Food TV Shows/Cooking Shows/Food Critics/Chefs (Foreign & Local)

i was a bit shocked when the woman beside Claude immediately replied "pampanga first, philippines second" to Chef Bourdains question. Claude was obviously thinking of a more politically correct reply.

Tayag and his wife won't be the first ones to say it nor will they be the last.

Regionalism and clan affinity still hold sway, ganun lang talaga.

Edited by gift_of_game
  • 2 weeks later...
the first part of the episode was quite good, but it was all down hill when he got in the plane to cebu, it only picked up

again when the lechon cebu scene came up. it was kinda painful to see bourdain's soft side. the augusto angle wasnt

really working and was just a waste of time. this guy wasnt really "representin". they could have flown to cebu and

grabbed any guy on the street to show them around and it would have been a far much better show. i think they dropped

the ball when they got augusto to tag along. i mean, heres a guy who wasnt even born in the phil., was only there once

for a week, and he had this "crisis" of not knowing what his roots are. i understand their angle of having augusto touch

bases with his "roots" but he obviously was lost in an environment he didnt know anything about. what made things worst

was he didnt know what the hell he was doing there. it was so obvious that he wasnt really close with his cebuano family

to begin with. HE WASNT THE ENTHUSIASTIC GUY HE SEEMED TO PORTRAY WHEN HE INVITED BOURDAIN TO COME TO

THE PHIL, A COUNTRY HE CLAIMS TO KNOW...LAKAS NG LOOB NIYANG SABIHIN NA HE WOULD TOUR BOURDAIN

AROUND. IN MY OPINION, BOURDAIN AND THE PRODUCERS WERE SHORT CHANGED BY THIS CONFUSED YOUNG MAN.

so to augusto, DUDE, LET ME MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR YOU. YOU AINT FILIPINO, YOU WERE BORN IN THE STATES, YOU

LIVE IN NEW YORK...YOURE AMERICAN...SO PLEASE LEAVE OUR 3RD WORLD COUNTRY ASS ALONE.

I ALSO FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT BOURDAIN WOULD HAVE VISITED THE PHIL. EVEN WITHOUT THE AUGUSTO ANGLE.

sa dami ng filipino fans nya, it was just a matter of time. just hope he would come back...that would be a distant

possibility though, but if they do come back...LEAVE AUGUSTO BEHIND...HE HIM BUY HIS OWN PLANE TICKET IF HE

WANTS TO TAG ALONG. by the way , he looks kinda creepy...

WELL said my friend...that augusto is a joke,,felt bad for anthony...hehe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ah, Tony Bourdain -- he's the man. I learned a lot from him. No doubt I am one of his fans (loved the episode where he went to Iceland). I wish I could write as good as him (and go to the French Laundry restaurant and get free food)

• 1 year later...

post-115838-044688200 1281328289.jpg

Copied from Wikipedia:

Top Chef is an American reality competition show that airs on the cable television network Bravo, in which chefs compete against each other in culinary challenges. They are judged by a panel of professional chefs and other notables from the food and wine industry with one or more contestants eliminated in each episode. The show is produced by Magical Elves Productions, the same company that created Project Runway.

---------------------------------------

Basic format

Each episode of Top Chef, save for the finale, has had two challenges.

In the Quickfire Challenge, each chef is asked to cook a dish with certain requirements (for example, using specific ingredients or to inspire a certain taste) or participate in a culinary-related challenge (for example, a mise en place relay or a taste test). They are usually given an hour or less to complete these tasks. A guest judge selects one or more chefs as the best in the challenge. Early in the season the winning chef(s) are granted immunity from the following Elimination Challenge. As the number of contestants dwindle no one receives immunity and instead the winner gets another "reward" (such as being team captain for a team challenge).

In the Elimination Challenge, the chefs have to prepare one or more dishes to meet the challenge requirements. Many of these are individual challenges and may require several courses, although some instances require teams to complete the challenge. Teams may be selected by the remaining contestants among themselves, but more often are selected by the random process of "drawing knives" from a butcher's block, with the team identification revealed on the blade of the knife. The chefs may have from a few hours to a few days to complete this challenge. Ingredients for Elimination Challenges are generally limited to what is present in the "Top Chef" pantry and what the chefs purchase at a food store, with a possibly limited budget. However, certain challenges may provide specific ingredients or limit the type or number of ingredients that can be used, while others require non-traditional methods of obtaining ingredients (such as asking people door-to-door). After shopping, the contestants will cook for four judges, usually including at least one guest judge. In most cases, the contestants cook for the four judges and a group of guests or customers (for example, the cowboys in Colorado). The judges and the guests sample the food and rate the individuals or teams.

After the Elimination Challenge ends, the chefs are taken to Judges' Table, where the four judges consider the guests' comments and deliberate on the best and worst dishes. The top individuals or teams are called in, and may be asked questions of their meals before they are notified of their placement. One individual is named the winner of the challenge and may be awarded an additional prize by the guest judge. Then, the bottom individuals or teams are brought to the judges, and similar discussion of their courses is played out. From this group, one chef or team is determined to be the worst, and then the host asks one chef to "pack [their] knives and go." This is usually followed by a knife packing sequence for the eliminated chef, and a clip of his or her exit video, to close out the episode. According to the credits, some elimination decisions (e.g., Cliff Crooks's disqualification in Season 2) are made in consultation with the show's producers.

The show continues in this format for 10–13 episodes, until the Finale.

Midway through each season, the contestants participate in a "Restaurant Wars" (or similarly named) Elimination Challenge. They are split into two teams, created by the winner of the previous Quickfire Challenge, or by "drawing knives". In these teams, the chefs must transform an empty space into a restaurant within a set time limit and budget, selecting and creating the name, theme, decor, and menu. According to Dale Levitski, a Season Three finalist, this is one of the contestants' most anticipated challenges. Season Four had not only "Restaurant Wars", but also "Wedding Wars".

In the final challenge, the two (or three) remaining chefs prepare a multiple course dinner with the help of other chefs. These other chefs could be previously eliminated chefs or celebrity chefs (for example, Rocco DiSpirito). The winning chef is selected based on several factors including food quality, their ability to lead their selected chefs, and general performance during the show. There is no Quickfire Challenge in this episode.

I have been a fan of the reality cooking competition TOP CHEF since I saw some clips from Season 3 on cable TV. (Channel 29 for Destiny)

Since then, I have been able to download (via torrents) all episodes from Seasons 3 up to season 6. I am currently downloading Season 7 (episodes 1 to 8) which I believe has just started airing in the US 8 weeks ago. Our local cable has just finished airing the finale of Season 6 a few weeks back.

Top Chef has part of its regular Judges in:

post-261375-047270100 1281331249.jpg

Tom Colicchio (Head Judge)

post-261375-029912900 1281331245.jpg

Padma Lakshmi (Actress, Model and Food Author); she is also the main host of Top Chef

post-261375-063157000 1281331240.jpg

Gail Simmons (Special Projects Manager of Food and Wine Magazine)

Some Special Guest/Celebrity Judges included the likes of:

post-261375-079863500 1281331236.jpg

Anthony Bourdain of NO RESERVATIONS

post-261375-029833600 1281331243.jpg

Michelle Bernstein (James Beard Awardee)

post-261375-068211500 1281331247.jpg

Rocco DiSpirito (Celebrity Chef)

post-261375-070223400 1281331238.jpg

Eric Ripert (Award Winning Seafood Chef of La Bernadin)

post-261375-012683900 1281331259.jpg

Wylie Dufresne (leading american proponent of Molecular Gastronomy)

Other notable guest judges included popular chefs like Ming Tsai, Daniel Boulod, Hubert Keller and many many more.

Just curious - which one came first, Top Chef or Iron Chef?

I think it was IRON CHEF Japan that came out first .......

by da way, now that I think about it, shouldn't this thread be more appropriate if it were placed in the TV/Movies section ????? (even if the topics of the shows are about food)

Mods ???? opinions ????

Iron chef (Japan) popularized this kitchen battle. There was also an Iron Chef America and Iron Chef UK.

I like it when they make ice cream out of the main ingredient (which are most times exotic).

I think a lot of those attempts weren't that succesful ...... I saw an episode of Iron Chef America wherein Bobby Flay tried to make ice cream out of Squash (or was it pumpkin?) and that dish bombed out. Fortunately for him his other dishes were strong so he was able to win the challenge.

I think even the host of Iron Chef America Alton Brown has mentioned several times that making ice cream out of the choice ingredient has been largely unsuccesful.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/nostalgiamanila/celebs/wok_yan-1.jpg

saka yung si manang intsik. kalimutan ko title kasi chinese din na pinapalabas yata dati sa 9 o 13.

based on the picture, you are referring to the TV show WOK WITH YAN..... Much like the title of the show being in English, even the dialogue of the show is in english (not dubbing) as it is a canadian production.

wala na nga yung good eats at east meets west.

2 of my favourite cooking shows. Alton Brown's Good Eats is never boring.

Man vs Food is also my current fave. Recently, we tried out 2 of the restos they've featured---Nascar Cafe and Hash House a-go-go. Most of the dishes we ordered were the ones featured and they weren't that great. Just really huge servings. Still, the show is fun.

No Reservations is also a good watch. I liked when he went back to being a line cook. ^^

count ba dito yung anime ? i really like the master cooking boy.... don't know what channel 'to air again.... :rolleyes:

I think there is no harm in including that here ....... I too have watched that cartoon already.

My favorite episodes would have to be the one wherein the hero goes up against Leon and his Seven Star Knives skills.