Which Do You Prefer: Glasses Or Contact Lenses?

Batabatuta™

I started wearing prescription eyeglasses when I was around 27 years old, then switched to contact lenses 2 years after.

I wear soft lenses but I've already lost soooo many! Luckily, both lenses have the same grade. Many times, the lenses get lost in the office, so when this happens, all I have to do is call the optical shop and inform them that I instructed my messenger to go there to buy a lens.

Lately though, age has caught up on me, and I'm starting to have difficulty reading when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I have many pairs of reading glasses as well (one for use with contact lenses, another to use when I'm not wearing contact lenses, and still another to be worn when I'm on the computer) but I DO NOT LIKE to use any of them (in denial ako!).

Because of this, I now tend to wear my distance glasses more often than my contact lenses. Everytime I need to read something, I just remove my glasses, simple!

For me the perfect mix would be multicoated photochromic progressive bifocals (aka shades na doble vista). But as I said, in denial ako, never will I order bifocals! That would be a dead giveaway of my age!

Just want to share the hazards of aging, someday you will be here too! :cry:

got both contacts and prescription lenses....

usually use contacts when im into sports... but most of the time I just use my glasses at home and at work..

preferred contacts:

Durasoft colorblends and BL clear (extended wear)

for my glasses:

there is this shop in Quiapo that provides good service, cheap and and quality service din naman.... yo can get branded frames at a lower cost than those in the malls!

i have multi coated progressive bifocals on a burberry tortoise frame but i hardly wear them except when I read contracts.

progressive lenses (mine are distance upper and reading lower) are perhaps the most overrated and more expensive option for those who have nothing much to do with their money! what i don't like about them is that you don't have peripheral vision, so you can't see a beautiful girl walk by without turning your head! :angry: you need to look directly, e d bisto ka pag kasama mo si misis!!!! :lol:

for my glasses:

there is this shop in Quiapo that provides good service, cheap and and quality service din naman.... yo can get branded frames at a lower cost than those in the malls!

you are right, that shop in quiapo near raon area (kalimot ko na name) is where the big optical shops send their orders for lenses and frames...kaya mas mura, parang outlet ba..i used to go there to order my eyeglasses and buy my contact lenses solutions. every year kasi nag i-increase ang grade ng mata ko at syempre studyante, kailangang tipirin ang allowance, hehehe

I've been wearing eyeglasses since I was a high school senior. And to complete the nerdy look, I had braces in college too. Ahihihi. :P

I've only worn a pair of contact lenses once and that was during my college graduation when I had to do a speech that made the parents and the nuns cry. :blush: I've never worn contacts after that day. Di ko feel eh. I feel as if I'm half-me (manananggal? :blink: ) if I don't have my specs on. It's like my security blanket, I guess. :)

By the way, the only thing I hate about wearing eyeglasses is the "misty look" that happens during winter. When I walk too fast to the bus station and stop to catch my breath, my pair of specs is clouded with mist. Wala naman akong wiper. Ahihihi. :D

Back in 'pinas, the "misty look" occured whenever I got off an airconditioned bus. It was a bit irritating because I couldn't see where I was without taking off my specs so I always bumped into someone who was ahead of me. Kakahiya. :blush:

By the way, the only thing I hate about wearing eyeglasses is the "misty look" that happens during winter. When I walk too fast to the bus station and stop to catch my breath, my pair of specs is clouded with mist.  Wala naman akong wiper.  Ahihihi.  :D

Back in 'pinas, the "misty look" occured whenever I got off an airconditioned bus.  It was a bit irritating because I couldn't see where I was without taking off my specs so I always bumped into someone who was ahead of me.  Kakahiya.  :blush:

try getting a lens with anti-fog feature..or if there isn't available at your optician's there is an anti-fog spray. the spray doesn't necessarily irradicate the foggy thing on your lenses but it sure minimizes it. i had the same problem before and i discovered those spray from a mask (teargas/firemen's mask) store and tried it. too much hassle though, that's why i started to wear the dispo contacts - the only kind i can wear since i tend to have some reaction with those extended contacts due to enzyme build up.

but i love that there are now so many choices with regards to lenses..ultra thin, scratch-resistant, anti-glare, smudge repellent, photochromic, etc.... I wish they had those when I was in college, my life would have been easier then :D

you are right, that shop in quiapo near raon area (kalimot ko na name) is where the big optical shops send their orders for lenses and frames...kaya mas mura, parang outlet ba..i used to go there to order my eyeglasses and buy my contact lenses solutions. every year kasi nag i-increase ang grade ng mata ko at syempre studyante, kailangang tipirin ang allowance, hehehe

wow meron palang shop na mura lang? san yun specifically?

i've been born with myopic eyes, been wearing glasses since 1st grade

i wear contact lenses on special occassions, when i need to look really good hehe :D

oh, also when i do sports :)

the hassle of maintenance is the downfall of the contact lens

:mtc:

try getting a lens with anti-fog feature..or if there isn't available at your optician's there is an anti-fog spray. the spray doesn't necessarily irradicate the foggy thing on your lenses but it sure minimizes it. i had the same problem before and i discovered those spray from a mask (teargas/firemen's mask) store and tried it. too much hassle though, that's why i started to wear the dispo contacts - the only kind i can wear since i tend to have some reaction with those extended contacts due to enzyme build up.

freakish, thanks for that info! I'm scheduled to get new lenses this coming April so I'll definitely ask my optometrist if she has any available. I didn't know that an anti-fog spray existed until you told me. Again, thank you. Now I can see clearly again. Ahihihi. :thumbsupsmiley:

wow meron palang shop na mura lang? san yun specifically?

i've been born with myopic eyes, been wearing glasses since 1st grade

i wear contact lenses on special occassions, when i need to look really good hehe :D

oh, also when i do sports  :)

the hassle of maintenance is the downfall of the contact lens

:mtc:

it is around the Raon area dun sa pagbaba mo ng overpass across G. Puyat st sa quiapo...just before the electronic shops. nakalimutan ko na name nung store na yun (been ages ago, hehehe) but i know they are still in business. During my time, pede ka pang makabili dun ng isang piece ng extended contacts (in case nawala or napunit ung kaparis)...

so far naman ngayun kasi meron ng "No Rub" solutions and the multipurpose ones, it is easier to maintain.

advantage din ng dispo di mo na kelangan ibabad sa special solution or ipa-boil sa lab..after two weeks, tapon na (or kung daily tapon na agad, mas mahal lang ang daily).

freakish, thanks for that info!  I'm scheduled to get new lenses this coming April so I'll definitely ask my optometrist if she has any available.  I didn't know that an anti-fog spray existed until you told me.  Again, thank you.  Now I can see clearly again.  Ahihihi. :thumbsupsmiley:

ahihihii..me too, i never knew that until I found that mask shop ( i was looking for firemen's mask for a volunteer fireman friend in Pinas) and I saw it. It was in a plastic bottle very similar to lens' cleaner bottle. You might find some too from stores selling paintball supplies (my husband uses them on his paintball mask too, heheh)or from optical shops (of course!!heheh...might as well pay attention to those accs and things they are selling).

here's a link to a website:

http://www.c-clear.biz/bottles.html

heto lang advice ko bago kayo mag decide kung eyeglasses o contact lens ang gagamitin nyo.

kung sa tingin nyo ay gwapo at maganda kayo, go ahead and use contact lens.

pero sa mga "facially challenged" dyan, meaning di gaanong gwapo o maganda, i suggest

na mag eyeglasses na lang kayo na may konting tint. this way mas matatakpan ang mukha nyo

na hindi masyadong appealing sa ibang tao :D