Tips For The Newly Graduates

:thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

share naman kayo ng tips, do's and dont's, and views about :

- job hunting (information and techniques)

- job interviews (usual questions and best answers)

- resume

- self confidence (what to do when ure oh so nervous)

- starting salary and employers

- sss, tax, tin, benefits etc etc etc

- freelancer (may money ba dto?)

- call centers

Edited by chinita168
  • Like (+1) 1

My comments for Chinita:

On job hunting:

Choose a career that you really like, probably related to your course and not because its a fad or its pays high.

Likewise, choose a company that you believe in or something that youll be proud of.

On job interviews:

Be on time or if possible 15 min. ahead of time so you can relax.

Be courteous to your interviewer

You dont have to worry about the questions, they are just validating whats on your resume, do hope you know everything that youve put in there.

Ask questions after the interviewer is done interviewing you. Except salary related questions, its a major turn off for most employers.

Maintain eye contact please!

On preaparing a resume:

Just keep it short and simple. Dont over emphasize your strengths or job description there because that will be tackled in the interview.

On self confidence:

In case of butterflies in the stomach, before entering the room or cubicle of the interviewer, take a deep breath, show aggressiveness and shake the hand of the interviewer.

On starting salary:

Hmmm good question, right now the minimum salary is P7,000++ for clerical workers.

For the call center industry 10k to 15k plus allowances.

I know that most of you fresh grads are very particular with this but you still have to prove yourself first, before you can demand a premium. You earn it through experience, choose a career, a certain field, dont jump from one career to another for this will have negative bearing on you.

On freelance stints:

Depends on the work but most of the time a freelancers job is seasonal.

On the Call Center industry:

Its a sunrise industry, however the challenge lies in your ability to speak in English as this will be the main factor for them to hire you, as mentioned above the pay here is good, the flipside of this is late working hours, but if you can endure that then there wont be a problem

Hope I ws able to enlighten you, feel free to ask me for other h.r. related concerns.

If you are looking for a job then do not hesitate to pm me as well....

there are a lot of ways to do this. classified adds, online job databases like jobstreet, dbjobs etc etc. ..r through friends who are already working. the key is when you look for a job, know what you really want to do and know what you want to specialize in. for companies, try to research information about the company, it's business nature, work environment plus the proximity to your home.

well, interview questions are very diversed. it would always depend on the interviewer and what he wants to know. of course it includes the basic questions referring to some personal information, school background and some things in your resume. aside from this, some companies like in the company i am connected with, behavioral interviewing is one technique we use. Where in situational questions are presented which can elicit your particular reaction as you answer. very tricky. :P there is no wrong or right answers, but key is you have to impress your interviewer and give her the notion that you are worth the position. another thing, the first 5-10 mins of the interview is critical. this is where impressions are created. take note of that..you should be able to send positive messages to your interviewer from the moment you step in the interview room.

- resume

since i am involve with staffing and handling college programs, this includes my interaction with so many resumes. the key in writing one is stating your skills and accomplishments. detailed but brief writing of the impact of each skills or accomplishments. include also non curricular activities even social involvements. though academic excellence is still being considered..gone are the days that this is the priority. we see to it too that aside from academics, the person should be excelling in his social activities. but it would always be a plus if you excel in your academics. Consider too the formating of your resume. the simpler the better.

-self confidence (what to do when ure oh so nervous)

hmmm...compose yourself. think positive. deep breath.

for newly grad, normally it is around 15,000 - 18,000. for me it is better to have a multinational company as employers. in considering salary, don't be deceived by the base pay, consider also the full compensation benefits that the company is giving. important to consider: medical benefits, bonuses, leave treatments and most of all professional and personal growth opportunities.

money is not guaranteed but there are opportunities kasi you own your time and makakagawa ka ng sarili mong diskarte. you must have ample amount of connections to succeed. like what they've stated...seasonal ito.

- call centers

Emerging market currently sa Phils ito. In terms of stability, I am not sure. So if you plan to be in this kind of work environment, I suggest you go to the more stabilized call centers around. Call centers in the country are like mushrooms...nagsusulp*tan bigla ngayon. you can choose to be in this kind of field. I heard pay is really good, kaya lang sacrifice ka sa shifting schedule. Growth opportunity according to my friends who are connected with call centers, di ganun kabilis ang growth career wise. if you'll ask me...wag naman sana magalit ang mga bros and sisters here who are in call centers, if you have more opportunities in regular jobs..dun ka na lang muna to gain experience.

Here's a tip (several) :

More often than not (just my personal opinion) the actual interview event would the first time the interviewer has actually taken a good long look at your resume, so you know more about the subject matter (yourself) than he or she does.

Show interest in the company by asking smart questions. What does the company look for in entry-level staff that sets them apart from the rest? What's the basis or criteria used for promotion? How often are the performance reviews? Are goals made up and discussed with the staff? What are this company's mission statement and core values? Ask if you can see an origanization chart of the department.

Asking these questions show that you have the foresight to move forward with the company, and that you're not just trying to get it. It shows you have a vision and a plan for yourself.

Research on the company on the Net, but don't memorize lines from it because it'll make you look like you're using a textbook approach. It's ok if you don't understand the info in the website, what's important is that you nothered to read it and you have enough curiosity to ask questions.

One last thing - speak up! Nothing dampens an interview more than a meek and inaudible voice.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out. I'm glad to be help :)

DON'T BE PICKY. YOUR FIRST JOB WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE YOUR LAST. IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE TORTURE, STAY AT LEAST 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR. NO ONE LIKES FICKLE AND FLIGHTY EMPLOYEES. IT WON'T LOOK GOOD ON YOUR RESUME.

TRITE. BUT JUST BE YOURSELF. I DON'T KNOW HOW BUT HR PEOPLE CAN TELL WHEN YOU'RE NOT BEING TRUTHFUL. BE HONEST. BE CONFIDENT. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SELL YOURSELF.

- resume

KEEP THEM CONCISE, STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. UNLESS THEY ASK FOR A CURRICULUM VITAE, DON'T GIVE ONE. REFERENCES SHOULDN'T BE LISTED OUTRIGHT. SAY "Available upon request".

I ALSO DON'T SEE THE POINT OF RESUMES THAT DETAIL DESCRIPTIONS FOR EACH CLASS PROJECT OR EVEN EACH JOB MILESTONE. YOU CAN TALK ABOUT THESE DURING THE INTERVIEW.

GET USED TO IT. COPE. IF YOU DON'T GROW A SPINE NOW, WHEN WILL YOU EVER HAVE IT?

STARTING SALARY WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH FOR YOUR NEEDS. ACTUALLY, NO SALARY WILL EVER BE ENOUGH FOR YOUR NEEDS. YOU WILL FIND THAT AS YOU ARE PAID MORE, YOU WILL ALSO FIND MORE TO SPEND ON. I THINK IT'S A MATTER OF LEARNING TO LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS. THE EARLIER YOU LEARN THIS, THE EASIER IT WILL BE. AND DON'T EVER EVER GET A CREDIT CARD. IF YOU DO, JUST GET ONE AND USE IT ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES. AND ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES. EMERGENCIES ARE NOT SHOES ON SALE!

AS FOR EMPLOYERS, LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL GET. IF ITS YOUR MISFORTUNE TO GET A TERROR BOSS AND HORRIBLE COLLEAGUES, ALL I CAN SAY IS TOUGHEN UP. DO YOUR WORK, TRY NOT TO GET EMBROILED IN OFFICE GOSSIP. KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN AND GET OUT AFTER SIX MONTHS OR A YEAR IF YOU REALLY CAN'T TAKE IT.

SSS AND TAX ARE THE NECESSARY EVILS OF MY LIFE. MY SALARY IS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED BECAUSE OF THEM. BENEFITS ARE COOL WHEN YOU HEAR ABOUT THEM. BUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, YOU PROBABLY WON'T EVEN HAVE TO CASH THEM IN.

YES THERE IS MONEY IN THIS. AND IT'S GREAT BECAUSE YOU OWN YOUR TIME AND DICTATE YOUR RATES. HOWEVER, THE ONLY WAY THIS WILL WORK IS IF YOU TREAT IT LIKE ANY OTHER JOB. YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SELF-DISCIPLINE TO DEDICATE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME FOR YOUR FREELANCE PROJECT WHETHER EVERYDAY OR EVERY OTHER DAY. LIKE A PLANT, IT DIES WITHOUT WATER. SO PRINKLE SPRINKLE SPRINKLE.

- call centers

GREAT AS A TRANSITION JOB OR AS A STARTING ONE. I PERSONALLY WILL ADVISE AGAINST MAKING IT A CAREER. ONLY BECAUSE A JOB THAT IS AS REPETITVE AS ANSWERING CALLS FOR 12 HOURS EVERYDAY IS NOT EXACTLY ONE I WILL WISH FOR ANYONE TO DO. BUT THOSE WHO WORK IN CALL CENTERS WILL TELL YOU OTHERWISE, I'M SURE. BUT MORE THAN THE BIG STARTING SALARY AND THE OTHER CASH BONUSES YOU'LL RECEIVE IN BOUNDS, YOU HAVE TO REALIZE WHAT THIS JOB REALLY ENTAILS. IF YOU THINK YOU CAN BE CHAINED TO A CHAIR, WITH AN EARPHONE, TALKING TO FOREIGNERS ABOUT THEIR COMPUTERS OR TRYING TO SELL INTERNET CONNECTIONS, THEN GO FOR IT.

job hunting

--check the website of the company you're trying to apply in

job interviews

--just be honest

--never use a fake english accent

resume

--never pad your resume

--your resume should never be more than 2 pages

--always summarize your career (or objectives) in the first half of the first page

self confidence

--smile. even nervous smiles can help

starting salary and employers

--note that different industries have different pay levels

--don't focus on monetary rewards. look at the benefits, work environment, and possible career opportunities if you move to this company.

emulate successful people in the field (how and where did they start), purchase manila bulletin or go to job fairs (preferably in up)

it would be tiring do walk-ins. and, there is a huge possibility that your application would be unnoticed.

be smart, sincere and humble.

- resume

2 pages max.

smile and maintain your composure.

industry rate.. more or less 9k (minimum)

don't be afraid to try out huge firms (buy forbes, look at the top companies' listing)

ask the human resources department...

yep, or should i say marami

- call centers

go, this may not be a lifetime job. but, what the hell... you are a fresh grad. this may be a good starting ground to save some money (for succeeding job huntings... hehehehe)

hope this helps :)

Edited by lovelybabe

Before going job hunting, it is often wiser to have a selection of jobs that one would rather NOT take. This is because, sometimes, one applies at so many places that one fails to realize the actual position being offered.

After this, make a list of companies one would prefer to work in and try to find someone who might know somebody already employed there. Having a contact might open doors that are otherwise barred.

The list of questions varies from place to place. Although it tends to be a series of questions to determine one's suitability for the company. It is often conducted by professionals who are looking at how one answers as much as what one answers.

Answer as honestly as possible in a firm and decisive manner. I know the temptation to lie is there, but if one is found out, then rejection is almost certain.

- resume

Have a complete resume, preferably legibly written and clarified as much as possible. Some companies prefer having actual photos, others prefer scanned photos attached to the resume.

Have confidence? Seriously, most people feel the butterflies in their stomachs when applying for a job (except for people who've been fired so often than seeking a new job is standard fare). Just grab the bull by the horns, take deep breathes and answer firmly and decisively. Try not to fidget, keep your hands flat on the table.

Depends on what kind of job and company.

My advise is to secure one's TIN as early as possible. Though it is hard to do personally, perhaps one has a friend or acquaintance that can ease the trauma of this.

Freelancing is best done by people who can sell themselves already. Those with the experience and rep*tation have an easier time with freelancing. That said, if the line or service one provides is fairly unique ... then there is no real need for the experience or the rep is there?

- call centers

This works for some people, and not for others. It depends on one's temperament and command of the English language.

1. grab the first job that comes your way. do not be too picky.

2. further your education or training while working

3. learn something technical like programming or computer hardware. better yet, learn another language.

4. get a passport and save up for short travels to HK, singapore--- yung hindi kailangan ng visa.

5. after you are established and travelled already, apply for a US visa. many companies offer training abroad and those who have visas are usually the ones sent, especially kapag short notice.

6. one you are abroad, johunt while vacationing. who knows?

7. higit sa lahat, pray and beieve in yourself. always be optimistic. there will always be beter things in store for you.

any more suggestion guys?

well based on my experience, you got to prioritize things that makes you happy after graduating. After the wild years of college life, you deserve to cool down, travel, relax and at the same time prepare resume's, application letter's and check the sunday newspaper. Trial and Error... and don't put too much pressure on job hunting. Get a job that makes you happy (very important). I have been working in an IT company for 3 years now and I sometimes regret the things that I didn't do after finishing my studies. Like learning cinematography, video editing (my part time hobbies) and travelling. Right now, I'm having difficulties in studying in a filmschool and working at the same time. This is based on my opinion though. "life is short, enjoy it the best way you can" goodluck!

I have been both an employee and an employer.

-Tip one less than 15% of available jobs are listed in newspapers.

-The best way to find out about job openings is to go to the companies themselves and visit HRM office.

-If you have a hook up, or connection within a company use it.

-The longer you wait after graduation to start work the more the employer will question in his mind you desire to work.

-Take the first job you can in any large company, there is always room to shift jobs, retrain or shift fields within the larger companies.

-I used to interview about 50 people for each position available.

-education is important but common sense will get my attention more.

-I was always more interested in the applicants that did a followup on their interview, it showed me their commitment potential.

-I never picked someone who used just their education to get the job.

B)

Job Hunting:

job finder websites is your friend.. eto IMPORTANTENG TIP if your going to look for a job over the net, try to avoid sending application emails sa mga company,

kasi from my experience mas effective kung mag browse ka ng job sa net tapos puntahan mo personally yong company..

kasi ang theory kung sa email ka nag apply eh for sure hndi lang ikaw ang mag aapply thru email -sang ka terba ang job hunters ngayon, dadaan pa ng screening

proccess e-application mo bago ka ma pili, whereas kung personal ka pumunta sa company and mag pass ng resume malaki chance mo na makapag exam right then and there.

Tips sa interview:

If its your 1st time job interview natural lang na kakabahan ka, just be your self - kung kalog ka edi ipakita mo na makulit ka (works for me)-, hndi mag tatanong ng

technical stuff ang interviewer mo unless ur applying for a technical position.. isipin mo nalang na kausap mo eh nanay ng bf/gf mo.. wakekeke

never ever make stories na mag papabango ng Resume/Personality mo..

(may compilation ako ng Job Interview Tips and Techniques, if u want i can email it to you PM mo lang ako)

Tips Resume:

for fresh grads medjo wala pa masyado mailalagay sa resume yan.. heres some tips

1. Limit ur resume sa dalawang page lang

2. Avoid unnecessary personal data (parents name, hobbies, influences etc. etc. mag tratrabaho ka hndi ka tatambay sa bahay at susulat sa slum book)

3. If you can limit your educational background sa college level lang much better. In general di ka naman tatanungin ng interviewer mo about primary and secondary educ.

4. additional points kung meron kang work experience or member ka ng School Org (fastfood staff, summer jobs, student council official, PSP ~JoKe~) basta kung sa tingin mo related sa papasukin mong field sige lagay mo.

5. kung wala ka naman work experience at ang experience mo lang eh OJT, isama mo na yon sa Educational Background mo.

Self Confidence:

Just be your self, wag mag paka trying hard kasi nakaka tawa for sure pag tatawanan ka ng interviewer mo pag talikod mo TRUST ME, normal lang na kabahan, kung may kasama kang iinterviewhin kausapin mo, or kung wala naman and ur waiting for your cue kausapin mo si manong guard or si miss receptionist, that way magiging calm and compose ka.

Starting Salary:

Ah dont expect above 10K salary for starters, and dont demand high salary kasi since "newbie" eh wala kapang "Market Value". Most probably eh clerical stuff ka muna, not unless Technical/Skilled Position ang aaplyan mo.

SSS, Tax, Tin, Benefits:

I suggest kumuha kana nyan habang "tambay" kapa and kumuha kana ren ng NBI, Police, Baranggay Clearance kasi hassle ito once mag start kana mag work MANIWALA KA SAKIN!!, pero pwede ren naman na company na mismo ang kukuha nyan for you (SSS,TIN), about sa benefits depende yan sa mapapa sukan mo..

Freelance:

Aba kung mayaman at madami kang connection edi sige~ gaya nga ng sabi nila seasonal to.

Callcenter:

Depende sa skills mo yan... sige go~

enjoy freedom.. preferably 2-3 months or until you can

ask money from the parents. pag nagsimula ang work,

wala na tuloy tuloy na. its like school but a lot more pain

in the a**

pero pag Job interview na, uhmm, after the interview

di ba tatanungin ka, do you have any questions?

ang nabasa ko, magtanong ka tungkol sa job basta

kahit ano na di nakalagy sa Job description.. kasi

nakak create daw ng image na interseted ka talag sa job.

tapos appearance is evrything. job interview ito di sya

gimik. uhmm.. FIRM handshake. it says a lot daw.

un lang naalala ko e.

For newbies, dont think about the first couple of jobs too much as an income source. Think of it as an investment. I would recommend getting a less paying job that has the capability in immersing you in real projects, etc. rather than a better paying job that doesnt teach you anything much. MNCs are good because it gives your experience a bit more credibility.

Para naman dun sa mga experienced na but fishing for a new employer....

<b>- job hunting (information and techniques)</b>

Do not apply for the job if you are unsure if you are qualified!

<b>- job interviews (usual questions and best answers)</b>

Search the internet about interview tips, sample questions and answers, etc. Be prepared for questions that are supposed to catch you off guard like "Tell me about a time when you had to make a judgement call and the decision turned out to be a mistake". Go through your resume/CV and do a mock interview. Practice your answers.

Pay attention to the adjectives/adverbs that the job ad used. Did it say "must be able to efficiently handle concurrent assignments"? Make sure you mention this in your answers... rephrase if necessary.

Always project the impression that you wish to stay in the company and invest years with them. I dont know why some people answer yes to questions like "Do you have plans of moving abroad soon?" or "Do you have any pending applications in other companies?"

<b>- resume</b>

When they ask for a resume, send a resume. If they ask for a CV, send a CV. Also, do NOT include any personal details in them. Companies should NOT require to know them to decide if you are the best fit for a job or not. Personally, I stay away from companies who do these... so unethical and unprofessional. In US its even illegal to ask these and you can actually sue them.

It is a good practice to customize your CV to highlight several things, depending on the job you are applying for and the details in the specific job ad. If the ad is for a Software Engineer for example and requires that you have "keen sense of analysis", then you can maybe put in sa current job description mo... "Part of my responsibilities require me to have a keen sense of analyis"... ok maybe not exactly like that, but you get my point.

Youo have to be able to project yourself as being above what the minimum is. Otherwise, you are just like everyone else who applied for this. Sell yourself.

<b>- starting salary and employers</b>

Know the industry standards. Never talk about salary as a monthly compensation. Always... and I mean always make them discuss the annual package. Ask about how much the net would be. Most importantly, ask about potential increases say in 1 year, or 2 years? How does the management reward accomplishments? etc.

If you think they are offering less than the standard, ask them if they think that rate is competitive. In other words, try to move them on the defensive. Maybe the interviewer can throw in some benefits.

<b>- sss, tax, tin, benefits etc etc etc</b>

This is pretty standard. Not a lot of companies offer good benefits. MNCs medyo ok dito.

<b>- freelancer (may money ba dto?)</b>

This can be extremely lucrative... I did this for quite sometime and even registered my own company name to comply with certain requirements with some clients. But you have to have consulting background and experience to pull this off for more than a year

<b>- call centers</b>

Don't treat this as a career