sbm

What are unique thai ingredients not usually found here?

They use

lemon grass, wansoi, pandan, dahon sili which are also locally available

Well, among them are Kaffir lime, a type of lime that can be compared probably to our dayap but with a different tanginess; galanggal, a type of ginger that is pungent in a very different way; the Thais also have different types of coriander (wansoi)--sweet, pungent, strong--we have coriander here but we don't normally use it in our cuisine. The Thais also use mint leaves a lot, as well as tamarind paste. They have other pre-made pastes--shrimp, fish, chili. Also pre-made sauces made specifically for certain dishes. I have seen some of these pastes and spices in supermarkets here, but very limited types. Yes, we have lemon grass and pandan too but again we don't really use it that much in our food. Other herbs have Thai names and I don't know their equivalent here. I'm sure some organic farms produce these herbs and spices, but then again the prices may be quite high. The thing with Thia foo, like Indian food, uses much more spices and herbs that Pinoy food, so the lack of any single one will really make a difference in taste.

nung napunta ako Bangkok, kumain ako sa palengke, kumain ako hilaw na sitaw... eeewww, kasi gusto ko authentic na turo-turo kaya hayun tuloy, maanghang lahat!

Northeast (Isan) Thai cuisine is usually accompanied by raw vegetables, like beans, cabbage and herbs. Also, the rice used is the kao neaw (sticky rice). You roll it into balls, dip in sauce and eat with your hands. It is great with their version of barbecued chicken (gai yang) and lap moo (minced pork with mint, onions, chili). The sticky rice can also be dipped into coconut milk and eaten with sweet mango as dessert. HEAVEN!

• 2 weeks later...
i think its som's you guys are talking about, near rockwell at hte other side of the fence. you just make a hard right upon reaching the intersection in front of the belair gate. i hope this answers yor questions

tried somm's last weekend, the one in reposo, yummy and the price is good. still, they're red curry is not that hot. hindi nakakapawis and paso dila. i'm sure i'm going back there because the food is good and the people are nice.

Edited by charmee

Where can we find the entrance of this resto? its is inside the fence of this village

i think its som's you guys are talking about, near rockwell at hte other side of the fence. you just make a hard right upon reaching the intersection in front of the belair gate. i hope this answers yor questions
Where can we find the entrance of this resto? its is inside the fence of this village

if it's somm's in reposo...

from edsa (southbound), turn left to guadalupe, turn left again to jp rizal, then when

you see jollibe on your right that's reposo street already, turn left (there's a gasoline

station at the corner), then go straight lang and you should see somm's sa right side.

almost katapat na 'lavandera ko' ang somm's.

happy eating.

PEOPLE, SMB this is why i got confused by the directions given

THE ORIGINAL SOMS is the CARINDERIA SOMS SOMEWHERE IN ROCKWELL !!!!

SBM That is why you got confused when i gave the directions

This one mentioned by charmee is a BRANCH close to PLDT in REPOSO

THE ORIGINAL SOMS SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:

if it's somm's in reposo...

from edsa (southbound), turn left to guadalupe, turn left again to jp rizal, then when

you see jollibe on your right that's reposo street already, turn left (there's a gasoline

station at the corner), then go straight lang and you should see somm's sa right side.

almost katapat na 'lavandera ko' ang somm's.

happy eating.

post-61098-1173420951.jpg

post-61098-1173420972.jpg

Edited by lomex32
PEOPLE, SMB this is why i got confused by the directions given

THE ORIGINAL SOMS is the CARINDERIA SOMS SOMEWHERE IN ROCKWELL !!!!

SBM That is why you got confused when i gave the directions

This one mentioned by charmee is a BRANCH close to PLDT in REPOSO

THE ORIGINAL SOMS SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:

oopss..we're talking about two different resto's pala. i'll try to find soms in alger.

please keep us posted once you've tried this.

The THAI FOOD here sucked and sucks ....

Bagoong Rice .... forget it ...

The spring roll ... talk about factory made

The Thai Tea - A mediocre version of Teh Tarik (Malaysian/Indian) The real thing

is made from fresh tea leaves and made frothy

@ SBM

do not bother .... my colleague thought about a hidden resto so i brought her here ...

3 dishes, 2 cups of rice, 2 drinks = total bill might be 350-400.
The THAI FOOD here sucked and sucks ....

Bagoong Rice .... forget it ...

The spring roll ... talk about factory made

The Thai Tea - A mediocre version of Teh Tarik (Malaysian/Indian) The real thing

is made from fresh tea leaves and made frothy

@ SBM

do not bother .... my colleague thought about a hidden resto so i brought her here ...

Talaga? How disappointing! Did you try the tom yam? Actually, there is no such thing as bagoong rice served on the streets of Bangkok. The same with chicken wrapped in pandan leaves that I notice is on the menu in every Thai resto in Manila.. The Thais have their own bagoong that is similar to what we have here. But it is never served together with rice.

At the next table they ordered the Tom Yam ... the smell seemed OK

when it passed by our table

Ang comment ko lang ... the food seemed to be pre-cooked

Talaga? How disappointing! Did you try the tom yam? Actually, there is no such thing as bagoong rice served on the streets of Bangkok. The same with chicken wrapped in pandan leaves that I notice is on the menu in every Thai resto in Manila.. The Thais have their own bagoong that is similar to what we have here. But it is never served together with rice.

Gotta love their curries. (Red, Green or Yellow) As long as it's mildly spicy and plunged with coconut milk. Any meat/vegetable that goes with it tastes great. Although it is a Malay/Thai fusion like resto, I recomend Penang Hill (greenhills and Shang) Large servings and good prices. I love their crispy catfish salad. Sisig like crunchiness and aroma of diced catfish meat with green mango strips, chilis and peanuts topped with lemon dressing. The ultimate appetizer.