Toughest, Most Physically Demanding Sport?

• 1 month later...
Ironman....hands down!

I vote for triathlon as among the most demanding sports. I say among as other sports also require a lot from the athlete's mind and body.

Aside from the Ironman (the most famous of which is the Hawaii Ironman) I once saw a Tenfold Ironman broadcast. Athletes were required to swim 38 km, ride their bikes for 1800 km and then run for 480 km. Sleeping and rest was allowed whenever the athletes needed to, but still its one grueling task at hand.

Finishing time was 8 days up I believe

Edited by Robertomas

I remember reading somewhere...sometime in the 1970s, there was this TV show that pitted the notable players of many sports against each other in a series of physical challenges. Formula 1 had its own entry in the legendary dyslexic racer, Sir Jackie Stewart.

Stewart actually emerged victorious. That seems to say a lot about how fit you have to be to handle Formula 1. It's tough! We see only 20% of what they do for a living. The race drivers and test drivers have to test and test and test between races and the winter off-season.

I remember reading Fernando Alonso's physical trainer back in his days at Renault remarking at how huge his neck muscles are. They have to be---if they were any weaker he'd have trouble driving a race distance. If you've seen Alonso or his former teammate Giancarlo Fisichella in shorts and athletic attire, they're very, very fit.

Aside from F1, my vote would have to go to triathlons.

I have to disagree with you here sir, bodybuilding is a sport, it requires discipline not only in training, but also in keeping to the strict diet, workout patterns, and you have yo have extreme endurance.

true, and I have lots of respect for the displine bodybuilders have, but to me it's just a male beauty pageant. Beauty queens have tons of discipline too.

For me the toughest sport. DEEP SEA Diving...

I didn't know this was a sport

how do you win?

F1 is really tough, if you think about it there hasn't been a fat F1 driver, but there are fat NFL players.

Edited by Larry

for me Australian rugby...unlike American football/rugby, the Aussies only wear t-shirt and shorts....they tackle each other...what is nice about this sport is that nobody is really taking the pounding personally...yes, there would be blood or broken bones....but there's no riot...Aussies are very discplined lot!

for me Australian rugby...unlike American football/rugby, the Aussies only wear t-shirt and shorts

rugby in general is tough. waaay waaaay tougher than the NFL.

American Football is 1 minute action and 1 minute rest, and sometimes it's not even solid action (FGs, punts)

Rugby is constant bruising and murdering action, with very little protection (maybe a groin cup, but that's it), plus I've never seen a fat Rugby player, there are lots of NFL guys with gigantic guts.

But the NHL is tougher than both combined.

it's faster, you're on skates on ice, and it's break neck speed along the way. And more speed = harder hits. Check out some of the harshest checks in hockey. No breaks in the action, changes are done on the fly. The puck moves like a bullet at times, and can sometimes feel like one too. Plus hockey players actually know how to fight unlike NBA players who fight like girls.

^ haha, nice bit about hockey... :lol:

toughest sport? i'm inclined to say MMA, but there are so much more sports that are just as demanding in all aspects..

F1 is really tough because of the amount of g-force one endures in the entire duration of the race.. plus, if you crash really bad, you're not sure if you're gonna live.. i mean, look at Robert Kubica's crash a couple of races back..

rugby is really tough.. i mean, all the tackes minus the oversized pads and helmets..

hockey's really tough too, i have to agree.. all that rough stuff, plus the possibility of being hit by the puck..

• 3 weeks later...