Tips For The Newly Graduates

Attending A Job Interview

by Ngeow Yeok Meng

A candidate is successful in job interview if he can convince the interviewer that he is more capable of doing the job than any other candidates. Unless a candidate has established personal networks with the company, a job is usually offered based on the assessment of the candidate's performance during the interview. This assessment places great pressure, both mentally and emotionally, on the candidate who needs the job desperately.

What then, are the criteria for selection in this process?

Successful candidates often manage to select key items from their own experience which show that they can do the job, and will do it better than any of the other candidates. They are the ones who project themselves into the job by asking the right questions, knowing the problems faced in that position, and even offering the solutions to such problems.

Successful interviewers, on the other hand, conduct an interview to find the right applicant to fill a particular job vacancy. They are not trying to trick or trap the candidates, nor are they going to penalise or find fault with the candidates. In fact, they are most relieved if the candidate can convince them that he or she is the right person for the job.

Whether you are leaving your present job, or fresh from campus or school, you should always be prepared for the interview by anticipating questions that will be asked in the interview. Challenging questions, apart from personal details and qualifications, asked by an interviewer to facilitate the process of selection are:

What are your career objectives?

What courses did you take up and why?

What do you do particularly well at school?

Where does your main experience lie?

What are your main responsibilities in your present job?

How much time do you spend on each aspect of your job?

Which aspect of the job do you like most?

What are the main problem areas of your job?

Do you have a solution for that problem?

Why do you want to leave your present employer?

What is expected in your first year if you are offered this job?

What do you want to be doing in five years' time?

How will you benefit from this job?

Are there any people you find difficulty working with?

What are your strengths?

What are your weaknesses?

Why should the company hire you?

The above questions are not standard or model questions but preparing for them will build up your confidence before and while attending a job interview. Avoid using "trial and error" in job interviews, by making mistakes in front of your prospect employer. Tactful answers to the above questions will impress the interviewer and most importantly of all, you will stand out among other candidates to get the job offer and also his confidence in doing the job.

Top 6 interview bloopers

1. Be unprepared. Going to the meeting knowing nothing about the company but its name or having only a vague idea of what the position entails predisposes you to a hasty, unceremonious exit. What’s there to talk about, anyway? Do some background checking before showing up. Being ready also means planning for any contingency. Bring along extra resumes, your portfolio, your references’ contact numbers and your social security or tax number in case you need to fill out an application form.

2. Dress unprofessionally. First impressions can make or break you, so always meet company representatives in your professional suit. Remember this rule even if the employees themselves wear casual outfits. You can follow prevailing in-house fashion after you’ve been hired. You needn’t look like a glossy magazine pinup boy either, but do look neat and clean. Avoid in particular chunky jewelry, loud prints and overpowering cologne.

3. Act uncool. You may be drooling for that job, but do you have to show it? Employers will quickly lose interest in someone who appears desperate for work. It’s also so uncalled for to be self-deprecating or self-apologetic. After all, the employer won’t bother to get in touch with you if you’re not qualified. The best approach: Strive to appear calm and in control, even as you convey warmth and enthusiasm. Smile, maintain eye contact, sit up straight and answer slowly and clearly. Don’t fidget, chew gum or make other nervous movements.

4. Rambling on and on and on. Employers have a hearty dislike for those who over-talk during the interview. They get the impression that you either can’t organize your thoughts, are stalling for time, or are glossing over some inadequacy. The solution: Practice your answers to frequently asked questions and role-play the interview scenario with a friend.

5. Talk money too soon. If it’s your first interview, resist the urge to ask how much you might earn. It shows you’re primarily interested in the salary, not the work. If you prove yourself capable, you’ll get an offer and the chance to negotiate the salary you desire. But while you shouldn’t ask just yet, you must already have a fair idea of what the position should be worth. Include salary matters when you do pre-interview research so that you can haggle well if you do receive that offer.

6. Be too honest. You can be completely candid in the confessional and you’ll feel good afterward. But being totally honest during the interview is courting disaster. For instance, if you’re asked why you left your previous employer, you shouldn’t say that you resigned because your boss is a pain in the neck or the company is the pits. Remember that you’re selling yourself: Couch your replies with care, being mindful to project a professional image at all times.

for peeps going in for their first time real job...

from my experience...

1. think of your first job as your stepping stone to a higher/better opportunity.

2. never stop learning, learn to listen and learn to ask, acquire more skills, youll get better chances.

3. commit mistakes, it is good...and learn from them, soon you'll strengthen your decision making.

:mtc:

this only applies for rich f**ks who can ask their parents what they want and gives it to them like giving out candy.

not everyone is God's child.

pareng jumborat, why the need to call them "rich f**ks"? why not just "rich people"?

i'm not rich but i don't have anything against them :) its not a sin for them to be rich

peace :thumbsupsmiley:

1. Wag nerbyosin sa interview

2. Wag masyado maging mapili, tandaan, ala ka pa experience

3. Wag hangarin ang malaking sweldo agad, kahit sa call center ang inaplyan.

4. Mag ingat sa mapansamantalang nilalang, dahil mga newbies pa kayo, tandaan, maraming manyakis.

5. Pag bumagsak sa interview, hindi pa katapusan ng mundo, mag apply uli sa iba

6. Kahit cum laude ka, wag mataas ang ihi, hindi ka manager agad.

7. Wag ma late sa interview, ala silang rason na pakikingan. Kahit may bagyo.

8. Alamin muna ang background ng kumpanya na aaplayan, dagdag pogi points to sa interview, at para na rin malaman mo ang stability ng kumpanya,

9. Once hired, ugaliing makisama sa mga ka opisina, proby ka pa lang, magtimpi ka muna kung natural na suplado at mataray ka, bawian mo sila pag regular ka na.

10. gandahan ang resume at tandaan ang mga sinulat mo rito, baka maging incosistent ka sa interview at akalain na inimbento mo lang ang nakasulat

My word is: Ang trabaho ay hinahanap at di kusang lumalapit pwera na lang kung maraming koneksyon si mama at si papa. You should try all the jobfairs you heard about always bring a hrd or soft copy of your resume or better yet i-save sa e-mail para pag may dumating na opprtunity eh ready ka. ako I've been called back by at least 5 companies na pinasahan ko ng resume's on 2 Job fairs na ginawa inside and near my school. But the company where I do my OJT already hired me earlier. These things really works. I am a proud member of the class of 2005. Congratulations and God Bless to this year's graduates. :)

nothing beats a diploma from the big three: UP, Ateneo and La Salle......why is our society so conscious about social status? even where you graduate is an obvious advantage......we'll it is so because we have allowed it........you, me, the personnel managers, corporate heads, and so on......we have constructed a culture of status rather than achievement......

nothing beats a diploma from the big three: UP, Ateneo and La Salle......why is our society so conscious about social status? even where you graduate is an obvious advantage......we'll it is so because we have allowed it........you, me, the personnel managers, corporate heads, and so on......we have constructed a culture of status rather than achievement......

you can't deny the fact that these three schools produce more quality students than any other schools in the country. but in the end, it still boils down to the individual. be it la salle, up, or ateneo, education still starts at home.

Remember that Graduation is a "commencement", or start of new chapter in your lives after getting ur respective college degrees. Tip: Don't burn bridges. Keep in touch constantly or periodically with your peers. You will never know their real values until they can be of any help in your chosen profession. :thumbsupsmiley: