Duterte's Presidency : Expectations, Controversies, Rants, Etc.

Yung National ID system, wla pa din. Isinisi pa no Boy Mura sa mga left daw - p#ta.

Pinirmahan nya Yung batas nung 2018 pa, nag allot Ang government ng budget para soon pero hanggang ngayon wala, Hindi nila pede sisihinbang Legislative kasi sila nga ang gumawa ng batas at nagpasa na din sila ng Implementing Rules... Eh sino ba tagapagpatupad ng batas - Executive, p#ta walang ginawa! p#tang$na talaga - tapos Kung kani kanino na naman isisisi na Right left or up down. p#tang$na. Pumirma ng batas tapos Hindi pinatupad ng sinungaling na kaputaputahang putanginang butas butas ang ilong na may nangingitim na mukhang burog burog.

OK, so you won't believe the 80,000+ cases.

You think there's more. So do I.

But I don't think Chinese government is lying. Like all the other countries hit, they did not have enough testing equipment to determine the number of cases at the outset of the epidemic. There's a possibility that many of the initial deaths were not recorded as covid-related.

China and Iran were the first one hit. Nobody knew then how to handle it. But the Chinese government were able to do what they do best. Use their authority and political will.

And the Chinese people cooperated -- under the threat of punishment? who cares? It worked.

I said that either they had extraordinary control measures or they are lying through their teeth. It will be known eventually which is which. Some of its medical experts are here to develop a treatment for covid-19.

In Wuhan -- where the virus was first detected late last year -- an official announcement raised the city's death toll by half, to a total of 3,869.

The additional deaths were cases that were "mistakenly reported" or missed entirely, the posting said.

But the revision will play into a growing narrative of Chinese untrustworthiness led by Trump's nationalist administration.

I said that either they had extraordinary control measures or they are lying through their teeth. It will be known eventually which is which. Some of its medical experts are here to develop a treatment for covid-19.

I was about to reply to your post above, when you posted a new one below.

In Wuhan -- where the virus was first detected late last year -- an official announcement raised the city's death toll by half, to a total of 3,869.

The additional deaths were cases that were "mistakenly reported" or missed entirely, the posting said.

But the revision will play into a growing narrative of Chinese untrustworthiness led by Trump's nationalist administration.

I read that news article, too. That is exactly what I meant that if there were discrepancies, the Chinese government didn't lie.

At the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic, China still did not have enough testing kits. So thousands could have gotten infected and recovered or died without being diagnosed as Covid related.

Trump can play his narrative but will we still believe his story?

Edited by camiar

I was about to reply to your post above, when you posted a new one below.

This is exactly what I meant that if there were discrepancies, the Chinese government didn't lie.

At the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic, China still did not have enough testing kits. So thousands could have gotten infected and recovered or died without being diagnosed as Covid related.

Trump can play his narrative but will we still believe his story?

But why only say it now that Wuhan lifted its lockdown?

But why only say it now that Wuhan lifted its lockdown?

Because it is only now that they can retrace the events and confirm their suspicions that there could more.

Nothing wrong in correcting your data to reflect the true picture. It will play a big role in reviewing the lessons learned from their experience.

Because it is only now that they can retrace the events and confirm their suspicions that there could more.

Nothing wrong in correcting your data to reflect the true picture. It will play a big role in reviewing the lessons learned from their experience.

I have nothing against the Chinese and I am open to them helping us in this covid crisis but I am still skeptical regarding this. So far, the media has been publicizing about the cases in the US and Europe. The Chinese Communist Party must be really strict in giving out information on Chinese infections.

I have nothing against the Chinese and I am open to them helping us in this covid crisis but I am still skeptical regarding this. So far, the media has been publicizing about the cases in the US and Europe. The Chinese Communist Party must be really strict in giving out information on Chinese infections.

So far, we seem to be better off with Chinese help, especially the treatment methods. Telling us what worked and what didn't work.

I'm in constant contact with my relatives in the US, many of whom are in medical profession. They are still in trial-and-error mode in the treatment method.

So far, we seem to be better off with Chinese help, especially the treatment methods. Telling us what worked and what didn't work.

I'm in constant contact with my relatives in the US, many of whom are in medical profession. They are still in trial-and-error mode in the treatment method.

So far, every country seems to be in a trial-and-error stage.

Not Taiwan. Our Paramount Leader insists on following the Communist Chinese playbook, however. Like Premier Winnie the Pooh, he can use the lockdown to solidify his hold on power.

The majority of Filipinos have expressed satisfaction with the Duterte administration’s response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic, according to the survey results released by global polling firm Gallup International Association.

Based on the April 6 to 8 poll, around 80 percent of Filipinos believed the government is handling the Covid-19 crisis “well”.

This is where Duterte's talk about decentralizing the economy is exposed for what it truly is -- just talk. Without the economic engine provided by Manila, Cebu, etc. our economy is going to sink into the toilet.

Meanwhile, other countries that used their lockdown to actually do something like mass testing are now re-opening. The Filipino people continue to pay the price for this incompetence.

This is where Duterte's talk about decentralizing the economy is exposed for what it truly is -- just talk. Without the economic engine provided by Manila, Cebu, etc. our economy is going to sink into the toilet.

Meanwhile, other countries that used their lockdown to actually do something like mass testing are now re-opening. The Filipino people continue to pay the price for this incompetence.

Mass testing will not lower the infection rate. Lockdown will.

Mass testing is just one of the tools to identify more patients to isolate and treat. It can also be used to validate the effectiveness of the lockdown.

Which covid-19 affected country, who is doing mass testing, is now re-opening? Check your facts before blustering.

• Like (+1) 2

Mass testing will not lower the infection rate. Lockdown will.

Mass testing is just one of the tools to identify more patients to isolate and treat. It can also be used to validate the effectiveness of the lockdown.

Which covid-19 affected country, who is doing mass testing, is now re-opening? Check your facts before blustering.

Asian countries such as South Korea and Taiwan have put in place systems of mass testing and have begun to ease social distancing restrictions. The health care infrastructure is there because the governments of these countries recognize that the coronavirus problem is not going away any time soon. Citizens will be required to wear masks and avoid large public gathering even as businesses re-open, but measures are in place in case of another outbreak.

This is the sort of realistic, science-based approach I was hoping for from our government. Instead we have extended lockdowns which are becomingly increasingly restrictive. Instead of the government using the initial lockdown period to prepare Filipinos for the 'new normal' of masks and avoidance of mass gatherings, we have instead been given a series of rolling lockdowns that have pushed people to the breaking point. Based on some of the comments of MTCers in other threads, they plan to cut loose and celebrate when the 2 months of lockdown finally end. That's likely to result in a second wave, which will probably result in a never-ending series of lockdowns.

Like many Filipinos, I used to support Duterte, but his rambling and blustering response to the coronavirus has turned me against him. His repeated threats of imposing martial law are just adding insult to injury.

History will determine whether the lockdown strategy was effective or not in actually lowering the infection rate, or in setting the stage for more deaths when a second wave hits. If the latter, then political leaders like Duterte must face the fall-out over the fact that they destroyed the economy over little to no public health care gains.

Edited by asongitim4

Asian countries such as South Korea and Taiwan have put in place systems of mass testing and have begun to ease social distancing restrictions. The health care infrastructure is there because the governments of these countries recognize that the coronavirus problem is not going away any time soon. Citizens will be required to wear masks and avoid large public gathering even as businesses re-open, but measures are in place in case of another outbreak.

This is the sort of realistic, science-based approach I was hoping for from our government. Instead we have extended lockdowns which are becomingly increasingly restrictive. Instead of the government using the initial lockdown period to prepare Filipinos for the 'new normal' of masks and avoidance of mass gatherings, we have instead been given a series of rolling lockdowns that have pushed people to the breaking point. Based on some of the comments of MTCers in other threads, they plan to cut loose and celebrate when the 2 months of lockdown finally end. That's likely to result in a second wave, which will probably result in a never-ending series of lockdowns.

Like many Filipinos, I used to support Duterte, but his rambling and blustering response to the coronavirus has turned me against him. His repeated threats of imposing martial law are just adding insult to injury.

History will determine whether the lockdown strategy was effective or not in actually lowering the infection rate, or in setting the stage for more deaths when a second wave hits. If the latter, then political leaders like Duterte must face the fall-out over the fact that they destroyed the economy over little to no public health care gains.

Ang tanong ko lang, which country doing mass testing, is now re-opening? Ang haba ng sagot mo, pero hindi mo pa rin nasagot.

You say Duterte government is incompetent in this covid fight, but you yourself say that history will determine whether his government's lockdown strategy was effective.

We are still in the middle of the crisis. Wait for enough factual data before blustering.

FYI:

Comparison of currently available statisitcal data with other heavily-hit countries seems to show that the strategies being taken by the Philippine government is helping flatten the curve.

Edited by camiar
  • Like (+1) 1

Ang tanong ko lang, which country doing mass testing, is now re-opening? Ang haba ng sagot mo, pero hindi mo pa rin nasagot.

You say Duterte government is incompetent in this covid fight, but you yourself say that history will determine whether his government's lockdown strategy was effective.

We are still in the middle of the crisis. Wait for enough factual data before blustering.

FYI:

Comparison of currently available statisitcal data with other heavily-hit countries seems to show that the strategies being taken by the Philippine government is helping flatten the curve.

Example of mass testing that paved the way for re-opening or prevention of strict lockdowns to begin with -

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-18/seoul-s-full-cafes-apple-store-lines-show-mass-testing-success

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-germany-reopens-small-shops-as-it-seeks-to-avoid-on-off-lockdown-situation

You say to wait for factual data, but then mention current statistical data which may be less than accurate -- outside of China and the WHO, for example, there is a lot of skepticism regarding the figures coming out of China.

What this crisis has shown are those countries where the leaders just turn to knee-jerk reactions, and those that actually rely on scientists to find solutions. Sweden's coronavirus strategy of resisting the herd mentality and locking down everything is controversial, for example, but it's been spearheaded by an epidemiologist who has a strategy in place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

Example of mass testing that paved the way for re-opening or prevention of strict lockdowns to begin with -

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-18/seoul-s-full-cafes-apple-store-lines-show-mass-testing-success

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-germany-reopens-small-shops-as-it-seeks-to-avoid-on-off-lockdown-situation

You say to wait for factual data, but then mention current statistical data which may be less than accurate -- outside of China and the WHO, for example, there is a lot of skepticism regarding the figures coming out of China.

What this crisis has shown are those countries where the leaders just turn to knee-jerk reactions, and those that actually rely on scientists to find solutions. Sweden's coronavirus strategy of resisting the herd mentality and locking down everything is controversial, for example, but it's been spearheaded by an epidemiologist who has a strategy in place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

A few cafes opening to customers does not mean they are re-opening the economy. You're grasping at straws.

Admittedly, Korea has succeeded in using technology in its fight against covid. But it is not reopening. It still averages over a hundred new cases of covid infections everyday, just like in the Philippines. They won't re-open any time soon.

Early in March some people prematurely praised Singapore for its "successful" handling of the virus epidemic. They judged too early. The recent surge of infections put the small island city among countries with the highest number of infected cases in Southeast Asia. 13,000 infected among 5.6 million population, that's 2,300 infection cases per million population. Compare that with the Philippines' 7,300 out of 104 million, which is 70 per million population.

You have been unfair in saying our government is incompetent in handling this crisis. You judge them without even waiting for the crisis to pan out. And yet even if you look at the initial figures today, you'd see that our government is not doing so bad.

Just look at the US and compare. Almost 900,000 infected. That's about 2,700 infected cases per million population. Their President is so desperate and so out of touch with reality that he recommends injecting patients with Chlorox to treat them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's incompetence if you ask me.

Edited by camiar

Dito, natawa talaga ako.

What "strategy of resisting herd mentality and locking down everything..." are you talking about???

Sweden's government is trying to achieve "HERD IMMUNITY" by allowing the virus to spread naturally to the population, such that if at least 70% of the population catches the virus, and assuming 95% to 98% of the infected survive, the entire population would eventually develop herd immunity against the virus.

Therefore, Sweden does not impose lockdowns.

It is an entirely different strategy from what most other countries are doing. Again, like in all countries, it's too early to say if the strategy is sound. But many Swedish doctors are questioning the strategy.

The United Kingdom initially considered using the Herd Immunity strategy, but abandoned the idea after considering that in doing so, the surge in number of people getting infected might overwhelm their health care system.

Edited by camiar

Dito, natawa talaga ako.

What "strategy of resisting herd mentality and locking down everything..." are you talking about???

Sweden's government is trying to achieve "HERD IMMUNITY" by allowing the virus to spread naturally to the population, such that if at least 70% of the population catches the virus, and assuming 95% to 98% of the infected survive, the entire population would eventually develop herd immunity against the virus.

Therefore, Sweden does not impose lockdowns.

It is an entirely different strategy from what most other countries are doing. Again, like in all countries, it's too early to say if the strategy is sound. But many Swedish doctors are questioning the strategy.

The United Kingdom initially considered using the Herd Immunity strategy, but abandoned the idea after considering that in doing so, the surge in number of people getting infected might overwhelm their health care system.

Ooops. That was a typo. It was supposed to be 'not locking down' everything.

As for the countries that have implemented mass testing, calling it more than a few cafes re-opening is deliberately misleading.

It's a limited re-opening of the economy, but these countries already ahead of the curve when it comes to the new normal -- Taiwan is making hand washing a required protocol in schools, glass shields are being put in place to separate customers in restaurants, etc.

This is where I believe our government has failed in dramatic fashion. The initial one-month lockdown was a necessary first step, and I was still supportive of the government at that point. But it became clear to me that the time it bought for us was frittered away. No plans were developed, no protocols put in place, de nada. Instead, we had an extension, followed by another extension. I am still waiting to hear what guidelines businesses must meet before they re-open, if such guidelines are actually put into place.

And why bring up Trump? Just because the Americans have a buffoon for a leader doesn't mean we don't have one too.

Just look at the US and compare. Almost 900,000 infected. That's about 2,700 infected cases per million population. Their President is so desperate and so out of touch with reality that he recommends injecting patients with Chlorox to treat them. Now that's incompetence if you ask me.

Did he actually recommend injecting patients with "chlorox"? Disinfectant doesn't mean it's "chlrox." A disinfectant is a chemical liquid that destroys bacteria which is the definition of the dictionary. Of course, doctors won't inject disinfectants like chlorox in the body. They will inject a disinfectant that the body can take.

Edited by lee sawyer