Stargazing

b_9904

Hi there!

Wow! I'm glad to know na meron nang group na ganito dito. One new reason why I have to go here :-)

I was supposed to attend a stargazing session organized by Astroleague Philippines late last year but the rains kept coming and the sessions kept getting cancelled.

So until now I am still hoping that one day I can be with people who knows how to chart the skies and tell me a thing or two about the stars (aside from the books).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I may call myself a stargazer in my own special way. Compared to my nephew, who has his own telescope & even draws & paint the constellations in his spare time, I'm just a newbie but I had my own share of stargazing experiences.

Like what I said, I don't have a telescope but I usually look at the sky at night & I've seen a few of those constellations. Sadly, I can only identify the Big dipper (Ursa Major). I cannot name the other groups of stars I see every night but it's nice to be able to follow their movements & position each night. There's even this group of stars w/c move from the East to the West w/c I always look at in a clear night sky. I watched this movie w/c mentioned of a group of stars. One of the protagonist mentioned that it was the Hunter's Stars. I think it's actually Sagitarius and the movie's title was "10,000 BC".

Anyway, I think I can also see Orion but then I'm not sure if it's really Orion or some other group of stars. Perhaps I might go & acquire a star chart/map one of these days.

I guess I may call myself a stargazer in my own special way. Compared to my nephew, who has his own telescope & even draws & paint the constellations in his spare time, I'm just a newbie but I had my own share of stargazing experiences.

Like what I said, I don't have a telescope but I usually look at the sky at night & I've seen a few of those constellations. Sadly, I can only identify the Big dipper (Ursa Major). I cannot name the other groups of stars I see every night but it's nice to be able to follow their movements & position each night. There's even this group of stars w/c move from the East to the West w/c I always look at in a clear night sky. I watched this movie w/c mentioned of a group of stars. One of the protagonist mentioned that it was the Hunter's Stars. I think it's actually Sagitarius and the movie's title was "10,000 BC".

Anyway, I think I can also see Orion but then I'm not sure if it's really Orion or some other group of stars. Perhaps I might go & acquire a star chart/map one of these days.

Orion's my favorite constellation... kasi it's the easiest to see and it's symmetrical...

wala lang... just sharing... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a seminar for this hobby like photography? Is this hobby expensive? How much do i need? I really want to get into this thing.

You could, of course, take up Astronomy as a degree. O kaya punta ka lang sa Observatory.

OR humiga ka lang sa damuhan at manood ng stars. Okay na yun, there isn't much else needed for you to appreciate the beauty of the night sky.

Tapos gumamit ka ng star maps para malaman mo pangalan nung mga nakikita mo, solb na!

Hi,

This thread is about STARGAZING abd everything connected with it.

Share your experiences, practices, where you could buy astronomical telescopes (astro scope), its astro scope parts, etc.

at 17, i used to be one of the first batch members of astronomical society of the philippines. we made our own lenses for reflective teles. i bought my meade when i was 23 but i gave it to my high school nephew who was more enthusiastic than i was. now i'm contented using a 20deg-30deg planisphere and a binoculars.

if it's stargazing only with your naked eyes, ilocos nights are tops. they're mostly cloudless probably because of their location's predominantly hot weather. i always time my trips there so it's new moon. it's worth mentioning that after spending a few hours in a ktv there, i went back to my hotel around midnight, i was surprised to see some tourists staring the star-filled sky. it turned out they requested the hotel (located outside laoag) to turn off the lights outside that night. so i joined them lying on our backs and admiring what i haven't seen since childhood. i didn't have to use binoculars but orion nebula never looked much better. i'd say it's a night filled with stars, even mag 4 stars stared back at my old eyes. yeah, i felt the same what a frenchman exclaimed later: c'est magnifique!

fyi: iphone and itouch owners can use Pocket Universe to point the unit to a particular star to know it's name (aside from some paltry info). that's how i've learned i was looking at some mag 4 stars. i envied the young ones that night, i'm sure they saw fainter objects. but for an oldtimer, i was the happiest in that group

to the new enthusiasts:

"arc to arcturus, then speak to spica"

Edited by remoteworld
  • 4 weeks later...

i'm still using starry night software. it's a very old version but still the best for me.

for beginners who want to familiarize themselves with the constellations and bright stars my personal best recommendation is "A Walk Through the Heavens" by Heifetz and Tirion. if national bookstore doesn't carry it, try amazon.com

• 1 month later...

Nung bata ako at nasa probinsya ako (somewhere in northern luzon) talagang mahilig akong mag star gazing, at pag super down ako, lagi kong hinahanap yung constelation na Crux, pero hirap kasing mag stargazing dito sa manila, kelangan talaga yung open space at madilim (walang skyscraper na nagpapaliwanag ng paligid at usok na galing sa pabrika)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Namiss ko stargazing..sa province kasi namin mula nung bata pa ko walang kuryente, tatambay kami sa tabing dagat nakahiga sa buhangin and you can see the stars end to end dahil nga madilim, but mas magnda tingnan kung nasa laot habang nakahiga sa bangka..lots of shooting stars,bright stars...parang connect the dots para makabuo ng figures, constellations.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...