Mini Laptops

hi i saw this laptop in greenhills. it's cool! meron na ba nakabili nito sa inyo? considered as the hottest non-apple gadget today. maganda rin mga reviews. share naman kayo jan kung meron na kayo nito.

i have one, but got the 4gb. didn't know they had a 8gb model as the store clerk didn't inform me. it's a great laptop to carry around with you all day as it is really very small and light. also, sound is great (actually a lot better than my other laptops). so if you don't mind the 7" screen size, it makes quite a nice video player. keyboard is crowded because of smaller keys. biggest problem for me is the memory. when windows is installed, it leaves you less than 1.5gb on your hdd. i have a 4gb mmc in it all the time but still a hassle having less that 400mb (after some other programs installed) on your internal hd.

if you are planning to get one, i suggest you get the 8gb one. cheaper to buy it in taiwan, that's where i got it. mga less P2,000-P3,000 for the 4gb, might be more for the 8gb. i think the 4gb is around P18,000-P19,000 here in the philippines.

post-134335-1196884179.jpg

Yeah It's a cool laptop, but I still haven't installed windows in mine yet. Still have the default linux OS. Works great so far, surf the internet with ease. Was using it at burger king the other day since they have free wifi now. Had a lot of people looking my way, not because I had the most powerful laptop, but because I had the smallest one. They thought it was a dvd player.. :lol: haha. The girls loved it. Very handy also if you want to do some quick work done with its free open office application, its like linux version of word & exel. its a real bargain if you are going to compare it to a nokia E90, since it has a bigger keyboard & larger screen. But of course an E90 is still an E90 ..hehe :lol: . But the asus eee pc is a great second computer if you are the kind of person who is always on the go & doesn't want to lag around such a bulky thing like a 2 kg laptop.

Very sturdy built too. :thumbsupsmiley:

post-45917-1196897225.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got this for myself as a Christmas gift and so much i hated carrying my Toshiba 15" with me all the time... its like carrying so much burden man... so i got this. Got it for 18K added some 2K to upgrade the memory to 1 GB. Its been working quite fine since i'm just using it for Office stuff, surfing and writing my 2nd book. It readily fits my Clutch bag even. People would be surprise if i pull out a laptop right out of my clutch bag hahaha... Cam is quite good also. I'm planning to put ubuntu in it then get that 8GB SD card for it got also and SD card slot hahaha... And perhaps get those external drives sold cheaply on www.openpinoy.com hahaha... 1300 10GB slim external hard drive.

No you can't run though yeah it can run but why run photoshop on a 7 inch screen dude... get a bigger one. Yes there's an instruction manual that will tell you all the details on how to install windows xp. But hell linux rules... no worries on spyware, malware and even those nasty things your thumbdrive picks up whenever you plug it in to an alien PC. HA! I hate windows!

Really small yet easy to type into. Easy to toss around the house and especially the bathroom for hassle free surfing.

It can play most video files including .flv for the youtube addicts. Mainly useful for word processing and presentations using a projector. A joy for wireless surfing around the house. Has a few addicting games installed as well. Great for hacking given that it's cheap and easy to dissect.

Great for non-techies (i.e. parents) to use for surfing and playing games with. It doesn't have that intimidation factor so I got my older relatives to actually touch and fuss over it during our recent get-togethers. First time the old timers got to really appreciate what the internet can do (Show me more Perry Como clips!).

My primary complaint is the limitations with linux OS. Almost nil 3rd party software installation capability so you'll be stuck with the native apps. I will install XP when I buy the next iteration of this model hopefully anytime soon this year so I'd have a test unit to mess around with. I'll get the black one then. Anyways, the 4GB SSD will definitely not be enough if ever one decides to make it install additional software. Limited storage may be resolved by using hi-capacity flash drives, SD/MMC cards or an ultra-slim external hard drive. Three USB ports and an SD slot is more than enough I think. Battery life lasts close to 2 hours. I upgraded to 1gb RAM for an add P2k.

I'm happy with the unit considering the price (plus 0% with my Citibank) and specs but a bigger display real estate, XP OS, 2GB RAM, at least 32GB SSD and longer batt life would surely make this the perfect laptop for my needs. I'm hoping the next model will be all of these :)

CNET's review on this ultraportable here... http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-p...?tag=prod.txt.1

Battery life is under 3 hours with web browsing, openoffice, and playing MP3 files. Not bad. For the casual user (read as MTC browsing), this should be good enough.

But I wonder how long the batteries will last if you have a 200gb hard drive plugged in and Wifi running on all the time?

here's mine...fresh off the shelves of PC Corner in Virra Mall, Greenhills...

got the 4Gb/1024mb black model for 19k

the 4Gb/512mb white model sells for 17.5k

and the 8Gb model sells for 28.5k (but i already have an MBP so i digress...)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/hitme64/IMG_0125.jpg

here's mine...fresh off the shelves of PC Corner in Virra Mall, Greenhills...

got the 4Gb/1024mb black model for 19k

the 4Gb/512mb white model sells for 17.5k

and the 8Gb model sells for 28.5k (but i already have an MBP so i digress...)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/hitme64/IMG_0125.jpg

nice senyor!!

now can you take the same photo, but with the orange monster beside it, just to have a better idea what the size is...

:lol:

It is really a good laptop but only limited for surfing, office clerical work (typing, etc.) and playing multi-media. Anything else and you would be disappointed with this machine (lack of storage size, lack of speed - although it appears fast because of its solid state HD). I am totally against attaching external devices on a laptop. Kasi it defeats the purpose of the laptop (being small and handy) if you have to attach an external device to it.

Being a power user, I was immediately turned off by this laptop. IMO lang naman.

does the webcam work for YM? does it have YM install, as I understand that this unit comes pre-installed with linux?

You have to install YM. Yes, the webcam does work with YM. But remember you only have 4G of harddisk space. So you really can't install much applications otherwise you will fast run out of harddisk space.

There is an 8Gig model but it is not available here.

wala nang ibang brand na ganito yung size..

@koopahl - sir grabe po pala yung 8GB model 28.5K, shet ang mahal. aside sa form factor, ang nagpasikat sa EEE PC eh yung price nya. Eversince kasi, sa subnotebook or laptops, the smaller the gadget gets, the higher the price. Mura na yung 20K down kasi pwede nga mag-internet, edit nang documents and pwede din dalhin sa presentations tapos pwede ba sa work lalo na kung Linux/Unix sys ad ka kasi shell at browser lang naman kelangan.

The point is, kung 28.5K yung 8GB, hindi na lang. Dagdag ka na lang nang 6 siguro may laptop ka nang maganda. EEE PC is FORM Factor + Price. Di pwede mawala yun isa.

Btw, sa April they will be releasing a Intel Memrom Based EEE PC, tapos fanless(meaning mas tatagal battery life kasi wala nang moving fan) kaya mas tahimik lalo. At, madalas na tanong kung may lalabas na 10" screen na EEE PC, WAla PO. Kasi it beats the purpose of a subnotebook. Remember, Form Factor + Price ang selling point nang EEE PC. badtrip pinagkakakitaan tayo nang mga computer shops. mura lang ito sa states eh. mahal na sa EEE PC ang $500 eh ang palitan nang piso ngayon sabihin na natin eh 42 pesos...badtrip.

There are no other brands of the same size and specs (solid state harddisk and all).

The closest would be the UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs). Qube sells one at 34T+ full 40gig harddisk (hindi alanganin like the Asus Eee na 4 Gig or 8Gig lang). Other major brands like Sony Viao also has a UMPCs (this I like pero sobrang mahal!!!!), priced at around 100T+ pero full laptop specs and speed na din.

I would like to consider Asus Eee as a big PDA not a small laptop. Again, IMO lang.

Guest Leviticus
You have to install YM. Yes, the webcam does work with YM. But remember you only have 4G of harddisk space. So you really can't install much applications otherwise you will fast run out of harddisk space.

There is an 8Gig model but it is not available here.

really? linux-YM now works for the webcam? my gf is in dubai and I am convincing her to get a laptop para mastipid kaysa overseas call.. tutal libre wifi sa building na tinitirahan nya.

any info would be appreciated.. bagay na bagay kasi sa kanya ang asus eee na eto since for browsing and chat lang ang gamit nya, and syempre gusto ko rin makita siya via webcam

Edited by Leviticus