Stargazing

b_9904

funny it is but I didnt! Mas nauna pa yung tuwa ko kesa sa wish :lol:

:upside:

sayang! 3 wishes din yun.

anyway, why dont you try getting deeper into astronomy you dont need a scope kahit binocs or naked eye ok na yun

Edited by b_9904

^mukhang random.

Anyway, I've shot a picture of mars, afocal, through my 10x50mm binocs.

(Afocal means shotting a camera directly through the eye piece of a binoc or telescope)

I'll post something pag nakuhanan ko mars ng maayos mamayang gabi.

PS: here is a link how to do it afocal: Click here and also THIS as a backgrounder

Edited by b_9904
:upside:

sayang! 3 wishes din yun.

anyway, why dont you try getting deeper into astronomy you dont need a scope kahit binocs or naked eye ok na yun

honga eh kaso ayoko mag stargazing dito sa labas namin.. masyadong madaming puno eh tapos madilim pa. I hate that. hehe sana makakita ulit ako ng 'sporadics' :)

kung mukhang random yung point of origin nila, malamang sporadics yun

wow! thats cool :) tuwing kelan ulit yun? every november right? hmmmm..

just want to share this image...taken last November 2007 using a Canon EOS 400D, 200mm lens, 2 minute exposure time, f29, ISO 400. No digital post processing was used to produce this image.

Oh and by the way, the bright trail was made by Venus.

this is nice :thumbsupsmiley:

I wish I can capture this on my canon camera too!

Edited by wastedsunshine

hi, i don't have any special equipment but i live in the province and on a clear night from my own backyard i can see the milky way. now once in a while i see articles about a meteor shower or some astrological thing going on and the website points me to look at a certain quadrant or look for a star... is there a guide on how to look for these quadrants or stars?

unfortunately the only stars i know of are the big dipper and the little dipper stars. sometimes i can spot venus, but that's about it... is there a simple guide for laymen like me?

wastedsunshine... now i know why you chose that name. you prefer the night! hahahahaha!

hi, i don't have any special equipment but i live in the province and on a clear night from my own backyard i can see the milky way. now once in a while i see articles about a meteor shower or some astrological thing going on and the website points me to look at a certain quadrant or look for a star... is there a guide on how to look for these quadrants or stars?

unfortunately the only stars i know of are the big dipper and the little dipper stars. sometimes i can spot venus, but that's about it... is there a simple guide for laymen like me?

Learn how to read sky charts.

I posted some link in the previous page, try reading them.

Here is some tips in reading sky charts:

1) Imagine the circular sky chart is a dome on top of your head.

2) From the big or little dipper, or any other constellation or astrological "landmark" you are familiar with, hop from one constellation to the other until you find the area you want to observe.

3) Learning the sky chart might be difficult at first BUT it is very rewarding AFTER you've learned it. Also it helps if you are using an updated print out. (A sky chart become harder to read after a few hours)

4) and lastly BE PATIENT (AMP, hirap talaga mag basa ng sky chart pag baguhan ka, i had to struggle last night just trying to locate the star Nath on taurus, and the constellations gemini, cancer, and leo)

Edited by b_9904
honga eh kaso ayoko mag stargazing dito sa labas namin.. masyadong madaming puno eh tapos madilim pa. I hate that. hehe sana makakita ulit ako ng 'sporadics' :)

wow! thats cool :) tuwing kelan ulit yun? every november right? hmmmm..

this is nice :thumbsupsmiley:

I wish I can capture this on my canon camera too!

for anyone who is interested, here is a link to the calendar of meteor showers for 2008 http://www.imo.net/calendar/2008

wastedsunshine, if you have a DSLR camera, a stable tripod and a remote shutter, you can start capturing your own images. it's fun! :thumbsupsmiley:

b_9904, dude I suggest kumuha ka ng tripod for your binocs. you can also build your own, otherwise most of the images you will get are fuzzy. also, try making a camera adaptor for your binocs para hindi mo sila hawak ng sabay. keep it up!

steven_crimes, I suggest you familiarize yourself first with the different constellations (there are 88). there are a lot of information about them in the internet. also, it's ASTRONOMICAL...not astrological. Astronomy is an actual science while astrology has no scientific basis (see related thread in Supernatural and Occult). I just hate it when people confuse astronomy with astrology. no offense dude! :)

i'll try to post some additional photos in the future. I haven't been doing much astrophotography lately due to my work (also astronomy related). in addition, it's freaking freezing at night here at my place, 0 degrees on the average. sayang nga kasi dec-mar is the best time to observe!

b_9904, dude I suggest kumuha ka ng tripod for your binocs. you can also build your own, otherwise most of the images you will get are fuzzy. also, try making a camera adaptor for your binocs para hindi mo sila hawak ng sabay. keep it up!

thanks for the tip. I have a scope which i'll use this weekend. I'll try to attach the digicam there.

i'll post another pix soon.

wastedsunshine, if you have a DSLR camera, a stable tripod and a remote shutter, you can start capturing your own images. it's fun! :thumbsupsmiley:

on a side note, anyone with a SLR camera that uses film can also take astrophotos. (although digital is still the best way to go)

true you can still use film SLR cameras, but given this day and age, mas less costly pag digital. you get to see the images immediately. however, film astrophotography still works well, especially if your film is hypered.

another suggestion b_9904, try using the timer function of your camera to minimize shakes when taking an image.

true you can still use film SLR cameras, but given this day and age, mas less costly pag digital. you get to see the images immediately. however, film astrophotography still works well, especially if your film is hypered.

another suggestion b_9904, try using the timer function of your camera to minimize shakes when taking an image.

Thanks for the tip.

hypered meaning pinainit mo muna yung film para super sensitive sa light?

Thanks for the tip.

hypered meaning pinainit mo muna yung film para super sensitive sa light?

Hypersensitization or hypering is the process of placing the film in a vacuum for several hours or days, baking the film in hydrogen (or forming gas) and storing the film in a container of dry nitrogen. it increases the film speed and reduces reciprocity failure. medyo matrabaho ang hypering but you can buy, di ko lang alam kung may available sa pinas.

for anyone who is interested, here is a link to the calendar of meteor showers for 2008 http://www.imo.net/calendar/2008

steven_crimes, I suggest you familiarize yourself first with the different constellations (there are 88). there are a lot of information about them in the internet. also, it's ASTRONOMICAL...not astrological. Astronomy is an actual science while astrology has no scientific basis (see related thread in Supernatural and Occult). I just hate it when people confuse astronomy with astrology. no offense dude! :)

oh my god i apologize, you're absolutely right. i look like a fool, kakahiya. hehehehe. it IS astronomical and NOT astrological. astrology deals with the horoscopes and divination and such. my bad. i stand corrected!

and yeah... it is kinda tough reading those charts! wish i could print them in large format, would be easier to read the stars that way

Learn how to read sky charts.

I posted some link in the previous page, try reading them.

Here is some tips in reading sky charts:

1) Imagine the circular sky chart is a dome on top of your head.

2) From the big or little dipper, or any other constellation or astrological "landmark" you are familiar with, hop from one constellation to the other until you find the area you want to observe.

3) Learning the sky chart might be difficult at first BUT it is very rewarding AFTER you've learned it. Also it helps if you are using an updated print out. (A sky chart become harder to read after a few hours)

4) and lastly BE PATIENT (AMP, hirap talaga mag basa ng sky chart pag baguhan ka, i had to struggle last night just trying to locate the star Nath on taurus, and the constellations gemini, cancer, and leo)

sana nga i could print out the charts in a large format so i can read them better. this weekend i'll have to take the laptop with me and use that for the meantime while i'm outside... at night.... boy my neighbors will probably be soooooooo curious about what the heck i'm doing. it doesn't help that they already think i'm weird :upside:

sana nga i could print out the charts in a large format so i can read them better. this weekend i'll have to take the laptop with me and use that for the meantime while i'm outside... at night.... boy my neighbors will probably be soooooooo curious about what the heck i'm doing. it doesn't help that they already think i'm weird :upside:

You could!!!!

I mean you are only limited to how big your printer is.

I use short bond paper print outs and that, for me atlease, is enough.

anyway, a laptop is way better than having a print out (I wish i have a laptop to bring with me in my sessions.).

Don't worry about being called weird. i almost got beaten up by a group of squatter kids, coz they thought i was going crazy, but they didnt stop me from taking my first astrophoto.

CLEAR SKIES DUDE (means good luck)

ps: put a red celophane on your laptop screen so you could preserve your night adaptation.

Hypersensitization or hypering is the process of placing the film in a vacuum for several hours or days, baking the film in hydrogen (or forming gas) and storing the film in a container of dry nitrogen. it increases the film speed and reduces reciprocity failure. medyo matrabaho ang hypering but you can buy, di ko lang alam kung may available sa pinas.

ahhh, hehehe yun pala yun.

toxic nun a, buti i have a digicam :-)

thanks.

PS: Tried shooting Mars though the digicam itself, heheh buti nalang at kiha pa din although dimmer.

PEEPS!

Try looking for the great orion nebula (m42).

From orion's belt (my gf calls it tres maria; dunno why) go south a little bit and you'll find them there. it's visible with the naked eye. (here in manila nakikita ko lang siya with my binocs).

PS: it should look like a small blob of grey cloud.

ahhh, hehehe yun pala yun.

toxic nun a, buti i have a digicam :-)

thanks.

PS: Tried shooting Mars though the digicam itself, heheh buti nalang at kiha pa din although dimmer.

Digicam would suffice. Just make an adapter and get a tripod for your setup. You can even hook up your webcam to you binocs or scope. Then, you can do image alignment and stacking which increases the signal-to-noise ratio (improves image quality). You can do this manually using softwares like Photoshop, but there are also freewares that does these automatically like Registax.

M42 is very visible right now, along with the Pleiades cluster (M45) in Taurus. I heard people call this the Rosary. It's amazing to look at M45 coz they look like sparkling jewels.

M42 is very visible right now, along with the Pleiades cluster (M45) in Taurus. I heard people call this the Rosary. It's amazing to look at M45 coz they look like sparkling jewels.

I've read about stacking. buti nalang marunong ako sa adobe photoshop hehehe

I'll look for m45, rosary?!?!?! yeah I know what it looks like pero hindi ko alam m45 pala yun. hehehe

Thanks for the infos.

Anyway, wish me luck in attaching my digicam to my scope. I'll post the pics

I've read about stacking. buti nalang marunong ako sa adobe photoshop hehehe

I'll look for m45, rosary?!?!?! yeah I know what it looks like pero hindi ko alam m45 pala yun. hehehe

Thanks for the infos.

Anyway, wish me luck in attaching my digicam to my scope. I'll post the pics

Actually, the name of M45 is Pleaides. Good luck and clear skies!

You could!!!!

I mean you are only limited to how big your printer is.

I use short bond paper print outs and that, for me atlease, is enough.

anyway, a laptop is way better than having a print out (I wish i have a laptop to bring with me in my sessions.).

Don't worry about being called weird. i almost got beaten up by a group of squatter kids, coz they thought i was going crazy, but they didnt stop me from taking my first astrophoto.

CLEAR SKIES DUDE (means good luck)

ps: put a red celophane on your laptop screen so you could preserve your night adaptation.

yup will do! thanks for the help. it's a rainy weekend so maybe next weekend!