Lasik Surgery

brentley

I'm nearsight since high school up to now. I'm considering to have a lasik surgery. Can anyone here who have done the lasik surgery give me the advantage and disadvantage? :*

Advantages: if you're error of refraction isn't too high, you get back to 6/6 vision. No more contact lenses or glasses.

Disadvantages: no studies out yet about long-term effects

initial problem with bright lights

corneal donation might not be possible afterwards

One thing I should add. It is not painful during the process as your eyes are numbed, but you will be in pain for a couple days but pain killers will take care of this as well as sleep. You will need someone to help you for a few days.

It takes about 6 months for your eyes to completely heal and for your vision to acheive its peak, mine was 20/15 after 6 mos.

THey give you drops to keep your eyes from healing too fast and scarring over be sure to take them as prescribed.

• 4 weeks later...

Had Laser Surgery at Asian Eye last January 12, 2007. No regrets. Though I have been advised that it takes 3 to 6 months to fully heal. I'm already at 20/20 but the glare at night is a bit hard to get used to. Sabog ang mga ilaw pag tinignan mo. I guess its part of the healing process.

Have been wearing glasses for 27 years of my life. Was not able to do a lot of things because glasses. If you can afford it, go for it. Anyway, they will conduct several eye tests to make sure you are a good candidate for Lasik.

Sa akin, no pain. but supersensitive lang ang paningin mo on the first 3 days. Plus you have to get used to not having glasses. Am on my 3rd month already, pero pag gising ko sa umaga kinakapa ko pa rin salamin ko. hehehe... PM me if you have any questions.

Right.

parang doktor ah...

Asian Eye has an old excimer laser, with an old technology of ablating the eyes, making the surface of the cornea gritty; thats why sabog yung lights at night. New lasers now are gaussian, that ablates the eyes smoothly.

Ok what happens during the eye surgery. They CUT a flap (they just say they make the flap because CUT sounds bad :D ) very thinly so that your cornea gets exposed. Then they fire at the the cornea and reshapes it. Then they put the flap back. Remember the EPETHILIAL FLAP DOES NOT HEAL BACK WHEN CUT. So you will be advised not to rub your eyes so hard FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE because the flap can be removed by doing so. Then wait for the luck you dont get under or overcorrected.

LOOK AT THE TRACK RECORD OF THE DOCTOR so you'd know how may successes he/she had. Even ask him/her about the papers (patient files) to prove it.

But dont be scared, most already have 20/20, 20/15 vision after the surgery. Which is also important ayt.

• 2 weeks later...
I have mine done in February 16, 2007. I was undercorrected and experience halos at nighttime from light source. My doctor told me i will undergo another correction this May 2007 to have a 20/20 vision. But i'm afraid of the halos during night vision.

where did you have your eyes done?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to share my experience after having Lasik last January:

No regrets sa akin. I just came back from Puerto Galera last weekend. Snorkling was great. Ngayon ko lang nakita kung gaano talaga kaganda ang coral reefs and fishes natin dito sa pilipinas. Dati ang labo lahat. Can't wear glasses while snorkling eh. Can't wear contact lenses din naman since my eyes gets irritated when the lenses come in contact with salt water.

Lumiwanag ang mundo! :)

Though I still get some glare at night. I will have my check-up this May. Hopefully i don't have to got through correction.

• 3 weeks later...

have asked my optometrist why she doesnt go for lasik surgery. sagot niya - not yet proven. she prefer to wear eyeglass. mataas ang nearsighted nya - 700. can any eyeglass wearing optometrist mtc member convince me to undergo lasik surgery? am still having doubts.

Edited by alpha quadrant

@anduril64

Where did you get your Supralase procedure done? Here in the Philippines? How was post-op healing in the first few days?

@alpha quadrant

Why are you thinking of getting LASIK? What are YOUR doubts about it? I have -2.00 myopia and I could get it for free from some doctor friends. However, I am not thoroughly inconvenienced by my contact lenses so I don't see the need to call in the favor.

helo doc's , just like to know is it true that not all person are candidates for laser correction . if a candidates have cobwebs or lens replacements , is it possible to get a laser correction for added power , for those super small character printed on small eyedrops or warranty sicker printed inside those cellfones ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yup. mura nga 'to. balita ko nasa 70k pataas ang mga ganitong klaseng surgery. sa tingin ko may side effects din. may nabasa din ako article sa time magazine na hindi safe ung ganitong surgery. but who knows maybe in the future maperpekto na ung ganitong klase ng surgery. wala nang cases na nabubulag after etc.

i'm still hopeful.

Sure ba na P30K for both eyes. Mukha yatang masyadong mura. Baka naman professional fee lang yon wala pa yung gamit ng instruments?
  • 2 weeks later...
helo doc's , just like to know is it true that not all person are candidates for laser correction . if a candidates have cobwebs or lens replacements , is it possible to get a laser correction for added power , for those super small character printed on small eyedrops or warranty sicker printed inside those cellfones ?

The goal of the surgery is to give patient 20/20 best corrected vision. With 20/20, then it is possible to see those small characters. You just have to squint or to move closer.

Overcorrection of the myopia will just cause the opposite problem in the patient.

My sisters getting her eyes done next week. She says P30+ thou (50% off) ang Lasik surgery sa Fatima Hospital. Are there any other cheaper treatments that any can recommend? Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

yup. mura nga 'to. balita ko nasa 70k pataas ang mga ganitong klaseng surgery. sa tingin ko may side effects din. may nabasa din ako article sa time magazine na hindi safe ung ganitong surgery. but who knows maybe in the future maperpekto na ung ganitong klase ng surgery. wala nang cases na nabubulag after etc.

i'm still hopeful.

I agree that 30k is very cheap. While its possible that that price is already all-inclusive, I believe the average going rate is around 55-70k and upwards.

Personally, I believe that LASIK, done properly, is quite safe. It's true that since its a relatively new procedure, there are very few long term studies that can show its long term effects, but so far, its all been quite positive.

Edited by Smooth T
  • 4 weeks later...