Sibling Relations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

guys...

just a quick question...

i'm still confused right now, discovering that i have a brother from another mother...

i still don't know how to react...

I am a father to children from multiple different mothers.

Celebrate! You've got more siblings!

Blood. Magkakamukha. Pretty. Handsome.

You lucky kids.

Did your father abandoned you? Was he lacking in terms of supporting you as father? If not, then you shouldn't feel an ounce of anger or confusion; per your words. The one who should be affected is your mother and not you. One should also not blame or feel anger towards their half siblings. He/She is a result of your father's unfaithfulness. They didn't ask to be placed in that situation. Help them out like what a responsible and loving sibling would.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

just be yourself. magpatuloy ka lang sa buhay mo gaya kung paano ka dati. hindi kailangan na biglain na makipag close kaagad sa bago mong diskubreng kapatid. hindi mo din kailangan na pilitin na pakisamahan sila. tanggapin mo lang kasi andyan na yan. ituring mo siya gaya ng trato mo sa mga bago mong kakilala. kung paano man madevelop ang samahan ninyo ay hayaan mo lang na magflow naturally.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2011 at 8:53 AM, dfgvan said:

guys...

just a quick question...

i'm still confused right now, discovering that i have a brother from another mother...

i still don't know how to react...

Your confusion is appropriate. Your father kept it from you and your discovery gives a whole different view of who your father was.

The thing to do at the moment is to accept the facts and avoid strong emotional reactions for a bit. If those emotions are still there, then you can address them when you're in a better state of mind.

Fact is that your dad impregnated another woman. He may or may not have been faithful to your mom depending on the timing.

Accept your half-sibling as a person now and give them sympathy and empathy when your emotions are more stable. They've done nothing wrong and didn't choose this situation.

On 4/14/2011 at 10:26 AM, Bryan9696 said:

1. Why do you need to react now?

2. WhaT's the benefit of reacting? Will it solve anything?

The situation may confuse and may hurt but what's the point? Did you lose anything with your new information?

Good advice. It's hard to act on when your emotions are high, but I think it's correct to hold your reaction and evaluate what your reaction will do. Sudden outbursts can lead to you not saying what you actually want to say.

On 4/14/2011 at 9:15 PM, wizard23 said:

i think your hurt or confusion is coming from the fact that your father was unfaithful. you never had any idea that your father maintains or has 2 families. now that you know that you have a half-brother, just accept your half-brother, if ever you will get to meet him at one point in your life.

I agree. It's the feeling of betrayal, that you didn't really know this person that you thought you knew very well. It makes you question what else he's hiding.

It makes you question his devotion to your mom and your family, depending on the specifics.