Compound Vs Isolation

It depends, for my deltoids im doing compound (military presses and arnold presses) after wards I go isolation on all 3 heads (front, side, back) you cant gain mass through isolation and you cant have definition through compounds alone.

ok this is not totally true with all due respect.

definition comes from dieting. I've seen it countless times ove the past 2 years... guys just doing compounds but focused on eating clean getting more definition with guys doing a ton of isolation

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

If you're a Novice, like me, try not to do any isolation. It's just plain worthless.

If you're a Novice, like me, don't do any periodization. It's utterly worthless.

If you're a Novice, like me, do compounds at low poundages because you'll actually feel all the other muscles working.

If you're a Novice, like me, lift in increments and don't do pyramiding on your working sets.

I've been off of the gym for more than a year and it's so nice to be back. I just love doing compounds. My next project after 10 weeks would be 20-rep squat. After that would be a 4xBW Deadlift.

if possible do em all!!!

never stop till it hurts or till you can't move it anymore..ahhahah

Um, you don't get stronger lifting till you can do a rep anymore.

Usually, rep ranges below 5 with proper weight is geared towards strength training routines.

For those wanting aesthetics, reps higher than 6 or below 15 does the job.

Anything beyond 16 to 20 is for endurance.

Above that is something Lon Kilgore and Mark Rippetoe define as being crazy. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Compound for a full body workout - Lunges, Squats, Deadlift, Push-ups, Pull Ups (I hate it!). It saves times plus it burns more calories since multiple major muscle groups are targeted by these exercise. RMR is high versus Isolation exercise.

Isolation to focus on strengthening certain muscle group - Hammer curls and bicep curls are my favorites

Edited by *Jessie*
  • 6 months later...