Mini Laptops

hmmm this ive got to see :D WinXP in the Asus

I just had my asus eee converted to winxp (nanghiram ako ng external dvd drive). syempre tinangal ko ang mga games, calculator, outlook express, and followed the recommendations on the asus eee manual to optimize winxp. I also opted for an office 2000 installation; only MS word, excel and powerpoint. I also installed YM and gtalk client.

It runs on Linux OS

What is the OS/version of this cutie?

The trick here is youve got to install Nokia PC Suite in the Asus , which i think is not compatible with the Linux OS

But if you have installed WinXP as OS..its a synch and should work seamlessly

Once you have the PC Suite & Nokia cable drivers installed and running, connect your N6288 using the USB cable, fire the modem option/via 3G (3.5 G/HSDPA if you have such a handset).. and you'll be able to connect to the net

I've been wanting to inquire about this. I don't want to subscribe to smartbro since i have wifi access but there are lulls in airports that i would like to maximize the time by answering emails of clients. I have a nokia 6288 which is 3G i guess - can this work with smart buddy then i connect it with my asus?
Edited by orionpax
Guest Leviticus

ang bilis ng winxp dito sa asus eee since I only use it for browsing and light office work. sinubukan ko nga i-defrag yesterday eh.. hehehehehe. it doesn't. solid state disk nga pala.

impression ko nga sa unit na eto ay overpowered siya for my needs (kahit na winxp bloatware na) kung pangsurf, email, chat and light office ko lang eto gagamitin. who knows.. maybe within this year other companies will develop a solid-state disk that can hold a higher capacity. there is definitely a market for these micro laptops.

come to think of it.. this is the only laptop that I owned that I actually place on my lap! :thumbsupsmiley:

hehe.. come march ay ipapadala ko na etong asus laptop to my gf in abroad. I really really believe she's going to like it. pagkapadala ko maghihintay lang ako ng kaunti for an asus eee next generation model. who knows.. baka maglabas nga sila ng model na may touchscreen

Edited by Leviticus

It runs on Linux OS

The trick here is youve got to install Nokia PC Suite in the Asus , which i think is not compatible with the Linux OS

But if you have installed WinXP as OS..its a synch and should work seamlessly

Once you have the PC Suite & Nokia cable drivers installed and running, connect your N6288 using the USB cable, fire the modem option/via 3G (3.5 G/HSDPA if you have such a handset).. and you'll be able to connect to the net

the good thing about using LINUX OS

you don't need to install Nokia PC Suite

as soon as you plug your USB cable connected to the Phone

the OS will immediately recognize the 3G connection

and you can browse immediately

can you recommend where and what store in taiwan is a good place to buy this laptop? maybe you can give me an exact address? TIA

I bought another Eee PC in taiwan for my sister for just around P14,200. I was supposed to get her the version without the webcam (same specs everything they said, except for the webcam) for just P11,500, but my sister ym's a lot so I got her the more expensive one instead. It came bundled with the Chinese Linux software but the store offered to change it to the Enlish Linux version for free. However, I still got the Chinese manual and software (for drivers, etc). But I really don't care since I had XP Pro installed in it when I got back. The Chinese software drivers installs the Chines Linux version but it's interface is English so installing all the necessary drivers is no problem.

I don't really like the new MSOffice 2007 so I had Office 2003 installed on both the Eee PC I purchased together with XP Pro.

I will soon experiment and install Ubuntu on my Eee PC in the next few days.

P18,000 here for the Eee PC is a bit too expensive. I probably can make some money selling Eee PC on eBay here. :thumbsupsmiley: Usually go to Taiwan every month.

Guest lustfortravel
the good thing about using LINUX OS

you don't need to install Nokia PC Suite

as soon as you plug your USB cable connected to the Phone

the OS will immediately recognize the 3G connection

and you can browse immediately

really? that's great! i actually went to a smart service center to inquire and the customer service representative said it wasn't possible to use my 3g phone with the asus since it needs a windows o/s :thumbsdownsmiley:

i better try it out. thanks for the tip!

can you recommend where and what store in taiwan is a good place to buy this laptop? maybe you can give me an exact address? TIA

Try the GuangHua district (get off from the NTU MRT station and walk past the school). If you're coming from Taipei Main Station and facing the direction of Taipei 101, then you should walk towards the left for one block.

To compare prices, go to the TsanKuenn (the one with the yellow 3C signs) store in the corner (parang Octagon sila ng pinas) and look for the Asus EEE price. Now shop around the area and if you see prices lower than that in TsanKuenn, then take it na.

You'll have to modify some things to make the OS english, though. There's a tutorial on how to do this on some websites, however.

Guest Leviticus
di ba you can buy naman yung touch screen attachment from Ebay? :unsure:

yup.. according to the howto video. pero I'm more comfortable with something designed by asus itself. hehe.. malay mo ang next feature ng asus ay longer battery life and bigger screen (as I read over the internet) while still maintaining the same overall size. sana at least 16 Gb of solid state disk na ang ilabas.

nagusap kami ng dad ko kagabi. if the price is still right, laptops like these are going to k*ll the desktop computers lalo na for the business type individual

hehe.. I'm currently here at starbucks at araneta gateway. i've just got an asus eee laptop. what can I say?!? pagkabili ko ay iniwan ko na sa car yung box, bought the charger and put the laptop inside my travelling bag (shoulder bag). pagupo ko dito and connected the wifi.. boom! surf agad. may group of students behind me that keep on looking my way, i can even hear them talking about how small, slick, and sexy this unit is.

bwahahaha.. there's a guy with an HP laptop at the couch who can't stop looking at me too. ang liit talaga ng asus laptop! the touchpad is also surprisingly easy to use (as compared to my neo laptop). medyo naninibago nga lang ako sa keyboard (medyo maliit and I've got fat fingers but I am starting to get the hang of it as I am typing this. nakakapanibago lang ang position ng right shift key because nasasapawan siya ng arrow keys).

this is a good traveling laptop, good for browsing, chatting, and checking of email.

and did I say how cute, sleek, and sexy it is? hehe. I'm going to go up later and have it gmasked.

ok ah. nakaka-engganyo na talagang bumili! i heard sa HK 15k lng 'to. how's the webcam? can u use it sa ym or u have installed xp to use it?

Guest Leviticus
ok ah. nakaka-engganyo na talagang bumili! i heard sa HK 15k lng 'to. how's the webcam? can u use it sa ym or u have installed xp to use it?

unfortunately, yes. I had to change it to XP because the wireless network at my gf's building is blocking skype. :thumbsdownsmiley:

and yes, the webcam is surprisingly clear; clearer than the webcam on my neo laptop (0.3 lang pala ang camera neto, not 1.3).

may nakita ko better na alternative sa asus eeepc..

SPECIFICATIONS:

Processor: VIA C7-M ULV 1.2Ghz (FSB400) on-board

Chipset: VX700

Graphics: integrated VX700

Audio: VT1708A, with 2 internal 1.5W built-in speaker

Memory: 1GB DDR 667

HDD: 30GB (1.8" HDD)

ASTONE UMPC

Monitor: 7" LCD Touch Screen with Handwriting capability, WVGA 800x400

LAN: 10 Base-T/100 Base TX LAN

Bluetooth: Yes, USB interface

Modem: none

Wireless LAN: Yes, IEEE 802.11b/g, USB 2.0 mini card

Battery: 4-cell 2200mAh

I/O: DVi-I, USB 2x, mic-in/Array Mic 1x, Headphone out/Line-out 1x, RJ45 1x

Webcam: Yes, built-in 0.3MP Camera

Card Reader: Yes, 4-in-1 (for SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro)

Dimension: 9.1" x 6.7" x 1.16" (230x171x29.4mm)

Weight: 0.97kg

Guest Leviticus
may nakita ko better na alternative sa asus eeepc..

SPECIFICATIONS:

Processor: VIA C7-M ULV 1.2Ghz (FSB400) on-board

Chipset: VX700

Graphics: integrated VX700

Audio: VT1708A, with 2 internal 1.5W built-in speaker

Memory: 1GB DDR 667

HDD: 30GB (1.8" HDD)

ASTONE UMPC

Monitor: 7" LCD Touch Screen with Handwriting capability, WVGA 800x400

LAN: 10 Base-T/100 Base TX LAN

Bluetooth: Yes, USB interface

Modem: none

Wireless LAN: Yes, IEEE 802.11b/g, USB 2.0 mini card

Battery: 4-cell 2200mAh

I/O: DVi-I, USB 2x, mic-in/Array Mic 1x, Headphone out/Line-out 1x, RJ45 1x

Webcam: Yes, built-in 0.3MP Camera

Card Reader: Yes, 4-in-1 (for SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro)

Dimension: 9.1" x 6.7" x 1.16" (230x171x29.4mm)

Weight: 0.97kg

how much eto?