. Unbundling was initiated in May 30, 2003 as prescribed by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and was implemented immediately, beginning with June 2003 billing cycle.

to better understand your bill (from meralco, that is):

Generation charge - its the price of power from napocor and other IPPs where meralco source their power needs

transmission charge - wheeling charges from transco

system loss charge - price of power lost from technical (transformer losses, line losses, etc)

and non technical (pilferage, etc). meralco can only charge a max of 9.5% for this. this is the total power delivered to meralco from napocor and IPPs minus actual power delivered by meralco to their customers.

distribution charge - this is meralco's rates

lifeline subsidies - lower rates for those consuming less than 100 kWHrs per month

govt taxes - includes EVAT and franchise tax. some cities (like pasig) dont charge the franchise tax.

universal charges - flat charges to all customers of the electric utility

missionary - to help finance electric power to 'poor regions' in the country, set by the ERC

environmental - helps finance the environmental projects of napocor like watersheds, etc.

post-20752-1207879117.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Unbundling is simply the identification of the individual charges, whether generation charges or

transmission charges or government charges. Unbundling was initiated in May 30, 2003 as prescribed by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and was implemented immediately, beginning with June 2003 billing cycle.

to better understand your bill (from meralco, that is):

Generation charge - its the price of power from napocor and other IPPs where meralco source their power needs

transmission charge - wheeling charges from transco

system loss charge - price of power lost from technical (transformer losses, line losses, etc)

and non technical (pilferage, etc). meralco can only charge a max of 9.5% for this. this is the total power delivered to meralco from napocor and IPPs minus actual power delivered by meralco to their customers.

distribution charge - this is meralco's rates

lifeline subsidies - lower rates for those consuming less than 100 kWHrs per month

govt taxes - includes EVAT and franchise tax. some cities (like pasig) dont charge the franchise tax.

universal charges - flat charges to all customers of the electric utility

missionary - to help finance electric power to 'poor regions' in the country, set by the ERC

environmental - helps finance the environmental projects of napocor like watersheds, etc.

Bro Robbietan, where ka ba connected na company? you have an accurate way of explaining the technicalities.

In the 80's theres a pamphlet which we can get from NPC entitled "RULE ON THE SALE OF ENERGY" . Is this still available in NPC? we are constructing an ethanol plant in Bukidnon and Isabela. My copy when i used to work in the mining sector is old.. the group that is in charge for the design and construction is asking for my assistance in the contract negotiation with the rural cooperative which we planned to sell the excess power.. The problem is, im the only one who has a background on this and im in japan right now..thats why im asking if you have an idea of any technical paper of NPC similar to the above which we can use as basis for the technical negotiantions..thx

I am making this very late post to thank you all for your inputs on what to do with the electricals during my home rebuild. Your insight proved to be very helpful and while it drove my architect and master electrician crazy, I am very happy with the result and aboslutely do not feel that I have been made to overspend by my contractor. He thinks I did this on my own. Overkill daw. Para daw nag wiring sila ng data center. Eh ano pa nga ba…

Just to let you guys know how it turned out:

You were right, Avesco still sells ABB circuit breakers so I went ABB all the way. I have a 100 amp ABB Tmax breaker for the mains and ABB S2 miniature circuit breakers under that as well as ABB F200 residual current circuit breakers for the kitchen, den, and my computer room.

Everything is on 3-wire stranded with Clipsal fixtures. The breakers are installed in the kitchen housed in an ABB molded breaker box with the DIN rails in full view. I do not like hidden breaker boxes because I want to see their status at a glance. We then connected an ABB ATS010 automatic transfer switch to this which handles starting, stopping and switching of the 25KVA Denyo genset outside.

I have a 3 meter, 10 mm diameter copper bar buried under the house to serve as the main grounding bar. We decided to go with rigid metal electric conduits with liquid resistant fittings. For the 110vac supply, I have a 10kva unregulated stepdown in the kitchen and a 5kva Comfac data grade AVR for the den and the computers. The Comfac supplys a different circuit of COs all around the house for computers and lcd TV only.

This installation forced me to scrimp on the other parts of the house but I am happy with the outcome. At least sigurado ako na kung masusunog bahay ko hindi manggagaling sa wiring. If you guys did not confirm my plans, I would have listened to my contractor and would still be wondering if my wiring was just "pwede na" instead of being to specifications.

Thanks again guys.

No problem. im glad that my comments have helped you decide on what to specify for your house. It was also a good choice that you use metal conduits vs PVC ,because metal conduits is good specially in ceiling installations. im almost finishing the oil refinery design for venezuela and will be coming back in our alabang office by sept..PM me if you need further assistance.

With Sir Dominoneedsu's permission, I would like to reply to Sir Biromn.

Sir, that's because Meralco charges three-phase customers differently from single phase (mostly residential) clients.

Those that use single phase meters are charged based on their Kwhr consumption only. But it becomes more complicated for three phase customers. Three phase meters monitor kwhr consumption differently, and Meralco has a more complicated method for computing the total bill.

To put it simply, Meralco does not monitor reactive power for single phase customers. The capacitor bank ESD works to correct the reactive power consumption, which 3-phase customers pay for. Installing one on a sigle phase system here in the Philippines will not have a significant effect on the total bill that's to be paid for.

So why are they advertising it on TV? Please observe that the advertisements came from Taiwan. They probably charge single phase customers in Taiwan for reactive power consumption, so it works for them there. But in the RP, it will not have the same effect.

Hope this helps.

Correct and well explained. Sir Biromn and tawag dun ay power factor correction. Its a ENERCON and system improvement installation. You need to evaluate the present power factor, calcute the size of the capacitor bank required to adjust your power factor to a level that you will get rid of the penalties for low PF and get a bonus for high PF. Devide the total amount of the installation by the savings and you will get the total payback period of the project.

Sorry that i havent read this section for a while..i went to venezuela and texas kasi...if you still need some advice heres my email and YM crl_007@yahoo.com

Bro Robbietan, where ka ba connected na company? you have an accurate way of explaining the technicalities.

In the 80's theres a pamphlet which we can get from NPC entitled "RULE ON THE SALE OF ENERGY" . Is this still available in NPC? we are constructing an ethanol plant in Bukidnon and Isabela. My copy when i used to work in the mining sector is old.. the group that is in charge for the design and construction is asking for my assistance in the contract negotiation with the rural cooperative which we planned to sell the excess power.. The problem is, im the only one who has a background on this and im in japan right now..thats why im asking if you have an idea of any technical paper of NPC similar to the above which we can use as basis for the technical negotiantions..thx

hindi ko sir sigurado ung sa NPC but with EPIRA today, it would be better to contact a licensed RES (retail energy supplier) in your area. the function of the RES is to market, sell, agregate electric power. Licensed RES suppliers, to date, are:

TeaM (Philippines) Energy Corp. (TPEC)

Trans-Asia Oil and Energy Development Corp.,

First Cabanatuan Ventures Corp.,

Aboitiz Energy Solutions Inc.,

First Gen Energy Solutions Inc.,

Angeles Power Inc.,

iN2Power Inc.

GNPower Ltd. Co.

good luck, sir.

hindi ko sir sigurado ung sa NPC but with EPIRA today, it would be better to contact a licensed RES (retail energy supplier) in your area. the function of the RES is to market, sell, agregate electric power. Licensed RES suppliers, to date, are:

TeaM (Philippines) Energy Corp. (TPEC)

Trans-Asia Oil and Energy Development Corp.,

First Cabanatuan Ventures Corp.,

Aboitiz Energy Solutions Inc.,

First Gen Energy Solutions Inc.,

Angeles Power Inc.,

iN2Power Inc.

GNPower Ltd. Co.

good luck, sir.

Salamat din sa info..i will tell them about these

• 5 weeks later...