Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

im using destiny cable now im from paranaque so for no problems nmn ako d2 im paying 1.6kphp every month i got a speed from 350kbps to 1mbps well no disconection like the one i used last year pldt mydsl plan 1999 that pldt mydsl sucks bigtime frequent disconnection poor customer service and another thing pldt my dsl has a 1 yr contract so if u do not finish that u have to pay 3 months advance just to get it cut off without even using it so i sufered 1 yr in that dsl connection. i heard a lot about smart wifi it sucks also theres a thread concerning smart wifi connections and their problems so just search for it

for the people who is still wondering what good connection we can ofer why dont u try destiny cable internet its a cable broadband and less disconections. they dont have a contract so if ur not satisfied u can just request for disconections imediately. btw theres a promo going around this year if u r a subscriber and u refer another person to destiny the plan 1.6k will be transformed to 999 only every month for both the referal and the person who is refered to. im a destiny subscriber myself so if u want to expirience this kind of promo just give me a pm ayt

• 1 month later...

ok ang cable... pero at this stage... dsl is becoming cheaper.. for those who lives in qc eh meron service ang bayantel na 256kbps, pero worth it kse 1200 lang kasama na pati fone rental mo dun. parang nagbayad ka lang ng presyong unlimited dial up per month sa tri-isys.

smart bro or smart wi-fi, should i say more? madami ang galit dito dahil sa ubod ng pangit na after sales service. ika nga.. same dog, different collar.. meridiantelekoms pa din naman ang provider nito. technical difficulties ng provider tapos wala kang rebates.. sabihin mong nasira ang modem mo, 2 weeks bago nila puntahan. gudness...

My 5 cent contribution to this discussion

DSL uses a sophisticated modulation scheme to pack data onto copper wires. DSL is sometimes referred to as a last-mile technology because it is used only for connections from a telephone switching station to a home or office, not used between switching stations. DSL is also called an always on connectionm because it uses existing 2-wire copper telephone line connected to the premise and will not tie up your phone as a dial-up connection does.

ADSL is the most commonly deployed types of DSL. Short for asymmetric digital subscriber line ADSL supports data rates of from 1.5 to 9 Mbps when receiving data (known as the downstream rate) and from 16 to 640 Kbps when sending data (known as the upstream rate). ADSL requires a special ADSL modem.

Two other types of DSL technologies are High-data-rate DSL (HDSL) and Very high DSL (VDSL). VDSL offers fast data rates over relatively short distances - the shorter the distance, the faster the connection rate.

Through the use of a cable modem you can have a broadband Internet connection that is designed to operate over cable TV lines. Cable Internet works by using TV channel space for data transmission, with certain channels used for downstream transmission, and other channels for upstream transmission. Because the coaxial cable used by cable TV provides much greater bandwidth than telephone lines, a cable modem can be used to achieve extremely fast access to the Web

The topic of "which is better and faster" has been a highly debated topic, and still there doesn't appear to be a clear winner. DSL offers users a choice of speeds ranging from 144 Kbps to 1.5Mbps. Cable modem download speeds are typically up to 2 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL, but the reason there is no clear speed winner is because cable technology is based on shared bandwidth, with many factors influencing a users download speed. With shared bandwidth the speed fluctuates depending on the number of subscribers on the network. With DSL, the connection is yours and not shared, and you tend to have a more constant speed. This is one reason why cable Internet providers don't often publish speed information.

Both DSL and cable Internet speeds are largely dependant on the service provider and either the distance away from the switching station you are or how many subscribers are in your immediate area.

In "perfect" conditions, cable download speeds are up to 2 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL speeds, Which is roughly 50 times faster than 28.8K Modem.

I couldn't have explained any better.

In addition, what you actually paying for specially for residential service( 999 and similar packages) is simply the highway and not your constant actual speed but the maximum speed that you can get any any given time.

Some tips for those who will are planning to subscribe to any DSL provider.

1. Ask around, ask your neighbors how is their telephone service. Whether PLDT, BAyantel, globe etc..... If the telephone service sucks... like frequent no dial tone, hissing, echo, statics, crossline etc. Chances are your DSL service will suffer the same. Why? because voice and DSL uses the same outside plant or cables ( the one that you see hanging from the post) facilities.

2. Lets say you had made a choice, ask the installer how far is your place to the Central Office or switching station. Maximum effective distance w/ minimun loss in speed is 5 kilometers w/o passing thru a cross connect cabinet ( the big metal boxes you see on the road side) if its more than and or it will pass one or several cabinets.. I suggest you cancel. you can expect problems.

3. The more splices between your place and the switching station equals bigger headaches.

4. Ask the installer how far are you from the terminal box ( rectangular box you see at the post). if it is more than one cable roll, ask the installer if there is any other nearer. w/o splicing another roll. (normally they charge additional if extra roll is added).

5. Watch your installer while they are laying the cable from the terminal to your house. make sure they use fresh cable from your place to the terminal box. If you see they just splice to an existing wire at the post between your place to the box. Demand that they use new cable. ( gimik nila yan to earn extra by selling the cable.)

The farther you are from the switching station, the slower the speed will be. Regardless of provider.

If the telephone service of your potential provider sucks in your location, the DSL service will most probably sucks.

If you really want fast DSL service, get a higher bandwith and or with a guaranteed C.I.R... normally business packages has this.

Lastly, dont rely on their after sales tech service support. Unless your provider's field tech support are direct company employees( not sure if any does) don't expect fast action. Almost all have a pool of Contractual Service Crews. And communication between the service crew, provider, call center customer service also sucks. Thats why the delay. And its alway almost true to all service provider. :evil:

So to avoid head aches... ask those questions and watch them install...

Edited by Bisdak88
  • 7 months later...

These includes….

- 1 email account

- Internet connection speed is 88kpbs only

- 1 yr free NDD calls

- 2 yrs. contract

This price is already included the monthly service fee & of course internet connection.

My main concern is baka super bagal ang connection since the speed is only 88kpbs.

I’m only using internet when checking emails & surfing the net…

For those of you guys who had already subscribed to the PLDT promos

Pls post your comments here if you are satisfied with the connection speed.

SULIT BA ITO O HINDI????

two week user here. my comment, inconsistent ang speed. minsan umaabot ng 300 kbps, minsan naman parang naka dial-up ka lang at 33 kbps. and as my previous experience with PLDT technical support, they really SUCK!

imho. if you are using it occasionally for browsing and e-mail. ok na ito.

two week user here. my comment, inconsistent ang speed. minsan umaabot ng 300 kbps, minsan naman parang naka dial-up ka lang at 33 kbps. and as my previous experience with PLDT technical support, they really SUCK!

imho. if you are using it occasionally for browsing and e-mail. ok na ito.

Thanks for your reply....

ganon??? i just found out pldt is also offering plan at 990/month. the same din as the above mentioned. ang pinagkaiba lang nito yun internet connection na 384 kpbs daw. ganon din kayo ito na ang internet conncetion ay inconsistent ang speed as you mentioned?????

btw what would you suggest for a DSL ISP?

Thanks for your reply....

ganon??? i just found out pldt is also offering plan at 990/month. the same din as the above mentioned. ang pinagkaiba lang nito yun internet connection na 384 kpbs daw. ganon din kayo ito na ang internet conncetion ay inconsistent ang speed as you mentioned?????

btw what would you suggest for a DSL ISP?

kung servicable ng globe ang area nyo, dun na lang. better post services.

• 1 month later...
kung servicable ng globe ang area nyo, dun na lang. better post services.

so is globe really better than all others?

lalo in terms of consistency and customer service?

i'm having qualms about it kasi ang globe broadband subscription has a one year lock-in period e.

i won't mind paying P111 extra kung mas maganda ang performance.

surfing and downloading lang naman mostly ang gagawin ko so di kelangan ng high-end na connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Weroam the same thing as smart wireless? If it is, then I got to tell you, its crap. I got the first promo with a IBM thinkpad to boot, model R50e, and man, I bought a lemon. I don't know if it my computer dinosaur that's making it slow, having only 128 RAM or smart ain't really smart. It was great for the first few weeks but as time goes by, you can hardly access the net and when you do, just getting a homepage will take you the whole day. Finished my contract and shoved the whole package back up their arse. P.S. .....technical support is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

ang cable internet, kung madami kayo sa area na gumagamit ng same service, mabagal ang connection mo.

ang dsl internet, may fixed upload and download rate ka na.

kaw magdecide. kung sure kang ikaw lang or konti lang nag-cable net sa area nyo, go for it. pero pag hindi, mas safe mag-dsl.

ang cable internet, kung madami kayo sa area na gumagamit ng same service, mabagal ang connection mo.

ang dsl internet, may fixed upload and download rate ka na.

kaw magdecide. kung sure kang ikaw lang or konti lang nag-cable net sa area nyo, go for it. pero pag hindi, mas safe mag-dsl.

You're right, bro. Prospective subscribers should ask around their neighborhood before deciding. Ask nila kung anong gamit nila sa internet and the average speed they are getting on a particular ISP.

Guest louventoe
so is globe really better than all others?

lalo in terms of consistency and customer service?

i'm having qualms about it kasi ang globe broadband subscription has a one year lock-in period e.

i won't mind paying P111 extra kung mas maganda ang performance.

surfing and downloading lang naman mostly ang gagawin ko so di kelangan ng high-end na connection.

i think globe is better in terms of the quality of connection. the number of globe subscribers are far less than those with PLDT therefore the availability of bandwidth in globe is much better.

Edited by louventoe